Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Size of Our Players 14:43 - Jul 19 with 2057 viewsNorthantsHoop

Interesting that MW mentioned post match yesterday about the lack of height and overall physical presence in the team. For the last few seasons, it is noticable that most other teams in the Championship have serious height advantage. You notice it more when you are at the games, most teams are 6ft plus. Eze and BOS have in the last season looked to me that they have bulked up a bit and hence more able to hold their own. Obviously you don't want to have a team of large cloggers, but a measured balance based on physical and skill attributes. Maybe the penny has dropped for MW and and the potential need to focus on this in recruitment.
Size of Our Players on 14:53 - Jul 19 with 2001 viewsHunterhoop

Absolutely. A prime reason why I didn’t like us letting Leistner go, certainly without a replacement.

Even in yesterday’s win, and certainly since the restart, if not for most of the season, we get physically, not just aerially, dominated at set pieces when defending.

Luton has a goal disallowed, when Barbet was so weak and dominated by the Luton player. Yesterday, Millwall had two disallowed. In one, Masterson, who I have high hopes for, allowed himself to be completely out jumped. Now, the Millwall player was clearly climbing on his shoulders, and that in its own tight is a foul, but it’s still weak, naive defending of a aerial delivery.

We desperately need a big, physical, tall centre half. And if they can’t pass, Warburton will need to train them or adapt. You can’t conceded 70 odd goals and do well. And, no matter how good you are in open play, you can’t fail to defend set pieces; it means regardless of how much better you are than the oppo, you will always give them chances of drawing or beating you. It’s part of the game; it can’t be ignored.

The same is the case through the spine of a team. Amos is powder puff and too easily waltzed past. Up top, Hugill is the only player who fights with his back to goal or fights to get on the end of crosses.

We need to sign 3 physical, tall players, as a bare minimum right through the spine of the team. It’s not sacrificing our ethos; it’s simply being pragmatic and professional.
Size of Our Players on 15:06 - Jul 19 with 1954 viewsqpr_1968

any way of making chair a highchair.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Size of Our Players on 15:22 - Jul 19 with 1899 viewsfrancisbowles

Size of Our Players on 14:53 - Jul 19 by Hunterhoop

Absolutely. A prime reason why I didn’t like us letting Leistner go, certainly without a replacement.

Even in yesterday’s win, and certainly since the restart, if not for most of the season, we get physically, not just aerially, dominated at set pieces when defending.

Luton has a goal disallowed, when Barbet was so weak and dominated by the Luton player. Yesterday, Millwall had two disallowed. In one, Masterson, who I have high hopes for, allowed himself to be completely out jumped. Now, the Millwall player was clearly climbing on his shoulders, and that in its own tight is a foul, but it’s still weak, naive defending of a aerial delivery.

We desperately need a big, physical, tall centre half. And if they can’t pass, Warburton will need to train them or adapt. You can’t conceded 70 odd goals and do well. And, no matter how good you are in open play, you can’t fail to defend set pieces; it means regardless of how much better you are than the oppo, you will always give them chances of drawing or beating you. It’s part of the game; it can’t be ignored.

The same is the case through the spine of a team. Amos is powder puff and too easily waltzed past. Up top, Hugill is the only player who fights with his back to goal or fights to get on the end of crosses.

We need to sign 3 physical, tall players, as a bare minimum right through the spine of the team. It’s not sacrificing our ethos; it’s simply being pragmatic and professional.

I would agree with most of that, however, Amos has looked much better since we brought Cameron into the 2 and moved Luke forward into the three. Even his tackling has looked stronger, maybe because it's less desperate.

Do you think Masterson can be developed into that centre back, especially if we can get a veteran CB as part of the squad?

I think we need a bigger fullback as well, to replace Manning.
Size of Our Players on 15:27 - Jul 19 with 1870 viewsBoston

Size of Our Players on 15:06 - Jul 19 by qpr_1968

any way of making chair a highchair.

He’ll do fine as long as he doesn’t become a La-Z-Boy.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Size of Our Players on 15:51 - Jul 19 with 1810 viewsTacticalR

Not a new problem. I really noticed this during the Wigan game. They were much bigger than us and we got outmuscled. This size problem was summed up in the build-up to the Wigan goal when Robinson charged up from the back with little Chair scampering along beside him.

