Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well Done Warburton. 08:59 - Feb 18 with 9933 viewsBostonR

You have to give him a huge amount of credit. I along with many others had my finger on the trigger for him to go. He has stuck to his principles, learnt some lessons in game management and put together a useful squad who can mix it up. Granted that Austin has been a talisman for us, but fair play to him, his coaches, Les and the Board for sticking with him.
Now, if he could only get Dykes and Bonne firing............
Well Done Warburton. on 15:57 - Feb 18 with 1916 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Well Done Warburton. on 15:03 - Feb 18 by ChrisNW6

Since Holloway 2001-2006 we have had 25 managerial changes and apart from Warnock 2010-12, I think Warburton has been the best appointment.

I like his brand of football and working within the financial constraints. Even if the club was relegated I would stick with him.

There is a lot of good work being done at the club right now and Warburton deserves recognition for his part.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 15:31]

Agreed. This isn't off the back of me wallowing in the afterglow of last night either, for the most part I've thoroughly enjoyed him at the helm from day one. It HAS been fine margins, it HAS been frustrating at times and ok there's been a few abominations (Barnsley and Huddersfield away spring to mind) but knowing we're going to turn up and compete, be organised, give it a go and play attractive football all at the same time brings a smile to my face and is a million miles away from the dross served up under IH, JFH and Hair Island. Long may it continue.
Well Done Warburton. on 15:59 - Feb 18 with 1903 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Well Done Warburton. on 14:14 - Feb 18 by Hunterhoop

Huge credit to Warburton for turning things around after that dreadful run.

However, I disagree with the OP; he hasn’t achieved it by sticking to his guns at all. He’s completely changed approach! You can argue that warrants even more praise. Recognising your mistakes and/or taking on board valid criticisms (vs keyboard warriors ) and changing things as a result is great.

We have changed from 4231 to this 3412, moving to a 343 in the second half yesterday.
We have brought in experienced players who aren’t just young lads or pretty passing types: Austin, Johansson, Field,
We clearly changed style; our possession % is way lower than earlier in the season, but we’re clear our lines better and are getting the ball forward quicker.

In short, we’re way more pragmatic, which is great. Well done to Warburton for changing, not for sticking to his guns.

I still think some of our attacking play can be sharper and more like earlier in the system and would be interested in seeing how 343 could work against Bournemouth, with Willock and Chair either side of Austin, and Field in for Ball. Out of possession it can easily revert to a 541, but in possession it would give us more ball players.

Promising.

Spot on Hunter. Whilst credit is most certainly due, the OP is wrong to suggest that MW stuck to his principles. He changed formation, adopted a more pragmatic approach (something that many of us were calling for when the defence was leaking goals) and brought in new personnel that added steel, guile, quality and experience to the team. Without these changes I'd venture that we'd still be struggling.

That being said, it's to MW's credit that he took the constructive criticism on board and made the necessary changes. No longer is he insisting on doing plan A better, he now has a plan B and C, and it's working. The coaching staff deserve credit for improving certain players such as Barbet, Willock, Wallace and Kane. If they can get Bonne and Dykes firing that'll make a real difference as Austin can't shoulder striking duties alone. The board also deserve some credit for sanctioning the January arrivals in spite of the financial pressures posed by Covid-19.

With so many fixtures to come in a short space of time It'll be interesting to see whether the team can maintain current levels. Decent recruitment in the summer will also be key as the team is once again dependent on loans that may not be at the club next season.
Well Done Warburton. on 16:28 - Feb 18 with 1840 viewsPinnerPaul

Well Done Warburton. on 12:12 - Feb 18 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Where would we be if MW had not been so stubborn, poor selection, poor subs and poor game management?

You can't deny these are all true.

