Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
88/89 re run 18:19 - Apr 29 with 4043 viewsNorthernr

Tonight at 7. A lot goes on in this season!
88/89 re run on 12:23 - Apr 30 with 970 viewsrrrspricey

88/89 re run on 20:39 - Apr 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

Excellent goal by Stein against West Ham. Maddix (almost) treble tackle sets it all up.

And not one tackle would've gone unpunished in today's game
88/89 re run on 12:29 - Apr 30 with 956 viewsdaveB

88/89 re run on 08:50 - Apr 30 by bosh67

Trying to remember why Colin Clarke struggled so much the following season? He looked the real deal in in 88/89. Nightmare to mark, hard as nails and an eye for goal. And then it seemed to fizzle out but can't remember why.

My Dad always used to say he ran like he had a piano tied to his back
88/89 re run on 12:29 - Apr 30 with 958 viewsWatfordR

88/89 re run on 22:10 - Apr 29 by LazyFan

At the time he was the fastest player for pace in top-flight football. No one came close to him on speed. Thing is, he was not that skilful. He made up for it with effort and blistering pace.

As he could not really shoot that great (apart from the odd one or two) he was often used as a fullback to counter the oppositions pacy winger. Thus making it 10 a-side.

Got to say my memories of Fereday are that he was a head down speed merchant. We used to think if they'd left the gates open into the Loft, he'd have been into Loftus Road before he had a look to see where he was. His crossing was mainly hopeless.

The Hoilett of the Eighties.
88/89 re run on 12:37 - Apr 30 with 949 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Here’s a little known fact for you..

You may or may not have noticed that there were 3 teams from Sarf London in the First Division that season. The following season Crystal Palace were promoted from the second division. So the 89/90 First Division season had 4 teams from south of the river. This is the only time this has occurred although they were all in the Second Division in the 85/86 season. So there!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_London_derby

Poll: Expectations for this season?

88/89 re run on 13:46 - Apr 30 with 894 viewsjoe90

88/89 re run on 12:37 - Apr 30 by CliveWilsonSaid

Here’s a little known fact for you..

You may or may not have noticed that there were 3 teams from Sarf London in the First Division that season. The following season Crystal Palace were promoted from the second division. So the 89/90 First Division season had 4 teams from south of the river. This is the only time this has occurred although they were all in the Second Division in the 85/86 season. So there!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_London_derby

Nice bit of trivia.

Way before my time, how grim was it watching football in those days? Loftus Road looks pretty empty during some of the games.
88/89 re run on 13:49 - Apr 30 with 892 viewsTheChef

88/89 re run on 12:14 - Apr 30 by CiderwithRsie

He very rarely missed a game - surprisingly few injuries (I suppose they couldn't catch him) and never seemed to fall out of favour with managers. Perhaps because he was very consistent, you pretty much knew what you were going to get with him - not many games where he destroyed the oppo but hard to remember a bad performance.

I think one of the times he was injured, he missed the Milk Cup final.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

88/89 re run on 14:15 - Apr 30 with 877 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

88/89 re run on 13:46 - Apr 30 by joe90

Nice bit of trivia.

Way before my time, how grim was it watching football in those days? Loftus Road looks pretty empty during some of the games.

I was only 12 or 13 myself. I didn’t really start going regularly until 91 or 92.

I don’t think average attendances/atmosphere were hugely different back then. Remember that Loftus Rd still had terraces so could hold a few more thousand than it can now. I was surprised to see that Man Utd didn’t sell out their allocation. They didn’t have the widespread fan base they have now. London derbies and Liverpool were the biggest sellers.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

88/89 re run on 15:59 - Apr 30 with 812 viewsMoonshineSteve

88/89 re run on 13:46 - Apr 30 by joe90

Nice bit of trivia.

It was great.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Login to get fewer ads

88/89 re run on 16:07 - Apr 30 with 807 viewsNorthernr

88/89 re run on 14:15 - Apr 30 by CliveWilsonSaid

I was only 12 or 13 myself. I didn’t really start going regularly until 91 or 92.

