Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview 16:11 - May 5 with 4060 viewsE15Hoop

This just came up on my YouTube list. Really engaging interview from a young Scottish podcast host, and you get to see a warmer, more personal side to Warbler than we have in general seen at QPR so far. Really good insight into his trading career and how that's informed his coaching approach - well worth an hour of your time, I would say:

Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 17:37 - May 5 with 3924 viewsAddinall

Agree with your assessment.Good insight into the football contacts he has had and still has.
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 19:44 - May 5 with 3766 viewsLondon_Pride

Very interesting insight. He is a man driven by a strong desire to succeed whether working from 5:45 to late in the city or spending a year going around Europe to look at youth development programmes. Also, as the OP said, comes across very personable and genuine.
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 23:05 - May 5 with 3527 viewsGreenbay

Thank goodness we have Warbs as manager.
A good insight into his thinking.
Honesty and respect was prominent.
The interview must have been done in mid-March.
No wonder the QPR board selected him as manager especially with his background of youth development.
Very refreshing to know that we have the right man as the 'gaffer'.
Already looking forward to next season.
And thanks for putting this up E15.
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 00:29 - May 6 with 3451 viewsqueensparker

We’re lucky to have him. Not many managers around with that level of work ethic and background and determination and intelligence and we’re seeing the results.

To think it could have been Tim Sherwood
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 00:48 - May 6 with 3434 viewsCiderwithRsie

Listening to that one thing I'm sad about is that for most of his time with us there's been no crowd in, it's a shame he has not had the chance to build a relationship with Rs fans in the ground.
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 07:55 - May 6 with 3280 viewsBrisbaneR

He comes across really well doesn't he? I get the impression he is the sort of bloke that, as a young player or someone trying to work their way up through any organisation, would be a really good mentor. Given money doesn't seem to be much of an issue he must do it for the love and that's someone you'd put your faith in isn't it?
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 08:17 - May 6 with 3259 viewsdmm

Warburton talks pretty comprehensively about his working life. He's someone with high ethical standards and deeply held personal values that shape the way he works. I like that a lot.

I was impressed with how he talked about the players he admires. He obviously sees character being as important, and sometimes more important, than ability. I now better understand why he values players like Wallace and Ball so much. Did the notion of wanting the 'right sort' of player at QPR start with him? If not, it will have been double underlined with his arrival.
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 08:19 - May 6 with 3254 viewsRs_Holy

Always get an interesting interview with Warbs, kind of reminds me of Gerry Francis in that respect.
[Post edited 6 May 2021 9:05]
Login to get fewer ads

Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 10:08 - May 6 with 3101 viewsE15Hoop

Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 08:19 - May 6 by Rs_Holy

Always get an interesting interview with Warbs, kind of reminds me of Gerry Francis in that respect.
[Post edited 6 May 2021 9:05]

Cheers, guys -glad you all enjoyed watching it as much as I did, and thanks for your comments. Dmm: I would say that the "right sort" evaluation actually started with Sir Les, who put a Code of Conduct in place as soon as he came back to the club, which every new signing had to agree to.

Whilst no one has ever openly stated that this is the case, I get the very strong sense that Sir Les and Harry Redknapp were never quite on the same page, and I think it was not long after Les came back that Mr Redchapp started developing his "knee issue"..

It seems likely that Les always had MW in mind for taking over at LR once all the stars aligned both for his skill, experience and passion in developing young players, but also precisely because of his strong ethical code.

On a side note, I thought MW's comments about Sir Joseph of Bartonville were interesting, especially since Cosmic Joe has been busy slagging Warbler off recently. There was clearly more that MW could have said, but, again, in true classy style, he stressed how good a player he felt Barton was, whilst hinting that he regretted taking him to Ibrox without directly saying it..
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 10:36 - May 6 with 3053 viewsRs_Holy

Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 10:08 - May 6 by E15Hoop

Cheers, guys -glad you all enjoyed watching it as much as I did, and thanks for your comments. Dmm: I would say that the "right sort" evaluation actually started with Sir Les, who put a Code of Conduct in place as soon as he came back to the club, which every new signing had to agree to.

