Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. 17:51 - Jan 29 with 11513 viewsSnipper

How the bloody hell did West Brom let him go?

The boy is Premiership class. The best signing of the four loan players last season by a distance.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 08:47 - Jan 30 with 3135 viewsozranger

While we are all giving praise to Field for his work in tackling, distributing, etc, I think it is probably more important to view him within the context of what he does to the other players. We have already seen how much freedom that has given JoJo to play further forward, released from the shackles of having to play in front of the defence. It also gives Amos that luxury of being a bit more 'on the front foot' instead of cautious, something we have seen of Amos in the past. Field's getting around the whole park also means that both wing backs can move a bit more forward as well knowing that Field will help cover for them - a role you see Ball trying to do as well but, no offence to him, not as well. Of course, that, in turn means we can attack more down the two wings and get more crosses in for the likes of Dykes, Charlie and Andre. Field is getting more confidence game after game and that is helping the whole team.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 11:06 - Jan 30 with 2946 viewsquickpassrotter

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 17:58 - Jan 29 by NorthantsHoop

All over the pitch today, super player, he has been getting his mojo back for weeks now, was superb up at Coventry and he really gets Johansen going as well. We look a class outfit with these two playing alongside each other. Also Amos is starting to motor now as well.

Every side needs a player(s) like Field. Thought he was outstanding again yesterday. Covered every blade of grass, won his tackles, broke up their play - and then played good intelligent balls. Great engine (like Amos) and as pointed out, an absolute monster. Key player for us now I think.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 11:17 - Jan 30 with 2892 viewsNorthernr

Love him.

And you look at the state West Brom are in atm, how on earth was he surplus to requirements there?
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 11:23 - Jan 30 with 2873 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Sam Field MOM for me.
He was a nightmare for Reading. Stopping them in their tracks and nicking the ball off them.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 11:54 - Jan 30 with 2803 viewsToast_R

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 11:17 - Jan 30 by Northernr

Love him.

And you look at the state West Brom are in atm, how on earth was he surplus to requirements there?

I reckon Big Fat Sam had a lot to do with that. WBA's approach was all about avoiding relegation at all costs with little to no after thought about the following season. West Brom's short term approach is our gain all round. And they still have Phillips lolloping about.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2022 11:54]
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 12:02 - Jan 30 with 2771 viewsw7r

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 23:19 - Jan 29 by sdm1508

It's the first time I have seen Sam Field live and in the flesh. I couldn't get over his frame. I knew he was quite tall but didn't realise he has some muscular size to him too. A proper unit. Reads the game well and covers the ground quickly. Partly due to how well he reads the game. Also good at the dark arts. Not worried to do a much needed foul to stop the other teams momentum.
This is the first time I have seen this team live and they are all quite big physical players. We are not a team who will be bullied

Same for me, not seen this side in the flesh before today but Field is a fine specimen for sure. Made a few timely tackles right in front of me in Ellerslie and he’s not afraid to put himself about. I was impressed with his strength and control a few high balls he got under and controlled with his chest, then to foot and a pass or a hoof if required. He looks like a fantastic addition.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 13:45 - Feb 10 with 2497 viewsLongsufferingR

What an immense performance last night. The number of blocks, tackles and interceptions he racks up is superhuman. His only critic will be the kit man who has to get his completely mud drenched kit back to something looking like blue and white in time for Saturday.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 14:20 - Feb 10 with 2352 viewsTheChef

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 13:45 - Feb 10 by LongsufferingR

What an immense performance last night. The number of blocks, tackles and interceptions he racks up is superhuman. His only critic will be the kit man who has to get his completely mud drenched kit back to something looking like blue and white in time for Saturday.

Soup herb.

Just imagine where we'd be had he not missed the first few months of the season?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 14:36 - Feb 10 with 2300 viewsRBlock

He keeps the ball under pressure really well also. Doesn't give up, shields it, and draws fouls to relieve the pressue.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 14:39 - Feb 10 with 2283 viewsnix

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 14:20 - Feb 10 by TheChef

Soup herb.

