Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pinner 11:36 - Feb 15 with 1601 viewsNorthernr

Can you explain that Wolves offside to me last night? Doesn’t the ball have to travel forwards?
Pinner on 11:49 - Feb 15 with 1573 viewsPinnerPaul

Haven't seen it yet Clive.

Direction of travel of the ball isn't a criteria for judging offside but given that you are onside if the ball is between you and the goal line when played by your team (irrespective of position/number of defenders) then USUALLY, but not always, if the ball goes backwards then its likely you are going be onside.

I'll watch it on MOTD later and give you my verdict!
Pinner on 11:53 - Feb 15 with 1554 viewsNorthernr

Pinner on 11:58 - Feb 15 with 1532 viewsPinnerPaul

Pinner on 11:53 - Feb 15 by Northernr

Yep by the letter of the law that's offside.

Of course we're back to the VAR debate - no one appealed, no one saw or could be expected to see that in real time.

Pre VAR days no post match analysis would ever pick this up.

Of course GKs can still move a foot or two off the line at penalties and that's OK, but toenails offside are a no no.

and breathe...………...…......….
Pinner on 12:02 - Feb 15 with 1515 viewsWalnut

Not to be dim Pinner, at what point was the offence? That still with the lines was taken when the ball was played backwards?
Pinner on 12:08 - Feb 15 with 1488 viewsPinnerPaul

Pinner on 12:02 - Feb 15 by Walnut

Not to be dim Pinner, at what point was the offence? That still with the lines was taken when the ball was played backwards?

As I said above direction of travel of the ball is NOT a criteria for judging offside - as the neither the ball nor 2 opponents between him (well half an inch of his heel) and the goal line when ball was played then TECHNICALLY offside.
Pinner on 12:10 - Feb 15 with 1472 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Pinner on 12:02 - Feb 15 by Walnut

This might help explain from the other side. Clearly onside.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Pinner on 12:20 - Feb 15 with 1446 viewsWalnut

Pinner on 12:08 - Feb 15 by PinnerPaul

As I said above direction of travel of the ball is NOT a criteria for judging offside - as the neither the ball nor 2 opponents between him (well half an inch of his heel) and the goal line when ball was played then TECHNICALLY offside.

Ok, thanks but I must admit, that's a new one on me.
Is this a new (ish) law? There was always that perception that one couldn't be offside if behind the ball when it was played?
Pinner on 12:29 - Feb 15 with 1410 viewsPinnerPaul

Pinner on 12:20 - Feb 15 by Walnut

Is this a new (ish) law? There was always that perception that one couldn't be offside if behind the ball when it was played?

That's correct, but 2mm of his heel is NOT behind the ball, so technically offside.
Login to get fewer ads

Pinner on 13:03 - Feb 15 with 1356 viewsWatford_Ranger

Not worth its own thread until it really kicks off but Stroud is overseeing one nicely bubbling over at West Brom. An incredible appointment for a game of this importance really.
Pinner on 13:40 - Feb 15 with 1285 viewsClive_Anderson

I thought part of being offside was in gaining an advantage by being beyond the last man?

Since the way the ball was passed to him there was no advantage having a toe further forward, I don't think it should be offside.

Also something I've noticed, if the player is offside and then later in the same play the ball is crossed in and there's a goal then VAR would go back and give offside....but if it's offside which leads to a corner that is then crossed in to score then they don't go back that far and the goal stands.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2020 14:09]
Pinner on 22:23 - Feb 15 with 985 viewsterryb

Pinner on 12:20 - Feb 15 by Walnut

That's the problem - Percetion!

Many people that understand football & the laws of the game have been under the misconception that you can't be offside if the ball is played backwards. This has mainly been created by commentators/pundits who have repeatedly stated this, just as McManaman owned up to last night.

It certainly isn't a new law, it has been that way since the laws were first written. You are in an offside position if you are in front of the ball unless.......

It took me ages to realise that offside was given against the corner taker when the ball was passed to him, but I then had a sneaky respect for them spotting this!
Pinner on 22:32 - Feb 15 with 950 viewsPinnerPaul

Pinner on 13:40 - Feb 15 by Clive_Anderson

I thought part of being offside was in gaining an advantage by being beyond the last man?

Since the way the ball was passed to him there was no advantage having a toe further forward, I don't think it should be offside.

