Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread 13:04 - Jul 10 with 36381 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think I’ve been quite lucky so far no?

Well managed England play will defeat the Italians by the odd goal.

Here’s me putting the gauntlet down:

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:02 - Jul 14 with 1666 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:54 - Jul 14 by SheffieldHoop

Sorry, but if you're happy to stay silent on working-class kids routinely stabbing each other to death in the street
But feel the need to make a huge story about 4 racists in the UK sending abusive tweets to footballers, on the internet
I do have to question that point of view, because it's wrong.

I really feel like i'm in the twilight zone here.

As the media reported on both I really don't see the issue. If you think one is more important than the other then that is completely upto you but both seem worthy stories that were covered.

The way news is covered usually reflects the public mood. I'm not looking to defend anyone here just giving their side of the argument.

The Fall out of England going out of the Euros, the tweets the crowd trouble etc is a massive story this week, if that had happened after QPR v Millwall you'd get far less coverage as far less people across the entire country are interested. As tragic as a teenager getting stabbed is that is not going to gain as much coverage this week same as the number of people dying of covid or any other worthy story is a long way down the news coverage as well when it would probably be main story in other weeks.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 18:07]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:08 - Jul 14 with 1656 viewsMyke

This is a very interesting debate. I feel that even traditional news reports are influenced by social media and tailor both the 'depth' of their story and which ones they prioritise (ie 'top story') depending on who they perceive is their largest and most invested listen/readership. A good example currently here in Ireland is the debate on in-door dining. Outdoor dining is never a viable option in the west/northwest of Ireland due to the rainfall amounts, but much more so in Dublin and Cork where the weather is much more settled. So outdoor dining was the only show in town during June and early July and there were no complaints (or more accurately no dissenting voices listened to)as the weather was grand in Dublin/Cork. That all changed the weekend before last when the weather broke and suddenly indoor dining was the top story and the government came under enormous pressure from the hospitality lobbyists to introduce legislation allowing indoor dining for fully vaccinated and recovered covid people. It was rushed through the Dail this week, despite today having our highest number of cases since early Feb..
My point being that even politicians are influenced by 'trending' stories, not just on Social Media but on traditional media outlets too
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:09 - Jul 14 with 1607 viewsSheffieldHoop

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:49 - Jul 14 by Konk

Okay, so how much attention would you like the media to dedicate to each murder, and what would expect the increased media attention to achieve? Assuming it became the top story on the News every night, and the public couldn't avoid coverage of the situation, then what would you expect to happen?

Well, it depends on the circumstances obviously.

16-year-old child stabbed to death by 2 men on a moped in broad daylight on a not-particularly-quiet residential street in South London should receive quite extensive coverage I would assume.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57814253

Likewise about the kid stabbed outside the school in Hayes at 8 in the morning.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57454285

But bloke stabbed during a fight on a night out.....maybe turn down the heat a bit.

These are just 2 examples I'm aware of because I've got connections to those areas. If I google 'stabbing' I quickly find very recent stories about stabbings in Stockwell, Rotherham. I'm not saying the media doesn't cover this stuff, it obviously does, it's about the weight they put on it. More coverage would probably achieve nothing, but putting more weight on the issue would.

But instead, what do we have? Next to no national coverage of a murder of a 16-year-old, while we're all being lectured about online abuse, while practically none of us engage in it. It is a bit weird, isn't it? Stupid, irresponsible, or deliberately misleading?

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:26 - Jul 14 with 1576 viewsSheffieldHoop

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:08 - Jul 14 by Myke

This is a very interesting debate. I feel that even traditional news reports are influenced by social media and tailor both the 'depth' of their story and which ones they prioritise (ie 'top story') depending on who they perceive is their largest and most invested listen/readership. A good example currently here in Ireland is the debate on in-door dining. Outdoor dining is never a viable option in the west/northwest of Ireland due to the rainfall amounts, but much more so in Dublin and Cork where the weather is much more settled. So outdoor dining was the only show in town during June and early July and there were no complaints (or more accurately no dissenting voices listened to)as the weather was grand in Dublin/Cork. That all changed the weekend before last when the weather broke and suddenly indoor dining was the top story and the government came under enormous pressure from the hospitality lobbyists to introduce legislation allowing indoor dining for fully vaccinated and recovered covid people. It was rushed through the Dail this week, despite today having our highest number of cases since early Feb..
My point being that even politicians are influenced by 'trending' stories, not just on Social Media but on traditional media outlets too

There was a Labour MP on the news this afternoon speaking about the "Horrific levels of racist abuse"

I suppose you can defend it by saying that ANY racial abuse is horrific. But also, any danger of some context?

