Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
88/89 re run 18:19 - Apr 29 with 4044 viewsNorthernr

Tonight at 7. A lot goes on in this season!
88/89 re run on 11:50 - May 1 with 852 viewsloftboy

Looking forward to the 89/90 rewind as it’s the only season I have done 100% league and cup, we played 9 Fa cup ties and travelled to Stockport on a Monday night in the league cup second leg for a goalless draw.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

88/89 re run on 12:17 - May 1 with 822 viewsWalnut

88/89 re run on 11:50 - May 1 by loftboy

Looking forward to the 89/90 rewind as it’s the only season I have done 100% league and cup, we played 9 Fa cup ties and travelled to Stockport on a Monday night in the league cup second leg for a goalless draw.

Very impressive!
That opens up an idea for a separate thread, going to the away leg of those two legged league cup ties :-)
88/89 re run on 12:39 - May 1 with 798 viewsNorthernr

88/89 re run on 11:50 - May 1 by loftboy

The annoying thing is that video, like the 88/89 one, has none of the cup games on it, only the league.

I think from knowledge most of the cup game highlights are on youtube so we'll do a thread of them when it's shown.
88/89 re run on 12:46 - May 1 with 791 viewsloftboy

88/89 re run on 12:17 - May 1 by Walnut

Very impressive!
That opens up an idea for a separate thread, going to the away leg of those two legged league cup ties :-)

Me and my mate made a decision at the start of the season to do it, got to November and the bird I was living with announced that her mum had decided to take the whole family to Austria skiiing in December, she was well impressed when I said I’m not going as we have Sheffield Wednesday away the day you’re going !!
[Post edited 1 May 2020 12:47]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

88/89 re run on 12:58 - May 1 with 768 viewspaulparker

Great second half of the season was 89/90
We had the cup run
Beat Arsenal, Spurs , Chelsea , Forest , Villa ( who were going for the title)
Simon Barker coming into form
The partnership of Sinton & Wegerle
Paul Parker kicking megson
Wilkins showing us what a player he was ( should of gone to the World Cup Instead of the injured Neil Webb )

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

88/89 re run on 12:59 - May 1 with 770 viewsNorthernr

88/89 re run on 12:58 - May 1 by paulparker

Great second half of the season was 89/90
We had the cup run
Beat Arsenal, Spurs , Chelsea , Forest , Villa ( who were going for the title)
Simon Barker coming into form
The partnership of Sinton & Wegerle
Paul Parker kicking megson
Wilkins showing us what a player he was ( should of gone to the World Cup Instead of the injured Neil Webb )

Yeh my recollections from the 89/90 and 90/91 reviews were that Barker became some fcking player.
88/89 re run on 13:57 - May 1 with 734 viewseastside_r

88/89 re run on 06:11 - Apr 30 by stowmarketrange

Attendances were poor that year despite some results,and not just for us.The Newcastle away game was watched by only 21,000,and a few of our home games were watched by 4 figure crowds.I think I went to most of the games home and away and saw some great wins though.

It was the dark days before Italia 90 made football popular again.Our clubs were still banned from European competitions,and hooligans still had their days terrorising innocent fans.And clough smacked the forest fan on the pitch.

This was a bit of a lost season for me as I was away at university so only saw selected home games in the holidays and selected away games near to my midlands base. Some of these goals are the first time I have seen them. Some of the players Gray, Spackman, Clarke, I barely saw play for us.

The point about Italia 90 is well made. Before 1990 walking around campus with my scarf on, I was very much regarded as an oddity. After Italia 90 everyone was a 'fan', England New Order causing a frenzy at every disco (which is what we still called them back then!)

Not sure that this Damascan conversion made me cool though.
88/89 re run on 14:12 - May 1 with 715 viewspaulparker

88/89 re run on 12:59 - May 1 by Northernr

Yeh my recollections from the 89/90 and 90/91 reviews were that Barker became some fcking player.

