Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joey Barton Interview 14:02 - Apr 23 with 8328 viewsdaveB

Fascinating/Annoying interview with Joey Barton on his time at QPR.

I mean he still has a real lack of self awareness about his part in it all and it's still everyone elses fault but is a good listen.

Redknapp didn't come out of it well, Joey Barton praises him a lot but he basically just confirmed that he had given up.All the players apart from Joey Barton hated him and he saved him from the sack the year we went up. He slates Hughes and Warnock as expected.

https://anchor.fm/footballCFB/episodes/Joey-Barton---QPR-the-mad-house-ecsucc
Joey Barton Interview on 22:41 - Apr 23 with 1749 viewsWatfordR

Couldn't really care less what he has to say now he's not our player.

Genuinely can't think why I'd want to listen to anyone diss the club, and I don't need to listen to what he has to say to know what he's going to say.
Joey Barton Interview on 22:46 - Apr 23 with 1738 viewshoopsmark

Joey Barton Interview on 16:26 - Apr 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks for putting the link up, Dave - appreciated - but I can't listen to it.

He's my least favourite Rangers player ever, and life's too short to be listening to him.

Concur Brian,not for me....
Joey Barton Interview on 23:32 - Apr 23 with 1696 viewsgobbles

He got a £6 million signing on fee and was paid £3.5 million a year!

As he put it "f*** off money".
Joey Barton Interview on 00:32 - Apr 24 with 1663 viewsqueensparker

I can't quite hate Barton as much as I know I should, I get all the bad points but anyone who is so open and honest in this age of bullshit and lies I've got a sneaky bit of time for.

For example, he openly admits we gave him £6 million to sign and £3 million a year.

Holy f--king sh-t. Almost an eight figure sum went out of this club for one season of Joey Barton.

I'm so much happier where we are now. F-ck the Premier League.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2020 1:32]
Joey Barton Interview on 01:17 - Apr 24 with 1643 viewssilky

He's a cancer on any club he's been a part of. My most hated QPR player of all time.

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Joey Barton Interview on 01:23 - Apr 24 with 1636 viewsbob566

Joey Barton Interview on 16:46 - Apr 23 by daveB

he's a shit Roy Keane, takes it all far too serious and believes due to that he is better than everyone else.

I had forgotten how mad that squad was after we went up, never mind all the signings like Barton, Ferdinand etc we still had Rowan Vine on the books.

That's disingenuous to Roy Keane who was a great tough midfielder. He's a sh** David batty or Dennis wise and that's over complimenting
Joey Barton Interview on 01:23 - Apr 24 with 1635 viewsTacticalR

@silky 'My most hated QPR player of all time.'

I feel another list coming on.

Air hostess clique

Joey Barton Interview on 08:55 - Apr 24 with 1562 viewssmuttsontour

Barton apologist post incoming so please don't bite good fellows.

I take a complete different angle on Mr Barton. Firstly, yes the man has committed many mistakes on and off the pitch, but as far as that interview went he held his hands up culpable as my ears heard. Also, if you're a manager that sees fit to employ a man like Barton, you've probably priced in a few over aggressive sentiments as you want a player that will give you 100%. I watched Barton throughout his tenure at Rangers, yes - a few moronic moments (like us all), but for me he always gave 100%, and for me bottom line just wanted to win. Very minor detail, Wigan away play off semi final, he did that (okay quite egotistical) corner to corner clap of the away end whilst all the others had gone for a shower and galvanized the support. Consider the other mercenaries we had at the time who gave no effort, the Bosingwas/SWPs/Hoiletts of this world - they don't come close to getting the stick that Barton gets. On the money issue, everyone is gobsmacked that we paid Barton 3.5m quid a year in wages and even more annoyed that he took it. I think everyone associated with this message board would take that figure if offered it to play football.

Bottom line - understand the critique, but found Barton can be vouched for by the likes of Clint and Faurlin, the pro's outweigh the con's. Get off your high horses. And stay healthy!

SOT
Login to get fewer ads

Joey Barton Interview on 09:36 - Apr 24 with 1512 viewsloftus77

I totally understand the view of those on here who can’t bring themselves to listen to it.

But I stayed with it last night and amongst all the waffle/nonsense, I couldn’t deny that it was genuinely fascinating if some of the anecdotes are true. If they are true, it’s a painful indictment of our club in that period, especially if the Four-Year Plan was edited down…

The thing about Joey Barton is (IMHO) if only he could concentrate on what his strength was. I always rated his skill in breaking up opposition attacks, recycling possession, reading the game and feeding the ball forward to the wingers or creative payers (Kranjcar, Taarabt et al). Every team needs a good ‘water carrier’ (Didier Deschamps) and Barton often excelled at this for Rangers. A Currie/Hoddle/Taarabt figure he was definitely not. Why could he not see this or have this pointed out to him?

