Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gentrification 14:29 - Jan 2 with 6510 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

And the erosion of working class culture. I used to pop in here when I worked on Bollo Lane. Quite a few R's were regulars here too.

No irony that this article is written in the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/31/loss-working-mens-club-disaster-
Gentrification on 15:07 - Jan 3 with 1000 viewsBoston

Gentrification on 10:25 - Jan 3 by BrianMcCarthy

Rest of Ireland is far cheaper, yes.

Even most pubs in Dublin are cheaper than that.

Price of Stout

West Cork - €4.20
Cork City - €4.50
Dublin locals - €5.00 to €5.50
Dublin tourist pubs - €7.00+

Wine in offies - €9 or €10 upwards
Not sure about other drinks.

Young Master Boston is currently living in Waterford City 5/5.50 per pint.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Gentrification on 15:14 - Jan 3 with 993 viewsBoston

Gentrification on 12:57 - Jan 3 by Konk

Cocktails can do one. Unless it's a party that I can't get out of, you will never find me in a place with a cocktail menu. You wait four days to be served, whilst some t wat in a shirt, tie, waistcoat and hat fannies about making a drink and the fu ckers charge you about £64 for a bottle of Camden Pale Ale. And they always, always say "Who's next?" when they've finally finished serving the person in front. And "Who's next?" is just an invitation for the worse sort of sh its to say, "Me!" even though you've been there twice as long as them. I'm getting wound-up just thinking about it. Fuc k 'em.

Spot on mate. Was drinking in Sketch just off Regents St the other night and I could have bought a flat in Shepherds Bush for the amount the bill came too. I won’t be going back, very uncomfortable drinking in an establishment that has four Chelsea players sitting beside ya.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Gentrification on 15:16 - Jan 3 with 995 viewsMistication92

Gentrification on 09:24 - Jan 3 by hubble

Indeed. The culture has changed. The double whammy combination of the internet and a rapidly changing demographic means clubs and pubs such as these will soon be no more than fading memories. I find it deeply ironic that so-called 'social media' actually has the opposite effect to what we think of as social.

Not just that, also fewer young people drink alcohol, or at least as much as their demographic used to. I'm 27, I like going somewhere to meet with friends but it doesn't always have to be a pub, could be a coffee shop or restaurant etc.

In that sense I can see why pubs are moving away from just alcohol to decent food and a more comfortable atmosphere.
Gentrification on 16:07 - Jan 3 with 966 viewsMrSheen

Thinking about how things have changed, people still get involved in activities, such as choirs, book clubs, Parkrun and volunteering, but don’t want to join formal associations, with membership dues and premises. We’re so spoiled by having easy access to entertainment like Spotify and Netflix at home that they don’t want to get involved in homespun interactions with people they feel they don’t know.

Can I ask how many clubs and associations people here belong to? Apart from a couple of work-related professional bodies, not much in my case. I was a member of the local rugby club where I coached, but I gave it up last summer. I’m a member of two national societies, relating to music and volunteering, but my direct involvement in either is very limited. My youngest will be off to college soon so I’ll make more of an effort to put myself out soon.
Gentrification on 19:36 - Jan 3 with 867 viewsQPR_Jim

Gentrification on 08:11 - Jan 3 by Metallica_Hoop

When I think about all the small music venues/clubs I frequenteted in the 90's nearly all are gone now.

All the nice old boozers got turned into stripped to the brick wall or painted hospital white, characterless poindexter magnets. (deliberately in my opinion) No one went to these eyesores so the net result was closeure and then sold and turned in to more flats or supermarkets and flats.

It makes my blood boil.

We do however need to reduce beer tax to make pubs more profitable.

I suppose that the counter argument to reducing the tax is that drinking isn't great for health and therefore could encourage excessive drinking and put a further strain on the NHS.

It used to be (maybe 20 years ago) all the media seemed to go on about was binge drinking and associated stories. But now pubs are expensive but it's cheap enough to buy from supermarkets. Thing is the landlord used to take responsibility for making sure that the punters weren't too drunk. With supermarkets and to a certain extent nightclubs, they don't seem to have this concern. So it would probably be better for pubs and society if the tax rate was reduced on beer sold in pubs with traditional opening hours, kept high in nightclubs and pubs open until late and drastically increased on supermarkets. It may just make the remaining pubs profitable enough to stop them becoming primarily eateries.
Gentrification on 21:58 - Jan 3 with 811 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Gentrification on 15:07 - Jan 3 by Boston

Young Master Boston is currently living in Waterford City 5/5.50 per pint.

Wow! That's outrageous.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gentrification on 22:25 - Jan 3 with 779 viewsGroveR

Gentrification on 21:58 - Jan 3 by BrianMcCarthy

Wow! That's outrageous.

I was back in the motherland (Dún Bleisce) for Christmas and lager (Bud) was €4.50
Gentrification on 23:54 - Jan 3 with 730 viewstimcocking

Sad.
Login to get fewer ads

Gentrification on 02:05 - Jan 4 with 692 viewsPunteR

Just another stealth momentum thread by Baz

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Gentrification on 09:26 - Jan 4 with 584 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Gentrification on 02:05 - Jan 4 by PunteR

Just another stealth momentum thread by Baz

Though better of you than that Punt. That place is a place close to my heart as I used to drink in there and as others have mentioned the whole thing is administered by a Labour council so I’m hardly scoring points for my tribe am I.

My partner still works on Bollo Lane so I’ve seen the monstrous ‘luxury flats’ that have swept council tenants out of the area.

Don’t become a swivel eyed loon like the rest of them.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 9:41]
Gentrification on 10:27 - Jan 4 with 521 viewsPunteR

Gentrification on 09:26 - Jan 4 by BazzaInTheLoft

Though better of you than that Punt. That place is a place close to my heart as I used to drink in there and as others have mentioned the whole thing is administered by a Labour council so I’m hardly scoring points for my tribe am I.

My partner still works on Bollo Lane so I’ve seen the monstrous ‘luxury flats’ that have swept council tenants out of the area.

Don’t become a swivel eyed loon like the rest of them.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 9:41]

Sorry, cheap shot from me. Should have put a cheeky emoji in there.
Id vote for a swivel eyed loony party though..lol

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Gentrification on 10:36 - Jan 4 with 507 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I know someone who runs a pub and he told me about 7 years ago he makes 3p (ish) on every pint which is ridiculous.

He makes his money from food, the jukebox and the pool table.

I'm a member of Camra like some here and it's nice to see the campaign to save pubs is bearing some fruit now.

(this was what he told me maybe another landlord/owner can confirm)
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 10:39]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024