Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Wilder's midas touch 15:45 - Feb 10 with 2999 viewsRed_Ranger

I saw a team play very well against us last last night.
In my opinion they played a high pressing game and were very committed , full of hard work & team spirit.
Can anyone shed more light on their game and what chris wilder has done to get them playing so well?
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 15:52 - Feb 10 with 2937 viewsNorthernr

A couple of really noticeable things for me...
- it's on the floor now. It wasn't when we played them in August when they had Ikpeazu up front as plan A, B and C.
- it's much more attacking, they commit big numbers to going forwards where, again, August was basically up to a remote big lad and see if Crooks can smash somebody off the knock downs.
- The space has gone. The gaps between defence and midfield, and midfield and attack were vast at their place. We had an absolute field day. This hasn't been totally eradicated - see the first goal last night - but they're much more compact, they move around the field as a team, there aren't great yawning gaps for opposition to play around in.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 16:21 - Feb 10 with 2788 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 15:52 - Feb 10 by Northernr

A couple of really noticeable things for me...
- it's on the floor now. It wasn't when we played them in August when they had Ikpeazu up front as plan A, B and C.
- it's much more attacking, they commit big numbers to going forwards where, again, August was basically up to a remote big lad and see if Crooks can smash somebody off the knock downs.
- The space has gone. The gaps between defence and midfield, and midfield and attack were vast at their place. We had an absolute field day. This hasn't been totally eradicated - see the first goal last night - but they're much more compact, they move around the field as a team, there aren't great yawning gaps for opposition to play around in.

Yes I though they absolutely dominated midfield at times and appeared to have acres of space, took me a while to work out that was all of their own making being a combination of movement, pressing, accurate ball to feet passing and sheer numbers, very impressive.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 16:23 - Feb 10 with 2771 viewsslmrstid

Given his overall record over the years I just presumed he's found a way to break the matrix and has a "cheat" tactic that the opposing computer can't cope with like you used to be able to do in the old Championship Manager games.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 16:34 - Feb 10 with 2716 viewsNorthernr

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 16:23 - Feb 10 by slmrstid

Given his overall record over the years I just presumed he's found a way to break the matrix and has a "cheat" tactic that the opposing computer can't cope with like you used to be able to do in the old Championship Manager games.

Take over man utd at the start at the same time, spend £30m on Trevor Sinclair to give you a war chest.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 16:38 - Feb 10 with 2686 viewsTheChef

I'd also add high intensity running and fitness levels - they didn't seem to stop chasing us all night, hence we coughed up possession a lot more than usual.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 16:45 - Feb 10 with 2655 viewsqprd

as far as championship teams go, their patience and intricacy in the final third was second to none... before their second goal, they strung together what felt like 20 passes in the final third... ball playing championship teams like qpr are patient but those consecutive passes are taking place in midfield rather than the final third....everytime we cleared our lines felt like a victory...

hard to believe they went from warnock to that in such a short period of time

other than fulham, i thought they were the best team we've played all season
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 16:56 - Feb 10 with 2570 viewsTheChef

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 16:45 - Feb 10 by qprd

as far as championship teams go, their patience and intricacy in the final third was second to none... before their second goal, they strung together what felt like 20 passes in the final third... ball playing championship teams like qpr are patient but those consecutive passes are taking place in midfield rather than the final third....everytime we cleared our lines felt like a victory...

A little bit like us in some ways, keeping the ball on the deck and probing angles etc. They weren't willing to sling in a cross just for the sake of it.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 16:56 - Feb 10 with 2572 viewsMick_S

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 16:45 - Feb 10 by qprd

I’d go along with that, I thought they were rather good last night; keep that up and they’ll be ok. If I wasn’t bricking it I’d have enjoyed that match.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Login to get fewer ads

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 17:34 - Feb 10 with 2460 viewsRangersw12

I think what's telling from last night was that Boro were playing near their best yet we were farely below and still got a draw.

I think that says more about them than it does about us.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 17:37 - Feb 10 with 2431 viewsNorthernr

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 17:34 - Feb 10 by Rangersw12

I think what's telling from last night was that Boro were playing near their best yet we were farely below and still got a draw.

4 points from them this season - that'll do very nicely indeed. Come May I bet plenty of others would swap their Boro haul for ours.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 17:41 - Feb 10 with 2417 viewsPaddyhoops

Best team we've played this season, Bournemouth included.
I honestly thought they would run out of steam in the last Fifteen minutes but they got stronger.
Despite being outplayed I thought it was cracking entertainment from start to finish. We will play much better and lose this season.
Good point last night.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 17:50 - Feb 10 with 2384 viewslondonscottish

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 17:41 - Feb 10 by Paddyhoops

Best team we've played this season, Bournemouth included.
I honestly thought they would run out of steam in the last Fifteen minutes but they got stronger.
Despite being outplayed I thought it was cracking entertainment from start to finish. We will play much better and lose this season.
Good point last night.

Yup.

There was an absolutely mental run of Boro corners towards the end of the second half.