Just imagine where we'd be had he not missed the first few months of the season?

Yes, great point. We really missed someone who can do what he does. Remember when Stef was trying to do it on his own against Fulham?
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 16:11 - Feb 10 with 2105 viewsolderR

Agreed, he was everywhere last night. If only we had another like him
in midfield.
Stef could have folded his kit and worn it again on Saturday .
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 16:25 - Feb 10 with 2053 viewsParkRoyalR

Thought had a very decent game last night, still not sure how we got him for the price we did, but he's played better against WBA, Coventry etc imo.

Not sure if early knock made a difference, being out-numbered in midfield (how many times was he surrounded by 2 Boro players) or Stef not being a 100% (stomach bug) but did'nt think Field was as brilliant as he has been in last few games.

Still very very decent performance epitomized by the tackle on 90th minute on bye-line to stop their player counter-attacking. Like Willock and Dunne, great piece of business for the money.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 16:39 - Feb 10 with 1996 viewsTheChef

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 14:39 - Feb 10 by nix

Yes, great point. We really missed someone who can do what he does. Remember when Stef was trying to do it on his own against Fulham?

Good grief, I had tried to forget about that!!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 17:12 - Feb 10 with 1887 viewsStainrod

Maybe I was watching another game but Boro dominated the midfield and Field was one of the two players in our central midfield?

Don’t get me wrong, I like the guy and he has impressed since coming back.

But on last night’s showing the likes of Crooks are better.

As a fan base think we have group think - Sam and Dunne can do absolutely no wrong.

Whereas against top teams in this division they sometimes they just look ok to me. No disgrace in that but maybe not quite worthy of some of the superlatives imho
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 17:18 - Feb 10 with 1842 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 17:12 - Feb 10 by Stainrod

Maybe I was watching another game but Boro dominated the midfield and Field was one of the two players in our central midfield?

Don’t get me wrong, I like the guy and he has impressed since coming back.

But on last night’s showing the likes of Crooks are better.

As a fan base think we have group think - Sam and Dunne can do absolutely no wrong.

Whereas against top teams in this division they sometimes they just look ok to me. No disgrace in that but maybe not quite worthy of some of the superlatives imho

I was just going to post something similar, Stainrod, and ask if Field was maybe a player who was more impressive watched live as I'm conscious that I've only ever seen him on the streams.

I was impressed with him last year, even more since his return from injury, but I thought his passing was only average last night and that he didn't win as much possession as in the few games beforehand.

As you mention Dunne, I've seen him lauded a lot today. I thought he had a fine game but he made a bad mistake for their first goal, and that seems to have been dismissed or forgotten.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 17:29 - Feb 10 with 1789 viewsbosh67

Our threads do tend to go along the lines of....

Andre Gray - Chancer, Wrongun, outstanding, disgrace, worldie, shite, immense.
Charlie Austin - God, saviour, past it, amazing, shite, love him, disgrace, amazing.
Sam Field - fùcking monster, disappointing, massive, crap, great, not as good as.
Vicky Pollard - No, but yeah, but no.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 17:39 - Feb 10 with 1754 viewsdmm

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 17:18 - Feb 10 by BrianMcCarthy

I was just going to post something similar, Stainrod, and ask if Field was maybe a player who was more impressive watched live as I'm conscious that I've only ever seen him on the streams.

I was impressed with him last year, even more since his return from injury, but I thought his passing was only average last night and that he didn't win as much possession as in the few games beforehand.

As you mention Dunne, I've seen him lauded a lot today. I thought he had a fine game but he made a bad mistake for their first goal, and that seems to have been dismissed or forgotten.

Field's passing success rate last night was 64%, rather lower than it should be. Johansen's was 79%. However, I do like Field and, as others have said, he does a lot of the dirty work so others can do the creative stuff.

Dunne did fail with his intervention that led to their first goal but he was left alone to do it with 3 Rangers players going into to block a shot just beforehand.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 17:42 - Feb 10 with 1729 viewsMedwayR

I think Field was very good last night until around the hour mark when he faded, I thought Johansen was poor and Field had to do the work of 2 men which is probably why he faded.

