Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Away Form 06:50 - Aug 15 with 2978 viewsNorthantsHoop

One of the major improvements under Mark Warburton's reign has been our away form. We look a tough outfit to beat and in the last 2 seasons have been winning or drawing at places where we used to get rolled over easily. Tough game at Boro on Wednesday, but in the last 2 seasons have beaten them there, although without fans. Interesting to see if fans in the ground will have an impact on us getting a result.
Away Form on 17:21 - Aug 15 with 2683 viewsMyke

We have become more resilient under Warburton and even when we were conceding a lot of goals 2 seasons ago, we were rarely beaten heavily in any individual game. Now that we have tightened up considerably while having a potent attacking force, we should give most teams a run for their money.
The presence of fans may inspire home teams or it may have the opposite effect if they get off to a poor start. A pattern should start to emerge after the first 7/8 games.
Away Form on 17:33 - Aug 15 with 2647 viewsnumptydumpty

We are a much better team and squad than pre Warburton.
All players and crucially even those onthe fringes are buying into the philosophy.

Whether we maintain our impressive away form, thin, there was a general improvement in away forms of most teams due to covid preventing attendances.

But absolutely this game was severely encouraging.

Stupid me !!!

I am excited 😆

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Away Form on 17:46 - Aug 15 with 2618 viewsBoston

Boro fans get on their teams backs the minute anything goes wrong.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Away Form on 08:01 - Aug 16 with 2434 viewsGaryBannisterswedge

I was discussing this with a pal after Saturday, I think we are set up as an away team now, home teams are expected to come out and play which opens the pitch up for our wing backs to go marauding, plus the “bigger” pitches suit out passing game and Warbs ball. I think we are going to have some great away days and some nail biters at home as teams sit back with 11 behind the ball. I do really think we are on the cusp of something special this season..
Away Form on 08:14 - Aug 16 with 2405 viewsHooparoo

Away Form on 08:01 - Aug 16 by GaryBannisterswedge

I was discussing this with a pal after Saturday, I think we are set up as an away team now, home teams are expected to come out and play which opens the pitch up for our wing backs to go marauding, plus the “bigger” pitches suit out passing game and Warbs ball. I think we are going to have some great away days and some nail biters at home as teams sit back with 11 behind the ball. I do really think we are on the cusp of something special this season..

I agree mate. It does feel like something special is happening as if we finally have the mix right.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Away Form on 09:10 - Aug 16 with 2308 viewsdavman

Agree on the formation. We struggle with players behind the ball combined with a deep press, which some teams will come to the KPF to do. Away from homes, the oppo HAVE to open up, which plays to our style.

Can't close a 1-0 though - generally need a second!

I am taking this season game by game. The squad fragility worries me; long term recurrent injuries could (literally) knacker this squad. And judging by the difference with and without Illias, the ACN can do one. If he and Seny do go, we will be weaker for a month or two. Oh, and Ozzie will be off too...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Away Form on 10:33 - Aug 16 with 2180 viewsEsox_Lucius

The game at Pride Park should prove interesting as Derby have reduced the width of their pitch in an attempt to reduce the space teams have to play against them.

The grass is always greener.

Away Form on 19:29 - Aug 16 with 1959 viewsWestonsuperR

Away Form on 09:10 - Aug 16 by davman

Agree on the formation. We struggle with players behind the ball combined with a deep press, which some teams will come to the KPF to do. Away from homes, the oppo HAVE to open up, which plays to our style.

Can't close a 1-0 though - generally need a second!

I am taking this season game by game. The squad fragility worries me; long term recurrent injuries could (literally) knacker this squad. And judging by the difference with and without Illias, the ACN can do one. If he and Seny do go, we will be weaker for a month or two. Oh, and Ozzie will be off too...

My only real worry is upfront, Austin injured already and looked poor vs Millwall, not convinced Dykes is enough to get us a top 6 finish so we look light in that area.
Login to get fewer ads

Away Form on 20:37 - Aug 16 with 1891 viewssaxbend

Away Form on 19:29 - Aug 16 by WestonsuperR

My only real worry is upfront, Austin injured already and looked poor vs Millwall, not convinced Dykes is enough to get us a top 6 finish so we look light in that area.

