Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs 17:39 - Dec 3 with 8639 viewsenfieldargh

One of my favourite Rangers.

No nonsense Fen hard as nails.

Shame I won't be able to hear a word he says

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 15:13 - Dec 6 with 1748 viewsNorthernr

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 15:08 - Dec 6 by Shadow

I don't disagree with that.

It is nice that we remember ALL players who played for us whether they were fans' favouriites or not, good or bad, long length or short stay.

However, in its current guise the Forever Rs still sees Marsh, Bowles and Parkes as the equals of Ready, Bankole and Hately. That will never be justifiable in my mind and it's about time that they introduced a different tier to acknowledge greatness.

All former Rs are equal but some are vastly more equal than others...

Quite a few of these names you're throwing out there - Bankole, Hateley, Goodridge - haven't been inducted and never would be.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 15:20 - Dec 6 with 1710 viewsShadow

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 15:13 - Dec 6 by Northernr

Quite a few of these names you're throwing out there - Bankole, Hateley, Goodridge - haven't been inducted and never would be.

Hopefully not but a list of the players who have been inducted shows that there are examples of players with not much more caliber or skill being honoured.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 15:24 - Dec 6 with 1695 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I think it's a great thing just as it is. It rewards skill and/or commitment and it builds up a history and a sense of belonging.

Having a Hall of Fame-type system based purely on skill would also be great but would have very few inductees, and I prefer the current system that rewards commitment alongside exclusivity.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 15:32 - Dec 6 with 1675 viewsNorthernr

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 15:20 - Dec 6 by Shadow

Hopefully not but a list of the players who have been inducted shows that there are examples of players with not much more caliber or skill being honoured.

Well, as others have said, and this debate comes round fairly regularly, it's not a Hall of Fame, it's not meant to be a Hall of Fame, and they've never pretended it is. They're not and have never said that Mancini is as good as Sinclair is as good as Marsh and so on. It's rewarding and remembering service, in the different forms that service may have come. If they were rolling scumbags like Barton and Bosingwa out, I'd be absolutely with you, but they're not so I'm not. Likewise, if they did a '50 greatest players' or 'player of the millennium' and Karl Ready was in there, I'd be with you, but they're not, so I'm not.

There was a time when Mark Lazarus would come on the podcast and talk about how regularly he gets invited back to his other clubs, and how long it's been since he heard from QPR. Now whenever I do interviews with the older boys, like Tony Currie, they all immediately mention Andy Sinton, what a great job he's done, how much better the club is at these things. That's a huge improvement, and a very good thing. It shows the club values its history and identity far more than it did.

Quite a few of the better ones have actually been the lesser known players. I always remember how well and warmly Mike Ferguson spoke on the pitch at half time, how much it seemed to mean to him to be invited back. He passed away not long after. If you were doing it solely on 'these are the 50 best players who've played for us' not only would it be over by now, rather than an ongoing thing, but you wouldn't get moments like that.

Overall it's a great thing. And an odd one to mither about.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 15:43 - Dec 6 with 1649 viewsCiderwithRsie

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 15:32 - Dec 6 by Northernr

Well, as others have said, and this debate comes round fairly regularly, it's not a Hall of Fame, it's not meant to be a Hall of Fame, and they've never pretended it is. They're not and have never said that Mancini is as good as Sinclair is as good as Marsh and so on. It's rewarding and remembering service, in the different forms that service may have come. If they were rolling scumbags like Barton and Bosingwa out, I'd be absolutely with you, but they're not so I'm not. Likewise, if they did a '50 greatest players' or 'player of the millennium' and Karl Ready was in there, I'd be with you, but they're not, so I'm not.

There was a time when Mark Lazarus would come on the podcast and talk about how regularly he gets invited back to his other clubs, and how long it's been since he heard from QPR. Now whenever I do interviews with the older boys, like Tony Currie, they all immediately mention Andy Sinton, what a great job he's done, how much better the club is at these things. That's a huge improvement, and a very good thing. It shows the club values its history and identity far more than it did.

Quite a few of the better ones have actually been the lesser known players. I always remember how well and warmly Mike Ferguson spoke on the pitch at half time, how much it seemed to mean to him to be invited back. He passed away not long after. If you were doing it solely on 'these are the 50 best players who've played for us' not only would it be over by now, rather than an ongoing thing, but you wouldn't get moments like that.

This. 100%.

I used to be both embarrassed and saddened by comments like those of Lazarus.

I'd actually say it is more important to invite the "lesser" players. Rodney Marsh doesn't need to be told he was an all-time great, he's neither stupid nor lacking ego. But getting players who were good honest servants back and showing that they are still remembered, that matters.