I meet people all the time who are absolutely convinced that most white people are racist against them. I do everything I can to convince them that isn't true. But it's practically impossible with our media, MPs etc.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:47 - Jul 14 with 1583 viewsPlanetHonneywood

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 13:51 - Jul 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

I'm umming and ahhring about going for a month during the WC as my brother is out there and i'll have free accommodation. Been there before and had mixed feeling on Doha as a City and less mixed feelings on the cost of a pint.

I've convinced myself due to it's location, cost of hotels, and bad coverage that it's going to be relatively fan free compared to say a Germany or even Russian WC.

Is that the feeling out there or are they preparing for the end of the world?

Just finished three years out there, and some people I met there think it’ll be ok however, I’m not sure.

Most games I went to saw a trickle of fans attending and those where there was a crowd, were attended by better behaved people than the louts we saw on Sunday embarrassing us.

I’ve heard a lot of Qataris remain sceptical as to why they ever bid for it. They’ll have built seven stadiums that will lay idle afterwards; be down around $350b; and now they see this may bring drunken oafs; gratuitous violence; and there largely defenceless shopping malls and main Souq facing a baying mob potentially urinating; robbing and trashing the place. I also think their spotless metro system will be desecrated.

Doha is not a particularly interesting or exciting place. They’re financially stretched so prices will be dropped to accommodate and ensure people attend. But given the variables of no experience of handling something of this nature, unsure policing expertise, and ‘possibly’ alcohol, I’d be wary. On the other hand, if it’s pricey, global economic issues and the fact it’s the month before Christmas deter the idiots, then the Doha World Cup might surprise us.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 23:06 - Jul 14 with 1414 viewsizlingtonhoop

Don't know if this has been brought up already, but look at the cop seriously overdoing it at the beginning of this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57823364

Utterly outrageous.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 23:14 - Jul 14 with 1396 viewsWegerles_Stairs

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15595227/yob-flare-bum-strolled-into-wembley/

*reads on*

"But Chelsea fan Perry, who boasted of bribing a steward to get in, insisted he “regrets nothing” and is already looking forward to the next tournament in Qatar in 2022."

Ah.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 23:23 - Jul 14 with 1375 viewsbob566

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 23:06 - Jul 14 by izlingtonhoop

Don't know if this has been brought up already, but look at the cop seriously overdoing it at the beginning of this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57823364

Utterly outrageous.

Is it any different to looting. They're trying to rob a seat rather than a tv but the principles the same. 99.9% of good honest fans stayed away from trying to invade the stadium. I've no sympathy if the lad got a hiding. What about these yobs endangering stewards lives. They've got families to go home to aswell
Login to get fewer ads

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 23:37 - Jul 14 with 1349 viewsbob566

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 23:14 - Jul 14 by Wegerles_Stairs

*reads on*

"But Chelsea fan Perry, who boasted of bribing a steward to get in, insisted he “regrets nothing” and is already looking forward to the next tournament in Qatar in 2022."

Ah.

If I was the met or gov't I'd let Perry travel to Doha. Have him arrested over there. Don't fight his deportation and see how he likes a Qatari rocket between his butt cheeks.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 23:37 - Jul 14 with 1343 viewsdaveB

*reads on*

Ah.

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone so stupid confess to several crimes in a national newspaper.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 23:44 - Jul 14 with 1339 viewsbob566

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 23:37 - Jul 14 by daveB

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone so stupid confess to several crimes in a national newspaper.