Whilst no one has ever openly stated that this is the case, I get the very strong sense that Sir Les and Harry Redknapp were never quite on the same page, and I think it was not long after Les came back that Mr Redchapp started developing his "knee issue"..

It seems likely that Les always had MW in mind for taking over at LR once all the stars aligned both for his skill, experience and passion in developing young players, but also precisely because of his strong ethical code.

On a side note, I thought MW's comments about Sir Joseph of Bartonville were interesting, especially since Cosmic Joe has been busy slagging Warbler off recently. There was clearly more that MW could have said, but, again, in true classy style, he stressed how good a player he felt Barton was, whilst hinting that he regretted taking him to Ibrox without directly saying it..

absolutely re Barton! ...Warbs conducting himself with class and Barton acting like Barton.
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 11:40 - May 6 with 2982 viewsEastR

That was very interesting, thanks for posting.

A few things that came across that make some of the situations that have arisen this season more understandable:
- Youth development. He understands the importance of matching physical development with development as a player through getting game time. You can understand how he's taken Chair and others out at times.
- If you wanted (needed) a manager who was going to promote and development young players, his experience is the perfect fit
- He’s structured contracts in the past to incentivize players beyond getting to ’51 points’, wanting to push on right to the end of the season
- His business background gives him a very ‘black and white’, non-sentimental, view in his decision making — you’re in, or you’re out e.g. Bright, Manning and to a lesser extent Lumley recently
- Having been DOF at Brentford, he as a very clear view of how that role should operate with the manager. Because of that I reckon him and Les have a good working relationship and that no doubt would have helped through that bad patch before we turned a corner in the new year
- He's been burned by the media (watch out Clive) a couple of times for things he's said and been quoted out of context, esp in Glasgow. Which might explain why he comes sometimes across as quite bland and non committal in interviews
[Post edited 6 May 2021 13:00]

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 12:54 - May 6 with 2850 viewsE15Hoop

Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 11:40 - May 6 by EastR

That was very interesting, thanks for posting.

A few things that came across that make some of the situations that have arisen this season more understandable:
- Youth development. He understands the importance of matching physical development with development as a player through getting game time. You can understand how he's taken Chair and others out at times.
- If you wanted (needed) a manager who was going to promote and development young players, his experience is the perfect fit
- He’s structured contracts in the past to incentivize players beyond getting to ’51 points’, wanting to push on right to the end of the season
- His business background gives him a very ‘black and white’, non-sentimental, view in his decision making — you’re in, or you’re out e.g. Bright, Manning and to a lesser extent Lumley recently
- Having been DOF at Brentford, he as a very clear view of how that role should operate with the manager. Because of that I reckon him and Les have a good working relationship and that no doubt would have helped through that bad patch before we turned a corner in the new year
- He's been burned by the media (watch out Clive) a couple of times for things he's said and been quoted out of context, esp in Glasgow. Which might explain why he comes sometimes across as quite bland and non committal in interviews
[Post edited 6 May 2021 13:00]

Was thinking about that last point myself, East - bang on.

I also suspect MW himself genuinely gets on well with the Board, and will be able to demonstrate that he understands their pressures and responsibilities, whilst not being afraid to push for as much direct support as he can negotiate.

All round, he has definitely proven himself to be the best fit for QPR over the past couple of seasons, and has clearly strengthened his case to take the club (fingers crossed_ to the next level.
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 14:01 - May 6 with 2744 viewsaston_hoop

An excellent hour of listening, so much respect for that mans work ethic and self-belief in his own methods. I feel like we could be the ones that really benefit from giving him a proper amount of time in charge of this team, no knee-jerk reactions if we lose a few next season.

Also, credit to the lady interviewing. These things are so much better when they just let the guest do the talking.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 14:26 - May 6 with 2694 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Very enjoyable and informative interview, helped by the presenter who asked great questions and allowed her guest to answer them in full.

Thanks for posting, E15.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 15:20 - May 6 with 2608 viewssouthbrookstreet

thanks e15.... excellent
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 16:26 - May 6 with 2542 viewsW7Ranger

Thoroughly enjoyable interview.

