Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gunnersbury park 21:30 - Jul 28 with 3045 viewsstowmarketrange

My grandson is playing for the Ipswich town academy team tomorrow in a mini tournament against Brentford and Juventus.He is only 12,so would there be an U13 academy team at most clubs,or do they do it 2 year age groups,as in U12 and U14?
Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow night,so I can’t go along and watch him play,but with him being a keeper who has just moved to regular size goals for small ones,I think he will struggle a bit.
Was Gunnersbury park our old training ground,or am I mixing it up with another site?And are Brentford’s kids any good?Our usual bees lurkers will no doubt be posting soon about how they win the World Cup for England in 2028.
Gunnersbury park on 21:46 - Jul 28 with 2641 viewsMyke

Best of luck to your grandson. Main thing he enjoys it
Gunnersbury park on 21:51 - Jul 28 with 2631 viewsMick_S

Can’t help you Stow. Everyone around here that played will have a GP story. We were in the east end for a Saturday party with people we met in Corfu, many years ago. We were so done the next day none of us could find Gunnersbury Park, which must take some doing. Team mates not believing us or impressed. Just couldn’t find the massive park.

Good luck to your grandson.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Gunnersbury park on 22:10 - Jul 28 with 2571 viewsgobbles

Gunnersbury Park was never our training ground. They have always had sports pitches there, but it has just been completely rebuilt as a hi-tech sports hub
Gunnersbury park on 22:22 - Jul 28 with 2504 viewsBoston

Gunnersbury park on 22:10 - Jul 28 by gobbles

Gunnersbury Park was never our training ground. They have always had sports pitches there, but it has just been completely rebuilt as a hi-tech sports hub

Surprised Arsenal never made an offer.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Gunnersbury park on 22:25 - Jul 28 with 2489 viewsstowmarketrange

Gunnersbury park on 22:10 - Jul 28 by gobbles

No crested newts to get in the way of the rebuilding then
Gunnersbury park on 23:07 - Jul 28 with 2399 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think the London Underground used to have sports and social facilities there before selling it off after the KX fire.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 23:38]
Gunnersbury park on 23:33 - Jul 28 with 2352 viewsBrazilNutR

Used to enjoy a game of pitch and put in Gunnersbury park quite regularly... does that still exist, must be at least 16 since the last time I was there
Gunnersbury park on 07:16 - Jul 29 with 2177 viewsgazza1

Brentford trained at Gunnersbury Park back in the 1960's.......

Normally the children would play in their own age groups, not 12-14 year olds together, for example, but there may be an 11 year old playing for the U12 year because he is big, stong and good enough to compete with older boys.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 7:17]
Login to get fewer ads

Gunnersbury park on 07:31 - Jul 29 with 2144 viewsozexile

Gunnersbury park on 23:33 - Jul 28 by BrazilNutR

Used to enjoy a game of pitch and put in Gunnersbury park quite regularly... does that still exist, must be at least 16 since the last time I was there

My mate got a hole in one there. One school summer holiday I spent a ridiculous amount of time at that pitch and putt! 267 to the fountain and walk up the road.
Gunnersbury park on 07:36 - Jul 29 with 2135 viewsderbyhoop

Played many a game at GP for Old Actonians. Never got higher than 3rd XI, so home games were always on GP. I hope the dressing rooms and showers are better than they were r5 years ago.

Went to Gunnersbury school, so all junior rugby was also on GP.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Gunnersbury park on 08:03 - Jul 29 with 2105 viewsozexile

Gunnersbury park on 07:36 - Jul 29 by derbyhoop

Played many a game at GP for Old Actonians. Never got higher than 3rd XI, so home games were always on GP. I hope the dressing rooms and showers are better than they were r5 years ago.

