Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well Done Warburton. 08:59 - Feb 18 with 9935 viewsBostonR

You have to give him a huge amount of credit. I along with many others had my finger on the trigger for him to go. He has stuck to his principles, learnt some lessons in game management and put together a useful squad who can mix it up. Granted that Austin has been a talisman for us, but fair play to him, his coaches, Les and the Board for sticking with him.
Now, if he could only get Dykes and Bonne firing............
Well Done Warburton. on 11:13 - Feb 18 with 1844 viewsLeedsR

Is it about time for a few chants (albeit virtually) of “Mark Warburton’s Blue and White Army”???
Well Done Warburton. on 11:33 - Feb 18 with 1788 viewsRangersw12

Well Done Warburton. on 11:11 - Feb 18 by Maggsinho

Pretty sure we have an option to take Field permanently. Johansen and Charlie, not so.

Isn't Charlie out of contract?
Well Done Warburton. on 11:36 - Feb 18 with 1784 viewsQPR_John

Well Done Warburton. on 11:33 - Feb 18 by Rangersw12

Isn't Charlie out of contract?

West Brom have a one year option.
Well Done Warburton. on 11:58 - Feb 18 with 1747 viewsnix

Well Done Warburton. on 11:36 - Feb 18 by QPR_John

West Brom have a one year option.

I doubt they'll exercise it at £70k per week though.
Well Done Warburton. on 12:12 - Feb 18 with 1714 views2Thomas2Bowles

Well Done Warburton. on 11:09 - Feb 18 by PinnerPaul

If 5/6 is 'too early' to say he has turned it around then surely it was 'too early' to call for his sacking during the 'bad' run?

Equally if he was 'lucky' to get Austin, then he was equally 'unlucky' to get Dykes?

Both wrong descriptions in my view.

It IS valid to think we should be in a certain position after 46 games, based on the players we have, and then criticise when we don't get there.

Based on that criteria, where do you think this squad should be come May?

Where would we be if MW had not been so stubborn, poor selection, poor subs and poor game management?

You can't deny these are all true.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Well Done Warburton. on 12:39 - Feb 18 with 1679 viewsRangersw12

Well Done Warburton. on 12:12 - Feb 18 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Where would we be if MW had not been so stubborn, poor selection, poor subs and poor game management?

You can't deny these are all true.

Not all of that is down to Warburton, we played well or at least should of got more points in a lot of games at the start of the season, we created chances but just couldn't score, Bristol at home and Brentford away prime examples

No manager is perfect and Warburton has many faults but to not give him any credit for winning 5 out 6 is ridiculous

Were on a good run so just enjoy it FFS
Well Done Warburton. on 12:48 - Feb 18 with 1640 views2Thomas2Bowles

Well Done Warburton. on 12:39 - Feb 18 by Rangersw12

Not all of that is down to Warburton, we played well or at least should of got more points in a lot of games at the start of the season, we created chances but just couldn't score, Bristol at home and Brentford away prime examples

No manager is perfect and Warburton has many faults but to not give him any credit for winning 5 out 6 is ridiculous

Were on a good run so just enjoy it FFS

Give him credit

Ok his credit score is bang average at most, a bit below.

Needs much more in the bank.

Well Done Warburton. on 13:13 - Feb 18 with 1590 viewsterryb

Well Done Warburton. on 12:48 - Feb 18 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Give him credit

Please, just admit that you have no time for any manager of Queens Park Rangers other than Ian Holloway.

I'm sure you were one of the members of this board that expected us to be relegated this season & yet you give no credit for avoiding that. Under MW we are a better TEAM than I have seen for many a season & the togetherness is far stronger than IH & MB achieved.
Login to get fewer ads

Well Done Warburton. on 13:13 - Feb 18 with 1590 viewsMatch82

Give him credit

I think perhaps you are comparing him to the likes of Ferguson, Klopp etc rather than the likes of McClaren, JFH etc

Look at our last ten managers and tell me how many of those did a better job than Warburton and bear in mind how much money he has had to spend vs the rest of them.
Well Done Warburton. on 13:25 - Feb 18 with 1555 views2Thomas2Bowles

Well Done Warburton. on 13:13 - Feb 18 by Match82

I think perhaps you are comparing him to the likes of Ferguson, Klopp etc rather than the likes of McClaren, JFH etc

Look at our last ten managers and tell me how many of those did a better job than Warburton and bear in mind how much money he has had to spend vs the rest of them.

Nope I'm not comparing him with any manager, no one really does that, it's stupid.

It's what I see and judge by his actions, his alone.

