Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, this is goodbye — Preview 22:09 - Apr 28 with 7626 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/57681
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 22:18 - Apr 28 with 5050 viewsOldPedro

Agree with all of that

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 07:00 - Apr 29 with 4406 viewsDixie_CT

Owners buying players, the academy boss deliberately playing a different formation to undermine the first team, a manger using his agent to release stories to support his cause, DoF giving interviews to a radio station ahead of an unofficial announcement and a CEO condescendingly asking fans to raise cash to honour a club legend whilst at the same time, and at more cost, sanctioning a month of Dillion Barnes’ salary.

We’ve got our Rangers back!!

Stems form the top and if the owners don’t sort out it, they may as well cut our cloth accordingly and leave us competing as a Championship/League One yo-yo team or sell to someone who can implement a business plan, which includes securing a new stadium, that sees us be more successful.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2022 7:59]
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 08:23 - Apr 29 with 4234 viewsLblock

As it ever was, so shall it be again.

Expect to see [enter a Rodney Marsh type character] in the executive seats tonight then.

I’m ambivalent towards this parting of ways.
I think he’s lucky to have seen the full length of his tenure….no doubt some smart arse will dig up my drunken rant about picking up his icebox having a crap in it and doing one…however, it’s undeniable that the waters were relatively calmer for most of Warbs incumbancy.
For all the good stuff he’s done I give him thanks; for his intransigence and inconsistencies he joins the pile of typical managers.

The most important thing now in the immediacy is to finish top half. I have a ton at 9/4 on that!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 08:25 - Apr 29 with 4249 viewsNorthernr

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 08:23 - Apr 29 by Lblock

As it ever was, so shall it be again.

Expect to see [enter a Rodney Marsh type character] in the executive seats tonight then.

I’m ambivalent towards this parting of ways.
I think he’s lucky to have seen the full length of his tenure….no doubt some smart arse will dig up my drunken rant about picking up his icebox having a crap in it and doing one…however, it’s undeniable that the waters were relatively calmer for most of Warbs incumbancy.
For all the good stuff he’s done I give him thanks; for his intransigence and inconsistencies he joins the pile of typical managers.

The most important thing now in the immediacy is to finish top half. I have a ton at 9/4 on that!!!

Oh mate that's going to sting if we don't even manage that
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 09:38 - Apr 29 with 4037 viewsBostonR

Really good overview.

I was taken by one comment made by Amit - " my fellow shareholders and I have been involved with QPR for a long time now and our commitment to the betterment of our club is unwavering. This decision, whilst difficult, has been made with the best interests of the club in mind. That is, and has always been, our aim".

If you unpick that, it's obvious something kicked-off behind the scenes. Amit is a shrewd operator and my take is that Warburton must have over-stepped the mark with the Board and lost.
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 09:42 - Apr 29 with 4028 viewsAntti_Heinola

Great preview, thanks clive. Can't fault it.

Bare bones.

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 09:59 - Apr 29 with 3965 viewsRs_Holy

“he did absolutely everything we hired him for so now we’re getting rid of him”... sums it up perfectly
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:26 - Apr 29 with 3911 viewsdaveB

Had one of those QPR crisis nights last night where I just couldn’t sleep for hours and then the alarm goes off and I realise I’ve had next to no sleep worrying about my football club again.

Couple of thoughts on it all

From the boards point of view they heavily backed Warburton last summer, as they did the year before in truth and safe to say for every Willock/Dunne there have been 2 crap ones.. Good money spent on Bonne who was loaned out within a year after hardly ever playing. Last summer they pushed the boat out for Austin, De Wijs, Field and Johansen and from that Field has done well, Austin rarely starts games and has been poor, Johansen has been injured all season, De Wijs was injured and replaced by another player who has hardly featured and when he has been rubbish. Dozzell signed last summer as one for the future and replaced by Hendrick in January who offered no real improvement and replaced by Dozzell within 2 months leaving you thinking what was the point of that.

Even in an injury crisis where you have no right backs we still went with a loan player out of position ahead of one of our own in Kakay last week which is well away from what we’re supposed to be doing. Amos, Ball and Thomas off the bench and excellent against Blackpool to win us the game then not seen again for weeks or in Ball’s case ever again. The only striker we have scoring goals in Gray has sat on the bench for the last 4 games when we needed to win. He’s made some baffling decisions since February and as much as we want to dress it up we’ve not put in many good 90 minute performances all season.