Air hostess clique

Size of Our Players on 15:57 - Jul 19 with 1789 viewskarl

Another reason the return to form and consistency of Joe Lumley is crucial, although we did concede from high balls yesterday he managed to hold onto a few crosses and punched others.
Kelly struggles with this as obviously a good bit smaller, Joe did poorly with one deep ball that ended up with them putting a header against the post from a tight angle and would have rightly drawn some criticism but overall he stood up to the challenge I think and is an addition to the defence, hopefully can become more dominant
Size of Our Players on 17:21 - Jul 19 with 1649 viewsfrancisbowles

It is another reason why our main striker needs to be tall. Smith and Hugill have both been good at defensive set pieces.
Size of Our Players on 17:58 - Jul 19 with 1574 viewsEmpireStateRanger

I wonder if we’ll go back in for that Scottish defender this summer. I remember him being a physical presence and now we may actually have a little money to spend.
Login to get fewer ads

Size of Our Players on 20:46 - Jul 19 with 1444 viewsGloucs_R

If you look at the elite Prem teams u23 squads, they were monsters. 18 years old who are 6'4 and built like a brick out house. So yes, I agree with Mark and think it's a weakness having too many small, lightweight players.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Size of Our Players on 21:28 - Jul 19 with 1405 viewskarl

Size of Our Players on 17:58 - Jul 19 by EmpireStateRanger

I wonder if we’ll go back in for that Scottish defender this summer. I remember him being a physical presence and now we may actually have a little money to spend.

May well have been one of those subtle public reminders to those holding the purse strings that there's a type of player we need and its likely needing a few quid spent from the income of transfers coming up.
Size of Our Players on 21:39 - Jul 19 with 1385 viewsVancouverHoop

Barbet's 6'2", Cameron's 6'3" not tiny by any means, also our most experienced defenders now Angel's gone. Though it's true there's not much height in the rest of the team. Losing Leistner and Hall in quick succession was unfortunate. But we've several six-footers, Masterson, Wallace, Ball, Hugill (if he stays.) More height might mean less speed elsewhere on the pitch.
Size of Our Players on 22:01 - Jul 19 with 1330 viewsHunterhoop

Size of Our Players on 21:39 - Jul 19 by VancouverHoop

Barbet's 6'2", Cameron's 6'3" not tiny by any means, also our most experienced defenders now Angel's gone. Though it's true there's not much height in the rest of the team. Losing Leistner and Hall in quick succession was unfortunate. But we've several six-footers, Masterson, Wallace, Ball, Hugill (if he stays.) More height might mean less speed elsewhere on the pitch.

That hides the issue. Barbet and Masterson may be 6ft or more but they get bossed physically and in the air. The proof is there in every game.

Cameron and Ball are okay but not the best at marking at set pieces.

Hugill may not be here next year.

We just miss that type of centre half who sees it as his mission to get his head on the ball before the opposition player does. In the Championship that is important.
Size of Our Players on 22:06 - Jul 19 with 1312 viewsVancouverHoop

Size of Our Players on 22:01 - Jul 19 by Hunterhoop

That hides the issue. Barbet and Masterson may be 6ft or more but they get bossed physically and in the air. The proof is there in every game.

Cameron and Ball are okay but not the best at marking at set pieces.

Hugill may not be here next year.

We just miss that type of centre half who sees it as his mission to get his head on the ball before the opposition player does. In the Championship that is important.

Oh, I agree. Size is not the fundamental issue, which was my point. Warburton seemed to be saying it was.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 22:08]
Size of Our Players on 22:14 - Jul 19 with 1287 viewsTacticalR

Is there any way our players could be inflated?

Air hostess clique

Size of Our Players on 22:55 - Jul 19 with 1237 viewsBoston

Size of Our Players on 22:14 - Jul 19 by TacticalR

Is there any way our players could be inflated?

Balloon d’Or?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Size of Our Players on 10:00 - Jul 20 with 1062 viewsfrancisbowles

Size of Our Players on 22:06 - Jul 19 by VancouverHoop

Oh, I agree. Size is not the fundamental issue, which was my point. Warburton seemed to be saying it was.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 22:08]

Well there is a bit of a difference between being 6ft and some of the giants in this division who are 6ft 6 or more, especially when they get a run and jump versus a standing jump.
Size of Our Players on 16:27 - Jul 20 with 956 viewstimcocking

We could do with Macca...
Size of Our Players on 17:25 - Jul 20 with 893 viewsLazyFan

Size of Our Players on 16:27 - Jul 20 by timcocking

We could do with Macca...

Every team could do with a Macca. I bet if Macca had never smoked or liked a drink, Fergie would have bought him. He was the sort of no-nonsense defender that Fergie liked.

zzzzzzzzzz

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024