Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
CDs and DVDs 11:10 - Nov 12 with 3882 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Got a shit load. Must have paid thousands and thousands over the years but time to get rid.

Any ideas?
CDs and DVDs on 11:13 - Nov 12 with 3446 viewsRs_Holy

If you've got a copy of this I will buy it off you :)

CDs and DVDs on 11:18 - Nov 12 with 3427 viewsBklynRanger

I had to sort out my CDs a while ago - it was a coupe of months worth of work (doesn't have to be of course).

Basically I went through and kept about 300 or so, whatever the capacity was of the largest caselogic CD holder I could find online. Threw out all of the cases. The rest I had 2 piles - one was ripped at lossless quality onto a drive then chucked, the rest I just chucked.

For books I found there was a second hand market but for CDs not so much - but that's very much worth checking these days.
CDs and DVDs on 11:35 - Nov 12 with 3391 viewsstowmarketrange

Take the lot to your favourite charity shop and donate them.Every high st has loads of different ones to choose from.
It gets rid of them,a charity gets to make money out of them and you get to feel that you’ve made a small difference to the world.
CDs and DVDs on 12:06 - Nov 12 with 3321 viewsMrSheen

Contact your local tarmac professionals.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/robbie-williams-88-1338919
CDs and DVDs on 12:13 - Nov 12 with 3310 viewsLanhoop

@Bazza - https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/
@Rs_Holy - Somewhere in the loft I have the vinyl of that
CDs and DVDs on 12:51 - Nov 12 with 3236 viewsRs_Holy

CDs and DVDs on 12:13 - Nov 12 by Lanhoop

@Bazza - https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/
@Rs_Holy - Somewhere in the loft I have the vinyl of that

Lanhoop... I had it on vinyl too but sold all my vinyl at a car boot about 20 years ago for £20 (DOH!).... I've replaced my favourite records with equivalent CD's but cant get the Kane Gang CD anywhere :(
CDs and DVDs on 13:12 - Nov 12 with 3184 viewsToast_R

In 50 years hipsters will be paying you serious money for them telling you they sound better than whatever format is mainstream in 2071.
CDs and DVDs on 13:16 - Nov 12 with 3169 viewsdannyblue

I'm regressing.

Sold my mainstream CDs to music magpie, and sold obscure ones on discogs...but gradually I've realised I regret it.

I even just bought a CD. £3 delivered, second hand.

I'd rather listen to what I have and buy a few things on bandcamp, or second hand CDs / vinyl than give Spotify £120 a year, and they never have the disco edits etc. I want...

Same goes for films. Showing my age, but I prefer owning some things than splurging each month on Amazon etc. Amazon / Apple etc charge you as much to rent a film for a few days as it costs to get it on DVD forever. And they often don't have the great films available...the Tartovskys etc.

Found a tape player and my old mix tapes in the loft. Set them up in the kitchen and enjoying rediscovering them while I do the washing up.
Login to get fewer ads

CDs and DVDs on 14:21 - Nov 12 with 3095 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

CDs and DVDs on 13:16 - Nov 12 by dannyblue

I'm regressing.

Sold my mainstream CDs to music magpie, and sold obscure ones on discogs...but gradually I've realised I regret it.

I even just bought a CD. £3 delivered, second hand.

I'd rather listen to what I have and buy a few things on bandcamp, or second hand CDs / vinyl than give Spotify £120 a year, and they never have the disco edits etc. I want...

Same goes for films. Showing my age, but I prefer owning some things than splurging each month on Amazon etc. Amazon / Apple etc charge you as much to rent a film for a few days as it costs to get it on DVD forever. And they often don't have the great films available...the Tartovskys etc.

Found a tape player and my old mix tapes in the loft. Set them up in the kitchen and enjoying rediscovering them while I do the washing up.

I unsubscribed from Spotify last month (I’m the same, I don’t like having lots of subscriptions that I hardly use). I do subscribe to Youtube premium which I use quite frequently and it has a dedicated music player now which basically does the same thing as Spotify. So I’m just going to make do with that from now on.

My CD’s don’t get used much anymore but I like having them around so keep my favourite ones on display. I still buy CD’s by some of the new artists I like, even bought a couple of tapes in the last 2 years or so. It’s still probably the best way of supporting them as they won’t make much from the streaming platforms.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2021 14:23]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

CDs and DVDs on 14:31 - Nov 12 with 3066 viewscolinallcars

I've got about 2000 or so CDs plus vinyl. I only use Spotify to “audition” stuff which if I like I buy on CD or vinyl. Much better sound quality than Spotify and I also like to have the physical item in my hand.
Obviously storage is a pain but I like to periodically sift through to pick out something I haven't played in ages.
CDs and DVDs on 14:33 - Nov 12 with 3056 viewsSonofNorfolt