Also something I've noticed, if the player is offside and then later in the same play the ball is crossed in and there's a goal then VAR would go back and give offside....but if it's offside which leads to a corner that is then crossed in to score then they don't go back that far and the goal stands.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2020 14:09]

Advantage not mentioned in offside law - he plays the ball, his heel is offside when he does so, therefore he is offside.
Pinner on 09:48 - Feb 16 with 753 viewsJuzzie

If that’s offside we may as well pack up and go home.

Ridiculous decision.
Pinner on 10:16 - Feb 16 with 705 viewsnix

The thing is though, if you were allowed to just come from an offside position but run in and get the ball, even if it was played backwards, wouldn't it make it a nightmare to defend. Because a defence who is holding the line doesn't have to worry about people coming from behind them, but they would if you could come from an offside position or have I missed something?
Pinner on 10:31 - Feb 16 with 680 viewsWalnut

Pinner on 22:23 - Feb 15 by terryb

That's the problem - Percetion!

Many people that understand football & the laws of the game have been under the misconception that you can't be offside if the ball is played backwards. This has mainly been created by commentators/pundits who have repeatedly stated this, just as McManaman owned up to last night.

It certainly isn't a new law, it has been that way since the laws were first written. You are in an offside position if you are in front of the ball unless.......

It took me ages to realise that offside was given against the corner taker when the ball was passed to him, but I then had a sneaky respect for them spotting this!

Maybe I phrased that badly, so, can you still be offside if you are behind the ball when it's played? (Which is different to the direction of the ball question)
Pinner on 12:51 - Feb 16 with 621 viewsterryb

Pinner on 10:31 - Feb 16 by Walnut

Maybe I phrased that badly, so, can you still be offside if you are behind the ball when it's played? (Which is different to the direction of the ball question)

No you can't, but in this instance the corner taker was in front of the ball & offside (fractionally) when it was played back to him. Just one ankle in front of the defender & the ball!

Factually he was offside, but do I believe that VAR was not brought in to rule on matters so clos? NO! I don't think one player or official on the pitch had considered that the crosser of the ball was offside & that VAR was only covering whether Doherty was off when the ball was crossed.
Pinner on 13:52 - Feb 16 with 579 viewsPinnerPaul

Pinner on 10:31 - Feb 16 by Walnut

Correct - No you can't be.

If the ball is between you and the goal line when it is played to you - any direction - then you can't be offside.
Pinner on 13:52 - Feb 16 with 574 viewsPinnerPaul

Pinner on 12:51 - Feb 16 by terryb

No you can't, but in this instance the corner taker was in front of the ball & offside (fractionally) when it was played back to him. Just one ankle in front of the defender & the ball!

Factually he was offside, but do I believe that VAR was not brought in to rule on matters so clos? NO! I don't think one player or official on the pitch had considered that the crosser of the ball was offside & that VAR was only covering whether Doherty was off when the ball was crossed.

Exactly what I said above Terry - agree 100%!
Pinner on 14:02 - Feb 16 with 560 viewsQPR_John

Pinner on 13:52 - Feb 16 by PinnerPaul

Correct - No you can't be.

If the ball is between you and the goal line when it is played to you - any direction - then you can't be offside.

I always thought it was simpler than that. A player cannot be offside if he is behind a player who is onside
Pinner on 14:07 - Feb 16 with 548 viewsPinnerPaul

Pinner on 14:02 - Feb 16 by QPR_John

I always thought it was simpler than that. A player cannot be offside if he is behind a player who is onside

Blimey - THAT's not simple at all!

As said above - you don't need any defenders between you and the goal line if the ball is.

Best example of this is when two players are through on GK -no other defenders in sight.

As long as player without the ball is behind the ball when it is passed to him by teammate - and that can forwards or backwards - he is onside.
Pinner on 14:12 - Feb 16 with 542 viewsQPR_John

Pinner on 14:07 - Feb 16 by PinnerPaul

Blimey - THAT's not simple at all!

As said above - you don't need any defenders between you and the goal line if the ball is.

Best example of this is when two players are through on GK -no other defenders in sight.

As long as player without the ball is behind the ball when it is passed to him by teammate - and that can forwards or backwards - he is onside.

"As long as player without the ball is behind the ball when it is passed to him by teammate - and that can forwards or backwards"

Surely that is what I was saying. If a player is behind the ball he must also be behind the passer of the ball
Pinner on 14:32 - Feb 16 with 513 viewsPinnerPaul

Pinner on 14:12 - Feb 16 by QPR_John

"As long as player without the ball is behind the ball when it is passed to him by teammate - and that can forwards or backwards"

Surely that is what I was saying. If a player is behind the ball he must also be behind the passer of the ball

Yes - see what you mean now - 'ball' is easier though I think!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024