I'm not impressed, with everything taken into consideration at the club, he is just very average at most.

Hard but fair.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 13:26]

Well Done Warburton. on 13:41 - Feb 18 with 1522 viewsdm97

Well Done Warburton. on 13:25 - Feb 18 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Nope I'm not comparing him with any manager, no one really does that, it's stupid.

I'm not impressed, with everything taken into consideration at the club, he is just very average at most.

Hard but fair.

"no one really does that"

Please do explain why Warnock's results at M'borough/the 10-11 year is brought up every time we lose, and how if Neil were in charge we'd be Burnley 2.0?
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 13:47]
Well Done Warburton. on 13:48 - Feb 18 with 1492 views2Thomas2Bowles

Well Done Warburton. on 13:41 - Feb 18 by dm97

"no one really does that"

Please do explain why Warnock's results at M'borough/the 10-11 year is brought up every time we lose, and how if Neil were in charge we'd be Burnley 2.0?
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 13:47]

Because peps are stupid innit.
Is it what you do...
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 13:50]

Well Done Warburton. on 13:49 - Feb 18 with 1494 viewsPBLOCK

Well Done Warburton. on 11:58 - Feb 18 by nix

I doubt they'll exercise it at £70k per week though.

You might well be right at that level of cash

There will be many other clubs that would be interested in him, and would be able to offer significantly more than we probably can.

It’s great to see him back though and if it’s short term then so be it.

Would have loved to have been there when he scored last night, place would have gone nuts
Well Done Warburton. on 13:49 - Feb 18 with 1485 viewsMyke

Well Done Warburton. on 10:26 - Feb 18 by gazza1

1-I dont know the remit he was given when he took the job so I cant really comment on that.
2 -I am sure that MW and his team do look at much detail why the winless streak went on for so long but if you analysis the matches and results, etc then I don't think we got much 'rub of the green' and should have won more of them the way we played, against so called top sides....Swansea, B'mouth, Reading, Norwich and Bristol at that time. Wycombe is another game where we should have secured 3 points. The main issue was we was not creating good chances and when we did we didn't take the opportunity.
3 - You can change tactics, formations, players, whatever but if you don't take your chances then you are not going to win. We missed massive chances at Norwich & B'mouth - both going up I would expect - and Millwall.
4 - I agreed, somewhat, re playing the same players but I would suggest that the 2 x full backs changed often, Ball was in/out. Not sure with the squad we have how many more changes can be expected. Many of them pick themselves basically.
5 - My view is the big change the way we play is since Carroll got injured.....we no longer 'fanny' with the ball in the midfield, passing sideways, little passes here and there, getting it back, etc, etc. We now have a much more positive midfield who runs much more, tackles a lot more and works more, crosses more. Not blaming it all on Carroll but he was a major influence in midfield.
6 - The difficulty now is 'kicking on'....it isn't going to be easy but I have said many times I expect a top ten finish with MW leading us all the way.

Well, that is my view anyways.....I'm glass 'half full' and very pleased how we are doing as a Club.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 10:28]

1 I think the remit was pretty universally known, reduce the wage bill, develop kids etc
2 I didn't suggest they weren't looking at it, just that they were not pro-active about solving it. You can talk about 'the rub of the green' and certainly we had unlucky moments (Reading as a good an example as any), but as the quote goes, 'the harder I work, the luckier i get'. In other words, if you are relying on good fortune to carry you through, it'll be a long wait
3 Yes but those teams had big chances too. Everyone talks about BOS's sitter at the end of the game v Norwich, but they could have been three up at half-time
4 As I said originally, Warburton had a fairly limited pick But rotating Kane and Kakay and making the same substitutions at exactly the same time in EVERY game, or removing Chair and Carroll at the same time(which he did more than once) and then wondering why we had no creativity in mid-field, doesn't exactly smack of great tactical astuteness
5 Which brings me neatly onto Carroll. By far our most creative mid-fielder and far from 'fannying about, was always looking for a forward pass. Unfortunately , there were often few or no options in front of him and he had to go sideways to retain possesion. Ironically, with Austin in front of him and the mobility of Johansun beside him, he would thrive in current side and would create a lot more chances than he he could when he was playing.
6 Well I predicted sixty points before we played Brentford, so it should be sixty three now! Definitely enough for a top-half finish - we shall see.
Well Done Warburton. on 13:59 - Feb 18 with 1459 viewsAntti_Heinola