Yeah Don Howe got the best of him as Jim Smith & Trevor Francis had given up on him the season before, I’m pretty sure that Barker was played right back when he first came here

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

88/89 re run on 14:24 - May 1 with 692 viewsflynnbo

Great watching and some observations:
Falco could hit a great volley
Flying tackles and very few red cards awarded especially Mark Dennis;
I vividly remember that Francis penalty miss at Millwall and I hated him for it;
Seaman was an excellent keeper and held onto the ball well;
Leaving a course early to drive up to Man Utd for that 3-0 defeat where Macca ws red carded-got home at 3am!
Shilton was getting in some practice with his handball appeal in the home game against Derby;
i actually rated Nicky Johns!
88/89 re run on 14:32 - May 1 with 671 viewsBrianMcCarthy

88/89 re run on 14:24 - May 1 by flynnbo

Great watching and some observations:
Falco could hit a great volley
Flying tackles and very few red cards awarded especially Mark Dennis;
I vividly remember that Francis penalty miss at Millwall and I hated him for it;
Seaman was an excellent keeper and held onto the ball well;
Leaving a course early to drive up to Man Utd for that 3-0 defeat where Macca ws red carded-got home at 3am!
Shilton was getting in some practice with his handball appeal in the home game against Derby;
i actually rated Nicky Johns!

Mark Hughes dived for that Macca sending-off, clutching his face. He also did Maddix with more cheating. That lad was and always will be a worthless piece of crap.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

88/89 re run on 14:40 - May 1 with 654 viewsflynnbo

88/89 re run on 14:32 - May 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Mark Hughes dived for that Macca sending-off, clutching his face. He also did Maddix with more cheating. That lad was and always will be a worthless piece of crap.

I thought Hughes had faked it too with Macca, Brian, and I think it was quite early on so we stood no chance. Things have never changed with homer refs at Old Trafford. Wonder if there's any footage of Peacock putting that clown into the Ellerslie Road stand?
88/89 re run on 14:47 - May 1 with 633 viewsBrianMcCarthy

88/89 re run on 14:40 - May 1 by flynnbo

I thought Hughes had faked it too with Macca, Brian, and I think it was quite early on so we stood no chance. Things have never changed with homer refs at Old Trafford. Wonder if there's any footage of Peacock putting that clown into the Ellerslie Road stand?

Maybe Macca did. i didn't think so at the time but maybe I saw what I wanted to. Hughes had form, though - he also got caught on TV faking an elbow to his face against Montpellier to get their man sent off. Of course, the commentators skipped over it after an awkward silence, the ref and lino missed it and that was that.

Forgot about Peacock and that incident. Job!

88/89 re run on 22:59 - May 1 with 574 viewsThe_Beast1976

88/89 re run on 15:59 - Apr 30 by MoonshineSteve

It was great.

It was indeed absolutely superb. Terraces home and away. Pisses all over modern football
88/89 re run on 23:03 - May 1 with 571 viewsThe_Beast1976

88/89 re run on 08:51 - May 1 by joe90

What a strange season and an even stranger review! The editing seemed bit slap dash, and they didn't show the cup games. An odd season show, but as it was before my time interesting none the less.

A few observations:

1: The grounds look moody as hell.
2: Pitches were awful with many having sand pits in the goal mouth.
3: Lots of Union Jacks
4: Lots of inflatable banana's?!
5: The football was quite shit
6: Stand out player for me was Paul Parker

The grounds were moody but brilliant. Would love to still be visiting grounds like that now. It's a crime against history/heritage that they were allowed to be destroyed!!
88/89 re run on 10:28 - May 2 with 484 viewsAntti_Heinola

Still got last 20 mins to go but realy enjoyed it. Parker is clearly a class above, but the biggest difference is between Seaman, who really does look superb, and the woeful Nicky Johns - I think Safe Hands would have stopped about two thirds of the ones he let in.
I always forget what a good player Falco was - tremendous volleyer of the ball.
Trevor Francis went a bit mad in the transfer market - how many midfielders did he need?

Bare bones.

88/89 re run on 11:02 - May 2 with 468 viewsBrianMcCarthy

88/89 re run on 10:28 - May 2 by Antti_Heinola

Still got last 20 mins to go but realy enjoyed it. Parker is clearly a class above, but the biggest difference is between Seaman, who really does look superb, and the woeful Nicky Johns - I think Safe Hands would have stopped about two thirds of the ones he let in.
I always forget what a good player Falco was - tremendous volleyer of the ball.
Trevor Francis went a bit mad in the transfer market - how many midfielders did he need?

