Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? 18:42 - Nov 14 with 9879 viewsJogo

As a frequent peruser of the BBC website football page, I can't help but notice the copious amounts of reports on women's football. Sometimes taking the up the top story. My question is, is this the BBC going OTT on political correctness or does anyone on here actually care enough about women's football to warrant the coverage?

Personally, I've only seen bits and pieces of games and frankly it's like watching Sunday parks football.

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 12:45 - Nov 15 with 2826 viewsMrSheen

Food for thought...
https://mobile.twitter.com/wslattendances

From the US, where player numbers are much higher for women than men. Likely to be some Covid distortions...
https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/usa-frauen-national-womens-soccer-leagu
https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/usa-major-league-soccer-2021/3/
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 13:45 - Nov 15 with 2749 viewsPinnerPaul

I regularly referee girls and womens football and very enjoyable it is as well.

I think the way to approach it, is to not compare it with the mens game - it is a different game.

Yes a decent boys Under 15s team will beat any womens OA team, but so what - a man ranked 750 in the world of tennis will beat the womens number 1 - men are stronger/quicker than women - don't need to compare them at sport to prove/know that.
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 13:55 - Nov 15 with 2717 viewsrobith

Only thing that catches me out is seeing the score ticker say Arsenal 4-4 Spurs and being like "how did I miss that???????????" before I clock the WSL tag

You should be prepared for an explosion for Women's sport over the next few years. Terrestrial broadcasters priced out of elite men's sport still have huge reach and are giving it a massive shot in the arm. Combined with sponsors who want to get in on the ground floor, away from some of the murkier associations of men's games (player behaviour off the pitch, close link with gambling). I'd say one in four of the briefs I get these days ask about how supporting women's sport can be built in
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 14:16 - Nov 15 with 2671 viewsEsox_Lucius

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 13:55 - Nov 15 by robith

Only thing that catches me out is seeing the score ticker say Arsenal 4-4 Spurs and being like "how did I miss that???????????" before I clock the WSL tag

You should be prepared for an explosion for Women's sport over the next few years. Terrestrial broadcasters priced out of elite men's sport still have huge reach and are giving it a massive shot in the arm. Combined with sponsors who want to get in on the ground floor, away from some of the murkier associations of men's games (player behaviour off the pitch, close link with gambling). I'd say one in four of the briefs I get these days ask about how supporting women's sport can be built in

My cousin's daughter, who has played professionally for Arsenal, Birmingham, Reading & Liverpool and England, has just retired. She is now in a role for promoting the women's game and you may wish to speak to her in a professional capacity over support for the women's game.
https://mtkglobal.com/mtk-football/mtk-football-appoints-kirsty-linnett-as-head-

The grass is always greener.

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 15:14 - Nov 15 with 2581 viewsRs_Holy

okay so its not footy but I really enjoyed watching Fallon Sherrock win convincingly yesterday and averaging over 101 to boot!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/59285690
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 15:40 - Nov 15 with 2553 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 15:14 - Nov 15 by Rs_Holy

okay so its not footy but I really enjoyed watching Fallon Sherrock win convincingly yesterday and averaging over 101 to boot!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/59285690

In the 'women will never be as strong/quick/ as men chat' Fallon Sherrock even more impressive because the difference biologically in depth perception and visual targeting between men and women are quite stark.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/article/120907-men-women-see-differen
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 15:48 - Nov 15 with 2533 viewsQPR_Hibs

I think this explains everything. From BBC TV Series 2012:

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 16:33 - Nov 15 with 2467 viewsMatch82

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 22:00 - Nov 14 by danehoop

To take a step back though, there is little senior mens football on at the moment, beyond the internationals. There is a lot of womens top level football on. So it is available to cover.

Womans football has started to finally getting coverage and traction in the UK (it has been bigger elsewhere) over the past 5 years, arguably following the success of the English Womens team over the same time.

Larger clubs have started investing into the women's game, generating more interest and encouraging broadcasters and media to cover it.

