Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread 18:44 - Feb 8 with 33463 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Sticking my neck out here to start the game thread. If this all goes terrible wrong I'll retreat back into my shell.

This one is getting extra hype, and rightfully so. Should be a good litmus test.

1-0 Rangers. Field 71'.
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 10:07 - Feb 10 with 1393 viewsQPRSteve

According to WLS, Johansen had a stomach bug, so that explains the slightly below par performance.
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 10:54 - Feb 10 with 1332 viewsed_83

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 06:59 - Feb 10 by davman

Agree with most of this, the exception being Dickie - I thought he was very timid with the ball and defaulted to a sideways ball to Dunne for most of the game and was not as willing as he was early season to break the lines by running forward.

Would like to see Sanderson in his place at the moment.

They shut us down really, really effectively. The passes to Midfield and to our wing backs were blocked off for most of the game and they combined that with a high press. This meant that we went long and although Dykes worked hard and got a few flick ons, neither he nor Gray have a back to goal game and so we never kept the ball.

They, like Forest are a reason we need to grab 2nd; I would not fancy us over two legs against either of them...

I thought Dickie was very solid defensively (noticed that Boro’s 2nd goal and most of their most promising attacks came down their right wing / our left) and I thought he made a decent number of those surging forward runs. He ended up passing sideways only because Boro shut down his forward passing options so well, rather than because he wasn’t looking for them. Suspect Sanderson will come in at some point regardless of form given the number of fixtures coming up.

Agree about facing Boro or Forest over two legs on current form, but who knows where we’ll all be by May? Think we showed that we’ve got enough to pose teams problems even when we’re below our best.
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:25 - Feb 10 with 1268 viewsPinnerPaul

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 21:55 - Feb 9 by stainrods_elbow

Feels like a hard-earned point for us, and will likely feel to them like two dropped. They absolutely mullered us in that last 20 minutes or so, and were far more convincing for me throughout - as you might expect from a side that dumped Manure out of the cup while we clutched defeat from the jaws of the mighty Peterboro. On the basis of that game, I'd be amazed if they don't hit the playoffs and wouldn't fancy us in them. They were a cut above tonight, and should have won it.

We worked hard, Chair scored a lovely goal, but rarely put together any fluent or incisive passages of play, looked shipshod at the back (though did manage some lifesaving blocks), and Marshall kept us in it. We just don't cut it up front, whether it's Dykes playing the lone striker with minimal to no support, Dykes and Gray consistently failing to work in tandem, or Charlie hobbling us. Hendrick was probably our best player by the end, but I wouldn't give anyone else more than a 6 apart from the keeper.

Will be interested to see how others saw it. I'm relieved with a draw. We've gained on Blackburn, lost grond on Bournemouth, but that was a glass half empty performance for me that saps my confidence.

I think Dunne deserved more than a 6, guy sitting next to me last night, thinks he will be a serious player, he's more than halfway there already IMHO!
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:27 - Feb 10 with 1259 viewsPinnerPaul

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 22:27 - Feb 9 by Stanisgod

Obviously lost his 2 watches as he only played the original 4 minutes, didnt bother with the extra 4 for their injury. Weird.

He signalled 4 minutes as their guy was injured (89' 55" something like that), once we restarted he played the 4 minutes.

Could have added a minute on for the timewasting in the 4, but as Boro had the ball when he did blow up, I wasn't that fussed!
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:30 - Feb 10 with 1240 viewsPinnerPaul

Thought ref had a decent game - usual caveat, only seen it live from T block!

Very much as per the current trend of letting the game flow, always going to be one or two fouls/no fouls to disagree with and maybe 1 yellow short for them (For the late one on Willock 2nd half), their pen shout I was too far away to really judge, but didn't look that convincing from my view.

Overall I expect Clive to give him a solid 7 (No pressure! )
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:42 - Feb 10 with 1224 viewsMrSheen

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:30 - Feb 10 by PinnerPaul

Thought ref had a decent game - usual caveat, only seen it live from T block!

Very much as per the current trend of letting the game flow, always going to be one or two fouls/no fouls to disagree with and maybe 1 yellow short for them (For the late one on Willock 2nd half), their pen shout I was too far away to really judge, but didn't look that convincing from my view.

Overall I expect Clive to give him a solid 7 (No pressure! )

I thought he was too lax about tackles from behind, which the defenders soon noticed. Dykes got a lot of rough treatment, and the one on Willock was really poor, he was never in the game afterwards. The players then think they have to do their own enforcement. I'm not sure what happened to the Boro player at the end (far side of the pitch for me), but it started with him diving in on Field, who may have given him something on the way through.
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:46 - Feb 10 with 1216 viewsPinnerPaul

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:42 - Feb 10 by MrSheen

I thought he was too lax about tackles from behind, which the defenders soon noticed. Dykes got a lot of rough treatment, and the one on Willock was really poor, he was never in the game afterwards. The players then think they have to do their own enforcement. I'm not sure what happened to the Boro player at the end (far side of the pitch for me), but it started with him diving in on Field, who may have given him something on the way through.

Its all opinions isn't it.

The one on Dykes 1st half, both me and my neighbour thought it was fine - Dykes too slow.

Their most serious injury - Wilder said it was just a block tackle, no one's fault and as it was only about 6 feet away from him, we'll take that explanation I think!
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:49 - Feb 10 with 1191 viewsTheChef

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:42 - Feb 10 by MrSheen

Yeah at least a couple of times Fry took Dykes out off the ball and the ref did nothing.

