Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Austin 22:36 - Jan 9 with 1842 viewsthame_hoops

After today’s defeat to Fulham, I dug out my lonely planet guide to Texas (i’ve previously visited Dallas, Galveston, and Houston and some other small towns) and was wondering if anyone has visited Austin Texas. Definitely one of the places I want to visit when we can start flying again. Any advice/tips appreciated.
Austin on 22:49 - Jan 9 with 1780 viewskarl

Sorry I'm going to San Antone or Phoenix Arizona. Charlie Pride.
We'll all have that at the end of the season... 😂
Austin on 22:54 - Jan 9 with 1764 viewsBoston

You don't have to go all the way to Texas mate, he's just rejoined us on loan.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Austin on 23:40 - Jan 9 with 1694 viewsted_hendrix

Cant find my LPG but we done the Texas road trip a while back so from memory;

We only stopped one night as we had to be back in Houston for the Saturday night so we only had a one day/night in Austin which we planned for Friday night because of the music scene on Sixth Street which is bloody awesome, there are plenty of youtube videos about Sixth street.
It only happens on Friday night when the whole area gets closed off by the Police and all the Texas weirdo's come out to play but there are all sorts of bars and things happening.
Gotta say if music isn't your scene then Austin wont hold much appeal.

Sixth Street on a Friday night is as good as the New Orleans nightlife.

Hotels are typical American hotels.

Word of warning we drove up from Corpus Christi on Interstate 35 and the LPG made specific note not to turn right at the bottom of one of the turn offs when you leave Interstate 35 as the area is riddled with crime and gangs. (cant remember the turn off number though)

If your leaving Austin and heading for Houston (cant remember the interstate number) but there are no diners for nearly 2 hours which is rare for Texas.

Apparently Texas Woman have the fattest arses of all American Women.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Austin on 00:04 - Jan 10 with 1639 viewslightwaterhoop

Ask the Mayor to rename it Charlie Austin.
Austin on 00:27 - Jan 10 with 1601 viewsthame_hoops

Austin on 23:40 - Jan 9 by ted_hendrix

Cant find my LPG but we done the Texas road trip a while back so from memory;

We only stopped one night as we had to be back in Houston for the Saturday night so we only had a one day/night in Austin which we planned for Friday night because of the music scene on Sixth Street which is bloody awesome, there are plenty of youtube videos about Sixth street.
It only happens on Friday night when the whole area gets closed off by the Police and all the Texas weirdo's come out to play but there are all sorts of bars and things happening.
Gotta say if music isn't your scene then Austin wont hold much appeal.

Sixth Street on a Friday night is as good as the New Orleans nightlife.

Hotels are typical American hotels.

Word of warning we drove up from Corpus Christi on Interstate 35 and the LPG made specific note not to turn right at the bottom of one of the turn offs when you leave Interstate 35 as the area is riddled with crime and gangs. (cant remember the turn off number though)

If your leaving Austin and heading for Houston (cant remember the interstate number) but there are no diners for nearly 2 hours which is rare for Texas.

Apparently Texas Woman have the fattest arses of all American Women.

My Mrs is from Texas, now living in England, no offence taken ha ha she is a personal trainer and a Pilates instructor.. However, from experience, women in Texas are extremely hot. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.
Austin on 01:17 - Jan 10 with 1573 viewsBoston

Austin on 00:27 - Jan 10 by thame_hoops

My Mrs is from Texas, now living in England, no offence taken ha ha she is a personal trainer and a Pilates instructor.. However, from experience, women in Texas are extremely hot. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

It’s the jalapeños mate, they put them in everything.

Austin on 01:36 - Jan 10 with 1557 viewsstrikerace

Austin is the best city in Texas. Has a real small town feel. Lots of dive bars, trendy bars, and trendy restaurants. City Capital smack in the middle, and the University of Texas right there. Short drive out to Lake Travis to drink and watch sunsets at the Oasis bar and grill. Mentioned in the country song "I've Got Friends in Low Places" (we hang out at the Oasis).

Feels like a town with pubs more than a city
Austin on 01:44 - Jan 10 with 1537 viewskarl

Austin on 01:17 - Jan 10 by Boston

It’s the jalapeños mate, they put them in everything.

N/m
[Post edited 10 Jan 2021 1:45]
Login to get fewer ads

Austin on 02:14 - Jan 10 with 1505 viewsBoston

Austin on 01:36 - Jan 10 by strikerace

Austin is the best city in Texas. Has a real small town feel. Lots of dive bars, trendy bars, and trendy restaurants. City Capital smack in the middle, and the University of Texas right there. Short drive out to Lake Travis to drink and watch sunsets at the Oasis bar and grill. Mentioned in the country song "I've Got Friends in Low Places" (we hang out at the Oasis).

Feels like a town with pubs more than a city

Yeah but...why go all the way to TX for stuff you can get everywhere else? Surely one travels to foreign parts to experience something different, heck man, where’s Travolta and the mechanical bull when you need him!

Austin on 15:31 - Jan 10 with 1349 viewsstrikerace

Yes Texas women are known for being very hot, especially the "Cowgirls".
Austin on 15:41 - Jan 10 with 1307 viewsthame_hoops

Austin on 15:31 - Jan 10 by strikerace

Yes Texas women are known for being very hot, especially the "Cowgirls".

Austin to San Antonio sounds a fun journey. Lone star beer, chicken fried steak, what’s not to like.
Austin on 15:58 - Jan 10 with 1262 viewsJustJules

It's a nice city mate. I was there in 2013 for the Austin City Limits festival, which is held every October.
The Cure, Depeche, Kings of Leon, Muse..and that was just the first 2 days. Day 3 got rained off due to flash flooding and we ended up 'missing' Lionel Richie!

Stayed with a friend at the end of Rainey Street, which is a street full of cool bars, restaurants, live music and stuff..Lots of local craft beer down that way if you're into that too.
I can also recommend checking out the bats of Congress Bridge, it's an amazing sight

Sixth Street is known as Dirty Sixth and has a reputation for getting a bit messy at times..though we didn't see that really.

Overall it's a laidback, cosmopolitan city with a nice vibe, climate and a good entertainment scene. Definitely worth a visit!
Austin on 15:58 - Jan 10 with 1261 viewsHoopstar

Was there last year for Christmas as sister in law lives there and all the American in-laws gathered.

Great city - just wandered around for a few days and came across loads of great little dive bars with great musicians playing. Definitely worth a visit - don't think I'd enjoy it in the summer though, warm enough in December!
Austin on 16:35 - Jan 10 with 1201 viewsted_hendrix

Austin on 00:27 - Jan 10 by thame_hoops

*My Mrs is from Texas, now living in England, no offence taken ha ha she is a personal trainer and a Pilates instructor*

BTW we knew Texas was big but strewth it is bloody huge.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Austin on 16:52 - Jan 10 with 1170 viewsJuzzie

I’ve only been to the US once, in 1989, and that was mainly two weeks in Austin (apart from a 4 day road trip there and back to just outside Des Moines about half way through) and was able to sample 6th Street before most people in tne UK had heard of it.
I had to take my driving license with me as the drinking age limit in the US is 21 and ive always looked younger than I am. Took ages to get into each bar as they were so intrigued by an English person being there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024