Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. 12:05 - Jul 7 with 5595 viewsSnipper

The standard of refereeing in these Euro’s has been of a very high standard.

Top European referees from Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands etc…… seem to be much better than our own Premier League refs.

Do you think it would be beneficial to the Premier League, and other top European leagues, to have European referees officiating in all the top leagues in Europe?

To be honest, I’m sick and tired of refs like Mike Dean thinking the game is about him. I’m not saying let them sod off and ref in Europe, but have a cycle where they do all top leagues.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 12:09 - Jul 7 with 2602 views80s_Boy

It has been and I'd also add how different the use of VAR has been throughout the tournament compared to in the Premier League.

I'm still very against the us of video technology and will never stop believing that mistakes/oversights happen and people should be used to them by now, but if we are going to use VAR it needs to be as non-intrusive as it has been over the last 3 weeks.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 12:44 - Jul 7 with 2527 viewsloftboy

Completely agree about the referees, not sure how the leagues they ref in now would feel about it though.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 12:51 - Jul 7 with 2523 viewsNorthernr

Famous last words, but it's been absolutely superb. Near faultless. Even the VAR hasn't been that obtrusive. Couple of debatable 'modern' reds, and I don't like the change to offside to accomodate the VAR but that's it. I think it's also been noticeable that the poorer refereed games in this league have been the ones done, or VARd, by the Premier League officials.

Thing is, it doesn't seem to be a lot of rocket science, just what a lot of people have been saying for a long time. Relaxed, light touch, don't get involved unless you have to.

- Not every piece of contact is a foul, if we can play on we should. Stop awarding the shtty little stuff and watch the play acting dry up.

- Not every foul is a yellow card.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:05 - Jul 7 with 2491 viewsLongsufferingR

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 12:51 - Jul 7 by Northernr

Famous last words, but it's been absolutely superb. Near faultless. Even the VAR hasn't been that obtrusive. Couple of debatable 'modern' reds, and I don't like the change to offside to accomodate the VAR but that's it. I think it's also been noticeable that the poorer refereed games in this league have been the ones done, or VARd, by the Premier League officials.

Thing is, it doesn't seem to be a lot of rocket science, just what a lot of people have been saying for a long time. Relaxed, light touch, don't get involved unless you have to.

- Not every piece of contact is a foul, if we can play on we should. Stop awarding the shtty little stuff and watch the play acting dry up.

yup, can't help thinking that last night when the ball hit Chiellini's hand while he was on the floor, VAR in PL would have called it back for a pen two minutes later having watched it 439 times. Ref didn't give it, play on, no complaints from Spain.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:13 - Jul 7 with 2459 viewsfrancisbowles

Whilst I agree with everything you have said, I do feel this German referee is very slow to get his yellow card out. Italy have got away with a lot. I thought a couple should have been booked in the first half particularly the right back.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:16 - Jul 7 with 2453 viewsNorthernr

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:13 - Jul 7 by francisbowles

Whilst I agree with everything you have said, I do feel this German referee is very slow to get his yellow card out. Italy have got away with a lot. I thought a couple should have been booked in the first half particularly the right back.

There was a deliberate check on a bloke who'd burst over the halfway line into space on a counter, I thought that was a yellow. But you'd rather it this way right?
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:26 - Jul 7 with 2417 viewsrrrspricey

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:16 - Jul 7 by Northernr

There was a deliberate check on a bloke who'd burst over the halfway line into space on a counter, I thought that was a yellow. But you'd rather it this way right?

I think we all would Clive but players still need to be punished or dirty little fcukers like Phillips will get away with murder (like he has so far this tournament)
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:34 - Jul 7 with 2405 viewsfrancisbowles

I know what you mean but I would rather repeat or cynical offenders got a card early on so that they have to behave for more of the game.

I thought the right back was both of these last night and we had Danny Murphy, who I like, saying nothing wrong with that etc. At one point, after he had committed earlier fouls, he had two hacks in the one incident and still only a free kick was given.

I did like the way this ref played advantage though. Bit like the Aussie we had in the Champ last year. Waited to see if an advantage occurred and called the original foul if it didn't.
Login to get fewer ads

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:37 - Jul 7 with 2257 viewsterryb

I think that the two English referees improved greatly as the competition went on.