No mention of Question Time either...
Joey Barton Interview on 09:41 - Apr 24 with 1506 viewsrobith

Joey Barton Interview on 15:40 - Apr 23 by thame_hoops

he's a very bitter man, getting mad with players celebrating staying up @ city lol as staying up was nothing to celebrate?!

locking mark hughes office door and demanding they fight each other lol this pod is mental

makes you wonder how we couldnt get rid for gross misconduct with his actions around the team causing disruption in front of everyone . shouting our to Hughes in the canteen after the 0-5 to swansea that we're going down wtf. insane
[Post edited 23 Apr 2020 15:49]

I believe at the time we basically had no processes at all so couldn't hold the players to account. Recall one of Les' first actions was bringing in loads of different codes of conduct the players had to agree to
Joey Barton Interview on 09:43 - Apr 24 with 1505 viewsrobith

Joey Barton Interview on 18:21 - Apr 23 by Northernr

I'd be genuinely interested in hearing what he had to say, if it included a bit of humbleness, a bit of holding his hands up and fessing up that he fcked up repeatedly.

- only came here in the first place because he was in a strop with Newcastle
- played well, well below his previous standard
- disrupted (according to Warnock) the dressing room spoiling what was here the year before and (by his own admission) had a hand in a great manager getting the boot.
- all over social media hailing the new professional approach by Hughes, how much better he was than a guy who'd just won us promotion (something that seemingly escapes him now he doesn't like Hughes either)
- four red cards, all for his own stupidity, all in crucial matches, all of which we lost from good positions (Man City A, Hull A, Leicester H, Norwich H)
- All the "I'm not playing in the Championship" and acting like he was doing us a favour to get us out of the mess, followed by a year of him booting all our set pieces at the first man.

But by the sounds of it, its basically everybody's fault but his. So no thanks.

This post has been edited by an administrator

In fairness to him, we played much better against Man City with 10 men....
Joey Barton Interview on 09:44 - Apr 24 with 1500 viewsrobith

Remember when Barton walked back into the team first game of the season back in the Championship and everyone cheered his name in the announcement?

Probably the most baffled I've ever been at Loftus Road
Joey Barton Interview on 09:52 - Apr 24 with 1487 viewsTheChef

Joey Barton Interview on 09:44 - Apr 24 by robith

Remember when Barton walked back into the team first game of the season back in the Championship and everyone cheered his name in the announcement?

Maybe not everyone, but yeah I was surprised how many did.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Joey Barton Interview on 09:55 - Apr 24 with 1483 viewsMrSheen

Joey Barton Interview on 01:23 - Apr 24 by TacticalR

@silky 'My most hated QPR player of all time.'

I feel another list coming on.

Seaman
Bosingwa
Ready
Rehman
Traore
Wright-Phillips
Barton
Jones (c)
Scully
Hateley
Slade

Based on observation, not author's own opinion. Apart from Vinnie Jones. And Hateley, obviously.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2020 9:57]
Joey Barton Interview on 10:42 - Apr 24 with 1432 viewsmcqpr10

Barton was a solid/ decent top flight player.

The problem with him, is that he played in an era where wages in the top flight are obscene for a player of his ilk, forcing him to believe his own hype that he's a big time player. His role in the team was the same as Holloway's in the 92/93 side.

No doubt many of his anecdotes are true, and lets face it, the club was an absolute mess at the time.

However, his conduct was terrible, and he criticises every single manager. Never once looking at his own behaviour. This is a man who deliberately went set out to disrupt the team when Hughes decided he wanted rid.Absolute horrid person who made me hate everything about being in the top flight.
Joey Barton Interview on 10:43 - Apr 24 with 1431 viewsjoe90

I find it really hard to believe that with all the money TF and his crew had they ended up with Barton as an unofficial football consultant!

Those PL years were an absolute joke.
Joey Barton Interview on 10:46 - Apr 24 with 1426 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Joey Barton Interview on 10:42 - Apr 24 by mcqpr10

Barton was a solid/ decent top flight player.

The problem with him, is that he played in an era where wages in the top flight are obscene for a player of his ilk, forcing him to believe his own hype that he's a big time player. His role in the team was the same as Holloway's in the 92/93 side.

No doubt many of his anecdotes are true, and lets face it, the club was an absolute mess at the time.

However, his conduct was terrible, and he criticises every single manager. Never once looking at his own behaviour. This is a man who deliberately went set out to disrupt the team when Hughes decided he wanted rid.Absolute horrid person who made me hate everything about being in the top flight.

Agreed. You and Clive have listed his transgressions very well. To my mind, they're beyond forgiveness.

And I have a little less time for Hill, Mackie and Faurlin for defending someone who clearly took the pi$$ out of the team, squad and club.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2020 12:22]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Joey Barton Interview on 11:11 - Apr 24 with 1405 viewsrobith

In that first season in the Prem, Barton's pass completion rate was 75%. The only midfielder with a worse completion rate was Kieron Dyer, who didn't make any.

