Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laws of the Game 09:35 - Apr 30 with 2484 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Shoot magazine used to have a postbag where kids would write in proposing new LOTG. Bless them, they'd propose stuff like three teams playing each other at the same time on a triangular pitch with three goals (mind you, imagine beating Chelsea and Luton on the same day!). I never knew who to feel sorrier for; the kids or the poor journo who'd have to read them and reply in a serious tone.

So anyway, when football comes back you can introduce one new rule. What is it?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Laws of the Game on 09:44 - Apr 30 with 1577 views2Thomas2Bowles

One.. ha!!

1. Goalkeepers wear green.
2. Refs wear black.
3. Only black boots.
4. Linesmen called linesmen
5. 2 subs
6. No Draws. extra time/pens
7. 24 player squads.

[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 9:48]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Laws of the Game on 09:45 - Apr 30 with 1581 viewsslmrstid

Stopped clock, as in game time pauses every time the ball leaves the field of play, or play is suspended for subs etc. Would (or certainly should) remove all injury time arguments in one swoop.

Every other sport manages it so God knows why football can't.

I'd keep the game at 45 minutes each way though, I did see some speculation a couple of years ago of stopped clock being introduced, but the game being cut to 35 minutes each way as the ball is normally in play for 30 odd minutes each half (that's actually quite a depressing stat, over a 90 minute game we actually waste 30 minutes each time watching players faff over throw-ins, corners, subs etc...??)
Laws of the Game on 09:47 - Apr 30 with 1576 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Laws of the Game on 09:44 - Apr 30 by 2Thomas2Bowles

One.. ha!!

1. Goalkeepers wear green.
2. Refs wear black.
3. Only black boots.
4. Linesmen called linesmen
5. 2 subs
6. No Draws. extra time/pens
7. 24 player squads.

[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 9:48]

4. What of they were women?

I completely agree with 1, 2, 3 and 5.
Pick one and I will grant your wish!

Laws of the Game on 09:53 - Apr 30 with 1560 viewsMickS_

Shirt numbers 1 - 11.
Laws of the Game on 09:59 - Apr 30 with 1549 viewswood_hoop

Introduce a 'Sin Bin' for yellow cards, 10 -15 minutes sat looking at their pink boots might stop some of those stupid fouls.

If too late in the game to complete, time left carries over to the next time they run on the pitch as starter or sub.
Laws of the Game on 10:00 - Apr 30 with 1539 views2Thomas2Bowles

Laws of the Game on 09:47 - Apr 30 by BrianMcCarthy

I want it all and I want it now, says 10 year old boy

What woman

I suppose many clubs will have to cut squads, but it can only be good for the game so go for that.

Laws of the Game on 10:03 - Apr 30 with 1543 viewsMrSheen

Once a goal has been given, play restarts in 30 seconds. If you want to run around waving your shirt over your head, or jump in the crowd to cuddle your Dad, that's fine. We'll start without you.
One video challenge per team each half. If you're right, you keep your challenge like in cricket. Only time video ref gets involved.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 10:04]
Laws of the Game on 10:07 - Apr 30 with 1527 viewsMickS_

No players including the keepers are allowed to wear gloves.

Any player that makes a mistake and then points randomly to a bit of space shouting “A,A” should get a yellow card.
Login to get fewer ads

Laws of the Game on 10:18 - Apr 30 with 1500 viewsLoftgirl

No women linesman.
Laws of the Game on 10:20 - Apr 30 with 1490 views2Thomas2Bowles

If I could add a couple more.

No play-offs. it's utterly unfair. just 3 up 3 down.

All league games played 3 O'clock Saturdays, midweek 7.30 Tuesday/Wednesday.

Laws of the Game on 10:27 - Apr 30 with 1484 viewsmcqpr10

Laws of the Game on 09:45 - Apr 30 by slmrstid

Stopped clock, as in game time pauses every time the ball leaves the field of play, or play is suspended for subs etc. Would (or certainly should) remove all injury time arguments in one swoop.

Every other sport manages it so God knows why football can't.

I'd keep the game at 45 minutes each way though, I did see some speculation a couple of years ago of stopped clock being introduced, but the game being cut to 35 minutes each way as the ball is normally in play for 30 odd minutes each half (that's actually quite a depressing stat, over a 90 minute game we actually waste 30 minutes each time watching players faff over throw-ins, corners, subs etc...??)

Agree. Refs need to be far more willing to book players who are taking forever over goal kicks and throw ins. I hate this 'gamesmanship' and seeing out the game, even when we ourselves do it when we are clinging on to a lead.