CDs and DVDs on 12:51 - Nov 12 by Rs_Holy

Lanhoop... I had it on vinyl too but sold all my vinyl at a car boot about 20 years ago for £20 (DOH!).... I've replaced my favourite records with equivalent CD's but cant get the Kane Gang CD anywhere :(

There are plenty on eBay.
CDs and DVDs on 15:51 - Nov 12 with 2962 viewsNorthantsHoop

Regret selling my vinyl albums to Reckless Records in Islington 20 years ago, spent most of last 20 years or so replacing them on CD or MP3.
CDs and DVDs on 16:26 - Nov 12 with 2916 viewspeejaybee

Alexa, Plays all the songs i want to hear.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

CDs and DVDs on 16:37 - Nov 12 with 2901 viewsSK_hoops

Bit long, but any that are a bit more underground or you think they may have made less of check the price on discogs. You'd be surprised. Made a few hundred selling old CDs on there.
CDs and DVDs on 16:59 - Nov 12 with 2862 viewscolinallcars

CDs and DVDs on 16:37 - Nov 12 by SK_hoops

Bit long, but any that are a bit more underground or you think they may have made less of check the price on discogs. You'd be surprised. Made a few hundred selling old CDs on there.

I've bought a few things on discogs but have noticed that the cheaper ones are always listed as “ not available in the UK”
CDs and DVDs on 17:15 - Nov 12 with 2834 viewsPunteR

Discogs or ebay.

Spent a fortune on Blueray . Got loads of films on that format. I'm not fussed about owning films these days and happy to stream but I'm still old skool when it comes to music. Much prefer to own a record than stream it.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

CDs and DVDs on 17:30 - Nov 12 with 2809 viewsPunteR

CDs and DVDs on 16:59 - Nov 12 by colinallcars

I've bought a few things on discogs but have noticed that the cheaper ones are always listed as “ not available in the UK”

Postage prices are ridiculous. I always buy from the UK if I can. Even then its about £4 or £5.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

CDs and DVDs on 17:58 - Nov 12 with 2798 viewsSK_hoops

CDs and DVDs on 16:59 - Nov 12 by colinallcars

People in UK are hardly ever selling non UK stuff I want and if they are as you said always really expensive.
CDs and DVDs on 18:34 - Nov 12 with 2754 viewsJuzzie

Rip the CD’s as high a quality MP3 (or even WAV) as you can and the DVD’s as VOB files and save them onto a decent quality SSD external hard drive (much, much, much smaller chance of failing than a normal hard drive).
Then you can sell, give to charity etc the original physical copies.
As long as you don’t pass on, sell, copy again etc the stuff on the hard drive you’re not doing anything illegal.
This way you get rid of all the clutter but still have them.

I have about 3TB’s of stuff on two hard drives. Can play the VOB movies straight onto my smart TV.

It is a bit time consuming but worth it.

[Post edited 12 Nov 2021 18:47]
CDs and DVDs on 18:46 - Nov 12 with 2742 viewsdezzar

Keep threatning to sell my extensive CD collection , the vinyl is staying till the kids flog it when im no longer here , but my lovely wife says dont do it think of the memories , every song has a story behind it .Couldnt do it , its part of me.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2021 20:26]
CDs and DVDs on 22:31 - Nov 12 with 2618 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I've not used it but this site may be worth trying.

https://www.discogs.com/

Check out what you have and look at the sell section.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

CDs and DVDs on 23:08 - Nov 12 with 2567 viewscolinallcars

I was a seller on Amazon for a few years but prices got so low, I jacked it in. Prices seem to have moved up again now though.
Every now and then I prune my collection and take some to Mind charity shop in Ham. They only sell them for 50p though.
The ones I take are usually recommendations from acquaintances which are often disasterous.
After all these years I still buy a lot of CDs. There is so much stuff out there often criminally overlooked by Joe Public and the media.
CDs and DVDs on 15:04 - Nov 13 with 2392 viewsR_from_afar

CDs and DVDs on 11:35 - Nov 12 by stowmarketrange

Take the lot to your favourite charity shop and donate them.Every high st has loads of different ones to choose from.
It gets rid of them,a charity gets to make money out of them and you get to feel that you’ve made a small difference to the world.

Good idea, I do that too and I also regularly buy used CDs from such shops.

This is interesting insight, from the ambient artist The Black Dog:

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

CDs and DVDs on 16:00 - Nov 13 with 2358 viewsBklynRanger

That's mad - that t-shirt might be, what 25 quid? (Top end).
And it takes 8000 streams to make that? Jesus.
CDs and DVDs on 16:45 - Nov 13 with 2316 viewsR_from_afar

CDs and DVDs on 16:00 - Nov 13 by BklynRanger

That's mad - that t-shirt might be, what 25 quid? (Top end).
And it takes 8000 streams to make that? Jesus.

It is mad isn't it? That T-shirt costs £19.87 from the band's website.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024