Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lee Hoos — Patreon 09:07 - Sep 8 with 9401 viewsNorthernr

Interview now up on the front page in written form, and on the Patreon in audio form - though as ever at Loftus Road we've struggled with the background inteference on the recording so I apologise in advance for the ropey quality of the recording. Hopefully you'll enjoy the nostalgia of AM radio and it won't ruin it for you too much.

I guess the big headline from it all is the secretary of state has signed off on the new training ground.

Tried to raise as many of your points as possible... Apologies if I didn't get to it all.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/55699
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 06:01 - Sep 9 with 2317 viewsnadera78

If you're going to sell beer out of a can, which it seems they currently are doing, you might as well put a load of vending machines all around the ground. They take up less space, you don't need any staff, and you can do it so there is an age restriction in place. It would free up the current outlets for other things, either food only or more toilets.

Here in Singapore, you can buy absolutely anything from a vending machine - even frozen salmon which is just downright weird.
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 07:06 - Sep 9 with 2272 viewsnadera78

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 22:13 - Sep 8 by rsonist

Insofar as it pertains specifically to their 14/15 season I believe the Burnley model being referenced is "trouser the money and yo-yo".

I'd be perfectly happy - in fact probably more than that - if we got promotion and the club said "we get £100m just for being in the PL for one year, we're going to take that money and use it for X that will generate revenue for the club".

That could mean buying a plot of land to build flats on that the club owns and rents, or an Aussie style Leagues Club, or it could mean putting it to one side for the new stadium. Whatever, do something with it other than simply paying transfer fees and player wages for a short term hit. We can't afford to blow another opportunity to set the club up properly, we did that 10 years ago and 25 years ago. Take the money and build something sustainable.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2021 7:10]
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 09:06 - Sep 9 with 2161 viewsjoe90

re the food situation. There's no excuse for the poor quality food we serve. It is possible to serve better quality beer and snacks. However, I think people need to be realistic about what can be delivered at football ground like Loftus Road. As some have already mentioned, I don't understand why people are so keen to squeeze in a half time beer?
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 09:20 - Sep 9 with 2143 viewskernowhoop

A great interview. Thank you very much. Apart from the many football issues, I also took away from it the wider issue of the shortage of personnel - club stewards, the catering outlets and the contractors that should be doing the painting. Something is seriously out of kilter and the sooner supply and demand comes closer to equilibrium, the better.
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 09:22 - Sep 9 with 2138 viewsGloryHunter

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 06:01 - Sep 9 by nadera78

If you're going to sell beer out of a can, which it seems they currently are doing, you might as well put a load of vending machines all around the ground. They take up less space, you don't need any staff, and you can do it so there is an age restriction in place. It would free up the current outlets for other things, either food only or more toilets.

Here in Singapore, you can buy absolutely anything from a vending machine - even frozen salmon which is just downright weird.

Can't sell cans. Some idiot would throw one on the pitch, and the ground would be closed for three games.
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 09:45 - Sep 9 with 2108 viewsTacticalR

He's a smooth operator.

I didn't think the sound was that bad by the way. It sounded like there was a printer chugging away somewhere. It was less obtrusive than the wind in the background during the Warburton interview.

Air hostess clique

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 12:07 - Sep 9 with 2002 viewsRangersw12

I like Hoos and how he operates but I did think he was a bit flippant on the issues with the box office and how difficult it is to get tickets and contacting them via phone
[Post edited 9 Sep 2021 12:43]
(No subject) (n/t) on 12:42 - Sep 9 with 1955 viewsJPC

On the Half -time beer subject, couldn't they pre-pour a certain amount of beers, based on the usual average, 10 minutes before the half-time rush? Not enough time to go flat
Login to get fewer ads

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 15:48 - Sep 9 with 1832 viewsPinnerPaul

Thanks for the interview/write up. 2 points, not mentioned yet

1) Barcodes v QR codes - still not convinced on the 'business case', but done that to death now. However can't believe he is even considering trying to use that technology for vaccine passports, if they become a 'thing'

2) Stan Bowles Stand - Like you, I think he is trying too hard to be 'fair'. Never going to get 100% agreement for any name, so if you agree that naming is a 'good' thing - then just go for it. I doubt they'll be many flag waving protests if you just go ahead and name a stand after the great man.
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:55 - Sep 9 with 1823 viewsLanhoop

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:42 - Sep 9 by JPC

On the Half -time beer subject, couldn't they pre-pour a certain amount of beers, based on the usual average, 10 minutes before the half-time rush? Not enough time to go flat

