Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Millers Match Thread 10:12 - Nov 24 with 31924 viewsPinnerPaul

Double checked, can't see one so here goes!

1-0 win and Dykes to break his open play duck I'll go for.
Millers Match Thread on 21:32 - Nov 24 with 1703 viewsA40Bosh

Millers Match Thread on 21:02 - Nov 24 by Toast_R

Dieng looks like the next big thing on our books.

I think that Andy 'Sints' Sinton underestimated how fast that shot was travelling for that save he pushed over the bar when he effectively called it a "save you would expect him to make".
I felt that was the first save that said to me, yeah, this guy might actually be a great keeper in the making.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Millers Match Thread on 21:33 - Nov 24 with 1692 viewsflynnbo

Thank goodness for Dieng. He inspires confidence and is a courageous keeper.
Millers Match Thread on 21:36 - Nov 24 with 1666 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Glad the goals are flowing again. One hump we might have got over.
Millers Match Thread on 21:37 - Nov 24 with 1650 viewsRog

Millers Match Thread on 21:25 - Nov 24 by CiderwithRsie

If we can beat Brentford 9-0 on Friday we go above them on GD and we're all happy.

I don't ask for much.

Only needs to be 5-0
Millers Match Thread on 21:37 - Nov 24 with 1642 viewsMyke

Millers Match Thread on 21:27 - Nov 24 by Hunterhoop

Masterson is comfortably the slowest of the 3. Watch the first 15 mins and one long ball into the channel in behind Kakay. Masterson has a 3 yard head start and got outpaced by their big target man. Watch Charlton away last season in lockdown.

Masterson has potential but he is painfully slow but not physically strong enough either. He either needs to get quicker (very tough) or get a lot stronger and bigger and become a more physical type of centre half. He is no sweeper though.

Have to agree to disagree on that. Watched Masterson many times for Ireland underage teams - he covers the ground very well, certainly quicker than Dickie. But anyway, that's a discussion for another day, great to get the win
Millers Match Thread on 21:38 - Nov 24 with 1637 viewsA40Bosh

Millers Match Thread on 21:14 - Nov 24 by BrianMcCarthy

I though Niko was very good until about the 65-70 minute mark, and then either tired mentally or physically starting with those two sliding challenges. After that his positioning was off and his touch deserted him. He looked well tired by the end.

I thought that Kakay needed to be given a rest early in the second half. Nothing went right for him tonight. All players have games like that, but with 5 subs available, and only 3 used it seemed odd to have both still on for the duration.

I forget who came on for WIllock when he was subbed, was it Bonne, but I seem to remember squinting at the screen as I thought I was seeing two Nikos at left back for a lot of the first half as Willock was doing some excellent defensive covering alongside Niko.

Perhaps once Willock came off Niko had less cover and protection and certainly seemed to struggle for the last 20mins.

As people have said, not sure what was up with Ossie Kakay tonight, but as Warbs has said on a number of occasions you have to expect and accept inconsistency in these young players during their development.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Millers Match Thread on 21:38 - Nov 24 with 1630 viewsAntti_Heinola

Millers Match Thread on 21:23 - Nov 24 by Hunterhoop

Agree. Niko was good for the first hour. Kakay had a very poor game. One to forget.

But the broader point you’re alluding to is ultimately that Warbs didn’t manage that second half well. I’m no Cameron fan, but taking off our tallest player with 15min left and an aerial bombardment about to obviously begin, was very odd. Bringing on Bonne and going 2 up front, when you’re two up and they’re going long seemed odd too. None of it worked. We ceded all possession and momentum.

Yes, the players lost their brains in the last 15. We’re clearly a side that doesn’t know “how” to win, but I’m not sure Warbs’ changes helped us given the oppo and their likely only route to scoring...

Interesting points.
I'd say he went two up top to try and win more balls when we were getting it forward quickly - I thought it was a surprising move, but there was logic in it- give them two to think about and try and get Chair and/or our wide players feeding off them. Annoyingly, Bonne just went and stood offside all game, so it really didn't work.
I understood taking Cameron off too - we weren't getting hold of the ball, and getting LTC on might've helped us calm it down and keep the ball better - but at the same time I did think we could do with Cameron's height as they were bombarding us. Also, Cameron was clearly knackered and sometimes fresh legs are better. In terms of combatting what they were doing, there weren't a lot of options! But that didn't ork either - Carroll probably did what he was supposed to do, but we looked outnumbered a lot.
I will say I was a bit surprised Cameron started at all, mind.

Bare bones.

Millers Match Thread on 21:39 - Nov 24 with 1617 viewsCiderwithRsie

Millers Match Thread on 21:37 - Nov 24 by Rog

Only needs to be 5-0

Doh! Of course.