I don’t think average attendances/atmosphere were hugely different back then. Remember that Loftus Rd still had terraces so could hold a few more thousand than it can now. I was surprised to see that Man Utd didn’t sell out their allocation. They didn’t have the widespread fan base they have now. London derbies and Liverpool were the biggest sellers.

Man Utd was tube strike night as well, so crowd was way down on what it should have been.

Still, I think we're all well aware that their support went up sharply from about 1992 for some reason.
88/89 re run on 16:09 - Apr 30 with 805 viewsThe_Beast1976

88/89 re run on 11:04 - Apr 30 by loftboy

Reid and Wilkins played one game together, Palace away, they totally dominated their midfield, a week later we beat Chelsea 4-2.

Great times
88/89 re run on 16:38 - Apr 30 with 794 viewsBrianMcCarthy

88/89 re run on 21:39 - Apr 29 by bosh67

That was fun. Interesting to remember that despite having such good defenders we still had a habit of gifting goals. We didn't half score some though. Thing that strikes me is how underrated Wayne Fereday was in our history books. Superb down both wings and at the back. 246 games the guy played for us. Outstanding.

Very good point. Crucial to our excellent 87/88 season, but also very good in this season, which I'd forgotten.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

88/89 re run on 16:50 - Apr 30 with 779 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just watched it all. Enjoyable considering how fragmented a season it was.
Random thoughts.

Seaman stood out a mile. As usual suspect on frees and penos but his positioning and handling were a joy to watch again. Clear player of the season.

Great to see Trevor Francis's half season again. We never really warmed to him as a player or manager. He looked a grumpy ol' bollix. But he was a serious player.

I loved Falco. Much better player than the fatarse Clarke.

Francis's signings were all good in the short term but Sinton was the only one that stuck. I wonder who signed Sinton - it can hardly have been Francis who scouted him down in the Third Division as he wouldn't have had the knowledge, or the time what with playing and then taking over as manager half-way through the season.

88/89 re run on 20:53 - Apr 30 with 716 viewspaulparker

88/89 re run on 16:50 - Apr 30 by BrianMcCarthy

Just watched it all. Enjoyable considering how fragmented a season it was.
Random thoughts.

Seaman stood out a mile. As usual suspect on frees and penos but his positioning and handling were a joy to watch again. Clear player of the season.

Great to see Trevor Francis's half season again. We never really warmed to him as a player or manager. He looked a grumpy ol' bollix. But he was a serious player.

I loved Falco. Much better player than the fatarse Clarke.

Francis's signings were all good in the short term but Sinton was the only one that stuck. I wonder who signed Sinton - it can hardly have been Francis who scouted him down in the Third Division as he wouldn't have had the knowledge, or the time what with playing and then taking over as manager half-way through the season.

Strange days them mate under Trev
Gray ,Reid, Spackman came and went in a flash , Martin Allen went to West Ham , Paul Wright was homesick , stein sold , Mark Dennis dropped and sold , Barker also dropped , thank god gentleman Don Howe came in to steady the ship

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

88/89 re run on 21:55 - Apr 30 with 690 viewsBrianMcCarthy

88/89 re run on 20:53 - Apr 30 by paulparker

Gray ,Reid, Spackman came and went in a flash , Martin Allen went to West Ham , Paul Wright was homesick , stein sold , Mark Dennis dropped and sold , Barker also dropped , thank god gentleman Don Howe came in to steady the ship

I agree. Howe was the best thing that happened to our club since 76.

Was it Trevor Francis who dropped Macca and nearly most him, PP?

88/89 re run on 02:32 - May 1 with 639 viewsSydneyRs

88/89 re run on 21:39 - Apr 29 by bosh67

That was fun. Interesting to remember that despite having such good defenders we still had a habit of gifting goals. We didn't half score some though. Thing that strikes me is how underrated Wayne Fereday was in our history books. Superb down both wings and at the back. 246 games the guy played for us. Outstanding.

Fereday was so fast, think he could cover 100m in around 11 secs or maybe a bit less. Seeing him fly past a floundering full back when in the paddock was something else.