You can hardly say that there isnt already saturation coverage of the mens game.

Half the population of the UK is female and only a very small portion will have identified with Wayne Rooney in any meaningful way, let alone as relatable.

The game has grown massively at the grassroots level over the past 10 years, so their is interest.

Simple answer for you I guess is don't watch it or read about it if it doesn't interest you. Certainly doesn't feel like something to worry about or immediately jumping to conclusions about bias.

All a bit sad really.

"Half the population of the UK is female and only a very small portion will have identified with Wayne Rooney in any meaningful way, let alone as relatable."

Of course, the demographic profile of females who have identified with Wayne Rooney in a meaningful way definitely skews older...

(Sorry, I know this is a serious topic)
Login to get fewer ads

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 17:42 - Nov 15 with 2381 viewscollegeranger

Meanwhile back at Loftus Road in the early 80's

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 18:11 - Nov 15 with 2338 viewsGloryHunter

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 11:42 - Nov 15 by collegeranger

Nothing to do with the coverage rights being virtually free!! Also the broadsheet national papers seem to cover the WSL far more than Championship and L1 & L2. Also you dont see the attendances publisshed and when I do happen to stumble across a match the crowds are paltry and I know for a fact local schools get loads of free tickets to try and push the attendance up.

I have always thought it would be great to see a women's game played at LR before the men's Saturday game (remember those?) It would get the crowd in early, and give the women's team good support.

(I realise it would need better facilities than what we have - or they would have to get changed elsewhere.)
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 18:41 - Nov 15 with 2293 viewsstowmarketrange

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 18:11 - Nov 15 by GloryHunter

I have always thought it would be great to see a women's game played at LR before the men's Saturday game (remember those?) It would get the crowd in early, and give the women's team good support.

(I realise it would need better facilities than what we have - or they would have to get changed elsewhere.)

They could always use the blue and white bar to get changed in.Nobody would look honestly.
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 19:08 - Nov 15 with 2268 viewsmikeygunn

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 22:10 - Nov 14 by mikeygunn

Sort of related. QPR womens team won 11-0 in the FA cup today :)

QPR women v Billericay Town Women in the second round to be played on the 28/11
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 22:22 - Nov 15 with 2127 viewsGloryHunter

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 21:55 - Nov 14 by Northernr

I think it comes down to what the role of a public service broadcaster is. Why is it there?

It may look and feel forced and a bit 'try hard' when you look at the BBC Sport homepage, but as a public service broadcaster I'd suggest it's exactly what it should be showing and pushing.

When I was in my teens rattling round delivering pizza in my little Corsa it used to absolutely do my fcking head in when BBC radio was dedicating hour after hour after hour of coverage to some poxy Friday night athletics meeting taking place in front of 1,500 mistly free ticketed people in Birmingham, over and above a (in my mind much more important) football game which far more people were interested in. But it's the public service broadcaster's job to provide coverage and support to the things the private sector and commercial broadcasters don't. It doesn't need to prioritise, pay for and show Premier League football, because there are other commercial TV and radio stations that will do that. It does need to carry rugby league commentaries, because nobody else will. TalkSport won't do you three hours of Diamond League athletics from Stockholm, that's the PSB's job.

It's the same reason it should never have had The Voice in the first place, and why it's right that went to ITV. It's not its job as a PSB.

Thanks for pointing out those basic facts to the faithful, Clive. There is so much ill-informed BBC bashing right now, and it was revealed yesterday that Rupert Murdoch has been lobbying Boris to scrap the BBC licence fee because it threatens his business interests.