I think it probably matters to the players - a lot of them from the days when you couldn't retire at 40 after a career in football - but I know it sure as hell matters to me that the blokes I watched as a teenager or in my 20s should be remembered and still have a connection to the club, it's like seeing an old mate.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 15:56 - Dec 6 with 1627 viewsCiderwithRsie

Case in point: Stuart Wardley.

He was rubbish really, but he played his heart out and gave us some good times. His season for us was the absolute pinnacle of his career and one that he must have dined out on ever since. When he's an old man (checks calendar in case he bloody is an old man, no, I think I'm OK) he can tell his grandkids he played for QPR in the 1st Division (yes kids, that was what it was called).

I'd be more than happy to see him in Forever Rs because, well, why not? Never slagged us off or messed us about, did his best (such as it was), gave us all some goals to cheer in really, really bad times. I expect he'd be chuffed to bits and that is the point really.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 16:08 - Dec 6 with 1607 viewslongbottom

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 11:15 - Dec 6 by Antti_Heinola

Both fans and Andy Sinton have referenced his treatment. Some fans have apologised, Andy has been very gracious and also put his side that the club manipulated it to make him look like the bad guy. No one's 'forgotten' that, just as no one has forgotten the terrible time we gave Furs, before he became a legend. And he acknowledges that too.

Time heals, and so it should. Nothing wrong with that.

Not sure what's so 'very flawed' about it. It's only 'flawed' in the thinking of those who persist in believing it's some kind of Hall of Fame, when it isn't, and has never professed to be so.

Splendid post An tti. And in that spirit why not invite Alan Wilkes? It's only been 50 years since he was hounded out of the club despite being a decent enough footballer. Assuming he's still around of course.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 16:24 - Dec 6 with 1583 viewsPinnerPaul

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 11:15 - Dec 6 by Antti_Heinola

Both fans and Andy Sinton have referenced his treatment. Some fans have apologised, Andy has been very gracious and also put his side that the club manipulated it to make him look like the bad guy. No one's 'forgotten' that, just as no one has forgotten the terrible time we gave Furs, before he became a legend. And he acknowledges that too.

Time heals, and so it should. Nothing wrong with that.

Not sure what's so 'very flawed' about it. It's only 'flawed' in the thinking of those who persist in believing it's some kind of Hall of Fame, when it isn't, and has never professed to be so.

or that leaving the club for another club is somehow worse than committing an actual crime!

Always gets me when fans boo a player for that, when their own team invariably contains loads of players that erm.........came from other clubs!
Login to get fewer ads

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 16:27 - Dec 6 with 1578 viewsPinnerPaul

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 13:17 - Dec 6 by Shadow

If you want to make a case why Ernie Howe should be treated on level pegging with Gerry Francis - which is effectively what this club does - I'm honestly willing to read your justification with a view to change my opinion.

Sooooooo Ernie Howe should get a bag of chips and a wave to the crowd from the cheap seats, while Gerry gets the full on hospitality and interview on the pitch - yeah right!

Blimey, there's a LOT to get angry about right now, one way and another, but the Forever Rs isn't one of them!
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 16:46 - Dec 6 with 1547 viewsCiderwithRsie

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 16:27 - Dec 6 by PinnerPaul

Sooooooo Ernie Howe should get a bag of chips and a wave to the crowd from the cheap seats, while Gerry gets the full on hospitality and interview on the pitch - yeah right!

Blimey, there's a LOT to get angry about right now, one way and another, but the Forever Rs isn't one of them!

Presumably Mark Hateley gets handed a rotten potato in Batman Close?

Actually, I'm warming to this approach.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 17:06 - Dec 6 with 1508 viewsPinnerPaul

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 16:46 - Dec 6 by CiderwithRsie

Presumably Mark Hateley gets handed a rotten potato in Batman Close?

Actually, I'm warming to this approach.

Exactly, in fact poster actually advocates a tiered approach!

"Please welcome back into the bronze (not too much wild applause please) Forever Rs........."
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 18:04 - Dec 6 with 1481 viewsenfieldargh

For those of you who couldn't hear anything, here's the video of the offy in which you can hear TF but Billy not a lot.

Think we need a new tanoy system although would prefer a couple of speedy wing backs

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/welcome-back-terry-fenwick/

captains fantastic

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 19:10 - Dec 6 with 1418 viewsstevec

It’s great to see some of these players back here again, it’d be even better if you could hear them in SAR. Fenwick seemed very happy but it’s annoying when you can’t hear him putting it into words.

Must have passed me by or I ignored it, but I don’t remember Fenwick getting abuse. I actually like the fact we welcome most of our players when playing for opposition, seems much more classy unless they really shafted us.

Read the other day that Grealish got booed at Villa the other week, what kind of entitled morons must they have as supporters, the bloke reinvented their club.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 20:32 - Dec 6 with 1366 viewsHarbour

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 19:10 - Dec 6 by stevec

It’s great to see some of these players back here again, it’d be even better if you could hear them in SAR. Fenwick seemed very happy but it’s annoying when you can’t hear him putting it into words.