Or install these... https://quicktap.eu/#top
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 16:47 - Sep 9 with 1786 viewsRangersw12

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 15:48 - Sep 9 by PinnerPaul

1) Barcodes v QR codes - still not convinced on the 'business case', but done that to death now. However can't believe he is even considering trying to use that technology for vaccine passports, if they become a 'thing'

2) Stan Bowles Stand - Like you, I think he is trying too hard to be 'fair'. Never going to get 100% agreement for any name, so if you agree that naming is a 'good' thing - then just go for it. I doubt they'll be many flag waving protests if you just go ahead and name a stand after the great man.

100% agree about the stand naming but I do wonder that if the attitude of the stan bowles group was a bit better then it probably would of been done by now

I get the impression that Hoos likes to be spoken to in a certain way and not just ranted at which is fair enough
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 16:51 - Sep 9 with 1780 viewsBklynRanger

Great stuff - thanks for that. Thought he came across quite well as always - maybe very slightly on the haughty side towards the end. e.g. the board membership answer didn't convince me - applying the concept of 'skill-sets' is a bit heavy on the wooden-corporate speak for my liking, especially when the answer, if we're going down that skill-set route is very simple - institutional memory.

And I still don't understand the catering answer other than staffing, even after rewinding - thought that was a bit fudged. But he's doing a good job in my opinion - although I fcuking hate Casualty so may not be qualified to guess.
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 17:20 - Sep 9 with 1724 viewsstevec

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 17:35 - Sep 8 by Northernr

It was on the list and I skipped it through reading the room.

When he pointed out that even a programme of capital works that was progressing at one block a season went south with the pandemic, that we can't get staff to paint the place, that we had lumps of concrete laying around the joint 24 hours before 2,500 angry Millwall fans turned up, that the floodlights need replacing urgently but because of the cost it's been kicked back a year, I thought "can you look into replacing 18,500 seat backs please" would have been slightly tone deaf.

Fair comment.

I get the impression the intention is to run the ground into such a state of squalor H & F will condemn LR as unfit for human habitation and we might get the nod on the Linford Christie sooner than we think!
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 17:27 - Sep 9 with 1715 viewsNorthernr

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 17:20 - Sep 9 by stevec

Fair comment.

I get the impression the intention is to run the ground into such a state of squalor H & F will condemn LR as unfit for human habitation and we might get the nod on the Linford Christie sooner than we think!

Well also on the list were some rather more harsh questions along those lines like "have we given up on the idea of improving Loftus Road" "what state is this place going to be in if you say we won't be in a new place for many years" and "is the intention to make the catering so bad that it reduces the queueing problem" but, again, reading the room, I think it's a challenge for them just to get games on atm, particularly around the stewarding, so I modified the tone on the journey.
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 20:38 - Sep 9 with 1626 viewsGloryHunter

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 17:27 - Sep 9 by Northernr

Well also on the list were some rather more harsh questions along those lines like "have we given up on the idea of improving Loftus Road" "what state is this place going to be in if you say we won't be in a new place for many years" and "is the intention to make the catering so bad that it reduces the queueing problem" but, again, reading the room, I think it's a challenge for them just to get games on atm, particularly around the stewarding, so I modified the tone on the journey.

Who do the stewards work for - the club or an agency?
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 08:31 - Sep 10 with 1496 viewsNorthernr

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 20:38 - Sep 9 by GloryHunter

Who do the stewards work for - the club or an agency?

They were in the process of trying to hire more 'in house' stewards to make them rely less on agency work, and the currect situation has basically completely reversed that. A lot of the 'in house' they had built up said they didn't want to come back because...

found full time or more regular work; concern over spread of Covid-19 in a crowded environment; no longer want to work in security or stewarding after Euro 2020; have relocated or do not wish to work in London.
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 10:16 - Sep 10 with 1421 viewsGeorgeKulscar

While I agree with others' positive sentiment on here about Lee Hoos and generally think he's done a great job off the pitch in making us sustainable, well run and financially sound, I wasn't sure about some of his reactions to the current off the field problems we have. I agree that at times his tone was a bit flippant, and his suggestion that fans come directly to him with problems is not really a good way to run a club with 12k+ supporters who regularly attend games. To then bring up the waiting list, something which no one seems to have heard of before and has definitely never been advertised by the club, seemed a bit strange.