For all the stick the club are getting I don’t think it’s a mad decision to go for a fresh start in the summer. I’m so torn on it all I can see why they have done it but also think he’s done enough for another year. Still however you dress it up we’ve lost 8 of our last 11 games, not many managers survive that let alone get to leave with a handshake and the fans backing them. If the next managers record is even half as bad as the last 2 months no one will be saying he should stay

The problem is of course who you go for and that list from the skybet page is terrifying. Some good managers out there who could build on what we have and do a good job for us but a lot more Steve McClarens who could have us back down the bottom of the table very quickly. I don’t really know who I want as manager next, always liked Karl Robinson and think Neil Critchley is a good manager and both fit in with the talk of wanting the same style of football. The fella at Huddersfield has done a really good job so might be an option if they don’t go up. It’s certainly a more attractive job for managers than it was 3 years ago.
Login to get fewer ads

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:31 - Apr 29 with 3888 viewsPinnerPaul

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:26 - Apr 29 by daveB

Had one of those QPR crisis nights last night where I just couldn’t sleep for hours and then the alarm goes off and I realise I’ve had next to no sleep worrying about my football club again.

From the boards point of view they heavily backed Warburton last summer, as they did the year before in truth and safe to say for every Willock/Dunne there have been 2 crap ones.. Good money spent on Bonne who was loaned out within a year after hardly ever playing. Last summer they pushed the boat out for Austin, De Wijs, Field and Johansen and from that Field has done well, Austin rarely starts games and has been poor, Johansen has been injured all season, De Wijs was injured and replaced by another player who has hardly featured and when he has been rubbish. Dozzell signed last summer as one for the future and replaced by Hendrick in January who offered no real improvement and replaced by Dozzell within 2 months leaving you thinking what was the point of that.

Even in an injury crisis where you have no right backs we still went with a loan player out of position ahead of one of our own in Kakay last week which is well away from what we’re supposed to be doing. Amos, Ball and Thomas off the bench and excellent against Blackpool to win us the game then not seen again for weeks or in Ball’s case ever again. The only striker we have scoring goals in Gray has sat on the bench for the last 4 games when we needed to win. He’s made some baffling decisions since February and as much as we want to dress it up we’ve not put in many good 90 minute performances all season.

For all the stick the club are getting I don’t think it’s a mad decision to go for a fresh start in the summer. I’m so torn on it all I can see why they have done it but also think he’s done enough for another year. Still however you dress it up we’ve lost 8 of our last 11 games, not many managers survive that let alone get to leave with a handshake and the fans backing them. If the next managers record is even half as bad as the last 2 months no one will be saying he should stay

The problem is of course who you go for and that list from the skybet page is terrifying. Some good managers out there who could build on what we have and do a good job for us but a lot more Steve McClarens who could have us back down the bottom of the table very quickly. I don’t really know who I want as manager next, always liked Karl Robinson and think Neil Critchley is a good manager and both fit in with the talk of wanting the same style of football. The fella at Huddersfield has done a really good job so might be an option if they don’t go up. It’s certainly a more attractive job for managers than it was 3 years ago.

Very well put Dave
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:37 - Apr 29 with 3858 viewsNorthernr

Echoes a lot of my thoughts Dave, I'm all over the place.
On the recruitment and backing the manager though, the majority of the people making those recruitment decisions are still here. There were some that were obviously Warburton picks - Ball, Kelly, Wallace, Moses - but others - Field, Dunne, Willock, Dykes, Bonne - he had little to do with.
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:44 - Apr 29 with 3829 viewsdaveB

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:37 - Apr 29 by Northernr

Echoes a lot of my thoughts Dave, I'm all over the place.
On the recruitment and backing the manager though, the majority of the people making those recruitment decisions are still here. There were some that were obviously Warburton picks - Ball, Kelly, Wallace, Moses - but others - Field, Dunne, Willock, Dykes, Bonne - he had little to do with.

I don't think recruitment has been bad under Warbs far from it, I just think the board will look at it and think he wanted those 4 big ones last summer and out of them 1 was good, 1 was shipped out by January, 1 rarely plays and when he does isn't very good and the other is has been nowhere near as good and rarely looks fit. That all plays a part when you know another shopping list of must haves is coming.
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:47 - Apr 29 with 3819 viewsterryb

Like Daveb, I'm another that is torn on this decision.

