Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Music fans 23:39 - May 1 with 4814 viewsqpr_1968

how good were queen

watching them now..... wembley.. fantastic.

gutted i never see them live.......

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Music fans on 21:45 - May 2 with 1735 viewsqueensparker

Bit of Marmite band eh?

Growing up in late 80s it was the done thing to sneer at Queen but the Live Magic tape got me properly into music at 13, thought it was the greatest thing ever.
Music fans on 01:00 - May 3 with 1645 viewsBoston

Music fans on 20:58 - May 2 by hantssi

Just watched Fleetwood Mac live from Boston 2004, BRILLIANT!!
First gig for me, ELO Wembley 78, biggest Led Zepplin at Knebworth 79.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 21:00]

Walking distance from your childhood home...ELO, Brent Town Hall, '72ish, attendance 110.
[Post edited 3 May 2021 1:05]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Music fans on 07:27 - May 3 with 1595 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Music fans on 16:01 - May 2 by corse

First five albums were absolutely great. Queen 2 is one of my favourite albums.

Same here.

Queen Live at the Rainbow '74 is pretty damn good for a live album.
I'm not really a fan of live albums as they are not loud enough even after running them through dbpoweramp.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Music fans on 09:00 - May 3 with 1572 viewsdutch

Absolute overblown, soulless, pompous stadium drivel. Camp mock operatic muck, just look at Brian May's hair and you know what they will sound like.
Music fans on 14:57 - May 3 with 1519 viewshantssi

Music fans on 01:00 - May 3 by Boston

Walking distance from your childhood home...ELO, Brent Town Hall, '72ish, attendance 110.
[Post edited 3 May 2021 1:05]

Brent Town Hall now a French school!
Listed building so they couldn’t do much with it.
Music fans on 15:08 - May 3 with 1509 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Never got them. Honestly can't think of a single Queen song I like, though I know they were talented.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Music fans on 15:22 - May 3 with 1493 viewswalshy15a

Saw them in 1976 in Hyde Park ,a few tube stops from home and it was free ,what was`nt to like .
Music fans on 15:37 - May 3 with 1474 viewsdistortR

my trashy neighbour, every 'kin party she has (Most weekends in summer), always screaming at kids, anyway, her party piece is to go in the garden and sing bohemian rhapsody really 'kin loudly. It's really, really, really funny when she does it, even given that i've heard it 46 times already.
She recently brought a hot tub.
Login to get fewer ads

Music fans on 15:59 - May 3 with 1457 viewskensalriser

Music fans on 15:37 - May 3 by distortR

my trashy neighbour, every 'kin party she has (Most weekends in summer), always screaming at kids, anyway, her party piece is to go in the garden and sing bohemian rhapsody really 'kin loudly. It's really, really, really funny when she does it, even given that i've heard it 46 times already.

Time to move.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Music fans on 16:05 - May 3 with 1455 viewsKonk

I have tried to be open-minded about Queen, but the best I can say about them is that I only actively dislike 95% of their stuff that I’ve heard, and the other 5% is sh it but not offensively so. I would genuinely rather eat the head of a scabby horse than go to see ‘We will rock you’ at the theatre. Sorry.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Music fans on 16:15 - May 3 with 1444 viewsdutch

Music fans on 16:05 - May 3 by Konk

I have tried to be open-minded about Queen, but the best I can say about them is that I only actively dislike 95% of their stuff that I’ve heard, and the other 5% is sh it but not offensively so. I would genuinely rather eat the head of a scabby horse than go to see ‘We will rock you’ at the theatre. Sorry.

A portion of scabby horse head or Bohemian Rhapsody? Somebody get me a knife and fork.
Music fans on 17:08 - May 3 with 1412 viewsPeterHucker

Music fans on 07:43 - May 2 by Rs_Holy

They also had that rare gift of producing songs that were totally different to anything they’d done in the past. When you listen to Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, Youre My Best Friend, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, One Vision, Crazy Little Thing Called Love etc etc they are really different in their sound and structure but still great tunes.
Oh and they stole the show at Live Aid...
[Post edited 2 May 2021 7:45]

The whole Queen stole the show at Live Aid thing is revisionist rubbish.
They turned in a decent performance but then so did Elton John, Paul Young, Sting, David Bowie, Dire Straits, Ultravox, U2 etc.

Somehow over the years, and definitely even more so since that Queen film, the mythology around that day has changed so now people believe that it was Queen's performance that somehow saved the day and got the donations rolling in. Poppycock.

The main thing that started the donations coming in faster was the footage set to Drive by The Cars that was broadcast in David Bowie's set. Bob Geldof has said this himself many times, including a very entertaining recent interview for the Rockonteurs podcast.
https://www.rockonteurs.com
Music fans on 17:35 - May 3 with 1395 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Music fans on 17:08 - May 3 by PeterHucker

They turned in a decent performance but then so did Elton John, Paul Young, Sting, David Bowie, Dire Straits, Ultravox, U2 etc.

