Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Art of Defending 18:49 - Feb 29 with 5884 viewsLblock

Done with crayons and potato prints

Hats off to Dom Ball today, full of energy commitment and desire.
Worked hard to protect the back four
I’d of feared for us without him.

Can we please drop the zonal bollox? We’ve not got the players for it!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Art of Defending on 15:39 - Mar 1 with 1368 viewsjonno

Based on the standard of other teams in the division, I reckon we only have to improve by 5% at the back, and the same up front next season and we'll get promoted.
The Art of Defending on 16:01 - Mar 1 with 1343 viewsPinnerPaul

While I agree our defending at set pieces IS woeful, we're not alone.

Its a football thing I guess not to mention the same woefulness when your side benefits, for our 1st Birmingham's defending equally as poor as ours - Jordan and Marc both unmarked and I'm sure if one of ours had given away the stupid free kick that led to the goal he would have got dog's abuse on here
The Art of Defending on 16:44 - Mar 1 with 1320 viewsTacticalR

The problem is that if we start defending corners we won't let in 2 goals a game and we will completely lose our identity.

Air hostess clique

The Art of Defending on 17:17 - Mar 1 with 1300 viewsTGRRRSSS

Does any side really have success in Zonal marking, it seems rare if it is.

Personally I never understand why at Corners (for example) we don't have people on front and back post at all times.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 17:23]
The Art of Defending on 01:37 - Mar 2 with 1231 viewskarl

Not commenting on our general set piece defending as I've not seen enough to say either way but what I've always followed is if you're up against a big side who have dangerous aerial threat then fill the box and make sure you block as much movement as possible, against a team you can dominate in the air then have attacking players outside the box and in forward areas to take advantage of this weakness, they'll commit less players as well.
Only zonal marking there should be I think is on back post and someone arms length off the front post and just ahead of it, no one should get in front of him as he clears the mis hit near post attempt, if he has to push forward away from the post to stay in front of a forward then someone else takes his post position, I can't see how leaving players free to make unhindered runs can work.
Don't forget MW lost the Scottish Cup final 3-2 against Hibs from 2 corners in the last 5 mins, if that wasn't a painful enough kick up the backside I'm not sure what it will take tbh
The Art of Defending on 07:20 - Mar 2 with 1201 viewsdistortR

The Art of Defending on 01:37 - Mar 2 by karl

Not commenting on our general set piece defending as I've not seen enough to say either way but what I've always followed is if you're up against a big side who have dangerous aerial threat then fill the box and make sure you block as much movement as possible, against a team you can dominate in the air then have attacking players outside the box and in forward areas to take advantage of this weakness, they'll commit less players as well.
Only zonal marking there should be I think is on back post and someone arms length off the front post and just ahead of it, no one should get in front of him as he clears the mis hit near post attempt, if he has to push forward away from the post to stay in front of a forward then someone else takes his post position, I can't see how leaving players free to make unhindered runs can work.
Don't forget MW lost the Scottish Cup final 3-2 against Hibs from 2 corners in the last 5 mins, if that wasn't a painful enough kick up the backside I'm not sure what it will take tbh

was this rehearsed for the job interview?!
The Art of Defending on 10:07 - Mar 2 with 1150 viewsDorse

Can't remember the last time I saw a zone score. Players, on the other hand, seem to do it quite often, so I recommend marking them.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Art of Defending on 10:16 - Mar 2 with 1135 viewsMick_S

The Art of Defending on 10:07 - Mar 2 by Dorse

Can't remember the last time I saw a zone score. Players, on the other hand, seem to do it quite often, so I recommend marking them.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Login to get fewer ads

The Art of Defending on 10:21 - Mar 2 with 1129 viewspeterlund_dk

According to: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/7840/Stages/17629/Te

We have conceded:
35 from open play (4th worst in the championship)
2 from counter attacks (par for the Championship)
17 from set pieces (3rd worst in the Championship)
7 from penalties (2nd worst in the Championship)
0 from own goals

Luton has conceded a whopping 52 goals from open play and only 8 from set pieces.
Huddersfield (18) and Wigan (19) have conceded more goals from set pieces than us.
The Art of Defending on 12:15 - Mar 2 with 1092 viewskarl

The Art of Defending on 07:20 - Mar 2 by distortR

was this rehearsed for the job interview?!

Spent too long thinking about sh#t like this and been left behind!
The Art of Defending on 19:24 - Mar 2 with 1011 viewsdistortR

The Art of Defending on 12:15 - Mar 2 by karl

Spent too long thinking about sh#t like this and been left behind!

hope not, mate
The Art of Defending on 23:39 - Mar 2 with 955 viewsCiderwithRsie

The Art of Defending on 10:21 - Mar 2 by peterlund_dk

According to: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/7840/Stages/17629/Te

We have conceded:
35 from open play (4th worst in the championship)
2 from counter attacks (par for the Championship)
17 from set pieces (3rd worst in the Championship)
7 from penalties (2nd worst in the Championship)
0 from own goals

Luton has conceded a whopping 52 goals from open play and only 8 from set pieces.
Huddersfield (18) and Wigan (19) have conceded more goals from set pieces than us.

Interesting, given our rep for Keeganball, that our concession rate vs counter-attack is merely par. Looks like we could improve quite bit by stopping giving away penalties (which might be disguising the counter-attack stat though) and, as per the OP, being better at set-pieces esp. corners. That shouldn't be incompatible with being an attacking side as we have the chance to get all our players back.
The Art of Defending on 00:21 - Mar 3 with 950 viewsEmpireStateRanger

On a positive note, we have gotten a lot better at limiting the penalties. Seemed like we were giving up one a match early in the season.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 0:21]
The Art of Defending on 01:43 - Mar 3 with 931 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Art of Defending on 00:21 - Mar 3 by EmpireStateRanger

On a positive note, we have gotten a lot better at limiting the penalties. Seemed like we were giving up one a match early in the season.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 0:21]

This is true.

3 in 3 wasn't it for Barbet at one time? Credit where credit is due.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024