I listen to BBC World Service radio most of my working day. There is so much fantastic interesting stuff on there, that has absolutely no commercial value to anyone at all, but which keeps a worldwide audience informed about culture, politics and injustices, and also promotes British values and culture throughout the world. I would gladly donate the licence fee just to keep that going.
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 15:31 - Nov 16 with 1893 viewsrobith

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 15:40 - Nov 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

In the 'women will never be as strong/quick/ as men chat' Fallon Sherrock even more impressive because the difference biologically in depth perception and visual targeting between men and women are quite stark.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/article/120907-men-women-see-differen

Sherrock is wild, cos she has a large amount of matches where I think "oof, I reckon I could've taken a couple of sets off her" and then in front of massive crowds on TV, proper pressure cooker stuff, she'll throw 100+ average like it ain't no thing. She's like an inverse bottle job
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 19:17 - Nov 16 with 1800 viewsDorse

Slightly off topic but still (sort of) related: the Hundred this summer.

All franchises had men's and women's teams and broadcasters wanting interviews were forced to accept that, if they wanted to speak to a Manchester Originals player, they were as likely to get Smriti Mandana as Joss Buttler. Games were played on the same day with women's matches first and it was brilliant.

I honestly think the previous suggestion of a women's/ men's double header (which sounds like something you might pay 200 euros for in an Amsterdam sex dungeon) has some merit but I can't see how clubs would go for it. The Hundred worked because both teams faced the same opponents. Not sure how that might fit most EFL clubs.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 23:24 - Nov 16 with 1699 viewsStainrod

Interesting about women's football in the 1920s being so popular, didn't know that, so thank you to the poster for enhancing my education.

Find myself torn. I actually stopped posting on another QPR forum for several years because I was attacked for being PC/ anti-Brexit etc etc so normally I would expect to come down on the side of liberals in these kind of debates. I also think that some of the female commentators and analysts are far more insightful and intelligent than certain of their male equivalents (imagine Ian Wright or Roy Keane tying to explain xG for example).

However, must admit I get mildly irritated on the BBC sports site that the leagues are listed in the following order of importance:

Premier League
Womens League (apologies not its correct name)
Championship

I highly doubt that reflects the click through rates of the audience. Before I am accused of sexism I will often, for example, watch women's tennis over men'' - unquestionably female tennis players are of comparable technical ability to men and to my mind these are sports of equal standing and intensity (its disgraceful its taken decades of campaigning for prize money to reflect that). Women's football might well get to the level of women's tennis, but it isn't there yet.

I guess it comes down to whether you think the BBC should reflect attitudes or change them. Its probably a bit of both. With women's football coverage I do just think they have the emphasis a little wrong and the comments on this thread and others suggest it is having the opposite effect of the one intended with a lot of (male) fans turned off the sport- and not all of us are complete sexist pigs. It is an open question whether it is engaging and inspiring a similar number of young women...
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 05:04 - Nov 17 with 1642 viewsstowmarketrange

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 23:24 - Nov 16 by Stainrod

Interesting about women's football in the 1920s being so popular, didn't know that, so thank you to the poster for enhancing my education.

Find myself torn. I actually stopped posting on another QPR forum for several years because I was attacked for being PC/ anti-Brexit etc etc so normally I would expect to come down on the side of liberals in these kind of debates. I also think that some of the female commentators and analysts are far more insightful and intelligent than certain of their male equivalents (imagine Ian Wright or Roy Keane tying to explain xG for example).

However, must admit I get mildly irritated on the BBC sports site that the leagues are listed in the following order of importance:

Premier League
Womens League (apologies not its correct name)
Championship

I highly doubt that reflects the click through rates of the audience. Before I am accused of sexism I will often, for example, watch women's tennis over men'' - unquestionably female tennis players are of comparable technical ability to men and to my mind these are sports of equal standing and intensity (its disgraceful its taken decades of campaigning for prize money to reflect that). Women's football might well get to the level of women's tennis, but it isn't there yet.

I guess it comes down to whether you think the BBC should reflect attitudes or change them. Its probably a bit of both. With women's football coverage I do just think they have the emphasis a little wrong and the comments on this thread and others suggest it is having the opposite effect of the one intended with a lot of (male) fans turned off the sport- and not all of us are complete sexist pigs. It is an open question whether it is engaging and inspiring a similar number of young women...