Must have passed me by or I ignored it, but I don’t remember Fenwick getting abuse. I actually like the fact we welcome most of our players when playing for opposition, seems much more classy unless they really shafted us.

Read the other day that Grealish got booed at Villa the other week, what kind of entitled morons must they have as supporters, the bloke reinvented their club.

We gave Lee Camp Peter Ramage great reception when they came back with Brum and Barnsley and off course Charlie a Standing ovation when he came back with WBA.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 20:40 - Dec 6 with 1349 viewsPunteR

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 15:32 - Dec 6 by Northernr

Barton might be a controvsial one but some fans won't view him like you do Norf. I remember seeing kids wearing replica shirts with his name on the back. He also captained the team.
Bosingwa on the other hand..

SWP anyone ?..

[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 20:47]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 01:07 - Dec 7 with 1207 viewsNorthernr

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 20:40 - Dec 6 by PunteR

Barton might be a controvsial one but some fans won't view him like you do Norf. I remember seeing kids wearing replica shirts with his name on the back. He also captained the team.
Bosingwa on the other hand..

SWP anyone ?..

[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 20:47]

I would have signed him when we did, and I was wrong, as were we for doing it. Should never have been indulged, tolerated and paid an obscene amount of money for as long as was, while mostly performing and behaving like a complete cnt. Having made that mistake once, were they to let him back in the place for anything other than managing an opponent, that's me done here I think.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 03:09 - Dec 7 with 1158 viewslightwaterhoop

Don Masson was at the club shop on Sunday signing copies of his autobiography.
It would have been a nice touch if he had been introduced to the fans at half time as well.Pleased to say he looked well.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2021 3:14]
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 07:40 - Dec 7 with 1106 viewsPunteR

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 01:07 - Dec 7 by Northernr

I would have signed him when we did, and I was wrong, as were we for doing it. Should never have been indulged, tolerated and paid an obscene amount of money for as long as was, while mostly performing and behaving like a complete cnt. Having made that mistake once, were they to let him back in the place for anything other than managing an opponent, that's me done here I think.

Not disagreeing with you on Barton but just making the point that fans have different view points and opinions of players. Even out beloved Faurlin was mates with Barton.

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 08:40 - Dec 7 with 1066 viewsstevec

Get the feeling with Barton you either act his mate or you’re his enemy.

Anyone who kicks their wife in the face is the lowest of the low in my book, in fact that should be the case in anyone’s book.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 08:58 - Dec 7 with 1043 viewsdmm

Just watched the HT interview with Fenwick. At 62 he looked as fit as a fiddle. Loved his multiple mentions of the 6-0 Ch***** drubbing. Of course, he knew to say the right things, but I think he's got good feelings for QPR. As others have said, a proper player.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 09:10 - Dec 7 with 1022 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 08:58 - Dec 7 by dmm

Just watched the HT interview with Fenwick. At 62 he looked as fit as a fiddle. Loved his multiple mentions of the 6-0 Ch***** drubbing. Of course, he knew to say the right things, but I think he's got good feelings for QPR. As others have said, a proper player.

Having watched that, Fenwick comes across so clearly but the interview speaks with all the clarity of a British rail announcer on a mixture of Disco's drugs!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 10:09 - Dec 7 with 984 viewsShadow

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 16:27 - Dec 6 by PinnerPaul

I'm not angry about it.

It's on a long list of things I don't like about QPR in 2021 but angry? Far from it.

As I said, it's all about the level pegging of crap players with our greats I don't like but you're more than welcome to hold a different opinion.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 10:39 - Dec 7 with 959 viewsPunteR

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 10:09 - Dec 7 by Shadow

I'm not angry about it.

It's on a long list of things I don't like about QPR in 2021 but angry? Far from it.

As I said, it's all about the level pegging of crap players with our greats I don't like but you're more than welcome to hold a different opinion.

It's not a hall of fame or the top 50 players who ever played for QPR.
It's not that difficult.

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 10:44 - Dec 7 with 941 viewsShadow

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 10:39 - Dec 7 by PunteR

It's not a hall of fame or the top 50 players who ever played for QPR.
It's not that difficult.

We've established that and I'm not saying it is.

This could go around in circles so for the last time until we have a proper Hall of Fame it places the mediocre with the great and I don't like that. Any project which sets out to say that Hogan Ephraim is an equal to Dave Thomas, for example, isn't for me. That's all I am saying.

You, and others, can feel what ever you want to feel about it.
Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 11:39 - Dec 7 with 877 viewsenfieldargh

Terry Fenwick Sunday 4everRs on 08:58 - Dec 7 by dmm

He was with us for 7 years, captained the side and always gave 100%.

Would love to see Venners out there but not sure he can come back to the UK?

captains fantastic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024