Somehow over the years, and definitely even more so since that Queen film, the mythology around that day has changed so now people believe that it was Queen's performance that somehow saved the day and got the donations rolling in. Poppycock.

The main thing that started the donations coming in faster was the footage set to Drive by The Cars that was broadcast in David Bowie's set. Bob Geldof has said this himself many times, including a very entertaining recent interview for the Rockonteurs podcast.

Great point, Peter.

I remember hearing a radio show many years ago about the great imagined events in people's lives. In the music category was that far, far more people 'remember' Queen being brilliant at Live Aid than were watching the telly at the time.

FWIW - I thought they put on a show. I just don't like their music.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Music fans on 17:59 - May 3 with 1384 viewslarsricchi

Music fans on 15:08 - May 3 by BrianMcCarthy

Never got them. Honestly can't think of a single Queen song I like, though I know they were talented.

I'll co-sign this.
Music fans on 18:08 - May 3 with 1369 viewsBoston

Music fans on 17:35 - May 3 by BrianMcCarthy

Great point, Peter.

I remember hearing a radio show many years ago about the great imagined events in people's lives. In the music category was that far, far more people 'remember' Queen being brilliant at Live Aid than were watching the telly at the time.

FWIW - I thought they put on a show. I just don't like their music.

Y'know, if the number of people who said they were in The Blind Beggar one particular night was factual, he'd have never been able to extend his arm, let alone get a shot off.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Music fans on 18:26 - May 3 with 1348 viewsRs_Holy

all about opinions I suppose???

https://www.google.com/search?q=who+was+the+best+band+at+live+aid%3F&rlz=1C1
Music fans on 19:22 - May 3 with 1304 viewsMick_S

Could you film it mate but leave the hot tub out?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Music fans on 19:37 - May 3 with 1286 viewsdistortR

Music fans on 19:22 - May 3 by Mick_S

Could you film it mate but leave the hot tub out?

nah, there's a general injunction out on me preventing me from fil...................
actually, forget that.
I mean, I know what it looked like, but it was all completely innocent, army fatigues or not.
Music fans on 21:59 - May 3 with 1234 viewsCiderwithRsie

Agreed, but what you have to remember was that the people you've mentioned were all reckoned to be on the top of their game at the time whereas Queen were thought by most to be has-beens producing over-blown stadium rock suitable for yanks but not us cool Brits.

Then here comes a stadium gig and guess what? a stadium band turned out to be pretty damn good at it, 20-somethings started to remember the songs from their childhood affectionately instead of as just naff, it was one of those expectation things.

Plus whatever you think of them, they were all trained musicians who had been together for years with a honed stage act and a back-catalogue. Bowie is god to me and for me his Live Aid was blistering with a band thrown together from Thomas Dolby's band and session players, TBH I think that was more impressive but maybe not quite as slick (cried out for Earl Slick, for me)
Music fans on 22:26 - May 3 with 1201 viewsMetallica_Hoop

One of the best frontmen though.

Maybe this is why.

https://www.thelocal.at/20160420/was-freddie-mercury-a-better-singer-than-pavaro

Music fans on 22:56 - May 3 with 1178 viewshamptonhillhoop

I've been with my wife for twenty eight years. About halfway through this relationship my mother in law said to me "you'd love we will rock you. It's written by Ben Elton and has all the Queen songs in it" I couldn't think of anything to say to her that wouldn't have caused a never to be mended family rift. They're Palace fans
Music fans on 23:46 - May 3 with 1139 viewsMetallica_Hoop

At the tribute. The other best frontman turned up.

Music fans on 09:41 - May 4 with 1046 viewsjohann28

Not my thing at all, but aren't they the only band in history other than the Beatles in which every member of the band had a No 1 hit record?
Music fans on 10:23 - May 4 with 1020 viewsCroydonCaptJack

For me, the best moment of Live Aid was Bowies Heroes. Spine tingling
Music fans on 11:26 - May 4 with 995 viewsCiderwithRsie

Music fans on 10:23 - May 4 by CroydonCaptJack

For me, the best moment of Live Aid was Bowies Heroes. Spine tingling

Somewhere on YouTube is a video of his final live performance of that song at the Hurricane festival - for my money it is a better rendition of the song, more intense, less obviously a performance. Shortly after leaving the stage he had his heart attack and that was that for gigging.

I think you have the Queen issue there - Bo Rap is a remarkable work for a rock/pop single of its era, compared to Heroes it has more complex melodies and Mercury's voice has vastly greater range, but in the end it is all twiddly bits, showing off, and fantasy lyrics; Heroes is intense, concentrated wild romance, in its way just as epic/overblown but more meaningful. "We can be heroes, just for one day" is a philosophy for life, "Scaramouche, scaramouch will you do the fandango?" bloody isn't.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024