I was more than happy that Rangers came away with a point.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 18:20 - Feb 10 with 2269 viewsjtuck

Like others, I was hugely impressed by the way Boro played with passing to feet paramount, allied to press and tempo. Wilder also talks a good game...you can catch up with his post match quotes at newspaper site Teeside Live. He was quite complimentary about Rangers. Big flaw for me with Boro is what also hampered his Sheff U teams: lack of a really good goalscorer. Sporar and Watmore do not cut it. Would take our strikers over theirs.

LAranger

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 18:26 - Feb 10 with 2237 viewsWestbourneR

Long thought Wilder one of the best managers in the country. Was amazed Shef Utd sacked him - yes they were getting relegated from the Prem but he'd got promoted in consecutive seasons with a League One squad.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 18:31 - Feb 10 with 2216 viewsstevec

Reminded me of the Sheffield United side that came down here three/four years ago, with David Brooks at his finest, this time with the Jones lad looking a class act.

Think we got a result that night too, but they went up and we certainly didn’t.

Love their movement, really exciting to watch. One to avoid if we make the play offs.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 19:29 - Feb 10 with 2016 viewsLowerloftLad

I was impressed with there play, I feel we needed to tweak our midfield as we was clearly being overrun, Boro Have 3 games in 8 days due to the cup,so would be interested to see if they can keep them intentasty levels as high as they did last night.

We did catch them out a few times in the first half though as we caught them on the press, I felt the dykes, willock and chair link up play in the first half was fantastic.

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 20:58 - Feb 10 with 1843 viewsM40R

Yes, that was a a striking display of energy and running by 'Brough (why are they always called 'Boro?). Our players rarely had any time in the ball. It was almost like one of those old fashioned cup ties where the underdog ran on emotion, motivation and adrenaline and just blitzed the opposition. So I wonder if them just coming off the Manure triumph - and us bewildered by the Peterborough game - had something to do with it? I'd be amazed if they could play at that tempo each week.

The other thing I noted was how they often seemed to outman us around the wider areas just before the box. Our wing back and covering mid-fielder often seemed one short, for example their second goal. Or maybe their greater running power just made it seem that they had more men!

Final comment is that in that intense period when our goal was under siege and we could not get out , we were a bit naive in not going down with a few injuries just to get a breather and slow their momentum.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 22:00 - Feb 10 with 1754 viewsgolborne

Effective, results driven championship football, but it ain’t for me. It’s a bit Holloway with bells on. I want to be entertained and there ain’t one player in that team that does it for me. The right wing back is pretty good, but every time Wallace positioned himself, so that he couldn’t get past him and stay on his right, he stopped and played it back, or inside. He really didn’t fancy it on his left. Did well for the meg though.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 22:40 - Feb 10 with 1668 viewsMyke

They were not nearly as effective at Blackburn a couple of weeks ago. Had loads of possession like last night, but not nearly as dangerous with it. Felt Blackburn managed to keep them at arms-length from their goal, which we failed to do last night.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 22:52 - Feb 10 with 1640 viewsStainrod

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 17:34 - Feb 10 by Rangersw12

I keep reading that we are not playing at our best - and of course I know what you mean. We have seen some sublime goals/ moves this season. But in terms of whole matches where we have played to really high intensity? Not so many, all season. Warbs has done brilliantly with the resources he has available and several players in our squad have great potential, but as a team maybe this is our best when we come up against a good side?
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 23:14 - Feb 10 with 1600 viewsNorthernr

Here’s a stat for you - 2nd goal last night came at the end of 26 pass move. In warnock’s last game in charge they completed 27 passes in the entire second half.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 07:21 - Feb 11 with 1448 viewsdistortR

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 23:14 - Feb 10 by Northernr

Here’s a stat for you - 2nd goal last night came at the end of 26 pass move. In warnock’s last game in charge they completed 27 passes in the entire second half.

Albert just figured that such a good period of possession deserved a goal, and it seemed unlikely that any of their forwards could provide it..............
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 09:02 - Feb 11 with 1359 viewsBurnleyhoop

Chris Wilder's midas touch on 18:31 - Feb 10 by stevec

Reminded me of the Sheffield United side that came down here three/four years ago, with David Brooks at his finest, this time with the Jones lad looking a class act.

Think we got a result that night too, but they went up and we certainly didn’t.

Love their movement, really exciting to watch. One to avoid if we make the play offs.

Not much chance of that if we want to win the play offs!

Question is, how do we deal with a 90 minute press?
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 09:37 - Feb 11 with 1284 viewsMalintabuk

Amazing stat that. I couldn't get to the game and was watching on Sky
I was saying to Mrs MinT during that move that someone from us should take one for the team, and haul someone to the ground to break that move up.
But don't begrudge too much the goal as it was sublime football from them.
Chris Wilder's midas touch on 09:46 - Feb 11 with 1268 viewsterryb

I might be alone, but I thought we defended the 26 pass move very well until Jones(?) decided to take a risk & nutmeg Wallace.

All across the pitch we closed them down & denied the space to get behind us. It was textbookfor 25 passes!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024