Just think about what they achieved last season. There's no reason to believe that is lost and gone.
Away Form on 20:47 - Aug 16 with 1871 viewsManinBlack

I would tend to agree that we may rely on the team sharing the goals as I have my doubts the front two will be prolific like people like Toney, Pukki and the like. We do look short of strikers if both get fitness issues.

As for the away form another factor to consider is lack of home crowds not influencing the match officials. We have all come across homer officials reacting to the crowd and bottling it for the away side or giving dubious decisions to the home team when their crowd screams for everything. Refs could freely give the right decisions last season with no pressure from fans with touchline abuse.

I suspect most teams will get back to normal with better home records this season. I can't see Liverpool losing so many home games again or Manchester City having three penalties awarded against them at home in one game again even with VAR.
Away Form on 22:13 - Aug 16 with 1802 viewsDavieQPR

Austin and Dykes scored 21 goals between them last season and that includes penalties. The rest of the team weighed in with 36. So we are capable of scoring from all over the pitch. Maybe my only criticism of Dieng, he doesn't score .
Away Form on 05:16 - Aug 17 with 1712 viewsstowmarketrange

Away Form on 10:33 - Aug 16 by Esox_Lucius

The game at Pride Park should prove interesting as Derby have reduced the width of their pitch in an attempt to reduce the space teams have to play against them.

They haven’t resorted to selling bits of the pitch now as well as the stadium?What is the going rate for two strips of grass either side of the pitch?It must be a few million £’s surely.
Away Form on 07:26 - Aug 17 with 1670 viewsnix

Away Form on 22:13 - Aug 16 by DavieQPR

Austin and Dykes scored 21 goals between them last season and that includes penalties. The rest of the team weighed in with 36. So we are capable of scoring from all over the pitch. Maybe my only criticism of Dieng, he doesn't score .

Mind you Austin only played half the season for us. If he could weigh in with fifteen this season, our defence keeps its form, Willock and Chair will score a few, and Dickie continues his one-man domination of the division, we could be okay.

Even in our Championship winning season our top two goal scorers (Taarabt and Helguson) only got 32 between them, and we're realistically looking at play offs not top two this season. But we've got a lot of goals throughout the team. I think this team can do that too.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 10:21]
Away Form on 09:37 - Aug 17 with 1546 viewsMyke

Away Form on 07:26 - Aug 17 by nix

Mind you Austin only played half the season for us. If he could weigh in with fifteen this season, our defence keeps its form, Willock and Chair will score a few, and Dickie continues his one-man domination of the division, we could be okay.

Even in our Championship winning season our top two goal scorers (Taarabt and Helguson) only got 32 between them, and we're realistically looking at play offs not top two this season. But we've got a lot of goals throughout the team. I think this team can do that too.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 10:21]

Good point on Taarabt and Helguson and that included penalties too - my recollection is that they took turns taking them. I think both Austin and Dykes (if they stay fit) can score 20/25 goals between them. It is not unreasonable to expect Chair to weigh in with 10 based on last season and Willock should do the same. Jojo scored 4 in half a season, so again, 7 or 8 should be doable. Dickie is off to a flyer already and could come close to double figures too. Overall, north of 60 goals is achievable, and as you say, if our defence remains as stringent as last season, we might have a healthy plus goal difference for a change.
Away Form on 10:17 - Aug 17 with 1507 viewsrobith

I looked at away form since our last promotion season

Warb's first season had a similar number of games with an away points return, but flipped the ratio of wins and draws. we only won one away game post covid disruption too, so take that off and it's still the best away wins return since we came back down. He then built on that in his second season.

I know the margins look fine, like one extra win or draw per season - but 3 more points last year and we finish 7th
Away Form on 10:37 - Aug 17 with 1468 viewsMyke

Away Form on 10:17 - Aug 17 by robith

I looked at away form since our last promotion season

Warb's first season had a similar number of games with an away points return, but flipped the ratio of wins and draws. we only won one away game post covid disruption too, so take that off and it's still the best away wins return since we came back down. He then built on that in his second season.

I know the margins look fine, like one extra win or draw per season - but 3 more points last year and we finish 7th

Good chart - very clear. What's most significant is our gradual but definite improvement over the past two years. Add on another win or a few more draws - any team that can garner 35 -40 points away should be in a play-off mix, provided their home form holds up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024