Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luke Amos Comeback 14:56 - Sep 18 with 3872 viewsDylanP

So Luke Amos has caught his way back from his horrendous knee injury. He played 90 minutes for the B team and sat on the bench v Bournemouth. Apparently, his first game back will be the Everton cup tie. Good for him. I always liked him as a player. The thing is, with the team we currently have, I just dont see a spot for him. I mean, obviously it’s a long season and he will get games. But in terms of a permanent place on the side, he is not gonna replace JoJo or Chair in midfield or William in attacking midfield and he isn’t a natural striker. He isn’t really a wing-back although he could do a job out on the wing if needed. I kinda feel bad for him; to work so hard to get back into the squad and not to have a place to play.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Luke Amos Comeback on 15:10 - Sep 18 with 3836 viewseghamranger

Maybe not a bad thing that he isn’t rushed back and he can fill in as and when and play some b games to get up to speed.

Great news though
Luke Amos Comeback on 16:01 - Sep 18 with 3761 viewsstainrods_elbow

Pleased for him of course, though yet to be convinced of him as a player. Let's hope he can play some games and get his confidence back, either with us or possibly on loan.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Luke Amos Comeback on 18:47 - Sep 18 with 3584 viewsgolborne

Agreed he shouldn’t be rushed, but he’ll sit along Jojo just fine. It’ll take a while for him to regain his confidence in 50/50’s, but he’ll be a massive improvement on Ball. Hate being negative about Ball cos he gives his all, but his constant ball, rather than man and general play watching makes me nervous. Too many times he’s stuck in the mud once there’s a bit of movement.
Luke Amos Comeback on 14:54 - Sep 20 with 3274 viewsstainrods_elbow

Luke Amos Comeback on 18:47 - Sep 18 by golborne

Agreed he shouldn’t be rushed, but he’ll sit along Jojo just fine. It’ll take a while for him to regain his confidence in 50/50’s, but he’ll be a massive improvement on Ball. Hate being negative about Ball cos he gives his all, but his constant ball, rather than man and general play watching makes me nervous. Too many times he’s stuck in the mud once there’s a bit of movement.

So, to repeat my question, and given that Ball isn't an automatic starter (as yesterday), who would you have left out on Saturday to rush/not rush Lukey back?

I think we're missing Field much more for his steadiness and footballing intelligence. For me, unlucky has he's been, Amos still looks 20 or 21 - can't believe be he's 24 (and only played barely 50 games at any level).

Luke Amos Comeback on 17:23 - Sep 20 with 3115 viewsBazzeR

I don’t know if it was an ongoing injury or if a clause in his transfer prevented him being selected but Sam Field only played around 11 or 12 games,his appearances dried up towards the run in.

We certainly looked a better team for me when he was selected

It looks a big ask to play Luke Amos in a defensive M/F role.
Luke Amos Comeback on 17:55 - Sep 20 with 3026 viewsQPROslo

I remember him being at his best pressing the oppositions defense from a central attacking midfield position, an unusual 10. He was very quick over a few meters and aggressive in ripping the ball away from unsuspecting defenders.Think he was playing there when he got injured at Bounemouth last season. Think he'll need to be properly fit for that role again, but can imagine him being used as a sub for a tired Chair against equally tired defenders who wont like angry wasp Amos suddenly all over them as they try to play the ball out.
Luke Amos Comeback on 18:30 - Sep 20 with 2970 viewsgolborne

Luke Amos Comeback on 14:54 - Sep 20 by stainrods_elbow

So, to repeat my question, and given that Ball isn't an automatic starter (as yesterday), who would you have left out on Saturday to rush/not rush Lukey back?

I think we're missing Field much more for his steadiness and footballing intelligence. For me, unlucky has he's been, Amos still looks 20 or 21 - can't believe be he's 24 (and only played barely 50 games at any level).

It would be in lieu of one of the strikers, we won't start many games with 2 upfront. He was playing in the 3 of a 4-2-3-1 last year, but we've subsequently moved to a back 3. As he was in the 3 for the press, rather than attacking prowess, I think he'll revert to playing in the middle of our now 3-4-3. He came to us as a more traditional deep lying central midfielder, MW found an alternate role for him in the way we were then setting up, but Amos can play anywhere in the middle.
Luke Amos Comeback on 18:46 - Sep 20 with 2940 viewsCiderwithRsie

Luke Amos Comeback on 18:30 - Sep 20 by golborne

It would be in lieu of one of the strikers, we won't start many games with 2 upfront. He was playing in the 3 of a 4-2-3-1 last year, but we've subsequently moved to a back 3. As he was in the 3 for the press, rather than attacking prowess, I think he'll revert to playing in the middle of our now 3-4-3. He came to us as a more traditional deep lying central midfielder, MW found an alternate role for him in the way we were then setting up, but Amos can play anywhere in the middle.

Yep, as would surely be the case for Field when fit.

With all this sports science witchcraft and the way games come in this league I'm sure we'll need Amos, Field, Johansen, Ball, Dykes, Austin and Gray to fill maybe three or four slots between them.
Login to get fewer ads

Luke Amos Comeback on 18:59 - Sep 20 with 2904 viewsstainrods_elbow

Luke Amos Comeback on 18:30 - Sep 20 by golborne

It's sad how defensive the modern game has become - from 2-3-5, then 4-3-3/4-2-4, to 4-4-2 through the years, and now these days when everyone's like scaredy cats about even playing twin strikers. So much for the days of Goddard and Allen, Flanagan and Allen, Byrne and Bannister, Gallen and Dichio, and others can go on. Managers need to be less frightened to break the mould.