I like Mark Warburton & would heve been happy for him to have been offered a contract extension. However, I do believe that coaches have a limited lifespan at a club due to staleness & it is always cheaper (and easier) to change the manager that the playing squad. I don't know if we had reached that stage yet, but I can understand why the club reached this decision.

The question now is who to replace Mark with. I have no appetite for any of the out of work managers & I'm past knowing the names or having much knowledge of those operating at lower levels. Others would know more about the current managers at Wigan, Forest Green, MK Dons, Plymouth, Exeter and Wrexham etc.

I do agree that the club haven't handled the situation very well, but it is still far better than how Ale Faurlin & Clint Hill left the club!
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:51 - Apr 29 with 3793 viewsNorthernr

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:47 - Apr 29 by terryb

Like Daveb, I'm another that is torn on this decision.

I like Mark Warburton & would heve been happy for him to have been offered a contract extension. However, I do believe that coaches have a limited lifespan at a club due to staleness & it is always cheaper (and easier) to change the manager that the playing squad. I don't know if we had reached that stage yet, but I can understand why the club reached this decision.

The question now is who to replace Mark with. I have no appetite for any of the out of work managers & I'm past knowing the names or having much knowledge of those operating at lower levels. Others would know more about the current managers at Wigan, Forest Green, MK Dons, Plymouth, Exeter and Wrexham etc.

I do agree that the club haven't handled the situation very well, but it is still far better than how Ale Faurlin & Clint Hill left the club!

For the good this current regime have done, behaving properly around players departing has not been good. When we interviewed them Onuoha was clearly pissd off with how his departure was handled, Ale said he was furious, I didn't think we treated Luongo very well either. Clint Hill as well like you say, to be replaced by Joel Lynch.
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:53 - Apr 29 with 3780 viewsAntti_Heinola

Yeah I think recruitment in the last 3 years has been really good. A very solid B. There have been failures, but there is not a club on this earth who only signs players who work out, and it's unrealistic to ever think that will be the case. Some, like Dunne, Barbet, Willock, Field, Dickie have been excellent. Some like Amos, Dykes, Odubajo, Wallace have been qualified successes. A few have been very useful, like Dom Ball. And a few haven't worked out, like Bonne and despite his better work recently, George Thomas.

Compared to almost any period this century, barring Warnock's first summer and the Shittu-Gallen-Cook-Ainsworth-Rowlands period under Ollie (and even then we had a huge budget for that decision, despite constant pleadings of poverty), it's been excellent, especially considering the cuts to the wage bill being made almost every year. Credit in a number of places there.

Bare bones.

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:59 - Apr 29 with 3740 viewsterryb

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:51 - Apr 29 by Northernr

For the good this current regime have done, behaving properly around players departing has not been good. When we interviewed them Onuoha was clearly pissd off with how his departure was handled, Ale said he was furious, I didn't think we treated Luongo very well either. Clint Hill as well like you say, to be replaced by Joel Lynch.

I should have added that I don't like the "we will only discuss new contracts when the season is over" stance. Players deserve far better than this as it is their livelihood & supporters desperately want information. Not having mentioned season tickets yet, met cause the club to lose revenue as well.

I might be wrong, but isn't the delay in contract extensions one of Les Ferdinand's pet theories?
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 11:03 - Apr 29 with 3720 viewsNorthernr

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:59 - Apr 29 by terryb

I should have added that I don't like the "we will only discuss new contracts when the season is over" stance. Players deserve far better than this as it is their livelihood & supporters desperately want information. Not having mentioned season tickets yet, met cause the club to lose revenue as well.

I might be wrong, but isn't the delay in contract extensions one of Les Ferdinand's pet theories?

I've always said that "Barbet wants to go back to France" was something that started as "maybe he wants to go back to France" on twitter and then becomes fact because, well, Twitter. Now that's been confirmed, and he's talking to other Championship clubs, that's legitimately insane. What are we gaining from that? Idiocy.
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 11:04 - Apr 29 with 3717 viewsSuperhoop83

A very good and fair assessment.

As much as I like and respect Mark Warburton, and ignoring the annoying fact that I won't see us win at Loftus Road this season (for the first time ever), the team's form and performances since the end of January have ranged between poor and appalling.

I just hope the board have a plan for a successor because, as Clive says, the list of potential candidates is as attractive a box set of Mrs Brown's Boys.

