Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Discussion 10:29 - Feb 25 with 3970 viewsDubaiR

Was having this chat with my Dad last night. He thinks Dykes will never be good enough at this level.

I made the point that he was playing Queen of the South a couple of seasons ago and had no real football background.

Vardy's first season at Leicester he got 4 goals (one less than Dykes) had a good second season then only got 5 in 34 in his 3rd. From season 4 onwards he kicked on.

I am not saying Dykes will be the next Vardy very different players. He could yet be another conor washington but I think we need patience before we know.

Even Les only got 2 and 8 in his first two proper seasons with us.
Discussion on 13:46 - Feb 25 with 993 viewsMyke

Discussion on 11:14 - Feb 25 by davman

I think that he has been shocking to date (some of you may have noticed that). There may be mitigating circumstances, but I can't see how anyone can disagree. No goal since November, one goal from open play all season pretty good evidence for this view.

There certainly have been glimpses. That first chance last night for example, fantastic run, fantastic first touch, good hit, good save. And there were a number of good first touch passes. Overall, I think it was one of his better games.

However, the second chance was a horrible, horrible miss. He snatched at it because he has no confidence at the moment.

Is there something there? Maybe. Is there enough? That is the question...

I was concerned after the Brentford game, but was happier with him last night, at least he looked like scoring. I wouldn't say he snatched at the second chance. if he had blazed it high and wide, or hammered it straight at the keeper then yeah that would indicate a lack of confidence. But he tried a very cute lob while on the run,which is a very difficult skill. He got the trajectory spot on, but just caught it too much to the side of his boot, instead of flush. But, same as Bonne at the weekend, at least he was getting into goal-scoring positions, which he hadn't done for a while. For me, his best moment came in the second half, when a lovely first time flick around the corner sent Chair (I think) away. The man needs a goal or two, he at least looked like it might happen last night.
Discussion on 13:50 - Feb 25 with 985 viewsridethewave

What some are saying regarding giving him more time and seeing how he develops next season may well be the best option for Dykes. The worry is though with his apparent lack of any goal threat whatsoever it leaves the club in a terrible situation going into next season, with not one single goal scorer on their books. We cannot go into the next season just blindly hoping that Dykes can suddenly start scoring goals. It was desperately important for the team that one of Dykes or Bonne was able to push on and demonstrate some talent this year.
Discussion on 15:24 - Feb 25 with 903 viewskensalriser

Scapegoat of the season latest odds:

Dykes 4/5 fav
Kane 2/1
Chair 9/1 outsider

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Discussion on 15:38 - Feb 25 with 881 viewsqprrunner

Discussion on 12:00 - Feb 25 by DannyPaddox

Never mind Conor Washington’s immunity from ridicule what about Idrissa Sylla. The crowd got on his back from day one because apparently he didn’t run around enough, despite the fact he regularly put the ball in the net. You want to see people run around watch the track events in the athletics. Like all of us I want to see Dykes succeed. My instinct however says he’s not a goalscorer. I sincerely hope I’m wrong and the Vardy, Sir Les, Thierry Henry slow-starter theory applies here too.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 12:09]

Never mind Sylla, Eze used to get crucified on here and at games for not running around enough/winning headers. Every fan base has a bunch of idiots and were no different.
Discussion on 15:38 - Feb 25 with 863 views2Thomas2Bowles

Discussion on 15:24 - Feb 25 by kensalriser

Dykes 4/5 fav
Kane 2/1
Chair 9/1 outsider

Scapegoating is when people unfairly blame a person or a group of people for something when in fact the blame lies elsewhere.

I don't see him being blamed for much, a few missed chances maybe and lack of goals other than pens and one in play.

Fair assessment that it's a poor return with half the season gone.

So it must be someone else who is to blame and the Scapegoat, who would that be?

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Discussion on 15:39 - Feb 25 with 865 viewsbakerloo8

Discussion on 15:24 - Feb 25 by kensalriser

Dykes 4/5 fav
Kane 2/1
Chair 9/1 outsider

Why does anyone have to be a scapegoat? Looks like a sound discussion about a player rather than any scapegoating.

We are 10-10-10 this season which means we've been as good as we have been bad this season, are we only allowed to discuss how good Dieng/Dickie/Barbet are?
Discussion on 15:47 - Feb 25 with 844 views2Thomas2Bowles

Discussion on 15:39 - Feb 25 by bakerloo8

Why does anyone have to be a scapegoat? Looks like a sound discussion about a player rather than any scapegoating.

We are 10-10-10 this season which means we've been as good as we have been bad this season, are we only allowed to discuss how good Dieng/Dickie/Barbet are?

kensalriser

Likes a victim, like most liberal luvvies.

Discussion on 16:16 - Feb 25 with 814 viewskensalriser

Humourless crowd today.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Discussion on 16:30 - Feb 25 with 788 viewsVancouverHoop

Our fans selective persecution does baffle me. We give Washington a 2 year pass but this guy gets it after half a season??

If memory serves Washington scored a couple of goals for us early on which bought him some cred. In that respect he was treated more like Bonne is now than Dykes. Conor wasn't able to build on that though, and fans were all over him by the time he left.
Discussion on 16:34 - Feb 25 with 762 views2Thomas2Bowles

Discussion on 16:16 - Feb 25 by kensalriser

Humourless crowd today.

Don't give up the day job

Discussion on 17:07 - Feb 25 with 694 viewsSimplyNico

Nakhi Wells scored 7 in 40 games in his first season. He was then put up for canonisation in his second season. LD could finish with more than Nakhi for his first season.
Mind you, Nakhi's confidence was shot to bits at the end of his first season.

MW obviously thinks LD is adding something.
Discussion on 17:55 - Feb 25 with 650 viewsR_from_afar

Dykes brings others into play by being a focal point for long balls forward. He's a targetman and battles hard, especially in the air, and lays the ball off for others. That makes him a great foil for Austin. He does a lot of the work to create chances for Sir Charlie (or can we only have one Sir at the club?)

I have faith in Dykes, but clearly, he needs to be getting some goals too. I thought he was unlucky with that first chance yesterday, he controlled the ball well and then hit a hard and low shot which was going to squeeze into the corner until the 'keeper's leg saved it.

Honest question: Can anyone else in our squad play that targetman role as well as him as of now? I don't think Mac Bonne can, but what do you think?

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Discussion on 18:14 - Feb 25 with 628 viewssimmo

Discussion on 16:30 - Feb 25 by VancouverHoop

Our fans selective persecution does baffle me. We give Washington a 2 year pass but this guy gets it after half a season??

If memory serves Washington scored a couple of goals for us early on which bought him some cred. In that respect he was treated more like Bonne is now than Dykes. Conor wasn't able to build on that though, and fans were all over him by the time he left.

Possibly, but Dykes dispatched penalties pretty emphatically so could have been given the same courtesy.

Ultimately I think it's more that we got burnt with Washington and now fans are a lot quicker to write off a prospect rather than wait and see if they come good, which Conor never did.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Discussion on 08:02 - Feb 26 with 505 viewsjoe90

What sticks out for me about Dykes is his positioning. It's hard to tell when watching on the computer, but the impression I get is that he doesn't in the right positions, he doesn't seem to have that strikers instinct. It stands to reason, the more chances you have the more likely you are to score. Would be interesting to see a heat map.

I think a lot of our problems have been small issues that could be coached and I think it's no different with Dykes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024