Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Soup 18:28 - Sep 30 with 2535 viewsBoston

As we draw closer to the winter, my thoughts turn to soup. Favourite British is good old Oxtail, over here Clam Chowder, though I’ve developed quite a liking for Pea & Ham recently.
Many years ago I was in a Chinese restaurant at DuPont Circle in Washington, went into a basement eatery and had a beef and tomato variety that blew me away.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 18:30]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Soup on 22:45 - Sep 30 with 697 viewsBoston

Agree with all the accompanying bread comments, an absolute must.

Soup on 22:48 - Sep 30 with 693 viewsBoston

Oh yeah, tomorrow I’ll be staring a cardigan and slippers thread😀

Soup on 22:51 - Sep 30 with 684 viewsqprxtc

Soup. Oh man I f ucking love soup. There is nothing better than a delicious big steaming hot bowl of delicious soup. It’s heart warming, soul embracing and just downright magnificent and delicious.

Unless some fuvker puts cheese in it. Cheese, the devils cock cream. Disgusting, bacterial, foul f ucking cheese. People with no regard for their fellow human or their breath eat f ucking cheese.

Soup, without cheese, is delicious.
Soup on 22:51 - Sep 30 with 682 viewsBklynRanger

Good stuff Aston and Mick. Can't remember where you're both based but the Longdan supermarket in Hoxton has the actual Taiwanese noodles- you may already know this of course.

And know what you mean, Aston - have a whole Asian cupboard devoted to the same kind of escapism...
Soup on 09:26 - Oct 1 with 621 viewskernowhoop

Spiced parsnip, turnip and dill, stilton and onion... I could go on, but it is making me hungry.
Soup on 09:33 - Oct 1 with 613 viewsMickS

Soup on 18:51 - Sep 30 by BucksRanger

Broccoli and Stilton for me. Lidl used to sell a decent canned version.

Have you told xtc? He’ll be round with a big spoon.
Soup on 09:37 - Oct 1 with 607 viewsPhildo

Soup is a great way of losing some timber as well in that it is filling nutritious and relatively low in calories. Although the bread can negate that,
Soup on 10:22 - Oct 1 with 580 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I had Clam chouder for the first time last year on Boston Waterfront. OMG mmmmm nom nom nom.

The big crutons were tasty too.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Soup on 11:12 - Oct 1 with 560 viewsbakerloo8

Soup on 20:44 - Sep 30 by distortR

cream of tomato is the family go-to when anyone has a cold.
Creamy leek and potato for me, all the veg nicked from my employers garden adds a certain frisson.

Yeh I'm down with this.

Maligatawny and Oxtail other notables
Soup on 11:40 - Oct 1 with 547 viewsdistortR

Soup on 11:12 - Oct 1 by bakerloo8

Yeh I'm down with this.

Maligatawny and Oxtail other notables

genuine quote from last year, in the kitchen garden - "I thought we had planted more leeks"

Soup on 12:13 - Oct 1 with 535 viewsMonahoop

Fish chowder. Can't get enough of it. Much nicer without too much cream which if added liberally, can make it rather sickly.
Potato and leek soup rather nice too.

Carrot and corriander. The person that came up with that combination should have been put up against a wall and shot at dawn!!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Soup on 12:32 - Oct 1 with 521 viewsKonk

I don't eat meat anymore, but when I did, I loved a bit of pea and ham soup. Chicken soup when you're feeling poorly is an absolute winner too. Agree on Asian soups/broths though - just what you need on a cold day.

Many years ago, I got in from work and was in a rush to go out to the pub, so I made myself some Leek and potato soup and ate it when it was far too hot. Got a bit of white hot leek stuck on my bottom lip like a limpet, and couldn't peel it off. It took me about 30 seconds before I could fight the bas tard off, by which point half my mouth was incinerated. Walked round for about a week with a black lower lip. Never been back.

My Mum - who comes up with some mental kitchen ideas - had about 15 of us round for my Dad's birthday, and said she was gonna do "soup and bread". She did tinned Mushroom, Minestrone, Tomato and Chicken soup, all in the same pan. Absolutely rank. In some ways, a worse experience than the Potato and leek 3rd degree burns.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Soup on 12:35 - Oct 1 with 518 viewsMick_S

Soup on 12:32 - Oct 1 by Konk

I don't eat meat anymore, but when I did, I loved a bit of pea and ham soup. Chicken soup when you're feeling poorly is an absolute winner too. Agree on Asian soups/broths though - just what you need on a cold day.

Many years ago, I got in from work and was in a rush to go out to the pub, so I made myself some Leek and potato soup and ate it when it was far too hot. Got a bit of white hot leek stuck on my bottom lip like a limpet, and couldn't peel it off. It took me about 30 seconds before I could fight the bas tard off, by which point half my mouth was incinerated. Walked round for about a week with a black lower lip. Never been back.

My Mum - who comes up with some mental kitchen ideas - had about 15 of us round for my Dad's birthday, and said she was gonna do "soup and bread". She did tinned Mushroom, Minestrone, Tomato and Chicken soup, all in the same pan. Absolutely rank. In some ways, a worse experience than the Potato and leek 3rd degree burns.

That must have looked like a puddle. No offense mate.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Soup on 12:43 - Oct 1 with 507 viewsKonk

Soup on 12:35 - Oct 1 by Mick_S

That must have looked like a puddle. No offense mate.

It was fu cking horrible, mate. The only people who touched it were my Mum and Dad - who will eat any old sh it - me, and one of my brothers. Prison slop. Everyone else just tucked into the bread and butter. Whether it was a burst of inspiration/curiosity or simply the desire to cut down on washing-up, I couldn't tell you, but it was fuc king awful.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Soup on 12:45 - Oct 1 with 504 viewsR_from_afar

Soup on 21:12 - Sep 30 by Juzzie

Very much an Eastern European/Russian flavour in our household.... chicken, potatoes, spilt peas, carrot, onion, herbs, broth, dash of sour cream and so on with home made bread.

[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 21:13]

Have you tried the Polish sour soup zurek? We used to have country specific menus every now and then in the canteen at my last company and when we had a Polish day, that soup was on offer. A lot of people were put off by the concept of a sour soup but I tried it and very much approved!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Soup on 12:47 - Oct 1 with 499 viewsCorbyQPR

Anyone ever found a decent Hot & Sour soup from a shop!!?
Soup on 13:08 - Oct 1 with 464 viewsdannyblue

Soup on 12:43 - Oct 1 by Konk

It was fu cking horrible, mate. The only people who touched it were my Mum and Dad - who will eat any old sh it - me, and one of my brothers. Prison slop. Everyone else just tucked into the bread and butter. Whether it was a burst of inspiration/curiosity or simply the desire to cut down on washing-up, I couldn't tell you, but it was fuc king awful.

I’m just wondering how your mum approached the rest of your dad’s birthday treats.

Granted this may be uncomfortable for you to think about.
Soup on 13:23 - Oct 1 with 445 viewsqueensparker

Soup on 12:47 - Oct 1 by CorbyQPR

Anyone ever found a decent Hot & Sour soup from a shop!!?

I’ve tried to make it from scratch a few times and it’s been nothing like a good restaurant one. There’s a few magic ingredients in there that are being kept secret
Soup on 13:43 - Oct 1 with 430 viewsSimonJames

The Pret A Manger Malaysian Chicken Soup recipe is really good.
They don't make it anymore in their shops but you can still find it on Google.

100% of people who drink water will die.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024