Well I certainly can deny all those AND you haven't answered my question!
Well Done Warburton. on 17:12 - Feb 18 with 1785 viewsNorthantsHoop

He was the right appointment in May 2019, my opinion has not changed. I expect he will have to continue with a mix of home grown talent, inexpensive signings and sensible loan deals. On the Dykes front, not sure he is good enough, hope to be proved wrong but he just does not have a strikers instinct in the box and has a poor touch, Bonne is improving and has scored some vital goals, think he will be the better signing. I sort of compare Dykes to Seb Poulter when he joined the club he struggled and was all over the place, although Poulter started to improve and by his 2nd season was scoring some vital goals.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 17:13]
Well Done Warburton. on 17:26 - Feb 18 with 1720 views2Thomas2Bowles

Well Done Warburton. on 15:45 - Feb 18 by ThrowACherry

Cheer up

Feck me It speaks.
Well done on your first ever post and getting past being a silent voter.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Well Done Warburton. on 17:53 - Feb 18 with 1697 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Well Done Warburton. on 12:12 - Feb 18 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Where would we be if MW had not been so stubborn, poor selection, poor subs and poor game management?

You can't deny these are all true.

Yes, I would deny those are true also.

As far as I am concerned your opinions are total bollox.
Well Done Warburton. on 17:57 - Feb 18 with 1681 viewssimmo

Well Done Warburton. on 17:26 - Feb 18 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Feck me It speaks.
Well done on your first ever post and getting past being a silent voter.

Such an unnecessary level of passive aggression... People can interact with this forum however they please - even if it's 'silent voting'

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Well Done Warburton. on 18:48 - Feb 18 with 1625 viewsBurnleyhoop

We were poor and lacking belief and resilience around Christmas, and Warburton was bang in trouble. The summer recruitment wasn’t working out at all, but “fortunately” for him the turning point came with the injury to LTC and the BOS contract admission. This gave him the opportunity to make the necessary loan deals which have proven startlingly effective. To have secured the services of Austin and Johansen ( along with the change to a back three), galvanised us completely.
The addition of Field may further enhance our midfield grit along with the eventual appearance of Wijs.
We now look to have a good balance of experience and players still to develop their game, although Dykes still looks a long way off the finished article, but we need to give him time.
Fair play to the management team, they have repaired the mistakes of the summer window with the recruitment made in the winter one, albeit due to the personal misfortune of LTC , Amos and greed of BOS.
Login to get fewer ads

Well Done Warburton. on 19:07 - Feb 18 with 1587 views2Thomas2Bowles

Well Done Warburton. on 17:53 - Feb 18 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Yes, I would deny those are true also.

As far as I am concerned your opinions are total bollox.

Well you live in denial then

It's not just my opinion, many on here have said the same about MW

just because results have been better of late does not mean his failures never happened.

But you're not interested in that opinion mine or from others,

3 monkeys

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Well Done Warburton. on 19:15 - Feb 18 with 1593 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I think 2T2B is correct to say that Warburton's game management and subs were often under scrutiny, and with some justification imo.

But we've been good no for nearly two months, I would say since the Swansea game or certainly since the Norwich game, so I think Warburton deserved huge credit for that.

I also think that last season was hugely enjoyable and a serious achievement and so much of the credit for that goes to Warburton.

But from March to December 2020 was certainly poor, very poor at times.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Well Done Warburton. on 19:25 - Feb 18 with 1577 viewsChrisNW6

Well Done Warburton. on 15:59 - Feb 18 by Benny_the_Ball

Spot on Hunter. Whilst credit is most certainly due, the OP is wrong to suggest that MW stuck to his principles. He changed formation, adopted a more pragmatic approach (something that many of us were calling for when the defence was leaking goals) and brought in new personnel that added steel, guile, quality and experience to the team. Without these changes I'd venture that we'd still be struggling.

That being said, it's to MW's credit that he took the constructive criticism on board and made the necessary changes. No longer is he insisting on doing plan A better, he now has a plan B and C, and it's working. The coaching staff deserve credit for improving certain players such as Barbet, Willock, Wallace and Kane. If they can get Bonne and Dykes firing that'll make a real difference as Austin can't shoulder striking duties alone. The board also deserve some credit for sanctioning the January arrivals in spite of the financial pressures posed by Covid-19.

With so many fixtures to come in a short space of time It'll be interesting to see whether the team can maintain current levels. Decent recruitment in the summer will also be key as the team is once again dependent on loans that may not be at the club next season.