Definitely willing to cut him and the club a lot of slack because of how difficult it must be at the moment, but I would be a bit worried if we continue to take this reactive approach to problems that may seem small, but actually have a big effect on the supporters. If, for example, we did get promoted, with the influx of interest and support that would bring from the wider support base, we would need to have a much more professional approach to things like ticketing and running the stadium. As things currently are, it would be a bit of a mess.
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 16:09 - Sep 10 with 1330 viewsPinnerPaul

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 10:16 - Sep 10 by GeorgeKulscar

While I agree with others' positive sentiment on here about Lee Hoos and generally think he's done a great job off the pitch in making us sustainable, well run and financially sound, I wasn't sure about some of his reactions to the current off the field problems we have. I agree that at times his tone was a bit flippant, and his suggestion that fans come directly to him with problems is not really a good way to run a club with 12k+ supporters who regularly attend games. To then bring up the waiting list, something which no one seems to have heard of before and has definitely never been advertised by the club, seemed a bit strange.

Definitely willing to cut him and the club a lot of slack because of how difficult it must be at the moment, but I would be a bit worried if we continue to take this reactive approach to problems that may seem small, but actually have a big effect on the supporters. If, for example, we did get promoted, with the influx of interest and support that would bring from the wider support base, we would need to have a much more professional approach to things like ticketing and running the stadium. As things currently are, it would be a bit of a mess.

TBF to him, two of the problems were because they 'reacted', but in the wrong way

1) Reading and Bournemouth tickets on sale at the same time to save booking fees

2) General sale for Reading because they thought demand wouldn't be high

Wrong on both but at least the motives were explained. He DID apologise for the 'secrecy' behind on sale dates and promised this wouldn't recur.
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 16:19 - Sep 10 with 1323 viewsBklynRanger

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 16:09 - Sep 10 by PinnerPaul

TBF to him, two of the problems were because they 'reacted', but in the wrong way

1) Reading and Bournemouth tickets on sale at the same time to save booking fees

2) General sale for Reading because they thought demand wouldn't be high

Wrong on both but at least the motives were explained. He DID apologise for the 'secrecy' behind on sale dates and promised this wouldn't recur.

I forgot about that first one - I do think that's a very commendable effort by whoever was thinking of it to try to save supporters money. Just not executed quite right as said.
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 22:59 - Sep 10 with 1191 viewsbaz_qpr

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 15:48 - Sep 9 by PinnerPaul

I work in business event and am responsible for registration / ticketing

Couple of things

1. Re vaccine passport (or proof of covid status) which is compulsory for indoor events of a certain size its being done essentially with security either eyeballing the mobile or printed version from NHS or showing the text from NHS of proof of lateral flow. Attempting to use the same reader for both entry and covid status check would be disaster 30 seconds to. minute as people try to fumble between two different apps or Wallet items scanning in the wrong order etc would take a minute per person to get though. If everyone queued for an hour it would need 30 turnstiles to get 2000 people in a stand. Just not viable

2. Its not a barcode vs QR code thing the code is pretty irrelevant other than a QR code can hold more data in it, but the scanning devices and the method they do the access control and that self scan especially with mobile can be a lot slower on flow. Basically they need more turnstiles to do it without the space and I think its a mistake to believe that they will save money on staff this way as you need more supervisors and more people to do queue management If you want to do self scan fast use RFID like an oyster card but that obviously does not work for casual fans or away so you would need to do a mix. We dont know if the technical tweaks will make much difference as Millwall was a sell out and the others were not.

3. Whilst they could easily do the ticketing themselves, its the phone and customer services staff that would be the overhead and ultimately core ticket prices would have to go up to cover that (probably more than ticketmaster charge the customer fee) so no win for us other than the club has control over the levels and performance of customer service.

4. Staffing and recruitment in any line of business at all levels the moment is impossible we are going to have 80s style inflation very quickly (fix your mortgages now folks). However you've still got over 1m people on furlough which ends soon so that may change certainly in regards to hiring casual staff
Lee Hoos — Patreon on 10:32 - Sep 13 with 979 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

It sounds like there won’t be a Covid passport for sporting events, night clubs and other everyday activities afterall.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58535258
[Post edited 13 Sep 2021 10:33]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Lee Hoos — Patreon on 11:14 - Sep 14 with 844 viewsterryb

Thanks Clive.

Today was the first day I could read the interview.

I was impressed by most (not all) of the answers & how Hoos pre-empted questions & raised the issue before you could.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024