Although we had reasonable knowledge of his background, it's great to hear a more in depth interview about his professional life inside and outside of football, anf also him as a person.

I can't think of a more ideal fit for QPR at the moment. I hope many more fans listen to this.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 12:33]
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 19:39 - May 6 with 2427 viewsCiderwithRsie

Although people have praised her, I don't think anyone's name checked the interviewer, Amy Canavan (admirably reticent.) She dies a great job in asking good questions and letting him talk. Clearly she managed to set him at his ease, which stands out given the thing others have noted about the way he has been burned a few times in the press, especially in his time in Glasgow. Given she appears to be from the Celtic side of the divide, that's good going.

I feel I know a lot more about him than I did. On top of the points others have made about his emphasis on youth and on players with the right sort of character, it also comes over that he believes that the manager needs to get the players enjoying their football and that he also thinks its important that the fans are entertained. These are all great characteristics for a QPR manager.
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 13:19 - May 7 with 2193 viewsgolborne

Glad he mentioned the winless streak cos I agree with him. Stoke, Huddlesfield and Swansea were poor, but we played well in the other 6 games, or at least created many good chances in each. The first 40 mins against Bristol City at home was the best we've played all season, hands down. Wave after wave and could easily have been 3-4 up. Then Dom Ball nods off on the edge of our own box on the stroke of half time and it becomes a different game in the 2nd half.
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 22:21 - May 8 with 2011 viewsGloryHunter

Interesting to hear that MW was at all the QPR home games in 1975-76, and could reel off the team sheet from memory. So he's a closet QPR fan, right?
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 10:09 - May 9 with 1899 viewsA40Bosh

Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 22:21 - May 8 by GloryHunter

Interesting to hear that MW was at all the QPR home games in 1975-76, and could reel off the team sheet from memory. So he's a closet QPR fan, right?

Spuds

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 12:16 - May 9 with 1847 viewsonlyrinmoray

Thanks for posting this Warburton is a great fit for QPR the football we are playing is great sharp composed easy on the eye I hope when we have a poor spell next season people will remember this
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 12:25 - May 9 with 1830 viewsE15Hoop

Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 10:09 - May 9 by A40Bosh

Spuds

But with a very big affection for that 76 team.

Neil McLintock, (Frank's son) was his close mate from school, and I guess you couldn't fail but be massively impressed by Dave Sexton taking a training session with Stan Bowles, Don Masson, Gerry Francis, Dave Thomas, Dave Clement etc. etc as your first major exposure to football, if you're a football obsessed kid (which he clearly was).

Those are pretty impactful memories, and clearly set him on his path, so I think we can (kind of) claim him as one or R own!😁

Imagine coming into work each day, and you see your heroes staring down at you from the wall -that's going to imprint itself bigtime on your motivation.

So I think we can safely say that W12 is a place he's very happy to find himself in..
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 16:40 - May 9 with 1760 viewsTGRRRSSS

Great interview, and yes he came across better than often he does, and it gives some more understanding where he's coming from sometimes.

Weird how he mentioned losing the top 4/6 and he mentions beating Millwall so thats probably done on the 19th or 20th March a month or so before that came out.

His views on Centic and Rangers are not surprising, funny he didnt really elaborate on the finances that this could involve.

Though dont see how it can happen if Jimmmy Krankie gets her way and wins a referendum
Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 16:48 - May 9 with 1749 viewsE15Hoop

Very Good Mark Warburton Interview on 16:40 - May 9 by TGRRRSSS

Great interview, and yes he came across better than often he does, and it gives some more understanding where he's coming from sometimes.

Weird how he mentioned losing the top 4/6 and he mentions beating Millwall so thats probably done on the 19th or 20th March a month or so before that came out.

His views on Centic and Rangers are not surprising, funny he didnt really elaborate on the finances that this could involve.

Though dont see how it can happen if Jimmmy Krankie gets her way and wins a referendum

Clown Prince BoJo and her seem to be heading for a big showdown on that, and there'll only be one winner, unless she can get Mel Gibson dressed back up in tartan, resurrect Sean Connery and get the whole population mobilised and marching down the M6.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024