Should be easy then
Login to get fewer ads

Millers Match Thread on 21:40 - Nov 24 with 1596 viewsGreenbay

Have we missed this because it's a plus?
The defence must have been working hard on the training ground.
How many times tonight and also against Watford have we caught the opposition offside.
Answer - loads of times.
Obviously one's heart is in your mouth cos if they get it wrong!!!
But that is a massive PLUS for us.
Millers Match Thread on 21:46 - Nov 24 with 1530 viewsCiderwithRsie

Millers Match Thread on 21:40 - Nov 24 by Greenbay

Have we missed this because it's a plus?
The defence must have been working hard on the training ground.
How many times tonight and also against Watford have we caught the opposition offside.
Answer - loads of times.
Obviously one's heart is in your mouth cos if they get it wrong!!!
But that is a massive PLUS for us.

Woooaahh, careful now. What you are suggesting there is that someone at QPR knows how to coach defending. That sort of talk can get you burnt at the stake round here.

Tbh a night when we let in two may not be the best time to make the point; good spot if you're right though.
Millers Match Thread on 21:47 - Nov 24 with 1528 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Millers Match Thread on 21:23 - Nov 24 by Hunterhoop

Agree. Niko was good for the first hour. Kakay had a very poor game. One to forget.

But the broader point you’re alluding to is ultimately that Warbs didn’t manage that second half well. I’m no Cameron fan, but taking off our tallest player with 15min left and an aerial bombardment about to obviously begin, was very odd. Bringing on Bonne and going 2 up front, when you’re two up and they’re going long seemed odd too. None of it worked. We ceded all possession and momentum.

Yes, the players lost their brains in the last 15. We’re clearly a side that doesn’t know “how” to win, but I’m not sure Warbs’ changes helped us given the oppo and their likely only route to scoring...

I was just chatting to a fellow R about the changes, Hunter.

Agreed that the three changes all weakened us. I can only think they were down to sports science advice and that all three players were at their injury threshold.

Either way, I'd have brought on Wallace for Niko as well, and maybe Kane for Kakay (though that might also have weakened us aerially.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Millers Match Thread on 21:47 - Nov 24 with 1520 viewsHunterhoop

Millers Match Thread on 21:38 - Nov 24 by Antti_Heinola

Interesting points.
I'd say he went two up top to try and win more balls when we were getting it forward quickly - I thought it was a surprising move, but there was logic in it- give them two to think about and try and get Chair and/or our wide players feeding off them. Annoyingly, Bonne just went and stood offside all game, so it really didn't work.
I understood taking Cameron off too - we weren't getting hold of the ball, and getting LTC on might've helped us calm it down and keep the ball better - but at the same time I did think we could do with Cameron's height as they were bombarding us. Also, Cameron was clearly knackered and sometimes fresh legs are better. In terms of combatting what they were doing, there weren't a lot of options! But that didn't ork either - Carroll probably did what he was supposed to do, but we looked outnumbered a lot.
I will say I was a bit surprised Cameron started at all, mind.

Agree there was logic, Antti, but it was evidently the wrong call. We became worse. A lot worse. And, for the reasons I stated, they were clearly questionable decisions at the time for the reasons I stated.

I’m a Warburton fan. We were excellent against Watford, but I think it’s important we’re honest and that second hand was poor and the last 20 an utter shambles. That should not be the case two up against a team with a much smaller budget and worse players than you, who you had been dominating.
Millers Match Thread on 21:51 - Nov 24 with 1462 viewsTacticalR

Are we back to conceding 2 goals a game like we were last season? If so, we have to score 3. It all makes perfect sense.

Air hostess clique

Millers Match Thread on 21:55 - Nov 24 with 1411 viewsHunterhoop

Millers Match Thread on 21:27 - Nov 24 by BazzaInTheLoft

Bear in mind Cameron is 35 and playing Rotherham is an athletic endeavour.

Fully aware of that. And i’m not Geoff’s biggest fan either! And I thought his distribution was poor all game. I can see where Warburton was coming from.

But Warburton has persisted in playing him in almost every minute of every game so far! Taking him off in the game where it was blindingly obvious we were about to receive an aerial bombardment and we’re already missing Dickie AND replacing him with Carroll, is, at the very least questionable. I’m not suggesting he’s terrible manager, or I want him out, or whatever hyperbole you’re setting up with that straw man, but it’s worthy of critique on a message board.