Well Done Warburton. on 13:49 - Feb 18 by Myke

1 I think the remit was pretty universally known, reduce the wage bill, develop kids etc
2 I didn't suggest they weren't looking at it, just that they were not pro-active about solving it. You can talk about 'the rub of the green' and certainly we had unlucky moments (Reading as a good an example as any), but as the quote goes, 'the harder I work, the luckier i get'. In other words, if you are relying on good fortune to carry you through, it'll be a long wait
3 Yes but those teams had big chances too. Everyone talks about BOS's sitter at the end of the game v Norwich, but they could have been three up at half-time
4 As I said originally, Warburton had a fairly limited pick But rotating Kane and Kakay and making the same substitutions at exactly the same time in EVERY game, or removing Chair and Carroll at the same time(which he did more than once) and then wondering why we had no creativity in mid-field, doesn't exactly smack of great tactical astuteness
5 Which brings me neatly onto Carroll. By far our most creative mid-fielder and far from 'fannying about, was always looking for a forward pass. Unfortunately , there were often few or no options in front of him and he had to go sideways to retain possesion. Ironically, with Austin in front of him and the mobility of Johansun beside him, he would thrive in current side and would create a lot more chances than he he could when he was playing.
6 Well I predicted sixty points before we played Brentford, so it should be sixty three now! Definitely enough for a top-half finish - we shall see.

Agree with a lot of that, but point 4 i found hard to take when I saw it on here. Earlier in the season, i think it was v Rotherham, MW took off Cameron to try and get us to keep possession better and was CRUCIFIED for his 'lack of game management' and how 'anyone can see they were going to do an aerial bombardment' etc etc.
2 things, one we found out later that Cameron was injured. Two, when he took off smaller players in similar circumstances he was crucified again.
I actually think all those criticisms had at least some validity, but such things tend to be dictated by the end result. I'd argue that if you make certain changes and lose a game, it doesn't necessarily mean they were the wrong changes to make. And the same applies the opposite way too.

Bare bones.

Well Done Warburton. on 14:00 - Feb 18 with 1459 viewsridethewave

Give him credit

Can't blame Warburton for our lack of converting chances. The real difference has been that we are now scoring goals, which is in no small part due to the addition of Austin and yes, the change in formation. We were so often lamenting the fact that we were playing well but not picking up results during our bad run. I'm afraid our summer signing of Dykes looks an extremely poor one. Bonne has not yet had the game time to judge.
Well Done Warburton. on 14:05 - Feb 18 with 1425 views2Thomas2Bowles

Well Done Warburton. on 14:00 - Feb 18 by ridethewave

Can't blame Warburton for our lack of converting chances. The real difference has been that we are now scoring goals, which is in no small part due to the addition of Austin and yes, the change in formation. We were so often lamenting the fact that we were playing well but not picking up results during our bad run. I'm afraid our summer signing of Dykes looks an extremely poor one. Bonne has not yet had the game time to judge.

Well I do agree to a point but what he has control of, he has not been good at.

Dykes, again I agree, we are starting a man down when he starts.

Well Done Warburton. on 14:14 - Feb 18 with 1410 viewsHunterhoop

Huge credit to Warburton for turning things around after that dreadful run.

However, I disagree with the OP; he hasn’t achieved it by sticking to his guns at all. He’s completely changed approach! You can argue that warrants even more praise. Recognising your mistakes and/or taking on board valid criticisms (vs keyboard warriors ) and changing things as a result is great.

We have changed from 4231 to this 3412, moving to a 343 in the second half yesterday.
We have brought in experienced players who aren’t just young lads or pretty passing types: Austin, Johansson, Field,
We clearly changed style; our possession % is way lower than earlier in the season, but we’re clear our lines better and are getting the ball forward quicker.

In short, we’re way more pragmatic, which is great. Well done to Warburton for changing, not for sticking to his guns.

I still think some of our attacking play can be sharper and more like earlier in the system and would be interested in seeing how 343 could work against Bournemouth, with Willock and Chair either side of Austin, and Field in for Ball. Out of possession it can easily revert to a 541, but in possession it would give us more ball players.

Promising.
Well Done Warburton. on 14:21 - Feb 18 with 1384 viewsLazyFan

Warbs has made mistakes. But what I see that is different from what I hear other fans say about him is that he now makes changes. He adapts to fix his mistakes, which overall means QPR improves and goes forward despite having to sell our top players. For example, he changed formation (which all other fans said he never does), he changed goalies (which most managers never do), he has now changed Dykes role.

Before Dykes was the goal scorer, now they are coaching Dykes to be the target man and I am surprised but it's working. He is winning lots of headers and his hold up play was erratic but is now very slowly improving. This means to me, they shall develop him here and if we manage our expectations as fans that he's now a target man rather than a striker, we can see he won't be another Washout like Connor.