They showed how they could control matches in the Premier IF their bosses allowed them to. This was an eye opener to me as I didn't realise they were as good as they showed. Taylor, after his dreadful start to the Denmark Finland game, looked far better in his next appointment.

The problem in this country is the management of PGMOL & how they appear to believe themselves superior to the rest of the world. Who would have believed that Mike Riley was even worse in management than he was as a referee!
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:39 - Jul 7 with 2252 viewsdanehoop

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:37 - Jul 7 by terryb

I think that the two English referees improved greatly as the competition went on.

They showed how they could control matches in the Premier IF their bosses allowed them to. This was an eye opener to me as I didn't realise they were as good as they showed. Taylor, after his dreadful start to the Denmark Finland game, looked far better in his next appointment.

The problem in this country is the management of PGMOL & how they appear to believe themselves superior to the rest of the world. Who would have believed that Mike Riley was even worse in management than he was as a referee!

On your last point, there was no reason to think otherwise..

Never knowingly understood

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:41 - Jul 7 with 2249 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:05 - Jul 7 by LongsufferingR

yup, can't help thinking that last night when the ball hit Chiellini's hand while he was on the floor, VAR in PL would have called it back for a pen two minutes later having watched it 439 times. Ref didn't give it, play on, no complaints from Spain.

Last season yes, this season with new handball law, its not a pen.

Mentioned it before, something that I haven't heard mentioned by any commentator.

There WILL be less handballs in PL and the EFL next season as a result.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:44 - Jul 7 with 2240 viewsPinnerPaul

Yep thought he did 'miss' a couple of yellows and hated the fact he NEVER used the advantage signal, so you didn't know if it was advantage or just no foul - but they are minor, niggly criticisms.

As Clive has said re player recruitment and coaching - what do I know, never been near a professional game, let alone an international in my life - but do agree with Clive, this light touch, by both the on field ref and the VAR is so much better than the 'norm'.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:45 - Jul 7 with 2237 viewsNorthernr

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:41 - Jul 7 by PinnerPaul

Last season yes, this season with new handball law, its not a pen.

Mentioned it before, something that I haven't heard mentioned by any commentator.

There WILL be less handballs in PL and the EFL next season as a result.

I did read/hear somebody say nearer the start of the tournament that the reason you were seeing Spanish and Italian players absolutely incredulous at certain handball penalty appeals being waved away is these have been stick on penalties in their domestic leagues for a few years where they've tried the nonsense approach of removing intent or referee discretion and just said if it hits your hand it's a penalty.

I notice Dale Johnson, the ESPN digital guy who basically martyrs himself on social media as the defender of the indefensible when it comes to VAR (if you think it's terrible, he thinks it's wonderful, and vice versa) has been losing his sht at how long it's taking them to show the viewers at home THE LINES in the offside decisions they're making. Nine minutes in one of the group games, apparently, he timed it. Completely missing the point they reached the actual decision in about 20 seconds and the game just carried on with everybody accepting the decision, and then they stuck the diagram up later in a break in play. Personally quite enjoying not spending three minutes after every goal watching somebody draw a line down from somebody's armpit on Microsoft Paint.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:47 - Jul 7 with 2223 viewsnix

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:13 - Jul 7 by francisbowles

I agree with you Francis, I thought he was too lenient on several blatant rugby tackles with no attempt at all to play the ball by the Italians that should have been yellows in my view. The fact they weren't meant they just kept doing it.

Sometimes free kicks just aren't sufficient punishment as they're obviously more comfortable defending free kicks than being run at.

Having said that I'm glad they ignore the diving and nothing contact that would be fouls in the EPL and EFL.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2021 16:48]
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:49 - Jul 7 with 2221 viewsNorthernr

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:37 - Jul 7 by terryb

TBF I always thought Mike Riley was one of the worst referees we had, consistently, over many, many years, and he's now in charge. Maybe this is an issue. It's the same in rugby league, Steve Ganson was that lethal combination of Mike Dean levels of arrogance and attention seeking with Trevor Kettle levels of incompetence and he's now head of the referees there.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:49 - Jul 7 with 2220 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:45 - Jul 7 by Northernr

I did read/hear somebody say nearer the start of the tournament that the reason you were seeing Spanish and Italian players absolutely incredulous at certain handball penalty appeals being waved away is these have been stick on penalties in their domestic leagues for a few years where they've tried the nonsense approach of removing intent or referee discretion and just said if it hits your hand it's a penalty.

