Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup 21:55 - Mar 11 with 2179 viewsPeterHucker

I wrote this about how I experienced that day.
The only time in my life I've attempted to not find out the QPR score.

https://trustthewizards.com/2021/03/11/31-years-ago-today-billy-braggs-unhelpful
31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 22:33 - Mar 11 with 2089 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cracking article, Hucker.

Great personal story (I'm very envious) but also so much Rangers history. We were on a great run under Howe at that time, something like 1 or 2 defeats in 18 or 20. We lacked depth but we were a coming force.

I never knew that Barnes supported Rangers as a kid. I'd heard that he was offered a trial and stayed with us for a while, but never knew he was a fan.

I agree with you about Seaman, he never did get the free kicks right while playing for us. Never on his toes, and always took a few small steps before launching himself.

I remember the euphoria afterwards, it was epic in the pubs afterwards and on the trains home all we seemed to bump into was Raners, everyone ecstatic. We really did think we'd do them up at Anfield. Sadly, I remember very little about the replay or the trip. Probably a penalty, or some such shít?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 23:02 - Mar 11 with 2047 viewsMrSheen

First and only time I was on a motorbike. My brother in law was a courier and an armchair Liverpool fan and in return for a ticket he gave me a pillion ride. In the uproar after Barker’s goal I lost the goggles off the top of the helmet he lent me.

Seaman certainly seemed vulnerable moving his feet to high looping shots from range - see also Nayim and Ronaldinho. Perhaps something to do with spatial awareness. In my own modest way as a keeper, I had the same problem, not being able to project where and when a curving ball would come in reach and making a mess of corners. But like Seaman, I was good at short range relying on reaction not calculation. In the same game, he made an amazing save when a header was deflected late at short range, Barnes from Rush, or the other way round.
31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 23:05 - Mar 11 with 2040 viewsSuperhoop83

Great article.

I was in the East Paddock for that match, as I had been at the Arsenal replay in the p*ssing rain. I lived off Fulham Palace Road that season and could walk to the ground - I remember doing that for the 4-2 win over Chelsea and the 3-1 win over Spurs. What a season that was.

After Rush scored I was convinced it was game over, making Barker's goal all the sweeter. The Arsenal game is an ever better memory and the intake of breath as Sansom took his shot and the noise as it hit the net still gives me goosebumps. Go to 15.00 on here:

[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 23:09]

Suffering since 1978.

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 23:18 - Mar 11 with 2017 viewsloftboy

Didn’t miss a game home or away that season, was convinced our name was on the cup.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 23:25 - Mar 11 with 2009 viewsBrianMcCarthy

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 23:02 - Mar 11 by MrSheen

First and only time I was on a motorbike. My brother in law was a courier and an armchair Liverpool fan and in return for a ticket he gave me a pillion ride. In the uproar after Barker’s goal I lost the goggles off the top of the helmet he lent me.

Seaman certainly seemed vulnerable moving his feet to high looping shots from range - see also Nayim and Ronaldinho. Perhaps something to do with spatial awareness. In my own modest way as a keeper, I had the same problem, not being able to project where and when a curving ball would come in reach and making a mess of corners. But like Seaman, I was good at short range relying on reaction not calculation. In the same game, he made an amazing save when a header was deflected late at short range, Barnes from Rush, or the other way round.

Yes! I'd forgotten that. Cracking save.

I actually think with him it was just that he had a footwork problem at the time. I also think his footwork was poor for Gazza's free in the FA Cup Semi at Wembley. He may have become brilliant at it for all I know, I didn't watch Arsenal enough to know. I'll have to think about that spatial awareness idea though. Could be something interesting there.

But one of the basics of attacking long-range shots is that you push off the near foot as that helps you spring up as well as far, Seaman on this one got his set-up right, but shuffled when there was no need and ended up flat-footed and pushing off his far foot so couldn't attack the ball with force and on time.

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 23:32 - Mar 11 with 1993 viewsBrianMcCarthy

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 23:05 - Mar 11 by Superhoop83

Great article.