Me neither Dave but putting an incendiary up your jaxy I'd have expected nothing less. P
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:19 - Jul 15 with 1316 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:47 - Jul 14 by PlanetHonneywood

Just finished three years out there, and some people I met there think it’ll be ok however, I’m not sure.

Most games I went to saw a trickle of fans attending and those where there was a crowd, were attended by better behaved people than the louts we saw on Sunday embarrassing us.

I’ve heard a lot of Qataris remain sceptical as to why they ever bid for it. They’ll have built seven stadiums that will lay idle afterwards; be down around $350b; and now they see this may bring drunken oafs; gratuitous violence; and there largely defenceless shopping malls and main Souq facing a baying mob potentially urinating; robbing and trashing the place. I also think their spotless metro system will be desecrated.

Doha is not a particularly interesting or exciting place. They’re financially stretched so prices will be dropped to accommodate and ensure people attend. But given the variables of no experience of handling something of this nature, unsure policing expertise, and ‘possibly’ alcohol, I’d be wary. On the other hand, if it’s pricey, global economic issues and the fact it’s the month before Christmas deter the idiots, then the Doha World Cup might surprise us.

Thanks.

I found the Islamic Museum interesting

Other than jet skiiing and exploring the various ex pat drinking holes full of pushy Thai prostitutes I wasn’t sure what there was to do. Bruv loves it though.

Couldn’t imagine The Pearl full of 50,000 sunburned Scottish, Irish, and England fans.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 0:20]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 06:28 - Jul 15 with 1242 viewsRs_Holy

That was such a depressing read … I can’t see Wembley/England getting any major events for the foreseeable future … a sad few days for our country
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 7:21]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 07:18 - Jul 15 with 1188 viewsPlanetHonneywood

*reads on*

Ah.

After the incidents in Brussels in 85, a headline in one of the Italian newspapers read: shame on a country who allows such animals out! It would seem 36 years on, the sentiment remains and the action still necessary.

We have 15 months to wade through social media and CCTV footage, and enact the necessary laws to prevent these cretins from leaving English shores to embarrass us overseas.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 07:24 - Jul 15 with 1182 viewsdistortR

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:08 - Jul 14 by Myke

it's not great if social media 'influencers' are pushing the media and government's agenda.

As an aside, I wonder how much misogynistic abuse the female presenters have received this tournament?

Why do people post this vile crap? For some, blind hatred, to hurt. For some, publicity. Is it an almost tourettes-like response to saying the unsayable? Are there are foreign operatives whose job it is to destabilise getting free shots? Who would know?

But by amplifying their idiocy we're doing their work for them, ensuring continuation. So don't give them publicity. Go after them, but don't feed them.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 07:52 - Jul 15 with 1155 views80s_Boy

*reads on*

Ah.

Here's the problem...

He's an idiot but the newspapers have given him a platform to revel in what he did, show no remorse and, presumably, get paid for an exclusive interview...

Sometimes 'shining a light' on things isn't always the best option and that's why I think we need to look at the possibility of starving the idiots who racially abuse players on social media of attention.

There are idiots out there who will see how it affects some players and find it hilarious or a challenge to annoy opposition players. They'll move onto VPN and anonymous accounts to prevent arrest but will revel in seeing 'their work' displayed on front pages and news broadcasts.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 7:55]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:24 - Jul 15 with 1101 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Re: Perry

I’m sorry, I know this didn’t go down well the other day when I said similar, but I just can’t generate the same level of contempt I have for the football authorities towards this guy.

Sticking a flare up my arse and hoovering cocaine in front of an audience isn’t my cup of tea but the bigger villain in the form of the football authorities in that day’s fiasco escapes condemnation.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 8:46]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:48 - Jul 15 with 1052 viewsPlanetHonneywood

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 07:52 - Jul 15 by 80s_Boy

Here's the problem...

He's an idiot but the newspapers have given him a platform to revel in what he did, show no remorse and, presumably, get paid for an exclusive interview...

Sometimes 'shining a light' on things isn't always the best option and that's why I think we need to look at the possibility of starving the idiots who racially abuse players on social media of attention.

