Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Double standards? 23:35 - Jan 2 with 1675 viewsHastings_Hoops

Wondered if anyone knows the answer to this: given the decision to not play Manning, but to play Bright throughout the contract stand-off; is it actually more to do with the fact that Manning would leave for nothing (no compensation due to age), whereas BOS would attract compensation.

Does the tribunal decide the value of the compensation by the amount of games played for the club - this would explain a business case for the difference in approach - the more demonstrably important Bright is, the higher the compensation?

Double standards? on 02:59 - Jan 3 with 1507 viewsMatch82

At the time I thought the claimed argument was that conversations on manning contract were going nowhere but that we were making progress on talks with Bright.
Double standards? on 08:47 - Jan 3 with 1381 viewsHastings_Hoops

I suspect that is the ‘public’ position - but given that Bright entitles us to compensation, I suppose it would be necessary to demonstrate his value to the club by playing him, in order to maximise said compensation when it’s determined by a tribunal?
Double standards? on 09:42 - Jan 3 with 1268 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I think it was that Manning wouldn't negotiate whatsoever whereas BOS or his people at least went through the motions of negotiating.

I think they were absolutely right to sell Manning and it's a real shame that the BOS sale didn't go through as well.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Double standards? on 11:00 - Jan 3 with 1113 viewsfrancisbowles

Double standards? on 09:42 - Jan 3 by BrianMcCarthy

I think it was that Manning wouldn't negotiate whatsoever whereas BOS or his people at least went through the motions of negotiating.

I think they were absolutely right to sell Manning and it's a real shame that the BOS sale didn't go through as well.

Totally agree with that Brian. The compensation factor was mentioned by MW in one interview but it can't be the major reason as it only applies if he goes to a club in an English league.

If we can get a reasonable fee in this window, we need to take it. Hopefully, reports of interest from Palace and West Ham materialise in competing bids, which may help the fee up from rock bottom.
Double standards? on 11:10 - Jan 3 with 1086 viewsdaveB

It looked to me that the club thought that by dropping Manning he would change his mind and sign the contract due to a lack of other options whilst Bright they wanted in the shop window to sell before the window shut.When Manning didn't sign they had backed themselves in a corner and they obviously thought Niko was going to be a lot better than he actually is so rather than swallow pride and just put him back in the team and lose him on a free they forced him out.

Neither decision looks to be the right one in hindsight as we'll get no compensation if Bright goes to Celtic in the summer
Double standards? on 11:56 - Jan 3 with 1024 viewsdavman

Double standards? on 11:10 - Jan 3 by daveB

It looked to me that the club thought that by dropping Manning he would change his mind and sign the contract due to a lack of other options whilst Bright they wanted in the shop window to sell before the window shut.When Manning didn't sign they had backed themselves in a corner and they obviously thought Niko was going to be a lot better than he actually is so rather than swallow pride and just put him back in the team and lose him on a free they forced him out.

Neither decision looks to be the right one in hindsight as we'll get no compensation if Bright goes to Celtic in the summer

What about the fact that the manager is out of contract this summer?

Anyone?

Football clubs can't have it both ways. They were desperate for Onouha's, Hill's, Faurlin's and others contracts to run down to let them go, but now they come all draconian when players want to run their own contracts down.

Just get used to the fact that the only way to get this "buy low, sell high" model to work is a) to get your scouting right; b) make sure that you sign the RIGHT players to long term deals; c) take a decision a couple of years out and either look to sell if a player does not want to sign or sign 'em up on increased terms with a promised release clause.

Or you can wait until you have backed yourself into a corner and accept any bid coming in.

I appreciate that you can't make players sign, but a model needs to be found that works in this Bosman era (no pun intended...). I am not sure that our one does in this day and age.

(Throw in the Brexit rules that will (naturally) affect lower league clubs much more than the top ones meaning that we (or any other team) is unlikely to find a bargain in the lower foreign leagues (not that we have yet...) and the need for a different model is pretty urgent...).

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Double standards? on 12:12 - Jan 3 with 984 viewsBrianWilson

Manning is 18 months or so older than Bright. Perhaps that comes into the compensation due thing?

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Double standards? on 12:20 - Jan 3 with 952 viewskarl

Double standards? on 11:56 - Jan 3 by davman

What about the fact that the manager is out of contract this summer?

Anyone?

Football clubs can't have it both ways. They were desperate for Onouha's, Hill's, Faurlin's and others contracts to run down to let them go, but now they come all draconian when players want to run their own contracts down.

Just get used to the fact that the only way to get this "buy low, sell high" model to work is a) to get your scouting right; b) make sure that you sign the RIGHT players to long term deals; c) take a decision a couple of years out and either look to sell if a player does not want to sign or sign 'em up on increased terms with a promised release clause.

Or you can wait until you have backed yourself into a corner and accept any bid coming in.

I appreciate that you can't make players sign, but a model needs to be found that works in this Bosman era (no pun intended...). I am not sure that our one does in this day and age.

(Throw in the Brexit rules that will (naturally) affect lower league clubs much more than the top ones meaning that we (or any other team) is unlikely to find a bargain in the lower foreign leagues (not that we have yet...) and the need for a different model is pretty urgent...).

We're still a long way from being proven that our model isn't working, a good loan window and it may be that we're safe from relegation and a few players settle down a bit better.
Im sure there's currently none getting game time, or at best one or two quite long term, who will fit the Brentford level of sales but even having solid players in the first team squad or turning over for £500k etc from the youth or free transfer market will be a massive improvement from relatively recently.
The real test is going to be the like of Dykes who we paid a pretty decent amount on, these players have to be long term players or turn around for something like £3-4m minimum after 2 seasons to be seen as a proper investment, I think that will be a bigger challenge but at least with him he's performed at international level and if he can keep that up I'm sure he'll be saleable even if we can't find a system that gets the most out of him.
I still think it's the correct process
Login to get fewer ads

Double standards? on 12:41 - Jan 3 with 906 viewsHastings_Hoops

Double standards? on 12:12 - Jan 3 by BrianWilson

Manning is 18 months or so older than Bright. Perhaps that comes into the compensation due thing?

It dies - which was the point of my OP.

Manning = no compensation due.
BOS = Compensation due which is decided by tribunal, I assume based on his importance to the squad; hence play him and maximise the compensation figure determined by the tribunal.
Double standards? on 13:22 - Jan 3 with 804 viewsNoelmc

My understanding of the Club's policy was to send a clear message to other players that if they wanted to run down their contract and leave for free, they would not be picked for the first team.

I think the way it's been handled with BOS has clouded the issue. It appears that if you continue to "negotiate" or there's a prospect of compensation, you will be picked, although the end result may still be little or no compensation for the Club.

I know there are pros & cons of such a policy, but by watering it down, as in the BOS situation, it loses it's effectiveness so the Club may as well abandon it for the future.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024