Suffering since 1978.

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 11:04 - Apr 29 with 3709 viewsPinnerPaul

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 10:59 - Apr 29 by terryb

I still maintain that, given most of the season we didn't know what div we would be in, not sure, short of negotiating 2 contracts for everyone, how you can negotiate contracts under those circumstances?
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 11:19 - Apr 29 with 3646 viewsterryb

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 11:04 - Apr 29 by PinnerPaul

I still maintain that, given most of the season we didn't know what div we would be in, not sure, short of negotiating 2 contracts for everyone, how you can negotiate contracts under those circumstances?

I can understand your point, but that is looking at it from the club & not the players view. A happy player is a better player.

If I was a player that was to be out of contract, my energy would be used on trying to secure my future. If that means my form suffers, that is the clubs problem rather than mine. It won't be the individual performances in the last three months of a contract that will determine if other clubs are interested in the player.
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 11:26 - Apr 29 with 3629 viewsNorthernr

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 11:04 - Apr 29 by PinnerPaul

Given the amount of players we're talking about (not many, most of them we're releasing regardless), absolutely nothing to stop you negotiating a promotion and non-promotion deal with Barbet at all.
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 11:35 - Apr 29 with 3563 viewsPinnerPaul

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 11:26 - Apr 29 by Northernr

Given the amount of players we're talking about (not many, most of them we're releasing regardless), absolutely nothing to stop you negotiating a promotion and non-promotion deal with Barbet at all.

No I guess not, but as they knew the manager's contract was up with the possibility he might leave, then I guess makes no sense to tie players down if you don't know who the manager might be?

Seems to be trend outside the 'star' players not to renew contracts early, perhaps a consequence of the high turnover of managers?

As Dave has said, in the current climate, easy to find fault and blame at EVERY turn - understandable.
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 11:56 - Apr 29 with 3483 viewsAntti_Heinola

Yeah i think it's a really hard balancing act with players out of contract. Ale and Clint were the worst ones, because those two would legitimately be on most people's favourite Top 20 QPR players ever, and for many in a Top 10.

I think this season was hard because for a long time we thought we might sneak into the prem. In the prem, you might not want/need to keep several of them, in the Champ, it's a different story. But as Clive says, if Barbet wants to stay, but the club aren't offering him a deal, that is beyond baffling, for a player that is probably Top 2 in the POTY polls.

Bare bones.

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 12:01 - Apr 29 with 3444 viewsDannytheR

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 11:56 - Apr 29 by Antti_Heinola

Yeah i think it's a really hard balancing act with players out of contract. Ale and Clint were the worst ones, because those two would legitimately be on most people's favourite Top 20 QPR players ever, and for many in a Top 10.

I think this season was hard because for a long time we thought we might sneak into the prem. In the prem, you might not want/need to keep several of them, in the Champ, it's a different story. But as Clive says, if Barbet wants to stay, but the club aren't offering him a deal, that is beyond baffling, for a player that is probably Top 2 in the POTY polls.

The general approach to contracts has looked, er, "eccentric" for a while though: BOS and Manning being allowed to run their deals down and leave for nothing, Hamaleinen given his deal for life in panicky response, now this clown car stuff. Hard to pick a consistent logic out of any of it.
So, this is goodbye — Preview on 13:36 - Apr 29 with 3120 viewsTheChef

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 12:01 - Apr 29 by DannytheR

The general approach to contracts has looked, er, "eccentric" for a while though: BOS and Manning being allowed to run their deals down and leave for nothing, Hamaleinen given his deal for life in panicky response, now this clown car stuff. Hard to pick a consistent logic out of any of it.

I'm not even sure anymore what is Football 101 for renewing contracts?

I suppose you would offer a new contract just before the old one expires, if you were actually keen on keeping that player?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

So, this is goodbye — Preview on 14:02 - Apr 29 with 3037 viewsEastR

It will be interesting to see if we can get a positive result tonight.

I’m sure Warburton would like to go out with a win and stick a metaphorical two fingers up to the Board. That might be hard to achieve with some players disgruntled about their own contract status, and maybe the managerial decision, or they might want to prove a point too.

Sheff Utd will obviously be looking for a positive result, but I don’t think they’re all that to be fair and without all the background dramas this week we should be better than the bookies odds suggest (three and a half to one)
If both teams are up for it there could be a few goals, and Sam Field is likely to get booked.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024