Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The best and worse of the area you live in. 20:29 - Jul 17 with 16720 viewsqpr_1968

Shepherds bush.

BEST...Qpr, food shops to eat from all over the world. The askew.
WORST.....Traffic, and the extortianate parking charges.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 11:47 - Jul 18 with 3026 viewsderbyhoop

Haute-Vienne, Limousin

BEST
Peace and tranquiity. QPR+
WORST
Every thing is 20kms away, except for local shops, which tend to be expensive. Can only get to 1/2 games per season. NONE at the moment.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:44 - Jul 18 with 2946 viewscharmr

Baltimore

Best. Cool neighborhoods with a European vibe, restaurants , bars, music, Seen some major acts here in smallish places, walk to plenty of places, I live next to Patterson park which is in the top ten parks in the US, cool art scene, quirky as fcuk things like the sculpture race, somewhat liberal with an acceptance of differences that isn’t there only a few miles outside in the county. City with its fair share of misfits and affordable. BA fly to LHR direct from BWI airport, thinking of Air Canada though next time as BA seem to be doing their best to become the new Ryan Air.

Worst. Sadly crime is always on the radar and sub consciously having to keep an eye out and checking over your shoulder. I95 freeway Commute and known as the angry road, it’s all about me driving and being in a nascar race mentality trying to force you off the road. The law here is also to take the bulbs out of the indicators. And what every politician never talks about until of late the infrastructure. Literally years of neglect and the roads are horrible with massive holes in them. Not just where I am all over the US. Had to downsize my wheels on the gti due to my back begging for some relief and regularly getting the car an alignment.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 12:56]
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 12:55 - Jul 18 with 2890 viewsSheffieldHoop

Glebe Estate, West Drayton
Best - Fastest Internet connection I've ever had, close to Heathrow (When traveling was a thing) and generally good transport links, being close enough to Harlington to go watch the u23s sometimes has been good since lockdown.

Worst - Noise and pollution from Airport and Motorways, industrial levels of fly-tipping, a general level of anomie that surprised me even though I moved here from another estate in Thronton Heath and was pretty used to it.

Local MP is Scouser John McDonnell for reasons I've not bothered to look into. Does seem an odd choice for Hayes & Harlington, though.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 13:29 - Jul 18 with 2854 viewsonlyrinmoray

Elgin. Scotland
Best lovely scenery near to the beach low crime rate Distilleries heaps of them the most in Scotland Good golf courses NHS service good long way to go if complications having a baby though. Scottish Parliament

Worst High street is depressing choice of shops rubbish Pubs rubbish can’t beat an English one Pay levels are poor Long way from Shepherds Bush though

Better than Northolt though
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 13:32 - Jul 18 with 2853 viewsMick_S

Sheffield - we are almost neighbours!

Hillingdon. Best thing is the sense of community revolving around the local cricket club. People in there have each other’s bank details on their phones to help out when necessary - complete trust. House sitting when people go on holiday etc. Our borough is the second largest in London and is very green compared to the rest of Town.

Worst. Traffic and traffic lights. Could be a lot worse.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 14:21]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 14:22 - Jul 18 with 2792 viewsLogman

Currently living in Clapham:

Best - The Common for keeping fit/stress relief
Worst - Image is too important and a lot of people aspire to the same way of life.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 14:51 - Jul 18 with 2758 viewsloftboy

Lowestoft, best the beach, 4 minute walk from house
Worst, parts very run down and in need of regen

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 15:50 - Jul 18 with 2688 viewsqprxtc

North Kensington

Best - The Pav is ten minutes walk away.

Worst - it takes ten minutes to walk to The Pav.
Login to get fewer ads

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 16:22 - Jul 18 with 2623 viewsstowmarketrange

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 15:50 - Jul 18 by qprxtc

North Kensington

Best - The Pav is ten minutes walk away.

Worst - it takes ten minutes to walk to The Pav.

How long does it take to walk home from the pav?Or have you never timed it?
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 16:40 - Jul 18 with 2589 viewsozranger

Lewisham (Blackheath side) although we will be moving in the next year and am taking notes here

Good. The heath, Greenwich Park, ten minutes from London Bridge and about 20 from town. Lewisham markets.

Bad. Police sirens howling constantly given the biggest suburban station in the UK and possibly Europe is close by, though some only so they can make it back to the station for lunch or tea. Traffic around Lewisham. Not really any decent pubs nearby except one rather well hidden away.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 18:51 - Jul 18 with 2456 viewsLogman

From experience police sirens howling is normal for all of London. Certainly it has been the case in the last three places I have lived (Tooting, Wandsworth and Clapham). So much so that I have had people on the phone asking 'what the hell is going on there ?' when they have called up. To which I sadly reply 'Nothing, just a usual day'.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 19:14 - Jul 18 with 2407 viewsLoftusR

Crouch End

Best - good sense of community. Families tend to locate here so are open joining in stuff especially related to schools.Made some really good friends over the years. The area is really green, not only Ally Pally but Queens Wood and Highgate Wood. Good range of restaurants and pubs.