There are idiots out there who will see how it affects some players and find it hilarious or a challenge to annoy opposition players. They'll move onto VPN and anonymous accounts to prevent arrest but will revel in seeing 'their work' displayed on front pages and news broadcasts.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 7:55]

Starving the oxygen of publicity is not of itself a bad idea, but Sunday cannot be swept under the carpet.

The more important debate however, is what causes such loutishness to exist and how and why was it allowed to be performed in public, seemingly without any restrictions.

The first aspect is easy: our education system is matching that of the US in turning out a higher degree of ignorance and the economic model is wrong. As for the second aspect: I read a senior Met Police officer say the policing was not a failure. Our police have a difficult job and I for one am glad they do it, but as with Hillsborough, Orgreave they are impervious to any suggestions of blame or criticism.

We’ve been here before, sadly we’ll be here again.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:51 - Jul 15 with 1044 viewsTheChef

I know, it's almost like it's a set-up, right?

A Scum fan called Charlie Perry, sounds like he's from central casting

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:18 - Jul 15 with 1011 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:48 - Jul 15 by PlanetHonneywood

Starving the oxygen of publicity is not of itself a bad idea, but Sunday cannot be swept under the carpet.

The more important debate however, is what causes such loutishness to exist and how and why was it allowed to be performed in public, seemingly without any restrictions.

The first aspect is easy: our education system is matching that of the US in turning out a higher degree of ignorance and the economic model is wrong. As for the second aspect: I read a senior Met Police officer say the policing was not a failure. Our police have a difficult job and I for one am glad they do it, but as with Hillsborough, Orgreave they are impervious to any suggestions of blame or criticism.

We’ve been here before, sadly we’ll be here again.

"Sunday cannot be swept under the carpet."

They were saying yesterday that there were 5 persons who posted racial abuse in the UK on Sunday. That's 5 too many, of course, but I think highlighting how the Nation had come together for the tournament would be more beneficial than highlighting the actions of 5 idiots out of 60m+. The former allows us to acknowledge how untied this country can be whilst the latter allows a false narrative to develop.

"The more important debate however, is what causes such loutishness to exist "

A mixture of stupidity, youth, alcohol and drugs. It's not new and it will always be with us., sadly. Although I haven't stuck a flare up my backside, I won't be alone at looking at my younger self and occasionally feeling embarrassed at what a prat I sometimes was after a couple of pints too many.

"Our police have a difficult job and I for one am glad they do it, but as with Hillsborough, Orgreave they are impervious to any suggestions of blame or criticism."

I'm not going to pretend that I know much about Orgreave to be honest. However, you make an interesting point about Hillsborough. Part of the mistakes the police made in 1989 was rooted in previous behaviour of football fans. That's not to say that the fans present that day were responsible, but being just 4 years from Heysel, Birmingham and Luton the police that day had fresh memories of what can happen when they lose control of fans. However, rather than acknowledge this, the subsequent scrutiny has rendered the Police almost castrated and they seem to always be caught in the middle of arguments about how events should be policed. The soft presence on Sunday was clearly a huge mistake but I didn't like to see images of an officer repeatedly punching someone in the head and am surprised/shocked about how little attention this has received.

There has to be a middle way.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 9:21]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:42 - Jul 15 with 952 viewsClive_Anderson

"They were saying yesterday that there were 5 persons who posted racial abuse in the UK on Sunday. It's 5 too many, of course, but I think highlighting how the Nation had come together for the tournament would be more beneficial than highlighting the actions of 5 idiots out of 60m+."

Yeah there's obviously some idiots out there, but a handful of people saying mean stuff on social media shouldn't cause the whole country to feel some deep shame and guilt. I see they arrested a 12 year old over this, which seems a bit much to me, considering the police don't even bother to come around when you get burgled.

As for general loutish behaviour, it's got way worse after the lockdown, people have been going crazy in general this summer.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:48 - Jul 15 with 930 viewsNortholt_Rs

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:18 - Jul 15 by 80s_Boy

"Sunday cannot be swept under the carpet."

