Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. 17:51 - Jan 29 with 11516 viewsSnipper

How the bloody hell did West Brom let him go?

The boy is Premiership class. The best signing of the four loan players last season by a distance.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 09:34 - Feb 11 with 787 viewsGeorgeKulscar

I'm surprised there are mixed opinions about Field's performance on Wednesday night. For me he did a great job against the quality of Tavernier and Crooks - especially Crooks who is a very good player and massive threat from midfield. I think without Field we would have lost the game comfortably. It was summed up in the second half when he popped up as the last man behind our CBs to block a goalbound shot.

I think Johansen is good, obviously intelligent, creative and great experience, but too often playing well below the level we know he can reach this season - petulant fouls and misplaced passes are often frustrating . I wonder if Hendrick might threaten him for that position - the little we saw of him on Wednesday was real quality. At least that competition is there and Johansen will have to either up his game or lose his place in the team.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 09:48 - Feb 11 with 753 viewsRBlock

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 17:44 - Feb 10 by ozranger

It is interesting to note that Field was fouled five times last night, exactly half the number of fouls that were given against Boro (of course, that does not include when the referee plays on). So, that either means he was targeted, he was very active, he holds on to the ball too long or, though rather doubtful, the referee thought he needed protection. I'll let you choose which one.

To me, it is the second. Like he has been in the past, Field has been very active over the park. That said, he is not as fast a we would like and that was clearly shown in one instance last night when he tried to go through the middle but was robbed and they had a break-away. However the recovery speed of Field was very good, getting back, tracking the ball and helping out the defence.

I do notice that he does suffer from the 'deer in the headlights' syndrome sometimes. He does tend to follow the ball after short passes leaving his man free and thus creating the need to be reactive instead of proactive. These are all part of the learning curve.

Strangely, what impressed me most was an incident in the second half. After the ball had just gone out of play and had gone all the way back to Marshall, the keeper sent a bullet long pass in Field's direction and his technique in trapping the ball was quite something to behold, killing it almost dead and then a soft volley to Odubajo to take the throw, all in one motion.

As I noted above, he was shielding the ball when we were under pressure, sticking his body in between it and the defender, and drawing the foul after being bumped from behind. Field did that at least three times against Boro. It was something that Eze was also incredibly skilled at, ball retention under pressure, and means we have a great outlet in a high press.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 09:50 - Feb 11 with 749 viewsBklynRanger

In terms of balance I said somewhere else I thought Crooks was getting the better of Field for much of the game, particularly in arial challenges. He won't come up against too many players that tall. Plus he's a Man U fan who'd just beat his boyhood team so morale would be high. So it was a tough evening for Sam, and all the players really.

But he also took a lot of credit out of that situation - kept at it, never hid, got into good positions, disrupted play, used the ball well for the most part though their pressure did cause the odd issue. All his usual stuff some of which does come across that bit more live I'd say. Overall Sam's still not long back and that will have done no harm to his rejuvenation.

While I was checking how tall Crooks is (6'4" apparently) I found a couple of interesting overlaps with us: he lost out to Jordan Cousins for League One Apprentice of the Year (no comment). Also Warburton had him at the other Rangers (not the Berwick one...or the Stafford one) on a 4 year contract but he only played 3 games and went back to League 1 a year later. Two great seasons at Rotherham and Middlesborough bought him this past summer - wouldn't be surprised if Warbs had renewed his interest but got priced out based on our budget and existing targets.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024