This then means we still need a goal scorer. We have Austin, but he's not a long term solution. Maybe they are thinking of training Willock into that role or Kelman comes good. But Dykes is not that person it's clear, but he still could be a useful target man. We only can see this due to Eustice and Warbs coaching him and also playing him in that role.

Warbs also loved Cameron from mid to defence as it was not working, he has also recruited a full spine in the loan market. 2 of which have already worked out very well and the third has yet to play. Finally he has also used the loan market to test out a future replacement for Cameron in Field. This is the way to use the loan market along with some stop gaps as we were in trouble and needed a change. Which credit to Warbs, Eustice, Evil Les and Hoos we have done.

If Warbs keeps inspecting and adapting like this, then we shall be turning the whole past mess around into a massively stable sustainable future on the pitch.

zzzzzzzzzz

Well Done Warburton. on 14:24 - Feb 18 with 1367 viewsMyke

Well Done Warburton. on 13:59 - Feb 18 by Antti_Heinola

Agree with a lot of that, but point 4 i found hard to take when I saw it on here. Earlier in the season, i think it was v Rotherham, MW took off Cameron to try and get us to keep possession better and was CRUCIFIED for his 'lack of game management' and how 'anyone can see they were going to do an aerial bombardment' etc etc.
2 things, one we found out later that Cameron was injured. Two, when he took off smaller players in similar circumstances he was crucified again.
I actually think all those criticisms had at least some validity, but such things tend to be dictated by the end result. I'd argue that if you make certain changes and lose a game, it doesn't necessarily mean they were the wrong changes to make. And the same applies the opposite way too.

Agree with that Antti. I suppose my point refers to the somewhat baffling decision to remove Chair and Carroll simultaneously v Millwall (although he did it again, I can't remember who against), at a time when we had a chance of winning it and ended up hanging on for dear life for a draw. Now we had lost the previous couple, so I got the game management in one way, but it smacked of desperation.
But you are right, results don't necessarily correlate to managerial decisions made during a game.
Well Done Warburton. on 14:29 - Feb 18 with 1355 viewsnix

'I still think some of our attacking play can be sharper and more like earlier in the system and would be interested in seeing how 343 could work against Bournemouth, with Willock and Chair either side of Austin, and Field in for Ball. Out of possession it can easily revert to a 541, but in possession it would give us more ball players. '

Part of the lesser fluidity though I think is down to teams changing tactics against us. Earlier in the season, they could take a gamble against us and let us play in front of the defence, knowing we were a bit toothless up front. When Charlie came they have changed tack and since Derby have been adopting the high press that is pretty successful against us. The only team that mystifyingly didn't do that was Watford, hence Kane having an acre of space every time to make his crosses, is why we looked pretty creative in that game.

For this reason, and because we've got some enforcers in the team now, particularly Johansen, we're having to win ugly a bit. Brentford for all their pretty reputation, closed us down tightly, just allowing us space in our goal third. So we couldn't play around them, and we played over them a bit. It was a good move to counter their tactics.
Well Done Warburton. on 15:03 - Feb 18 with 1311 viewsChrisNW6

Since Holloway 2001-2006 we have had 25 managerial changes and apart from Warnock 2010-12, I think Warburton has been the best appointment.

I like his brand of football and working within the financial constraints. Even if the club was relegated I would stick with him.

There is a lot of good work being done at the club right now and Warburton deserves recognition for his part.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 15:31]
Well Done Warburton. on 15:08 - Feb 18 with 1297 viewssimmo

Well Done Warburton. on 13:25 - Feb 18 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Hard but fair.

"he is just very average at most."

So are we

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Well Done Warburton. on 15:31 - Feb 18 with 1241 viewskensalriser

No doubt we've improved of late, but we weren't as bad as was made out during the last barren spell and we aren't as good now as recent results might suggest. It's normal that results for most sides are unevenly distributed through the season, we've all been following football long enough to know that. I wouldn't underestimate the relative benefit of playing fewer matches this year, too. Things are going to get tougher as fixture congestion gets under way.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Well Done Warburton. on 15:45 - Feb 18 with 1212 viewsThrowACherry

Well Done Warburton. on 09:54 - Feb 18 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Turned things around.
For how long?

A new Warburton?
Going to admit he was wrong?

I did not get it wrong calling him out and it's too early to say if he really has turned things around.

I dislike him but I don't hate him like I do Celery

Better Yes but the jury is still out.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 10:01]

Cheer up
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024