Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. 21:28 - Feb 16 with 2990 viewsmarkrtid

Kraftwerk. Computer Love.
Boring cover and that bloke cannot sing but wow! Way beyond its time and I'm so glad they made that lp.
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 21:34 - Feb 16 with 2954 viewsqprxtc

Roman Holliday - Cookin’ on the Roof.

It’s indescribably crap so I won’t.

But I like the bastard. It’s awful but I like it.

Don’t try to f ucking stop it.
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 21:40 - Feb 16 with 2928 viewsEsox_Lucius

Country Joe & The Fish Feel, I Like I'm Fixin' to die. I bought it for the title track and didn't like a single other song on it but through constant playing over the years I would say at least seven of the songs are eminently listenable.

The grass is always greener.

Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 21:43 - Feb 16 with 2918 viewsstowmarketrange

Gary Glitter LP’s.You can’t even give them away now.
And Ok Computer by Radiohead.I was going to throw it away after the first couple of plays.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 21:58]
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 22:09 - Feb 16 with 2844 viewsted_hendrix

Tubular Bells, only bought it as I was a long haired hippy at the time so it seemed to make sense back then, played it thought WTF is that all about but slowly that bass riff became awesome (which it is).
Very clever album at the time, it grew on me.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 22:30 - Feb 16 with 2804 viewsToast_R

Nirvana's In Utero.
Noise and not a patch on Nevermind.

But grew to love the raw sound of it, probably one of my favourite studio albums for being stripped back no nonsense. The sound clarity they got from Dave Grohls kit is up there with Bonham's on Psyical Graffiti and the whole thing is just kind of eerie. Serve the Servents.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 22:33]
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 22:50 - Feb 16 with 2766 viewsGaryT

Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

Bought it only knowing (and loving) the main hit Alison and took it with me when I was working away from home for a month. The rest of the album sounded like it was recorded in a shed with zero effort put into the production so was quite disappointed but the last track (waiting for the end of the world) caught my ear. Played the album again the next day and this time another track caught my ear, (the angels wanna wear my) Red shoes. After a couple of weeks of only listening to this album I fell in love with the whole rough and ready production and kinda went off the polished Alison. One of my favourite albums still and taught me the valuable lesson of never writing anything off after hearing/seeing it only once.
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 00:31 - Feb 17 with 2705 viewsRs_Holy

Tears for Fears - Elemental… The Seeds of Love was a really tough album to follow with its massive production, Beatles-esque orchestration and top musicianship. At first I thought Roland Orzabal had failed miserably as Elemental had a much less expansive, leaner feel. I could not get on with it initially and moved on pretty quickly. But I then randomly played it a few months later and maybe because I wasn’t expecting much thought it sounded great… its nothing like TFFs previous work but it still sounds great today.
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 05:02 - Feb 17 with 2631 viewslarsricchi

Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 22:30 - Feb 16 by Toast_R

Nirvana's In Utero.
Noise and not a patch on Nevermind.

But grew to love the raw sound of it, probably one of my favourite studio albums for being stripped back no nonsense. The sound clarity they got from Dave Grohls kit is up there with Bonham's on Psyical Graffiti and the whole thing is just kind of eerie. Serve the Servents.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 22:33]

I'll drill down a bit on this...the first time I heard "Scentless Apprentice" I thought it was nonsense. I'm not sure when the switch flipped, but it soon ended up as my favorite Nirvana tune, and has remained there for, what, nearly 30 years now?
Login to get fewer ads

Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 08:25 - Feb 17 with 2513 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I do not have one like that.

I queued up until 6AM in March '97 with Orthodox_Hoop and another good friend at HMV Oxford street to get the second Machine Head album and meet the band.

I got in at 9:30am what a pile of shit that album is. I like machine Head but tried listening to the same 25 year old CD last year and it still sounded f'kin shite.

I thought it might grow on me......

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 10:20 - Feb 17 with 2461 viewsrobith

It's a bit gutting now cos the guy turned out to be a bit of a wrong un but when I was young I loved Brand New.

Bought The Devil & God Are Raging Inside Of Me in a record shop in New York as it wasn't out in the UK yet. There'd been a huge gap between their last album, loads of rumours they'd thrown everything out and started again. Put it on and the end of track one, turned it off, thinking "wtf is this shit????"

Came back to it like 2 years later and turned out I actually loved what they'd done. Probably one of my most listened to albums
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 11:00 - Feb 17 with 2426 viewsBklynRanger

I can't think of an answer at the moment but love the question.

If I lent or copied an album to a friend I would always tell them to give it 6 listens before giving up - that seems to be the best number to judge I think.

I've probably got easier answers for albums that I liked but grew to hate. Some artists make things that are too immediate if that makes sense - just wears off and grates on you eventually. Ryan Adams is one of those imo - Gold for example - loved that album at first like a lot of people but after a while I couldn't touch it.
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 11:12 - Feb 17 with 2407 viewsSK_hoops

Yeah, I reckon in utero is their best album.

I'll go with be here now by oasis. Bought it the day it came out and was just so disappointed that it wasn't as good as the first two albums and thought that for years it was pretty crap. I still think it isn't as good as the first two albums, but actually think it's a great album now.
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 11:21 - Feb 17 with 2395 viewsQPRSteve

Aptly enough, Acquiring the Taste by Gentle Giant. Took me an age to appreciate it.
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 21:27 - Feb 17 with 2253 viewskomradkirk

led zeppelin houses of the holy took me a handful of listens until i got it
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 22:07 - Feb 17 with 2200 viewsTimNiceBut

In A Broken Dream by Python Lee Jackson. Bought it for the title track, then was disappointed it was the only track Rod Stewart sang. Took me several plays to appreciate the other tracks, but now think it's a really good album with an exceptional title track.

Tim Nice But..... Dreamt I Was Broken

Tim Nice But ...

Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 14:37 - Feb 18 with 2052 viewsLogman

Pat Metheny - The Way Up

You spend the first 10 or so times wondering where the hell it is going but after that its like going on a train ride through the Picos de Europa.
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 20:51 - Feb 18 with 1948 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Wilco - yankee hotel foxtrot

I bought this after reading a positive review about it and hated it so much that I returned it to HMV. I've never returned an album before or since.

I still hate it

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 21:08 - Feb 18 with 1925 viewsCiderwithRsie

Not sure I've got one, but true story:

The composer Philip Glass got his interest in avant garde music from his dad, who was an ex-US Marine who repaired cars for a living. When his dad realised he liked repairing the car radioes better than the actual cars, he started a radio shop and (as you did back then) sold LPs in the shop. The record companies would send him a job lot and he sent back the ones that wouldn't sell.

Glass Sr started to wonder why e.g. Mozart flew off the shelves but he couldn't give away Stravinsky, so he listened to them over and over to try to find out why and ended up loving them.
Music LP you bought and hated but grew to love. on 21:19 - Feb 18 with 1910 viewsDiscodroids

China Crisis 'Flaunt the imperfection' from 1985. produced by walter Becker so sunk to the nuts on Steely Dan lush production.

I bought the lp On the basis of their eaarly 80's New wave Tracks ' Christain', 'African and white' and 'tragedy and mystery', so was knocked bandy with the polished yacht rock offerings on the LP, thinking it a load of old AOR LA, FM radio Overblown tom tit.

I now think it's a classic. See them every year on tour and will do again in southend this april.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2022 21:20]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024