I notice Dale Johnson, the ESPN digital guy who basically martyrs himself on social media as the defender of the indefensible when it comes to VAR (if you think it's terrible, he thinks it's wonderful, and vice versa) has been losing his sht at how long it's taking them to show the viewers at home THE LINES in the offside decisions they're making. Nine minutes in one of the group games, apparently, he timed it. Completely missing the point they reached the actual decision in about 20 seconds and the game just carried on with everybody accepting the decision, and then they stuck the diagram up later in a break in play. Personally quite enjoying not spending three minutes after every goal watching somebody draw a line down from somebody's armpit on Microsoft Paint.

Yep, totally agree.

PGMOL's genius idea next season is "thicker lines"
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:56 - Jul 7 with 2191 viewsNorthernr

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:49 - Jul 7 by PinnerPaul

Yep, totally agree.

Whatever they're doing in this tournament, just do that. Ditch this idea that we know better than Johnny Foreigner, the Premier League application of VAR has been farcical.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 17:12 - Jul 7 with 2167 viewsLongsufferingR

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 16:49 - Jul 7 by PinnerPaul

Yep, totally agree.

Are you sure it wasn't "thicker refs"?
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 17:37 - Jul 7 with 2115 viewsgazza1

Refs and Lino's have been good......or is it that we, in this country, have seen some horrid stuff over the past couple of years and our expectations/standards are low.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 12:59 - Jul 8 with 1950 viewsTheChef

Of course no sooner was this posted than we had last night one of the worst ref performances of the tournament.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 13:13 - Jul 8 with 1918 viewsStanisgod

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 12:59 - Jul 8 by TheChef

Of course no sooner was this posted than we had last night one of the worst ref performances of the tournament.

The worst by far, even the VAR managed to get the two penalty shouts the wrong round.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 14:45 - Jul 8 with 1814 viewsDavieQPR

I think we got the second because he realised he made a mistake on the first appeal. On the whole the Refs are using VAR to assist them rather than the other way round.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 14:56 - Jul 8 with 1791 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 12:59 - Jul 8 by TheChef

What?!!!!

Both could have gone either way - they are subjective decisions, no 'right' or wrong'

Kane's 'penalty' - he did actually kick the Dane's defender's leg first - brilliant spot that I thought.

Sterling actually had 3 contacts, first a trip he recovered from, then a touch on his left ankle and finally a thigh to thigh contact - enough there for a pen for me and certainly not a "clear and obvious error" for VAR to over turn.

DID think that a Dane defender got away with a blatant shirt pull - yellow there I thought and the one of the Danish subs harshly given a yellow for nothing much late on.

Maguire's yellow looked a little harsh at first, but apparently teams were warned pre tournament that these type of challenges would be yellow - so he can't really moan.

Thought the ref had a good game, very calm and , as above, let the game flow when he could.
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 14:57 - Jul 8 with 1787 viewsPinnerPaul

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 14:45 - Jul 8 by DavieQPR

I think we got the second because he realised he made a mistake on the first appeal. On the whole the Refs are using VAR to assist them rather than the other way round.

Erm, which is what they are supposed to do - that's what the A in VAR stands for after all!
Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 22:14 - Jul 8 with 1685 viewsLongsufferingR

Great refereeing in the Euro’s. on 14:56 - Jul 8 by PinnerPaul

What?!!!!

Both could have gone either way - they are subjective decisions, no 'right' or wrong'

Kane's 'penalty' - he did actually kick the Dane's defender's leg first - brilliant spot that I thought.

Sterling actually had 3 contacts, first a trip he recovered from, then a touch on his left ankle and finally a thigh to thigh contact - enough there for a pen for me and certainly not a "clear and obvious error" for VAR to over turn.

DID think that a Dane defender got away with a blatant shirt pull - yellow there I thought and the one of the Danish subs harshly given a yellow for nothing much late on.

Maguire's yellow looked a little harsh at first, but apparently teams were warned pre tournament that these type of challenges would be yellow - so he can't really moan.

Thought the ref had a good game, very calm and , as above, let the game flow when he could.

Agree with all of that. Supporters of one of the teams involved are probably not always the most objective!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024