What's striking (no pun intended) to me is that, though misgivings were entered about Jojo playing 'all on his own' on Saturday (even thought the wing backs are/were to get up and down the pitch alongside him and our formation is more fluid than most, with Chair buzzing hither and thither and Willock similarly itinerant), we weren't overrun and dominated possession from start to finish. The two strikers helped with our shots tally, and it was terrific to see Warbs put his foot on the gas, despite the bummed-in-the-gob outcome.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Amos can do, of course, but I think his inclusion is going to take time, and it should, as i don't think anyone deserves to be automatically dislodged, including Ball. In short, he needs to play his way into contention, as he's really got to prove himself all over again in a new team.

Luke Amos Comeback on 22:20 - Sep 20 with 2759 viewsCiderwithRsie

Luke Amos Comeback on 18:59 - Sep 20 by stainrods_elbow

It's sad how defensive the modern game has become - from 2-3-5, then 4-3-3/4-2-4, to 4-4-2 through the years, and now these days when everyone's like scaredy cats about even playing twin strikers. So much for the days of Goddard and Allen, Flanagan and Allen, Byrne and Bannister, Gallen and Dichio, and others can go on. Managers need to be less frightened to break the mould.

What's striking (no pun intended) to me is that, though misgivings were entered about Jojo playing 'all on his own' on Saturday (even thought the wing backs are/were to get up and down the pitch alongside him and our formation is more fluid than most, with Chair buzzing hither and thither and Willock similarly itinerant), we weren't overrun and dominated possession from start to finish. The two strikers helped with our shots tally, and it was terrific to see Warbs put his foot on the gas, despite the bummed-in-the-gob outcome.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Amos can do, of course, but I think his inclusion is going to take time, and it should, as i don't think anyone deserves to be automatically dislodged, including Ball. In short, he needs to play his way into contention, as he's really got to prove himself all over again in a new team.

Against that you have to balance that in 2-3-5 there was only one centre forward and the defensive full-backs have been replaced by wing-backs or at very least full-backs who can cross the ball. And you have rampaging central defenders like Dickie and Barbet surging into the area. Also players like Zidane playing in "the hole" just behind the strikers became goal-scorers.

When I first started watching in the 70s, through to the 80s and 90s, it was the old-fashioned teams which were defensive. (Anyone remember Wilkinson's Sheff Wed with 5 defenders strung across the back? George Graham's off-side trap? Liverpool constantly passing back to the keeper? all those 4-4-2s with lumbering centre halves?) It was the modern sides - like Ajax, or us under Sexton and Peter Shreeve-era Jim Smith - which played attacking football because it was the latter who expected defenders to be able to attack, whatever the formation said. We're seeing that in Warburton's sides now, it's way more attacking than football in e.g. the 80s.

I definitely remember idiots in the press talking about Shreeve's sweeper system as "defensive" and thinking "you've no bloody idea, have you never seen Fereday, Dennis and Fenwick play?"
Luke Amos Comeback on 00:42 - Sep 21 with 2607 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Luke Amos Comeback on 22:20 - Sep 20 by CiderwithRsie

Against that you have to balance that in 2-3-5 there was only one centre forward and the defensive full-backs have been replaced by wing-backs or at very least full-backs who can cross the ball. And you have rampaging central defenders like Dickie and Barbet surging into the area. Also players like Zidane playing in "the hole" just behind the strikers became goal-scorers.

When I first started watching in the 70s, through to the 80s and 90s, it was the old-fashioned teams which were defensive. (Anyone remember Wilkinson's Sheff Wed with 5 defenders strung across the back? George Graham's off-side trap? Liverpool constantly passing back to the keeper? all those 4-4-2s with lumbering centre halves?) It was the modern sides - like Ajax, or us under Sexton and Peter Shreeve-era Jim Smith - which played attacking football because it was the latter who expected defenders to be able to attack, whatever the formation said. We're seeing that in Warburton's sides now, it's way more attacking than football in e.g. the 80s.

I definitely remember idiots in the press talking about Shreeve's sweeper system as "defensive" and thinking "you've no bloody idea, have you never seen Fereday, Dennis and Fenwick play?"

Great post, Rosie.

Detailed analysis, backed up with fine examples.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Luke Amos Comeback on 01:37 - Sep 21 with 2590 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I can totally see a spot for Amos. QPR have greatly missed Field in CM. With Ball's form inconsistent and no other recognised defensive midfielder in the squad, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Amos take on that role.
Luke Amos Comeback on 00:23 - Sep 22 with 2235 viewsbosh67

The relief and joy on his face when he slotted home that penalty. So pleased for him. Welcome back Luke. Let's see what you can really do now!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Luke Amos Comeback on 00:29 - Sep 22 with 2207 viewskarl

Luke Amos Comeback on 00:42 - Sep 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Great post, Rosie.

Detailed analysis, backed up with fine examples.

And I love the new name, Rosie😂

Agree though, very good breakdown
Luke Amos Comeback on 00:32 - Sep 22 with 2200 viewskarl

Luke Amos Comeback on 00:23 - Sep 22 by bosh67

The relief and joy on his face when he slotted home that penalty. So pleased for him. Welcome back Luke. Let's see what you can really do now!

He was really laughing out it seemed, must have felt a lot of pressure.
I have been thinking it was a good thing that none of the takers missed or had a penalty saved, it was the same v Orient I'm sure?
Luke Amos Comeback on 01:07 - Sep 22 with 2143 viewsBoston

Luke Amos Comeback on 00:32 - Sep 22 by karl

He was really laughing out it seemed, must have felt a lot of pressure.
I have been thinking it was a good thing that none of the takers missed or had a penalty saved, it was the same v Orient I'm sure?

Orient - been there, done them.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024