Dykes had a good game last night, arguably some of the best hold-up play I've seen from him so far.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:56 - Feb 10 with 1175 viewsMrSheen

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:46 - Feb 10 by PinnerPaul

Its all opinions isn't it.

The one on Dykes 1st half, both me and my neighbour thought it was fine - Dykes too slow.

Their most serious injury - Wilder said it was just a block tackle, no one's fault and as it was only about 6 feet away from him, we'll take that explanation I think!

I couldn't see the tackle myself, but one of the Boro players made a stamping gesture at the ref, though that happens all the time...

The ref was at least consistent in his standards, which makes it more frustrating that Gray so rarely challenges without giving a free kick away.
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:58 - Feb 10 with 1167 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Few comments

Work on the floodlights has made a huge difference to how the game looks on tv. Well Done!

Marshall excellent save in the first half from the close range header

The first Middlesboro goal should have been blocked and cleared by Jimmy Dunne - he missed the ball in the lead up to the goal.

A decent result against a good team.

Middlesboro, Notts Forest and Sheff Utd all playing very well.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2022 11:59]
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 12:04 - Feb 10 with 1140 viewsParkRoyalR

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:49 - Feb 10 by TheChef

Yeah at least a couple of times Fry took Dykes out off the ball and the ref did nothing.

Dykes had a good game last night, arguably some of the best hold-up play I've seen from him so far.

Agree, unfortunately too many Referees and Linesmen 'ball-watch' which is why Fry was able to get away with blocking Dykes runs off the ball.

Great header to put Chair through but equally pleased with press which led to Lumley error as Wilder acknowledged defender should have played down the line but Dykes blocked that option and forced back-pass to Lumley. Great headed clearance at back post in last few minutes too when they were on the front-foot.

Warbs called it 100% right about losing too many duals, and a little like winning the scrum in rugby, with SJ off-form we just could'nt get on the front foot enough in the middle of the park to get the ball out-wide and exploit Dykes aerial ability as thought he had the beating of Fry and McNair in the air last night.
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 12:08 - Feb 10 with 1125 viewskensalriser

It's Nottm Forest, County have the Notts abbreviation - the first word in Forest's name is Nottingham, and in County's Nottinghamshire. Sorry for the pedantry, but I don't think we'd be happy if we were always being called Kings Park Rangers.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2022 12:10]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 12:32 - Feb 10 with 1067 viewsMrSheen

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 12:08 - Feb 10 by kensalriser

It's Nottm Forest, County have the Notts abbreviation - the first word in Forest's name is Nottingham, and in County's Nottinghamshire. Sorry for the pedantry, but I don't think we'd be happy if we were always being called Kings Park Rangers.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2022 12:10]

Shouldn't we then be King's Park Rangers? Sorry for the pedantry.
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 13:28 - Feb 10 with 939 viewsTheChef

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 12:04 - Feb 10 by ParkRoyalR

Agree, unfortunately too many Referees and Linesmen 'ball-watch' which is why Fry was able to get away with blocking Dykes runs off the ball.

Great header to put Chair through but equally pleased with press which led to Lumley error as Wilder acknowledged defender should have played down the line but Dykes blocked that option and forced back-pass to Lumley. Great headed clearance at back post in last few minutes too when they were on the front-foot.

Warbs called it 100% right about losing too many duals, and a little like winning the scrum in rugby, with SJ off-form we just could'nt get on the front foot enough in the middle of the park to get the ball out-wide and exploit Dykes aerial ability as thought he had the beating of Fry and McNair in the air last night.

Field was immense yet again - not helped by SJ having a bit of a stinker; he's really not been quite the same as last season but I get the feeling he has not been 100% fit at any point.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 15:29 - Feb 10 with 872 viewskensalriser

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 12:32 - Feb 10 by MrSheen

Shouldn't we then be King's Park Rangers? Sorry for the pedantry.

I don't think so, we're not Queen's Park Rangers.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 17:30 - Feb 10 with 775 viewsPinnerPaul

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 11:56 - Feb 10 by MrSheen

I couldn't see the tackle myself, but one of the Boro players made a stamping gesture at the ref, though that happens all the time...

The ref was at least consistent in his standards, which makes it more frustrating that Gray so rarely challenges without giving a free kick away.

The funny thing while their player was being treated was another Boro player who had been 'hurt' just before that - rolled around on the floor, making those frantic hand signals that imply his life is in danger.

Everyone ignored him, Boro had the ball and then the real injury took place so no one was watching him at all.

Eventually he got up and jogged 50 yards to tell the ref what a terrible tackle it was & how badly he was hurt!
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 17:32 - Feb 10 with 758 viewsPinnerPaul

Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 12:04 - Feb 10 by ParkRoyalR

TBF to the poor old assistants, not sure how you expect them to watch ball in/out, the offside line, any fouls in their credible area AND off the ball incidents.

Ref has to follow the ball as well for obvious reasons.

Some things get missed - that's life - can't see everything.
Must Win Match of the Season Part 29 - Boro Game Thread on 17:37 - Feb 10 with 733 viewsNorthernr

I thought the referee was great last night, bar my usual complaint that 4 mins added to the end was laughable. Contributed to a fantastic game which I really enjoyed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024