Really glad MW has taken on-board constructive criticism, what's his username and favourite cheese 🧀 😀
Well Done Warburton. on 21:03 - Feb 18 with 1478 viewsswisscottage

Well Done Warburton. on 19:15 - Feb 18 by BrianMcCarthy

I think 2T2B is correct to say that Warburton's game management and subs were often under scrutiny, and with some justification imo.

But we've been good no for nearly two months, I would say since the Swansea game or certainly since the Norwich game, so I think Warburton deserved huge credit for that.

I also think that last season was hugely enjoyable and a serious achievement and so much of the credit for that goes to Warburton.

But from March to December 2020 was certainly poor, very poor at times.

I don't think anyone can say his substitutions have been poor in recent weeks.

Game changing is the phrase that comes to mind.

I just think he was working with what he had.

People criticise him for not changing earlier, but i honestly don't think it would have made a blind bit of difference because regardless of the chances we were creating before he changed, and we were creating enough to win games, the strikers we had were not putting it in the back of the net.

We are creating fewer chances now than we were in December and November, but we're putting a much higher percentage away.

As I posted back in January, what we had been missing is time on the training pitch, that, together with Austin and Johannsen has helped to turn things around, and I believe Warburton deserves credit for that.

There's no point arguing the toss with some on here though, because he could get us in the playoffs this season and they woudln't give him an ounce of credit.
Well Done Warburton. on 21:24 - Feb 18 with 1453 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well Done Warburton. on 21:03 - Feb 18 by swisscottage

I don't think anyone can say his substitutions have been poor in recent weeks.

Game changing is the phrase that comes to mind.

I just think he was working with what he had.

People criticise him for not changing earlier, but i honestly don't think it would have made a blind bit of difference because regardless of the chances we were creating before he changed, and we were creating enough to win games, the strikers we had were not putting it in the back of the net.

We are creating fewer chances now than we were in December and November, but we're putting a much higher percentage away.

As I posted back in January, what we had been missing is time on the training pitch, that, together with Austin and Johannsen has helped to turn things around, and I believe Warburton deserves credit for that.

There's no point arguing the toss with some on here though, because he could get us in the playoffs this season and they woudln't give him an ounce of credit.

"I don't think anyone can say his substitutions have been poor in recent weeks.

Game changing is the phrase that comes to mind."

Agreed.

"I just think he was working with what he had."

Yes, and also managing fatigue/injuries. But sometimes I thought they were structurally poor, often resulting in losing midfield.

Well Done Warburton. on 21:31 - Feb 18 with 1442 viewsWestbourneR

Well Done Warburton. on 15:03 - Feb 18 by ChrisNW6

Since Holloway 2001-2006 we have had 25 managerial changes and apart from Warnock 2010-12, I think Warburton has been the best appointment.

I like his brand of football and working within the financial constraints. Even if the club was relegated I would stick with him.

There is a lot of good work being done at the club right now and Warburton deserves recognition for his part.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 15:31]

Agree with this.

2T2B it's getting a bit sad, Ollie didn't even last at Grimsby. Let it go.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Well Done Warburton. on 22:17 - Feb 18 with 1394 viewsRog

I think the improvement in our form has coincided with the recent retirement of his coolbox seat.
Well Done Warburton. on 22:47 - Feb 18 with 1356 viewskensalriser

Well Done Warburton. on 22:17 - Feb 18 by Rog

I think the improvement in our form has coincided with the recent retirement of his coolbox seat.

Well, no one does their best work with a cold arse.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Well Done Warburton. on 22:52 - Feb 18 with 1335 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well Done Warburton. on 22:47 - Feb 18 by kensalriser

Well, no one does their best work with a cold arse.

Unless, as Tom Waits pointed out, they're a welldigger.

Well Done Warburton. on 09:19 - Feb 19 with 1209 viewsThe_Beast1976

Doing a very good job. To be honest in the circumstances he probably always has been, despite the blips here and there.
Well Done Warburton. on 10:21 - Feb 19 with 1143 viewsdaveB

I do think one of the problems Warburton has had is rotating the squad and coping with a heavy schedule, we saw a bit last season when we had a mad months in November/December of games every few minutes the results dropped and was the same this season. Now we are back in the mad play every 3 days routine he is going to need to make changes and keep things fresh.