I was in the East Paddock for that match, as I had been at the Arsenal replay in the p*ssing rain. I lived off Fulham Palace Road that season and could walk to the ground - I remember doing that for the 4-2 win over Chelsea and the 3-1 win over Spurs. What a season that was.

After Rush scored I was convinced it was game over, making Barker's goal all the sweeter. The Arsenal game is an ever better memory and the intake of breath as Sansom took his shot and the noise as it hit the net still gives me goosebumps. Go to 15.00 on here:

[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 23:09]

My favourite ever home game.

On that clip the crowd reaction seems wilder for the Sansom goal, but I remember it being louder for the Sinton goal somehow. Maybe it just was in our part of the Loft (soaking wet, pushed down the terrace early on, no cover, who cares, glasses steamed up, what are contact lenses, kiss me Wegerle etc).

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 08:06 - Mar 12 with 1834 viewsCamberleyR

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 22:33 - Mar 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Cracking article, Hucker.

Great personal story (I'm very envious) but also so much Rangers history. We were on a great run under Howe at that time, something like 1 or 2 defeats in 18 or 20. We lacked depth but we were a coming force.

I never knew that Barnes supported Rangers as a kid. I'd heard that he was offered a trial and stayed with us for a while, but never knew he was a fan.

I agree with you about Seaman, he never did get the free kicks right while playing for us. Never on his toes, and always took a few small steps before launching himself.

I remember the euphoria afterwards, it was epic in the pubs afterwards and on the trains home all we seemed to bump into was Raners, everyone ecstatic. We really did think we'd do them up at Anfield. Sadly, I remember very little about the replay or the trip. Probably a penalty, or some such shít?

No, for once not a dodgy Kop end penalty.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 08:10 - Mar 12 with 1823 viewspaulparker

We should have took them to another replay as we were the better side at Anfield
Mind you in typical QPR fashion if we had beaten Liverpool we would have only lost to Palace in the semi

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 08:14 - Mar 12 with 1812 viewsloftus77

How is it I can remember events from 31 years back so clearly and forget to put the bins out 2 days ago?...

I remember being in the East Paddock and absolute insane scenes when Barker scored.

I remember the annoying scoreboard insisting it was 'QPR 2 Liverpool 1' - rubbed it in more.

I remember the School End singing "we won't pay the poll tax..."

I remember the absolute optimism in the pub afterwards that 'we'd easily beat Palace in the semi-final'.

But most of all I remember just how important the FA Cup used to be. At the time, there couldn't be a bigger game at LR - home to the holders/best team in the country in an FA Cup quarter-final with the whole nation watching. Great days.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 8:16]
31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 09:03 - Mar 12 with 1751 viewsSuperhoop83

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 23:32 - Mar 11 by BrianMcCarthy

On that clip the crowd reaction seems wilder for the Sansom goal, but I remember it being louder for the Sinton goal somehow. Maybe it just was in our part of the Loft (soaking wet, pushed down the terrace early on, no cover, who cares, glasses steamed up, what are contact lenses, kiss me Wegerle etc).

I agree about the Sinton goal Brian. I think the mayhem that ensued was because we had guaranteed the win against the Gooners. I just love the sound and the scenes of the Sansom goal on the highlights.

And what a player Wegerle was.

Suffering since 1978.

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 17:31 - Mar 12 with 1637 viewsdistortR

31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 23:32 - Mar 11 by BrianMcCarthy

mine too, Brian.

Funnily enough we were talking about the Liverpool replay the other day, I was telling you how absolutely bereft i felt on the train back.

As loftboy said, that was our year.

Except it wasn't.

The Arsenal game, both goals wildly celebrated, I was in the loft and as soon as Sansom made contact I knew it was in.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 17:34]
31 years ago today QPR v Liverpool FA Cup on 18:22 - Mar 12 with 1577 viewskensalriser

Phil Chevron played for Radiators from Space before his time with The Pogues.

How the fck no I mean really, how the fck did I remember that?

What I don’t remember is Paul Weller playing for Arsenal. That did come as a surprise.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024