I like Warburton. Very happy we won.
Millers Match Thread on 22:08 - Nov 24 with 1274 viewsdigswellhoop

Good win should have been more think keeper should have been better with there first
Millers Match Thread on 22:09 - Nov 24 with 1283 viewsPhilmyRs

Millers Match Thread on 21:47 - Nov 24 by Hunterhoop

Agree there was logic, Antti, but it was evidently the wrong call. We became worse. A lot worse. And, for the reasons I stated, they were clearly questionable decisions at the time for the reasons I stated.

I’m a Warburton fan. We were excellent against Watford, but I think it’s important we’re honest and that second hand was poor and the last 20 an utter shambles. That should not be the case two up against a team with a much smaller budget and worse players than you, who you had been dominating.

This is QPR right, that’s exactly the sort of thing we do.

The 3 points were all that mattered this evening. We’ve had some good performances this season which haven’t yielded the deserved points - last week and Bournemouth stand out. Had we drawn this evening it would have seriously affected the team, as it is we have points to reflect the effort and hard work.

Our team today included Dieng, Kakay, Nico, Masterson, Willock, Dykes. Between them they’ve played hardly any football, let alone Championship football. Saying the last 20 was unacceptable, shouldn’t happen given the respective budgets and the way the game was going is all very true if your talking about a team with experience. Barbet and Geoff C were the only real experience we had, even BOS is still learning his trade. For me, that sort of performance is just the type of thing we can expect this season.
Millers Match Thread on 22:12 - Nov 24 with 1260 viewsOldPedro

Millers Match Thread on 21:14 - Nov 24 by BrianMcCarthy

I though Niko was very good until about the 65-70 minute mark, and then either tired mentally or physically starting with those two sliding challenges. After that his positioning was off and his touch deserted him. He looked well tired by the end.

I thought that Kakay needed to be given a rest early in the second half. Nothing went right for him tonight. All players have games like that, but with 5 subs available, and only 3 used it seemed odd to have both still on for the duration.

Wonder if Niko's struggles were also because he lost his out ball when Willock went off. Bringing Bonne on seemed to upset the balance down the left.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Millers Match Thread on 22:13 - Nov 24 with 1243 viewsHunterhoop

Millers Match Thread on 22:09 - Nov 24 by PhilmyRs

This is QPR right, that’s exactly the sort of thing we do.

The 3 points were all that mattered this evening. We’ve had some good performances this season which haven’t yielded the deserved points - last week and Bournemouth stand out. Had we drawn this evening it would have seriously affected the team, as it is we have points to reflect the effort and hard work.

Our team today included Dieng, Kakay, Nico, Masterson, Willock, Dykes. Between them they’ve played hardly any football, let alone Championship football. Saying the last 20 was unacceptable, shouldn’t happen given the respective budgets and the way the game was going is all very true if your talking about a team with experience. Barbet and Geoff C were the only real experience we had, even BOS is still learning his trade. For me, that sort of performance is just the type of thing we can expect this season.

I would agree with all of that against a Preston, Millwall, or any mid-table or above side. But against a Rotherham side with no more experience than us, who will be down near the bottom come May and who have a smaller budget without as strong a youth set up as us?

I’m all for being realistic and defending the club and it’s approach but the last 20 was unprofessional not just poor. It’s a learning experience, I get that. But you only improve if you recognise your failings. I hope we learn from the last 20.
Millers Match Thread on 22:15 - Nov 24 with 1223 viewsHunterhoop

Millers Match Thread on 22:12 - Nov 24 by OldPedro

Wonder if Niko's struggles were also because he lost his out ball when Willock went off. Bringing Bonne on seemed to upset the balance down the left.

Very good point. Different shape could have certainly impacted him. I’m adamant shape (and all players understanding and adhering to it) trumps players or budgets or tactics in terms of how good a team looks.
Millers Match Thread on 22:18 - Nov 24 with 1205 viewsNorthernr

We weren't the same team once Willock went off. So much of our good was because of him. We barely strung two passes together when he went off, Bonne particularly poor. We then bring LTC on try and rectify that, which isn't a bad move per se given how well he'd played with the ball at the weekend, but it was just as they'd gone really big and direct off their bench and it removed one of our physical players. We basically lost all control of the game in the last 30 minutes, probably lucky to escape with the win.
Millers Match Thread on 22:28 - Nov 24 with 1153 viewsNorthantsHoop

Got the 3 points, didn't crack at 1-1, came back and finished that 1st half well, with a cracker from BOS and the penalty. Thought Willock's substitition unbalanced the left, he is a real prospect. Shame he didn't get a shot away rather than square it to Chair midway through second half. Kakay had a bit of a tough game, looked rusty after being left out for a few games. Rotherham went route 1 and physical, we did hold on well. Played that offside trap pretty well. Thought Masterson had a good game and Niko strong on the left, but was left a bit exposed when Willock went off. Great to have Dieng in goal, he is going great guns. Willock and Chair developing a good understanding in their interplay. Hope we can give Brentford a game on Friday, rather than our usual roll over at their place.
Millers Match Thread on 23:20 - Nov 24 with 1006 viewsAntti_Heinola

Millers Match Thread on 21:47 - Nov 24 by Hunterhoop

Well, with a bit of luck we escaped with a win, and maybe long term, the subs were good for those who went off! Who knows.

