Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Underrated Albums Thread 20:59 - Sep 6 with 5829 viewsmarkrtid

Do you ever feel that the album you loved needed to be shown a lot more love?

‘Mess’ by Liars
Primal burst of ritualistic electronics that sacrifices self persecution for potent, purposeful abandon. (I know right?)

I just think its bloody clever. Smell my socks!

Underrated Albums Thread on 23:50 - Sep 12 with 1502 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Underrated Albums Thread on 11:38 - Oct 15 with 1411 viewsqprxtc

Currently playing Dirk Wears White Sox - Adam and the Ants.

It’s a Stonker.
Underrated Albums Thread on 12:09 - Oct 15 with 1393 viewsderbyhoop

The War on Drugs. Saw them live at Albert Hall, Manchester

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Underrated Albums Thread on 12:40 - Oct 15 with 1371 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Underrated Albums Thread on 15:54 - Sep 7 by kensalriser

I was a fan in my pre house days. I could never understand why they weren't bigger but looking back, they had a terrible, unmemorable name, a nothing image and Adrian Borland was quite introspective and not suited for the PR and promotion game. I didn't know he committed suicide in 1999, that wasn't a nice thing to learn.

Sorry kensal I have only just seen this response.

Yes Borland suffered from Bipolar. They were a really great band who I saw many times, but as you say it was a bit of a ridiculous name and they were more interested in the music than the image which was a bit of a strategic error in the 80s! Borland went on to do some great solo work but eventually life got too much for him and I think he walked in front of a train. Very sad.

On a more upbeat not glad to see you like House and I presume you are a regular reader of one of the best threads on here?
Underrated Albums Thread on 12:48 - Oct 15 with 1360 viewsQPRSteve

Jack Bruce - Harmony Row

Can't believe this album never charted/
Underrated Albums Thread on 13:13 - Oct 15 with 1344 viewsLythamR

Sleep with Angels - Neil Young & Crazy Horse

really beautiful piece of work that pulls on the old heart strings.

[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 13:15]
Underrated Albums Thread on 15:21 - Oct 15 with 1301 viewskensalriser

Underrated Albums Thread on 12:40 - Oct 15 by CroydonCaptJack

Sorry kensal I have only just seen this response.

Yes Borland suffered from Bipolar. They were a really great band who I saw many times, but as you say it was a bit of a ridiculous name and they were more interested in the music than the image which was a bit of a strategic error in the 80s! Borland went on to do some great solo work but eventually life got too much for him and I think he walked in front of a train. Very sad.

On a more upbeat not glad to see you like House and I presume you are a regular reader of one of the best threads on here?

Yes, I am an occasional contributor to That Thread!

For some odd reason I don't remember ever seeing The Sound which is weird considering the number of gigs I must have been to.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 15:22]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Underrated Albums Thread on 15:27 - Oct 15 with 1296 viewskensalriser

One I've been re-enjoying: Real Life by Magazine.

Delighted to find the vinyl in my collection this week despite having no recollection of buying it. I know I didn't get it on release and it still has a Reckless Soho sticker which means I bought it some time after 1984, that doesn't narrow it down much.

Brilliant album that doesn't have a duff track on it and very ahead of its time considering it was recorded in March/April 1978.

[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 20:15]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Underrated Albums Thread on 15:49 - Oct 15 with 1277 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Top class fretboard antics, but sales were abysmal

Underrated Albums Thread on 15:59 - Oct 15 with 1276 viewsrobith

Underrated Albums Thread on 12:09 - Oct 15 by derbyhoop

Not to be pedantic, but TWOD are pretty rated aren't they?

Lost in the Dream reviews:

Underrated Albums Thread on 16:20 - Oct 15 with 1266 viewsW7Ranger

What about Susan Boyle's party album?

"Su's Anal Bum Party"

[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 16:42]
Underrated Albums Thread on 19:12 - Oct 15 with 1233 viewslarsricchi

Underrated Albums Thread on 12:09 - Oct 15 by derbyhoop

Lost in the Dream was certainly not underrated on my side of the Atlantic. You couldn't read a "best-of" list that year without seeing that album, almost always at the top.

That said, fabulous album.

EDIT: I am robith's echo.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 19:14]
Underrated Albums Thread on 21:14 - Oct 15 with 1199 viewsdanehoop

Boo Hewerdine - Harmonograph, one of the UKs most underrated singer song writers. Had brief period of commercial success with his band The Bible in the early 90's, with 2 great albums, Graceland and Mahlia. Then went solo made a lot of albums, and wrote for lots of people including Eddi Reader (who he often gigs with and plays in her band). Probably his best solo album is a gem called Harmonograph. Just a nice piece of pop.

[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 21:15]

Never knowingly understood

Underrated Albums Thread on 22:53 - Oct 15 with 1167 viewsderbyhoop

Underrated Albums Thread on 19:12 - Oct 15 by larsricchi

Lost in the Dream was certainly not underrated on my side of the Atlantic. You couldn't read a "best-of" list that year without seeing that album, almost always at the top.

That said, fabulous album.

EDIT: I am robith's echo.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 19:14]

Lots of great reviews at the time, but 5 or 6 years on how many people know them?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Underrated Albums Thread on 10:22 - Oct 16 with 1105 viewsrobith

Underrated Albums Thread on 22:53 - Oct 15 by derbyhoop

Lots of great reviews at the time, but 5 or 6 years on how many people know them?

Well, I guess "indie"/guitar music is in a big trough these days and bands don't really cut through to huge popularity the way they did even like 10 years ago. But their last UK headline show was 2017 on their last album and they played Ally Pally which is pretty huge. They last played at The National day at All Points East and it was absolutely mobbed.

The main barrier to them would be their last album was kinda lame
Underrated Albums Thread on 17:32 - Oct 16 with 1077 viewsR_from_afar

Hypnotic, uptempo, instrumental - and heavily processed - guitar music

Track 3 is wicked!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Underrated Albums Thread on 22:49 - Oct 16 with 1035 viewsSK_hoops

Don Caballero - American Don.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2020 12:03]
Underrated Albums Thread on 07:06 - Oct 18 with 1005 viewslarsricchi

Underrated Albums Thread on 10:22 - Oct 16 by robith

Well, I guess "indie"/guitar music is in a big trough these days and bands don't really cut through to huge popularity the way they did even like 10 years ago. But their last UK headline show was 2017 on their last album and they played Ally Pally which is pretty huge. They last played at The National day at All Points East and it was absolutely mobbed.

The main barrier to them would be their last album was kinda lame

My friends and I saw them in 2012 at small venue. Adam the singer spent a great deal of the show yelling "Wooooo!" in between guitar heroics; it got to the point that more and more of the crowd were shouting "Wooooo!" back at him with each exclamation.

He also gave the sound guy a piece of his mind as the set wound down. (Tbf, the sound at Gabe's Oasis in Iowa City can be, um, not great.)

Two years later, I ended up loving Lost in the Dream, but the few times he uses "Woooo!" as a lyric on that album, I can't help but chuckle.
Underrated Albums Thread on 23:37 - Jan 16 with 891 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Charlatans - Melting Pot

[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 23:37]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Underrated Albums Thread on 00:08 - Jan 17 with 866 viewsFaurlinho

Streetcore, Joe Strummer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024