Great times to be a QPR fan, although I didn't really appreciate it then!
88/89 re run on 02:33 - May 1 with 638 viewsSydneyRs

88/89 re run on 20:53 - Apr 30 by paulparker

I feel Francis was likely a key factor in so many short stays. Definitely good signings at the time.
88/89 re run on 08:51 - May 1 with 564 viewsjoe90

What a strange season and an even stranger review! The editing seemed bit slap dash, and they didn't show the cup games. An odd season show, but as it was before my time interesting none the less.

A few observations:

1: The grounds look moody as hell.
2: Pitches were awful with many having sand pits in the goal mouth.
3: Lots of Union Jacks
4: Lots of inflatable banana's?!
5: The football was quite shit
6: Stand out player for me was Paul Parker
88/89 re run on 09:42 - May 1 with 540 viewspaulparker

88/89 re run on 21:55 - Apr 30 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree. Howe was the best thing that happened to our club since 76.

Was it Trevor Francis who dropped Macca and nearly most him, PP?

I dont remember macca being dropped by Francis TBH
He fell out with Spackman before the Liverpool game the following season and Wright said he wanted to go back to Scotland
The real strange one though was Andy Gray, we got him from Villa as he was homesick , he wasn’t really fit at the time and then he went to palace that summer I don’t know if he fell out with Francis ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

88/89 re run on 09:46 - May 1 with 532 views2Thomas2Bowles

88/89 re run on 09:42 - May 1 by paulparker

He fell out with Spackman before the Liverpool game the following season and Wright said he wanted to go back to Scotland
The real strange one though was Andy Gray, we got him from Villa as he was homesick , he wasn’t really fit at the time and then he went to palace that summer I don’t know if he fell out with Francis ?

No one fell out with Francis ever...

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

88/89 re run on 09:48 - May 1 with 527 viewsNorthernr

There was a weird moment in this where they said they left McDonald out of an away game at Wimbledon by mistake, thinking he was suspended. Sounds about right.
88/89 re run on 09:53 - May 1 with 521 viewsTheChef

88/89 re run on 08:51 - May 1 by joe90

What a strange season and an even stranger review! The editing seemed bit slap dash, and they didn't show the cup games. An odd season show, but as it was before my time interesting none the less.

A few observations:

1: The grounds look moody as hell.
2: Pitches were awful with many having sand pits in the goal mouth.
3: Lots of Union Jacks
4: Lots of inflatable banana's?!
5: The football was quite shit
6: Stand out player for me was Paul Parker

Ah yes I think 1988-90 were the peak years for inflatables at football matches! Especially the bananas.

Might be wrong but I think the trend was started by Man City fans?

88/89 re run on 09:55 - May 1 with 511 viewsTheChef

88/89 re run on 09:53 - May 1 by TheChef

Ah yes I think 1988-90 were the peak years for inflatables at football matches! Especially the bananas.

Might be wrong but I think the trend was started by Man City fans?

Oh and re the state of the pitches - actually I'm always amazed at the good football that was played on those mud heaps / dust bowls.

Given the bowling greens that they play on and train on today, I'd like to see how current players would manage.

88/89 re run on 11:28 - May 1 with 477 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I remember him being put or asking to be put on the transfer list and it was because of a manager. AKUTR's had a cover or back cover picture of him singing 'Please release me, let me go....'

Pretty sure it was Trevor Francis, but wouldn't swear on it.

88/89 re run on 11:41 - May 1 with 462 viewsClive_Anderson

88/89 re run on 11:04 - Apr 30 by loftboy

Reid and Wilkins played one game together, Palace away, they totally dominated their midfield, a week later we beat Chelsea 4-2.

That bicycle kick against Chelsea by Falco was something else. Also him and Allen scored two amazing goals away at Southampton.

Some great games, but the crowds really were dire that year.
88/89 re run on 11:43 - May 1 with 452 viewsKiwi76

Very fond of this season as my first one living in London & was at nearly all home games at least:
Couple of years with this team then back in 93
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024