I was 1 year too late. My first year at Gunnersbury was the first year everything moved to Boston Manor site. So all our Rugby was at Boston Manor playing fields.
Gunnersbury park on 08:33 - Jul 29 with 2054 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Gunnersbury park on 23:33 - Jul 28 by BrazilNutR

Pitch and putt has gone now. I think they were in the plans to relocate it in future but I'm not sure.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Gunnersbury park on 09:14 - Jul 29 with 1959 viewsfrancisbowles

Gunnersbury park on 23:07 - Jul 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think the London Underground used to have sports and social facilities there before selling it off after the KX fire.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 23:38]

London Transport used to have facilities including a grass athletics track close by. They were on the other side of Gunnersbury Ave (the North Circular) behind a couple of streets of houses and close to the tracks by Acton Town.
Gunnersbury park on 09:37 - Jul 29 with 1927 viewsMrSheen

I played a season for Old Actonians 3rd XV, with our home games in the park. We’d have to climb over the gate to get to training.

I was a St Benedict’s boy, Gunnersbury was THE game, last one of the season, kept everyone working hard through the winter as no-one wanted to miss it. Used to get medieval out there.

How did Ipswich get on?
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 9:38]
Gunnersbury park on 10:02 - Jul 29 with 1868 views80s_Boy

Good luck to your Grandson today, Sheen, you must be very proud of him.
Gunnersbury park on 10:33 - Jul 29 with 1812 viewsqueensparker

Played plenty of cricket, football, golf and tennis over the years in Gunnersbury Park!

The cricket pitch has gone (and the pavilion looks like it’s burned down as well), the old changing rooms are derelict, pitch and putt is now a wilded walking area, old tennis courts have weeds on them, can’t go rowing in the pond anymore, a few years ago was getting really angry about the neglect, but fair play the new facilities are now finally opening up and they look very snazzy indeed.

Good luck to your grandson mate.
Gunnersbury park on 11:25 - Jul 29 with 1754 viewshantssi

Played there many a time on a Saturday against Actonians, not sure if any other Old Boys teams played there?
I played for Old Manorians.
Gunnersbury park on 12:13 - Jul 29 with 1704 viewsMrSheen

Gunnersbury park on 10:02 - Jul 29 by 80s_Boy

Good luck to your Grandson today, Sheen, you must be very proud of him.

Not mine guv! Stowmarket’s.
Gunnersbury park on 14:10 - Jul 29 with 1638 viewsbermudabob

Brentford don't have an academy. My son is U12 plays in the QPR set up. Half of his Sunday team play in the Brentford A development team. I'd say the standard is pretty mixed, way short of academy level
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 14:11]
Gunnersbury park on 21:52 - Jul 29 with 1465 viewsstowmarketrange

Thanks for all the good wishes.His ipswich team won 4 and drew 1 game today,but I don’t know if they lost any,but it included 3-2 wins against Brentford and Juventus.
I will have to stop his pocket money for letting in 2 against Brentford,but he had a good day and enjoyed it all.
Gunnersbury park on 09:45 - Jul 30 with 1193 viewsMyke

Gunnersbury park on 21:52 - Jul 29 by stowmarketrange

Thanks for all the good wishes.His ipswich team won 4 and drew 1 game today,but I don’t know if they lost any,but it included 3-2 wins against Brentford and Juventus.
I will have to stop his pocket money for letting in 2 against Brentford,but he had a good day and enjoyed it all.

Excellent well done your grandson in 'big' goals. Maybe we could swap him with Bonne - you can never have too many keepers!
Gunnersbury park on 09:46 - Jul 30 with 1191 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Juventus!

Wow, that's impressive.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gunnersbury park on 09:52 - Jul 30 with 1178 views80s_Boy

Gunnersbury park on 12:13 - Jul 29 by MrSheen

Not mine guv! Stowmarket’s.

Oops, Sorry Sheen and Stowmarket!

You what they say about us men and multi-tasking!
Gunnersbury park on 13:30 - Jul 30 with 1072 viewsbaldyoldgit

I used to go to school there too 78 to 85. spent many an unhappy Monday morning doing cross-country running round GP. forgotten about the cold shower changies too.

grim.
Gunnersbury park on 13:55 - Jul 30 with 1057 viewsstowmarketrange

Apparently it was 3-2 against Juve and a 5-0 win against Brentford,or is he just saying that to keep his pocket money?And they won the mini tournament too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024