They were saying yesterday that there were 5 persons who posted racial abuse in the UK on Sunday. That's 5 too many, of course, but I think highlighting how the Nation had come together for the tournament would be more beneficial than highlighting the actions of 5 idiots out of 60m+. The former allows us to acknowledge how untied this country can be whilst the latter allows a false narrative to develop.

"The more important debate however, is what causes such loutishness to exist "

A mixture of stupidity, youth, alcohol and drugs. It's not new and it will always be with us., sadly. Although I haven't stuck a flare up my backside, I won't be alone at looking at my younger self and occasionally feeling embarrassed at what a prat I sometimes was after a couple of pints too many.

"Our police have a difficult job and I for one am glad they do it, but as with Hillsborough, Orgreave they are impervious to any suggestions of blame or criticism."

I'm not going to pretend that I know much about Orgreave to be honest. However, you make an interesting point about Hillsborough. Part of the mistakes the police made in 1989 was rooted in previous behaviour of football fans. That's not to say that the fans present that day were responsible, but being just 4 years from Heysel, Birmingham and Luton the police that day had fresh memories of what can happen when they lose control of fans. However, rather than acknowledge this, the subsequent scrutiny has rendered the Police almost castrated and they seem to always be caught in the middle of arguments about how events should be policed. The soft presence on Sunday was clearly a huge mistake but I didn't like to see images of an officer repeatedly punching someone in the head and am surprised/shocked about how little attention this has received.

There has to be a middle way.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 9:21]

Yeah hideous. Imagine if it has been the cop getting punched like that? The meeja would have had a W ankfest

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:56 - Jul 15 with 896 viewsClive_Anderson

To put things in perspective, there were 585,000 tweets the Guardian checked and 44 contained racist language.

So 0.0075% of tweets and how many of them were kids or bots?

I don't think the media's depiction of players facing a torrent of racist abuse is reflecting reality.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:59 - Jul 15 with 895 viewswillis1980

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 07:18 - Jul 15 by PlanetHonneywood

After the incidents in Brussels in 85, a headline in one of the Italian newspapers read: shame on a country who allows such animals out! It would seem 36 years on, the sentiment remains and the action still necessary.

We have 15 months to wade through social media and CCTV footage, and enact the necessary laws to prevent these cretins from leaving English shores to embarrass us overseas.

While I fully agree that a section of Englands support act like complete pratts and deserve to be derided for their behaviour. I do feel the Italian media arent really in position to throw with stones. You see more reports of Italian fans attacking people with knives and hammers these days than you English fans doing the same. I know of spurs and liverpool who have witnessed this sort of stuff first hand.

In addtion to that the Italian media posited the ludicrous theory that England only got to the final because UEFA wanted to reward Johnson for putting a pin in the European Super League, this garbagio gained traction on social media too.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:16 - Jul 15 with 839 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:59 - Jul 15 by willis1980

While I fully agree that a section of Englands support act like complete pratts and deserve to be derided for their behaviour. I do feel the Italian media arent really in position to throw with stones. You see more reports of Italian fans attacking people with knives and hammers these days than you English fans doing the same. I know of spurs and liverpool who have witnessed this sort of stuff first hand.

In addtion to that the Italian media posited the ludicrous theory that England only got to the final because UEFA wanted to reward Johnson for putting a pin in the European Super League, this garbagio gained traction on social media too.

I had the misfortune to be in Dortmund in 2017 and Amsterdam in 2018 to see how some English fans behave overseas. They are animals and part of the reason why I swapped following England away for overseas Groundhopping trips. Too many see England away games now as something on par with a stag weekend and act accordingly.

However when following England to Turin a couple of years before, we were advised by the FA AND the Italian Police that no-one could guarantee our safety travelling to and from the stadium and, as a consequence, it was more than advisable to travel on fully escorted buses/trams from the City centre to the stadium and back again.

At a normal Wembley international there is no enforced segregation and away fans sit happily among the home fans free from any abuse and travel to and from Wembley without raising eyebrows.

The Italian FA have more to learn from us than we will ever have to learn from them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024