True. And Barker outlasted them all.

88/89 re run on 21:01 - May 2 with 403 viewsW12SG2

88/89 re run on 14:40 - May 1 by flynnbo

Hughes was a Class A cuunnt. He was rolling around, holding his face after a cross in front of the Rangers fans up there in the cup, January 91, nobody near him. Good game, lost 2-1 I think.
88/89 re run on 21:19 - May 2 with 397 viewshamptonhillhoop

88/89 re run on 14:12 - May 1 by paulparker

Yeah Don Howe got the best of him as Jim Smith & Trevor Francis had given up on him the season before, I’m pretty sure that Barker was played right back when he first came here

Watching that Southampton game in the 88-89 season, Barker was number 2 and Martin Allen number 3, even though Allen got his goal from the right wing. Barker was a strange player, often excellent, but a bit inconsistent and a boo-boy for some. Always a hard worker though. The old boy who sat next to me absolutely hated him. When he came back and scored against us for Port Vale, I thought he was going to explode with rage.
88/89 re run on 21:44 - May 2 with 388 viewsBrianMcCarthy

88/89 re run on 21:19 - May 2 by hamptonhillhoop

Watching that Southampton game in the 88-89 season, Barker was number 2 and Martin Allen number 3, even though Allen got his goal from the right wing. Barker was a strange player, often excellent, but a bit inconsistent and a boo-boy for some. Always a hard worker though. The old boy who sat next to me absolutely hated him. When he came back and scored against us for Port Vale, I thought he was going to explode with rage.

I agree. He really was a boo-boy for some, wasn't he

Barker was a quality player once he settled in. Only 23 when he signed for us, his slightly one-footed style made him look awkward at first, but he used the ball very well, played with his head up and by 25 or 26 was an established top flight player. He overcame the fact that he had no pace (Sheff Wed away once he broke free on the half way line and had ten yards on the dinosaur centre-backs but they plodded him in gradually like two hippos chasing a slightly slower hippo), wasn't very tall and had a dodgy barnet. And he became as reliable a midfielder as you could hope for. Game in and game out he bettered his man and he was a decent defensive shield as well as a legitimate scoring threat.

Holloway often gets credited justifiably with helping Wilkins tick but Barker was the better all-round player and a very underrated player in our history.

88/89 re run on 21:46 - May 2 with 386 viewsBrianMcCarthy

88/89 re run on 21:01 - May 2 by W12SG2

Hughes was a Class A cuunnt. He was rolling around, holding his face after a cross in front of the Rangers fans up there in the cup, January 91, nobody near him. Good game, lost 2-1 I think.

Agreed. One of the few oppo players I had absolutely no respect for.

88/89 re run on 22:00 - May 2 with 378 viewshamptonhillhoop

88/89 re run on 21:44 - May 2 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree. He really was a boo-boy for some, wasn't he

Barker was a quality player once he settled in. Only 23 when he signed for us, his slightly one-footed style made him look awkward at first, but he used the ball very well, played with his head up and by 25 or 26 was an established top flight player. He overcame the fact that he had no pace (Sheff Wed away once he broke free on the half way line and had ten yards on the dinosaur centre-backs but they plodded him in gradually like two hippos chasing a slightly slower hippo), wasn't very tall and had a dodgy barnet. And he became as reliable a midfielder as you could hope for. Game in and game out he bettered his man and he was a decent defensive shield as well as a legitimate scoring threat.

Holloway often gets credited justifiably with helping Wilkins tick but Barker was the better all-round player and a very underrated player in our history.

"but they plodded him in gradually like two hippos chasing a slightly slower hippo"
That's a belter. I think I can actually visualise that chase. Was Pearson involved?
88/89 re run on 22:18 - May 2 with 361 viewsBrianMcCarthy

88/89 re run on 22:00 - May 2 by hamptonhillhoop

"but they plodded him in gradually like two hippos chasing a slightly slower hippo"
That's a belter. I think I can actually visualise that chase. Was Pearson involved?

Ha, ha!

Must have been. This would have been early 90's. We'd taken some hammerings there, a 7-1, a 4-1 aargh, but I think this was on on one of our better days because we all laughed. Maybe a 3-1 win?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024