In my experience of girls and women’s football over the last 10 years,I’ve seen so many 10 year olds starting out loving the opportunity of being able to play football outside of the school playground,where they never see anything of the ball because most schoolboys would rather get detention than pass to a girl.
Having a team of all girls playing together at the weekend gives them the opportunity to actually play.They are normally so enthusiastic and committed in their first few years.I think the main reasons are the lack of tackling and physical contact between the players.They get time on the ball that doesn’t normally occur in boys of the same age group.

The better and more physical girls get poached to play in mixed football until their later teenage years,when they are made to play only ladies football again.

In my own experience as a manager,coach,Lino and parent of my daughters teams over the last 10 years,I’ve noticed that when they reach year 10 at school is the crunch year.That is when a lot of promising football talent decide that there are too many others things to consider rather than playing football at the weekend.I had about 5 or 6 of my team just give up to concentrate on the 2 vital school years because they thought they wouldn’t have time to do both.
None of those girls returned to any football teams in the last 5 years,although a few more went to university and maybe joined teams there.
It might be a similar story in boys football,but as my grandson is only playing at U13’s level at the moment,so I’ll find out in the next year or two.

Consequently a lot of girls teams fold at U15 and U16 level,and it is only the more committed girls who continue their football,but here in Suffolk there are fewer teams to play against,which meant that my daughters team had to join the Essex league at U17 level,but they had to join an U18 league and go to places like Billericay and basildon with only 10 players normally.That team folded and she was forced to join another one for the following season at U18.That folded at the end of last season and she was forced to join another team for adult ladies football,which is a lot more physical than most of her team are used to playing against,and some of them have dropped out during the first few months of this season,which means they are struggling for players again.

I don’t think the pandemic has helped with retaining players interest in playing on a Sunday afternoon,but my daughter still enjoys playing and hopefully that will continue in the future.But a lot of players she started out with at age 9 have fallen by the wayside.
Having the games on Sunday afternoons means that few of the adult women’s players ever get to see live games played at the same time as theirs,but hopefully it might inspire more girls to take up and continue playing past the crunch years of 14,15 and 16.

Pinner referees some girls and women’s games,so it might be the same in his neck of the woods as it is in Suffolk?
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 5:09]
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 06:52 - Nov 17 with 1619 viewsmcqpr10

Not sure why people get so riled by the BBC showing women's football. Rarely watch the BBC and if I do it's used like Netflix where I go to iPlayer and choose what I want to watch. It's great for young girls to see football in the spotlight.
People talk about the standard being so low but sometimes I've brought non qpr Pals to watch us in the championship and been embarrassed at some of the slop we have to watch. Many of us are addicted to the club that we forget about being entertained and will take a dog of a game and a one nil win?
!
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 07:02 - Nov 17 with 1609 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Just a reminder that Women’s football, disproportionately covered or not

A) Does not disrupt your life in the slightest
B) Makes a lot of other people happy
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 08:37 - Nov 17 with 1535 viewswestberksr

I pay as little attention to the women's football as I do the premiership or other 90 odd clubs.

I do, however. as mentioned by someone else earlier find it odd that the BBC website list results with the Championship sometimes fourth in order behind Scottish Prem & WSL. It doesn't actually make any difference to me but just seems to neglect what is arguably the most exciting league and second most important overall.

perhaps that is an anti EFL, rather than any pro female stance.

Not having any kids or time to really add more football viewing to my life I am completely oblivious to any suggested bias, nor care. I think I have about 200 TV channels and if the BBC want to show several hours of Women's football per week it isn't going to impact on my viewing

better that that a load of reality TV bollox or pointless talent shows for talentless people
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 10:50 - Nov 17 with 1474 viewsdaveB

When you see the cost of buying mens football for broadcasters it should be no shock that BBC and ITV are starting to show more womens football as it's a lot cheaper and is attracting a growing audience.

