Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paris 11:37 - Jan 27 with 4418 viewsstowmarketrange

I’m on the 7pm Eurostar on Saturday night for the rugby on Sunday and we’re staying quite close to Gare du Nord station until Monday night,but I’ve only ever been to Paris once,and that was only for a few hours but that was almost 40 years ago.
Any tips for bars,food or travelling around the place would be very welcome.And things to do and see would be good too.
Thanks.
Paris on 11:43 - Jan 27 with 2739 viewsmakaveli1882

Hi Phil its Smithy I am on same train, so it I dont see you at St Panc then hopefully see you on other side.

I'm not an expect on Paris but will probably head Moulin Rouge on saturday night and catch you matchday.

Would also welcome any tips
Paris on 11:49 - Jan 27 with 2716 viewsBlackCrowe

You lucky people.

No tips really but if it's an England victory then the bars around Gare Du Nord is where everyone congregates and is the place to be to celebrate en masse.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Paris on 11:52 - Jan 27 with 2708 viewsstowmarketrange

Paris on 11:43 - Jan 27 by makaveli1882

Hi Phil its Smithy I am on same train, so it I dont see you at St Panc then hopefully see you on other side.

I'm not an expect on Paris but will probably head Moulin Rouge on saturday night and catch you matchday.

Would also welcome any tips

Isn’t that where they have risqué dancing and semi nude women?Or am I mixing it up with Stowmarket on giro day?
The champagne will be open on the train for the 5-0 win on Saturday.Bring your own glasses though mate.
Paris on 11:54 - Jan 27 with 2704 viewsMrSheen

Paris on 11:49 - Jan 27 by BlackCrowe

You lucky people.

No tips really but if it's an England victory then the bars around Gare Du Nord is where everyone congregates and is the place to be to celebrate en masse.

Terminus Nord across the road from the station is a classic 1900-style brasserie. Good food, and the service is quick if you're in a hurry to get somewhere. Much better than you'd expect in such a tourist trap spot.
Paris on 12:06 - Jan 27 with 2649 viewsLblock

Thought that Paris was an awful place when I went a few years back - we had a great time at the L'Arc and I went with a good crowd for a stag but I wouldn't rush back to Paris at all.

Be VERY careful around the Moulin area (and Paris in general). We were a mob of about 20 and 3 got mugged for their phones in separate incidents -- that's quite a high ratio to me.
It's expensive, dirty and oppressive and after late doors you stick out like a sore thumb if you're not of North African heritage.

Good luck and enjoy the game!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Paris on 12:16 - Jan 27 with 2625 viewsMetallica_Hoop

They sell pints here. I found it by accident when I got caught up in one of thiose huge union protests on the way to an Epica gig.

I left there very lively to continue my walk to Monmartre.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Paris on 12:19 - Jan 27 with 2609 viewsMaggsinho

Paris is fairly small and easily walkable - you can easily walk from Gare du Nord south and all the way into the 5th arrondisement - the Left Bank where there are lots of nice bars, shops and a brilliant food market. The walk will take you past the Notre Dame, the Pompidou Centre, the Pantheon, etc,etc and over the river so a nice way to see the city.

Easy to hop on the Metro back to your hotel at the end of the day too.
Paris on 12:22 - Jan 27 with 2600 viewsRs_Holy

Paris on 12:06 - Jan 27 by Lblock

Thought that Paris was an awful place when I went a few years back - we had a great time at the L'Arc and I went with a good crowd for a stag but I wouldn't rush back to Paris at all.

Be VERY careful around the Moulin area (and Paris in general). We were a mob of about 20 and 3 got mugged for their phones in separate incidents -- that's quite a high ratio to me.
It's expensive, dirty and oppressive and after late doors you stick out like a sore thumb if you're not of North African heritage.

have to agree although it was around 15 years ago I went!
We found it almost impossible to find decent food. Even really shabby stuff was very expensive.
The stadium is in a rough district. I know someone who went a few years ago, got very drunk and lost contact with his group... naturally he got mugged, and they roughed him up a bit for good measure.
On the plus side when we went Roy Wegerle was on the same open top bus as us... Unfortunately I did not go up and chat because he was with his famliy ... regret it now :(
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 8:24]
Login to get fewer ads

Paris on 12:26 - Jan 27 with 2583 viewsBuckR

Awful city to be honest and about 9 euros a pint in most places
Paris on 12:33 - Jan 27 with 2548 viewsstowmarketrange

So apart from the expensive beer,crap food and the very real chance of getting mugged,What is wrong with Paris?
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 12:34]
Paris on 12:59 - Jan 27 with 2494 viewsRs_Holy

Paris on 12:33 - Jan 27 by stowmarketrange

So apart from the expensive beer,crap food and the very real chance of getting mugged,What is wrong with Paris?
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 12:34]

you wont care about the surroundings if England stuff the French
Paris on 13:42 - Jan 27 with 2434 viewsKonk

I had two very different experiences in Paris.

I first went to Paris about 20 years ago and was pretty indifferent to the place. Stayed in Saint-Germain and it was ridiculously pricey and a bit 6/10. Revisited 6 years ago, and because we'd seen most of the tourist bits, just wandered about and focussed more on eating and drinking, which we mainly did around the 11th Arrondissement. Plenty of good spots for both and prices were on a par with London. As with most cities, if you want cheap food, it pays to go "ethnic" - we had some really good North African food, Thai food and also had some good lunches in traditional bistros, where set lunches were pretty decent value.