I wouldn't say the last 20 was an utter shambles either. Wasn't very good, we were clinging on, but we played the offside well, kept working etc. I was actually more disappointed in our ability to keep possession for a bit, and the 5 or 6 times we gave it away very cheaply under little pressure. Many teams will struggle with balls being pumped in like that, and almost through sheer number of balls they were bound to create something. But one or two silly fouls and not keeping possession was bigger cause for concern for me.

Still, while we cracked, we didn't split open. Good learning experience.

Bare bones.

Millers Match Thread on 23:33 - Nov 24 with 961 viewsNorthernr

I actually thought all the subs made sense at the time they were made.

They've obviously been told Willock could only do an hour. He's going off who do you put on? Adomah maybe an obvious answer but is Adomah going to charge around and close down and high press? Maybe not. So you put Bonne on to do that. Also push forward for the killer fourth goal with two up front. It's not a terrible idea if Willock really can't go on any longer, but Bonne played the role really poorly. Constantly looking to run in behind a high line, and frequently going offide as a result, when the deep players needed somebody to show to feet, hold the ball, bring others into play, and move us up the pitch. Bonne's been up and down since he joined, obviously very raw, but he was fcking crap tonight, doing stupid things.

Clearly, having done that, we're in trouble. We're not keeping the ball as we were. We can't string passes together. So you look to bring Carroll on. Again, this makes sense in principal. Carroll was excellent at the weekend, receiving, recycling, showing, giving. Exactly what we stopped doing second half, exactly what we lost when Wiullock went off, I wanted Carroll on too. It made sense. And Geoff is old, has basically played every minute this season, had been injured earlier in the game, and was baggage. It's a fair sub to make. Problem is, we're bringing on a very lightweight player at the same time Rotherham - having already pushed Vassell up with Smith and added an attacking midfielder behind - are now adding Ladapo and going three big bstrds up top, options behind and a full on aerial assault.

Likewise Adomah, trying to be a fresh Bright after he'd tired. I do think we're at times a bit quick to criticise "why the fck is he going off, or he not starting, why's he making that sub" when we're not in full possession of who's injured, who's flagging, who they sports science guys have said can only do 60 and so on. Ideal world tonight you leave Willock and Bright exactly where they are, we play the second half like the first, but as I said on here the other week about Adomah - do you think Warburton wants to be taking these players off? Of course not. This is game 2/12 in six weeks. We saw what happened when McClaren flogged the same 11 players through the first half of the season.

Bonne was a big problem for us tonight. Didn't do what we needed. And also, trying to just get through the time. We needed to be braver, keep rolling it out off Dieng and trying to play, rather than just trying to punt down the pitch. They were beating us to the first and second balls, we needed to control possession. We tried to play Rotherham at their game, which was never going to go well. I don't really blame Warburton for any of it TBH, I thought each change made sense at the time, and the players just got nervy and panicked.

We got the win, that's what matters. It was terrifying. Actually quite fasicnating now thinking back on it, two teams there basically completely changed their styles across the 90 minutes, multiple changes, started with one team 80% on top and ended with the other one similarly dominant.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Millers Match Thread on 23:47 - Nov 24 with 924 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Millers Match Thread on 21:55 - Nov 24 by Hunterhoop

Fully aware of that. And i’m not Geoff’s biggest fan either! And I thought his distribution was poor all game. I can see where Warburton was coming from.

But Warburton has persisted in playing him in almost every minute of every game so far! Taking him off in the game where it was blindingly obvious we were about to receive an aerial bombardment and we’re already missing Dickie AND replacing him with Carroll, is, at the very least questionable. I’m not suggesting he’s terrible manager, or I want him out, or whatever hyperbole you’re setting up with that straw man, but it’s worthy of critique on a message board.

I like Warburton. Very happy we won.

You’ve truly misunderstood me. I agree fully.
Millers Match Thread on 23:52 - Nov 24 with 907 viewsVancouverHoop

I thought some of the youngsters ran out of legs. Niko was MOTM level for the first hour, but just lost it after that. Same with Masterson, and Kakay had his poorest game since he became a regular. We're expecting a lot from players who've only been shaving for a few years.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024