Poll: Who’s better?

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 17:44 - Feb 10 with 1712 viewsozranger

It is interesting to note that Field was fouled five times last night, exactly half the number of fouls that were given against Boro (of course, that does not include when the referee plays on). So, that either means he was targeted, he was very active, he holds on to the ball too long or, though rather doubtful, the referee thought he needed protection. I'll let you choose which one.

To me, it is the second. Like he has been in the past, Field has been very active over the park. That said, he is not as fast a we would like and that was clearly shown in one instance last night when he tried to go through the middle but was robbed and they had a break-away. However the recovery speed of Field was very good, getting back, tracking the ball and helping out the defence.

I do notice that he does suffer from the 'deer in the headlights' syndrome sometimes. He does tend to follow the ball after short passes leaving his man free and thus creating the need to be reactive instead of proactive. These are all part of the learning curve.

Strangely, what impressed me most was an incident in the second half. After the ball had just gone out of play and had gone all the way back to Marshall, the keeper sent a bullet long pass in Field's direction and his technique in trapping the ball was quite something to behold, killing it almost dead and then a soft volley to Odubajo to take the throw, all in one motion.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 17:47 - Feb 10 with 1697 viewsParkRoyalR

Agree with both your points Brian, Dunne's almost first mistake for me as thought he should have done better with the block and Field live is very impressive as does so much graft all over the pitch, but whether they were a younger more athletic team they did seem to set about Field in numbers which made it a difficult game for him to be as dominant as he has been of late.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 18:45 - Feb 10 with 1546 viewsLongsufferingR

Seems to some conflating of players' performances from a single game with their standards as a player overall. On both this thread and the George Thomas one, I came on to say they had an outstanding game (Field last night and Thomas v Coventry). I didn't mention in either case how good they were as players in general but some people seem to take it as being blinkered to their drawbacks, when it's not that at all. Just pointing out when a player has a particularly good game.

Having said that, Field is fcking awesome!
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 18:56 - Feb 10 with 1505 viewsParkRoyalR

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 18:45 - Feb 10 by LongsufferingR

Seems to some conflating of players' performances from a single game with their standards as a player overall. On both this thread and the George Thomas one, I came on to say they had an outstanding game (Field last night and Thomas v Coventry). I didn't mention in either case how good they were as players in general but some people seem to take it as being blinkered to their drawbacks, when it's not that at all. Just pointing out when a player has a particularly good game.

Having said that, Field is fcking awesome!

And Thomas played the last 15-20 minutes at Coventry like I expect all our Substitutes to do,

Put 90 minutes running into 15-20 minutes, continually pressed the oppo player in possession, always showed for the ball, retained possession to let the defence step up, and hurt the opposition when he found space,

Thomas did all this at Coventry which is why I'd have to have like to have seen him (or Amos) off the bench last night rather than when we changed to two up top.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 19:24 - Feb 10 with 1424 viewsdmm

Some very good overall Sam Field stats from last nights game:

Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 21:37 - Feb 10 with 1285 viewsStainrod

Thank you Brian.

I was in the ground and that was my impression also. Another poster commented Sam was fouled a lot but that was (again IMHO) because he dawdled on the ball several times and was quite lucky to get free kicks when basically he went down too easily (tho fair play I guess in the modern game, you say he "earned" the free kick).

Don't want to overstate it, think he was fine. As was Dunne overall. But it is just quite noticeable that as you say Dunne drops an absolute clanger and there is no comment about it, Field was owned in midfield really with some very wayward passing under pressure, yet it isn't commented on. I'm not one to dig out players so that's OK, but I just hope when one or two other players who maybe aren't quite such crowd favourites have very average games they are also cut some slack.
Sam Field is a fùcking monster. on 07:41 - Feb 11 with 1096 viewscaliforniahoop

Field in my eyes was the first signing I wanted last summer, that said, Jordy was the second I wanted, I still think he will come good also!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024