EDIT: This is actually quite interesting

In the season he played in the Championship, the only midfielder with a worse completion rate was Matty Phillips, which is understandable as a winger has to play more riskier passes.

Back in the Prem, the only mids below him were Phillips again, and Sandro. Barton has 73.2% and Sandro 73.1%

Our central midfield gave the ball away 27% of the time. No wonder we sank like a stone
[Post edited 24 Apr 2020 11:17]
Joey Barton Interview on 12:09 - Apr 24 with 1350 viewshoopsmark

Joey Barton Interview on 10:46 - Apr 24 by BrianMcCarthy

Agreed. You and Clive have listed his transgressions very well. To my mind, they're beyond forgiveness.

And I have a little less time for Hill, Mackie and Faurlin for defending someone who clearly took the pi$$ out of the team, squad and club.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2020 12:22]

What was wrong with tea?😉....( apologies in advance Brian)
Joey Barton Interview on 12:18 - Apr 24 with 1342 viewsMrSheen

Joey Barton Interview on 11:11 - Apr 24 by robith

In that first season in the Prem, Barton's pass completion rate was 75%. The only midfielder with a worse completion rate was Kieron Dyer, who didn't make any.

EDIT: This is actually quite interesting

In the season he played in the Championship, the only midfielder with a worse completion rate was Matty Phillips, which is understandable as a winger has to play more riskier passes.

Back in the Prem, the only mids below him were Phillips again, and Sandro. Barton has 73.2% and Sandro 73.1%

Our central midfield gave the ball away 27% of the time. No wonder we sank like a stone
[Post edited 24 Apr 2020 11:17]

Have you seen Maradona in Mexico? "I don't care if you give the ball away 15 times"...riiiigght. Fantastic show by the way, he's so entertaining
Joey Barton Interview on 12:18 - Apr 24 with 1341 viewsDannytheR

Even a stopped clock...

The whole thing is riddled with moments that make you want to punch a wall - and him — but as a timeline of our Premiership disaster (parts one and two) there's some grimly fascinating moments in there.

Brings home yet again the absolute mind-blowing shambles that Hoos and Les inherited, a club whose soul had been destroyed at the same time as having unthinkable amounts of money poured into it. (And then the FFP hangover took the money away too.)

What he doesn't quite have the bollocks to admit is that signing him in the first place was one of the first massive red flags that we were doing it all wrong from the start.

All in all, a well timed guide to exactly why football shouldn't be allowed to go back to "normal" ever again.
Joey Barton Interview on 12:23 - Apr 24 with 1331 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Joey Barton Interview on 12:09 - Apr 24 by hoopsmark

What was wrong with tea?😉....( apologies in advance Brian)

Ha, just spotted that. I'm Irish - you don't mess with the tea!!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Joey Barton Interview on 12:27 - Apr 24 with 1318 viewsMickS_

Joey Barton Interview on 12:28 - Apr 24 with 1317 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Joey Barton Interview on 09:44 - Apr 24 by robith

A fight broke out in the lower school end (where I was temporarily) when he got sent off v Leicester because one part of the crowd slagged him and the other half cheered him as he walked off.

Nonsense.
Joey Barton Interview on 13:20 - Apr 24 with 1268 viewsPhilmyRs

Always an interesting and debated subject, Joey Barton.

I’m in agreement with a lot of people that didn’t like the person, didn’t like what he represented and agree he cost us massively when in the Premier League. I think it was a massive mistake buying him. However….

The couple of areas I do disagree with people is what he brought to the table and his role in getting us promoted in the ‘OH BOBBY ZAMORA’ season. It wasn’t just a case of “spending all season failing to beat the first man’. He did much more than that.

Say what you like about him as a person, Barton rarely hid from wanting the ball, always demanding it, even when struggling himself. Massive presence vocally and one of those that rarely expected people to do what he wasn’t willing to do himself. I thought his finest hour in an R’s shirt was his performance at home to Wigan in the semi- final, I thought he galvanised everyone and put in a top performance. All this doesn’t take away from the money wasted, the repeated let downs during the premier league, but to right off his involvement in the promotion season is unfair. He played a massive role in my opinion.

Interesting too, that while so many of us can’t stand the man, legends of our club regularly speak in glowing terms of him. Podcast interviews always seem to long for an ex-teammate to tee off on a long Barton tirade and join in with the Barton bashing narrative, but that rarely happens. Clint Hill and Shaun Derry’s praise was put down to “trying to get a coaching job with Barton”, which is quite a generalisation and dismissive of some great characters, while probably one of my favourite players, Mr Ale Faurlin, also seemed to only have kind and positive words to say about him. Now when legends of our recent history speak so highly of him, I think we have to take some of what they say on board given the time they’ve spent together.

I’m not a Barton apologist and my opening sentence sums up my feelings of him but as a player, specifically in our promotion season, I thought he made a big difference, a view which is regularly backed up by team mates.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024