When the r block was particuarly rowdy during the div 2 days under Ollie and we were losing the crowd would start counting the seconds loudly once the ball went out of play. Always felt it was a good ploy to show just how long the keepers were taking and to hurry them up with their goal kicks.
Laws of the Game on 10:28 - Apr 30 with 1482 viewsHamptonR

Ball out for a goal kick, the referee tells the goalie which side to take it from, like the good old days.
Laws of the Game on 10:54 - Apr 30 with 1458 viewsrrrspricey

Any laws that stops time wasting and cheating

Stop the clock, put a 10/15 second time limit for substitutions or just continue with the game. There's no need to stop the game at all

Time limits for free kicks, throw-ins, corners and if not done in time possession is handed to the opposition and restarts happen within a specific timescale

Despite Wembley 2014, scrap the play-offs, it's a league not a cup

Don't stop the game for injuries a la rugby.

Retrospective stricter bans and fines for cheating (it's not simulation or being clever)

Sin bins for unsportsmanlike behaviour (e.g. kicking the ball away, keepers picking the ball up when opposition just scored and want to crack on)

Only captains can talk the ref (respectfully), anyone else does it's a 10 minute sin bin

VAR for offside: Look at it twice and if you can't establish the attacking player is offside, it's not clear and obvious so the goal stands
Laws of the Game on 11:03 - Apr 30 with 1442 viewsterryb

Laws of the Game on 10:18 - Apr 30 by Loftgirl

No women linesman.

That's a bit harsh when the best official in the country is female!
Laws of the Game on 11:06 - Apr 30 with 1441 viewsloftboy

Laws of the Game on 11:03 - Apr 30 by terryb

That's a bit harsh when the best official in the country is female!

Agree, very rarely does Sian Massey get it wrong.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Laws of the Game on 11:13 - Apr 30 with 1428 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Apart from the idea of giving a jetpack to one player on each team (which I still think is a runner), I 'd like to see an experiment where you have to leave one or maybe two players in the opposing half to stop Mourinhoball.

Pro: It would reward better passing teams as they exploit the spaces.

Cons: It might encourage long balls being hoofed up to the two attackers and it might need a tweak on the offside rule i.e. if the defence can play offside just inside their half then the two attackers would be offside automatically.

Laws of the Game on 11:33 - Apr 30 with 1410 viewsLoftgirl

Laws of the Game on 11:06 - Apr 30 by loftboy

Agree, very rarely does Sian Massey get it wrong.

I agree. She is probably one of the best around, male or female. It was a bit tongue in cheek.
Laws of the Game on 12:15 - Apr 30 with 1378 viewsMrSheen

Worth considering for extra time, compulsory binoculars. Come on you SuperHoops!

Help bring back the magic of the Cup. Get rid of 11 v 11.

[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 12:19]
Laws of the Game on 13:26 - Apr 30 with 1332 viewsPinnerPaul

Bad news on the subs, IFAB have just said that competitions will be able to allow 5 subs until the end of 2020/21 - just to be clear up to each competition/league if they adopt this or not.
Laws of the Game on 13:27 - Apr 30 with 1327 viewsPinnerPaul

Laws of the Game on 09:53 - Apr 30 by MickS_

Shirt numbers 1 - 11.

As per earlier answer in the week - shirt numbers not mentioned in LOTG - up to each competition to decide if and what numbers should be worn.
Laws of the Game on 13:28 - Apr 30 with 1325 viewsPinnerPaul

Good point Brian but no one and I do mean no one outside referee appointments officers call us Assistant Referees!
Laws of the Game on 13:29 - Apr 30 with 1321 viewsPinnerPaul

Laws of the Game on 09:59 - Apr 30 by wood_hoop

Introduce a 'Sin Bin' for yellow cards, 10 -15 minutes sat looking at their pink boots might stop some of those stupid fouls.

If too late in the game to complete, time left carries over to the next time they run on the pitch as starter or sub.

Sin Bins for dissent already in place in all grassroots football below a certain level. & laws also allow any competition to use them for all or some offences if they want to.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 13:30]
Laws of the Game on 13:31 - Apr 30 with 1313 viewsPinnerPaul

Laws of the Game on 10:03 - Apr 30 by MrSheen

Once a goal has been given, play restarts in 30 seconds. If you want to run around waving your shirt over your head, or jump in the crowd to cuddle your Dad, that's fine. We'll start without you.
One video challenge per team each half. If you're right, you keep your challenge like in cricket. Only time video ref gets involved.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 10:04]

That 30 second rule is exactly what they do in Hockey - went to see an international match last summer and it worked a treat!
Laws of the Game on 13:34 - Apr 30 with 1309 viewsRanger_Things

Teams to have 3 joker cards per season enabling them to call 'next goal wins'.
Laws of the Game on 13:39 - Apr 30 with 1293 viewseasthertsr

If a player commits a 'professional' foul a goal is awarded to the opposition. It would stop any player from doing it!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024