It's much like any sport really, if it doesn't interest you don't watch it
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 13:59 - Nov 17 with 1363 viewsLogman

I think it's quite good the way women are getting the same coverage. Personally, I am not really interested in watching more football than I do at the moment but it's good that football is being promoted for women. The only thing which I don't like is that the characters, punditry and interviews are boring and predictable and there's never anything novel about it.
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 14:16 - Nov 17 with 1332 viewsWokingR

I was talking to my daughters recently about the BBC website and the way they report on womens football. As already mentioned, major headlines are always shown but there is a tab to access Championship related football news. It would make so much more sense to do the same for womens football as, at present, there will be a picture accompanied by a small headline mentioning either the player or the teams name. In a lot of cases, literally, the only way you can see or know if this relates to womens football is to look at the picture to see if they have tits, and that's surely not what they are wanting,
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 15:41 - Nov 17 with 1296 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 14:16 - Nov 17 by WokingR

I was talking to my daughters recently about the BBC website and the way they report on womens football. As already mentioned, major headlines are always shown but there is a tab to access Championship related football news. It would make so much more sense to do the same for womens football as, at present, there will be a picture accompanied by a small headline mentioning either the player or the teams name. In a lot of cases, literally, the only way you can see or know if this relates to womens football is to look at the picture to see if they have tits, and that's surely not what they are wanting,

Well, it is now Jon Parkin has retired
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 15:42]
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 17:12 - Nov 17 with 1227 viewsPinnerPaul

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 05:04 - Nov 17 by stowmarketrange

In my experience of girls and women’s football over the last 10 years,I’ve seen so many 10 year olds starting out loving the opportunity of being able to play football outside of the school playground,where they never see anything of the ball because most schoolboys would rather get detention than pass to a girl.
Having a team of all girls playing together at the weekend gives them the opportunity to actually play.They are normally so enthusiastic and committed in their first few years.I think the main reasons are the lack of tackling and physical contact between the players.They get time on the ball that doesn’t normally occur in boys of the same age group.

The better and more physical girls get poached to play in mixed football until their later teenage years,when they are made to play only ladies football again.

In my own experience as a manager,coach,Lino and parent of my daughters teams over the last 10 years,I’ve noticed that when they reach year 10 at school is the crunch year.That is when a lot of promising football talent decide that there are too many others things to consider rather than playing football at the weekend.I had about 5 or 6 of my team just give up to concentrate on the 2 vital school years because they thought they wouldn’t have time to do both.
None of those girls returned to any football teams in the last 5 years,although a few more went to university and maybe joined teams there.
It might be a similar story in boys football,but as my grandson is only playing at U13’s level at the moment,so I’ll find out in the next year or two.

Consequently a lot of girls teams fold at U15 and U16 level,and it is only the more committed girls who continue their football,but here in Suffolk there are fewer teams to play against,which meant that my daughters team had to join the Essex league at U17 level,but they had to join an U18 league and go to places like Billericay and basildon with only 10 players normally.That team folded and she was forced to join another one for the following season at U18.That folded at the end of last season and she was forced to join another team for adult ladies football,which is a lot more physical than most of her team are used to playing against,and some of them have dropped out during the first few months of this season,which means they are struggling for players again.

I don’t think the pandemic has helped with retaining players interest in playing on a Sunday afternoon,but my daughter still enjoys playing and hopefully that will continue in the future.But a lot of players she started out with at age 9 have fallen by the wayside.
Having the games on Sunday afternoons means that few of the adult women’s players ever get to see live games played at the same time as theirs,but hopefully it might inspire more girls to take up and continue playing past the crunch years of 14,15 and 16.

Pinner referees some girls and women’s games,so it might be the same in his neck of the woods as it is in Suffolk?
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 5:09]

Interesting.

I tend to only officiate adult women's games, so not really across the girls side of the game here in Middlesex.

I DID referee an ESFA Under 15s girls trial match on Sunday - very good standard and no trouble whatsoever,

I'm refereeing a women's cup match this Sunday at Enfield Town.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024