We found quite a few nice, reasonably-priced places around Canal Saint-Martin, in the 10th, which isn't far from Gare de Nord. I can't remember any specific places, but if you google either the 11th Arrondissement or Canal Saint-Martin, you should be able to get a feel for the areas. It helped that the sun was shining, but I loved it 2nd time around; it's a beautiful city, the people were fine and I loved sitting outside watching the world go by. Beers were similar prices to London in the 10th-11th, and it probably makes sense to switch to wine if you're wanting a cheaper trip.

Have a great trip.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Paris on 13:46 - Jan 27 with 2419 viewsMick_S

Nah.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Paris on 14:24 - Jan 27 with 2364 viewssmegma

Paris on 12:26 - Jan 27 by BuckR

Awful city to be honest and about 9 euros a pint in most places

Ive heard it all now
Paris on 14:37 - Jan 27 with 2340 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I was very pleasantly surprised when I went last April for the first time in years. I think it probably depends where you stay but we were in Notre-Dame-Des-Champs which was lovely. There is a lot to see and do there and travelling is very easy.

The only area I found a bit dubious was around Montemarte.
Paris on 14:42 - Jan 27 with 2334 viewsericgen34

Having lived in Paris several years and going there several times a year (this week as well), I am quite baffled about the 'can't get decent food' comments there, I guess fat greasy chips soaked in vinegar are not easy to find ;-)

Depends what you are looking for really. Like all capital cities it has its good and bad bits. Around Gare du Nord is not great, I think around the river in the middle is walking distance, it is pretty and you can find lots of nice bars/restaurants. Around Republique and le Marais is really nice too.

Last time we went in December, we went there https://www.heberestaurant.com/, 100 yards from Notre Dames, and it was very nice.

You wont have much time to do much I think. The Louvre is always great but you need a lot of time. If you like naive paintings there is a fabulous expo at musee Maillol right now
Paris on 15:24 - Jan 27 with 2270 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Paris on 14:42 - Jan 27 by ericgen34

Having lived in Paris several years and going there several times a year (this week as well), I am quite baffled about the 'can't get decent food' comments there, I guess fat greasy chips soaked in vinegar are not easy to find ;-)

Depends what you are looking for really. Like all capital cities it has its good and bad bits. Around Gare du Nord is not great, I think around the river in the middle is walking distance, it is pretty and you can find lots of nice bars/restaurants. Around Republique and le Marais is really nice too.

Last time we went in December, we went there https://www.heberestaurant.com/, 100 yards from Notre Dames, and it was very nice.

You wont have much time to do much I think. The Louvre is always great but you need a lot of time. If you like naive paintings there is a fabulous expo at musee Maillol right now

The Louvre is massive but Musee D'Orsay has a fantastic collection of Impressionist art and a good few Van Goghs as well.
Paris on 15:27 - Jan 27 with 2262 viewsericgen34

Paris on 15:24 - Jan 27 by CroydonCaptJack

The Louvre is massive but Musee D'Orsay has a fantastic collection of Impressionist art and a good few Van Goghs as well.

Yep, like the Louvre it is often tricky to get in, long queues and you need a lot of time
Paris on 15:35 - Jan 27 with 2238 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Paris on 15:27 - Jan 27 by ericgen34

Yep, like the Louvre it is often tricky to get in, long queues and you need a lot of time

Yes, you do. It was something I particularly wanted to see so I pre-booked. I wanted to go to the Musee de L'Orangerie as well to see the Monets but we ran out of time.
Paris on 15:36 - Jan 27 with 2230 viewsthame_hoops

Agree, its like when Americans complain about English food in London, do your research and you will find what you want!

and there is nothing wrong with fat greasy chips in vinegar

enjoy your trip and leave the Rolex at home
Paris on 15:47 - Jan 27 with 2205 viewsericgen34

Paris on 15:36 - Jan 27 by thame_hoops

Agree, its like when Americans complain about English food in London, do your research and you will find what you want!

and there is nothing wrong with fat greasy chips in vinegar

enjoy your trip and leave the Rolex at home

> and there is nothing wrong with fat greasy chips in vinegar

haha, indeed nothing wrong at all!
Paris on 15:48 - Jan 27 with 2205 viewsBlackCrowe

I'd agree with this. I struggle to think of a bad meal i've had in Paris. Nowhere does reasonably priced simple bistro better imo.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Paris on 15:49 - Jan 27 with 2201 viewssmegma

A shame you don't get there earlier as Red Star Paris are at home.
Paris on 16:15 - Jan 27 with 2154 viewsstowmarketrange

Thanks for all the suggestions people.We aren’t there long enough to see everything,but probably long enough to see everything I want to.
A walk along the Seine might be an idea for Sunday morning,but I’ll be leaving the snails and frogs legs alone.
Cheers.
Paris on 17:11 - Jan 27 with 2093 viewsdistortR

Paris on 12:06 - Jan 27 by Lblock

yeah, i got robbed near there a couple of years ago, was with my wife and kids.

Don't bother reporting it to their police either - if it's not reported (And christ they made it difficult) it didn't happen and doesn't need clearing up/ documenting

edit - wonderful city though
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 17:14]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024