Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gay footballer gets abuse 10:02 - Jan 9 with 2611 viewsGloryHunter

Brave guy. I wonder what sort of reception he'd get playing in England?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/09/no-words-gay-australian-footbal
Gay footballer gets abuse on 10:21 - Jan 9 with 2518 viewsPaddyhoops

Sad but inevitable.
Gay footballer gets abuse on 10:39 - Jan 9 with 2461 viewsRangersw12

I think he would get the same reaction in most countries

Unfortunately some fans will do anything to give their team an advantage and if that means abusing a gay player to put him off his game then that's what some will do
Gay footballer gets abuse on 11:08 - Jan 9 with 2384 viewsstowmarketrange

Gay footballer gets abuse on 10:39 - Jan 9 by Rangersw12

I think he would get the same reaction in most countries

Unfortunately some fans will do anything to give their team an advantage and if that means abusing a gay player to put him off his game then that's what some will do

I know what you’re saying mate,but it shouldn’t be acceptable,and it needs to be highlighted as such.Luckily most normal fans don’t abuse players for the colour of their skin,so why should some people think it’s ok to abuse players because of their sexuality?

On a separate theme,we had the misfortune to have a man and a boy sat around us yesterday.It started with the man throwing a few f words around virtually as soon as the game started,but the boy,who I guess was about 11,quickly outdid him in the swearing stakes.It got worse in the 2nd half as Gray missed the open goal.This kid shouts out as loud as his little lungs could shout “You’re f@cking sh@t Gray.”And those around also heard the c bomb uttered by this child.
Now I may be getting old,but when did it become acceptable to let what I guess was his son swear as much as this kid did yesterday?And in the family stand too.We all swear a bit too much at times I guess,but this was definitely ott yesterday.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 11:28]
Gay footballer gets abuse on 12:47 - Jan 9 with 2206 viewsterryb

I've read that Conor Gallagher suffered homophobic abuse at Mill;wall yesterday.

No doubt this was in the spirit of their usual light heartedness!
Gay footballer gets abuse on 13:15 - Jan 9 with 2131 viewsngbqpr

Gay footballer gets abuse on 12:47 - Jan 9 by terryb

I've read that Conor Gallagher suffered homophobic abuse at Mill;wall yesterday.

May well have been a certain song we sing about Chelsea, which Liverpool targetted Billy Gilmour with.

Be good to kick that one out of our repertoire.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Gay footballer gets abuse on 13:16 - Jan 9 with 2130 viewsGroveR

Gay footballer gets abuse on 11:08 - Jan 9 by stowmarketrange

I know what you’re saying mate,but it shouldn’t be acceptable,and it needs to be highlighted as such.Luckily most normal fans don’t abuse players for the colour of their skin,so why should some people think it’s ok to abuse players because of their sexuality?

On a separate theme,we had the misfortune to have a man and a boy sat around us yesterday.It started with the man throwing a few f words around virtually as soon as the game started,but the boy,who I guess was about 11,quickly outdid him in the swearing stakes.It got worse in the 2nd half as Gray missed the open goal.This kid shouts out as loud as his little lungs could shout “You’re f@cking sh@t Gray.”And those around also heard the c bomb uttered by this child.
Now I may be getting old,but when did it become acceptable to let what I guess was his son swear as much as this kid did yesterday?And in the family stand too.We all swear a bit too much at times I guess,but this was definitely ott yesterday.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 11:28]

My kids can sing along with songs with swearing in like Magic Hat and Captain Jack but squeaking out random obscenities is embarrassing and a bit tourettey. I've never had to tell them this thankfully.

On the OP, I'm not speaking from lived experience but don't think homophobic abuse is the problem it was in the 80s and early 90s. Le Saux used to get it pretty constantly but that may have been down to being well-groomed and admitting to reading the Guardian in a time when footballers didn't openly do either.
Gay footballer gets abuse on 13:20 - Jan 9 with 2107 viewsstowmarketrange

Gay footballer gets abuse on 13:15 - Jan 9 by ngbqpr

May well have been a certain song we sing about Chelsea, which Liverpool targetted Billy Gilmour with.

Be good to kick that one out of our repertoire.

That song is up there with mourinho is gay for embarrassing songs.Change it to w@nkers or racists and it would be more appropriate.
Gay footballer gets abuse on 15:02 - Jan 9 with 1943 viewsBoston

God help us if Brighton get relegated.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Gay footballer gets abuse on 16:36 - Jan 9 with 1736 viewsDWQPR

I’m sure Justin Fashanu was still playing when he came out and the reaction soon dulled down as fans got bored. I suspect that nowadays notwithstanding the moronic song about Chel*** which in my view does nothing to inspire the team which I thought singing was all about, that at least QPR supporters would be more than accepting of an openly gay player playing for us or even against us.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Gay footballer gets abuse on 22:53 - Jan 9 with 1497 viewsLoftgirl

Gay footballer gets abuse on 12:47 - Jan 9 by terryb

Bantz, innit?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024