Worst - as I have three teenage kids the worst elements are the the potential drugs and gang issues. Very little police on the streets to discourage open dealing. On occasions having to go to Wood Green🙄
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 19:14 - Jul 18 with 2405 viewsBlackCrowe

Kingston Upon Thames.

Best: Glorious stretch of the river, Richmond Park, 10 mins to Richmond, 30 mins to Central London, 30 mins to Heathrow, 25 mins to W12, v good schools.

Worst: Hate the town centre, bland restaurants, sh!t council.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 20:59 - Jul 18 with 2240 viewsqueensparker

Kensal Green.

Best: still a proper community round here, can’t walk to the end of the road without a chat with anyone from an octogenarian Jamaican veteran to a young family who’ve just moved in to an Irish fella who’s kids have flown the coop. It’s changing as the house values go insane but still the best area I’ve lived in London for neighbours. Everyone genuinely looks out for each other. I can walk to Rangers. I’m the third generation of my family now to live in west London as I come from the 40s/50s Irish invasion and I still have real pride in keeping that going. 4 and 6 year old kids have a top school round the corner which I give thanks for every day. So many amazing parks, food, sports clubs, music and interesting stuff within walking distance. It’s London.

Worst: House is tiny for all of us with barely a garden and We have f all chance of getting a bigger one unless an unlikely financial windfall hits or we join the flight to the middle of nowhere. I hate what property prices are doing to London communities. Kids are small now but tbh not sure how I’ll feel about them walking about as teenagers in ten years - stabbing and gangs are on the doorstep. Council are sh-t, rubbish everywhere, pollution and traffic is getting worse.

To leave or not to leave? Seems like anyone who grew up as kid in London faces the choice but I can’t see myself anywhere else.
The best and worse of the area you live in. (n/t) on 21:02 - Jul 18 with 2227 viewsjoe90

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 19:14 - Jul 18 by BlackCrowe

Kingston Upon Thames.

Best: Glorious stretch of the river, Richmond Park, 10 mins to Richmond, 30 mins to Central London, 30 mins to Heathrow, 25 mins to W12, v good schools.

I went to the Art School in Kingston had a great time. There were a few good record shops and pubs. Also went to some good gigs at the Peel. I remember it had a seedy strip club in the back.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 22:55]
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:58 - Jul 18 with 2109 viewsjoe90

Lewisham (Ladywell)

Best: Lots of nice parks, family friendly, lovely neighbours, good sense of community, lots of excellent places to eat and drink, museums/galleries/independent cinemas etc

Worst: Gangs/drugs/anti-social behaviour/so many bad drivers.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:59 - Jul 18 with 2103 viewsBoston

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 20:59 - Jul 18 by queensparker

Kensal Green.

Best: still a proper community round here, can’t walk to the end of the road without a chat with anyone from an octogenarian Jamaican veteran to a young family who’ve just moved in to an Irish fella who’s kids have flown the coop. It’s changing as the house values go insane but still the best area I’ve lived in London for neighbours. Everyone genuinely looks out for each other. I can walk to Rangers. I’m the third generation of my family now to live in west London as I come from the 40s/50s Irish invasion and I still have real pride in keeping that going. 4 and 6 year old kids have a top school round the corner which I give thanks for every day. So many amazing parks, food, sports clubs, music and interesting stuff within walking distance. It’s London.

Worst: House is tiny for all of us with barely a garden and We have f all chance of getting a bigger one unless an unlikely financial windfall hits or we join the flight to the middle of nowhere. I hate what property prices are doing to London communities. Kids are small now but tbh not sure how I’ll feel about them walking about as teenagers in ten years - stabbing and gangs are on the doorstep. Council are sh-t, rubbish everywhere, pollution and traffic is getting worse.

To leave or not to leave? Seems like anyone who grew up as kid in London faces the choice but I can’t see myself anywhere else.

To be truthful, I find most houses in London are small. It's difficult to determine the boundaries of 'the Kensals'...good mate of mine grew up on Monson Rd, he always called it Harlesden, his neighbours called it Kensal Green.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:11 - Jul 18 with 2090 viewsKonk

Ashton, Bristol BS3

Best: Massively community-minded. Loads of families with young kids, so my son has three of his best mates living within about ten doors of us. Excellent primary schools, good parks, a great high street with brilliant butchers, bakers, green grocers, hardware shop, 2 plastic-free shops, book shop, record shop, delis, toy shop and arty/homeware shops. An Aldi, Co-op, Tesco Metro and massive Sainsbury's all within a 5-10 mins walk. A nice 15 minutes walk through backstreets down to the Harbourside and all the restaurants and bars at Wapping Wharf, 20-25 mins into the commercial centre for gigs, shops, pubs etc.

Loads of good places to eat and drink in and around North Street (our high street. 15 mins walk to Ashton Court - a 900 acre country estate, and then onto Leigh Woods. which is a good spot for mountain biking. I really enjoy being able to see farm land from the end of our street. Upfest - Europe's largest Street art festival means there's some great street art everywhere you look, which brightens the place up. Ashton Gate is 5 mins away, so handy for football or rugby (not that I like rugby, but it's nice to have the option!) Bedminster Cricket club is 10 mins walk away and a lovely setting with views of the Bridge and Clifton. Got a nice old swimming pool and a great skate park at the end of North Street, and a good climbing centre five minute walk away too, so loads for kids to do activity wise. Surprisingly quiet and laid back considering how central we are. Been here almost four years and not seen a single fight or major confrontation yet.