Saturday will be an interesting one as a lot of emotional energy was put into that game the other night, do you go with the same side or make one or 2 changes.
Well Done Warburton. on 10:42 - Feb 19 with 1126 viewsAntti_Heinola

I have zero problem with criticism of any manager. All managers, especially below so-called 'elite' coaches, will make tons of mistakes. It is unavoidable, and we can all be brilliant at pointing them out (although as fans we never have full facts - we don't see training, we don't know the players, as Ned pointed out to Clive in the pod, fans had no idea how much pain Zamora was in etc) and sometimes fans as a whole are definitely right - there will be players we think should play who don't, then a new manager comes in and plays him and we're vndicated.

BUT I stick to my point I made three months ago. A bad patch of form should not result in the sack and most managers are, IMO, fired too quickly. Not all of course. But a lot. The answer isn't always to change the manager. In this case, keeping faith, giving time, adding some new players (there seems to be a slight narrative from some that signing players this Jan has been almost like cheating, which is odd) has given us results. The streak will not last, I expect us to still struggle this season and lose plenty more, but it's a lesson I think not to write managers off so quickly.

Bare bones.

Well Done Warburton. on 10:50 - Feb 19 with 1119 viewsnix

Well Done Warburton. on 10:21 - Feb 19 by daveB

I do think one of the problems Warburton has had is rotating the squad and coping with a heavy schedule, we saw a bit last season when we had a mad months in November/December of games every few minutes the results dropped and was the same this season. Now we are back in the mad play every 3 days routine he is going to need to make changes and keep things fresh.

Saturday will be an interesting one as a lot of emotional energy was put into that game the other night, do you go with the same side or make one or 2 changes.

I think that's true Dave, he had to do a lot of rotations at the time. But I think it should be a bit easier now because more of the team are more experienced and therefore more accustomed to slotting in with different teammates, formations etc. Also the squad is much more settled than after the summer, so they've already had time on the training pitch, getting to know each other etc. After the summer some of them had barely had time to say hi when they were thrown into the team and with not much training time in between to bond.

So if for instance de Wijs comes in occasionally for Geoff, Dickie and Joann already know each other's play, so it's quite easy to say to him, this is your role and stay in that position, without having to school all three of them into a style of play.
Well Done Warburton. on 11:57 - Feb 19 with 1066 viewsMyke

Well Done Warburton. on 10:50 - Feb 19 by nix

I think that's true Dave, he had to do a lot of rotations at the time. But I think it should be a bit easier now because more of the team are more experienced and therefore more accustomed to slotting in with different teammates, formations etc. Also the squad is much more settled than after the summer, so they've already had time on the training pitch, getting to know each other etc. After the summer some of them had barely had time to say hi when they were thrown into the team and with not much training time in between to bond.

So if for instance de Wijs comes in occasionally for Geoff, Dickie and Joann already know each other's play, so it's quite easy to say to him, this is your role and stay in that position, without having to school all three of them into a style of play.

Good post Nix and another positive factor is the levels of fitness is increasing, due to their time on the training pitch. Austin is a good example, happy to come off after an hour v Luton, vexed at coming off after 80 against Watford. Against Brentford, it would be a brave man that would have substituted him!
Well Done Warburton. on 12:12 - Feb 19 with 1040 viewsEsox_Lucius

Due to the amount of money that Colin had at his disposal to get promoted that season I would put Warburton as our third best manager in my time after Venables & Stock. Possibly tied with Jago.

The grass is always greener.

Well Done Warburton. on 12:15 - Feb 19 with 1034 viewsrobith

Is anyone else still buzzing from Wednesday? It's proper made my week
Well Done Warburton. on 12:26 - Feb 19 with 1022 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well Done Warburton. on 12:15 - Feb 19 by robith

Is anyone else still buzzing from Wednesday? It's proper made my week

Ya, I am.
I love comeback wins.
This one was a bit special because while we didn't play very well we are now capable of winning without being at our peak. And that's a lovely feeling.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024