Worst: Tagging - I hate taggers. It's everywhere. Dog shi t, parking and seagulls. Lots of dog shi t and not enough parking/too many cars. For the first week living here, seagulls made me feel like I was on holiday, but now I hate them. Public transport across the whole of Bristol is woeful and really expensive. I will never moan about any aspect of public transport in London again. Probably about a dozen regular street drinkers out of and about in small groups on the main road, whatever the weather, which is very sad to see.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:36 - Jul 18 with 2055 viewsdistortR

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:11 - Jul 18 by Konk

Ashton, Bristol BS3

Best: Massively community-minded. Loads of families with young kids, so my son has three of his best mates living within about ten doors of us. Excellent primary schools, good parks, a great high street with brilliant butchers, bakers, green grocers, hardware shop, 2 plastic-free shops, book shop, record shop, delis, toy shop and arty/homeware shops. An Aldi, Co-op, Tesco Metro and massive Sainsbury's all within a 5-10 mins walk. A nice 15 minutes walk through backstreets down to the Harbourside and all the restaurants and bars at Wapping Wharf, 20-25 mins into the commercial centre for gigs, shops, pubs etc.

Loads of good places to eat and drink in and around North Street (our high street. 15 mins walk to Ashton Court - a 900 acre country estate, and then onto Leigh Woods. which is a good spot for mountain biking. I really enjoy being able to see farm land from the end of our street. Upfest - Europe's largest Street art festival means there's some great street art everywhere you look, which brightens the place up. Ashton Gate is 5 mins away, so handy for football or rugby (not that I like rugby, but it's nice to have the option!) Bedminster Cricket club is 10 mins walk away and a lovely setting with views of the Bridge and Clifton. Got a nice old swimming pool and a great skate park at the end of North Street, and a good climbing centre five minute walk away too, so loads for kids to do activity wise. Surprisingly quiet and laid back considering how central we are. Been here almost four years and not seen a single fight or major confrontation yet.

Worst: Tagging - I hate taggers. It's everywhere. Dog shi t, parking and seagulls. Lots of dog shi t and not enough parking/too many cars. For the first week living here, seagulls made me feel like I was on holiday, but now I hate them. Public transport across the whole of Bristol is woeful and really expensive. I will never moan about any aspect of public transport in London again. Probably about a dozen regular street drinkers out of and about in small groups on the main road, whatever the weather, which is very sad to see.

you've sold me on Bristol, Konk. And if I move over, it should push the seagulls down the, ahem, pecking order.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:45 - Jul 18 with 2046 viewsqueensparker

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:59 - Jul 18 by Boston

To be truthful, I find most houses in London are small. It's difficult to determine the boundaries of 'the Kensals'...good mate of mine grew up on Monson Rd, he always called it Harlesden, his neighbours called it Kensal Green.

I’m round the corner from Kensal Green tube so don’t throw me in with those Harlesden scoundrels!

True though, from a US perspective our houses are tiny, all my mates and family in the US live in massive places, but they always seem a bit flimsy to me, like you could punch through any wall. The roads round me were considered proper slum housing back in the 1860s when they were built for the workers building the cemetery and the railways with no plumbing and they’re still standing proud and looking good, don’t reckon many of the shitty overpriced glass towers that are going up round here these days will be able to say the same thing.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:56 - Jul 18 with 2035 viewsloftboy

On Lowestoft I would also add that it’s stuck in the 80’s, many cafes and shops still don’t take card payment!
Also today the mrs (half Indian) heard two lads say they were going to the “paki shop” upset her quite a bit as she hadn’t beardy that sort of language since she was at school.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 23:46 - Jul 18 with 2001 viewsitsbiga

Los Angeles
Best - Everything but the worst. Its an amazing city.
Worst - Gun Crime. I don't mind the gangs (that's city life) just wish the guns would sod off.
Oh and cops. LAPD are awful, even if you're a victim of crime they treat you like
sh1t.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 23:47]

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 08:30 - Jul 19 with 1829 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Purley, Surrey

Best - proximity to everything- London, Airports, Coast and countryside, lots of good restaurants nearby, lots of good schools, lovely local bunch of fellow QPR lads

Worst - proximity to the much maligned Croydon
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 08:44 - Jul 19 with 1812 viewsstowmarketrange

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 19:14 - Jul 18 by BlackCrowe

Kingston Upon Thames.

When I used to live in Roehampton we used to get the 85 bus to Kingston for a day out,which normally involved a meal in the Wimpey bar.Is it still there?
And Richmond Park was a great place to explore.We used to spend most of the summer holidays walking around there.Great times.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 08:50 - Jul 19 with 1807 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Small village outside London:

Pro: Nice and quiet
Con: Too quiet
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024