Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1st Press Conference on the offy! 14:37 - Jun 20 with 8778 viewsPinnerPaul

I HATE criticising the club, all the staff I have dealt with have been unfailingly polite and helpful.

BUT oh dear, come on press department - a video you can barely hear that starts with 12 minutes of two empty chairs and cuts off in mid answer is just not good enough.
1st Press Conference on the offy! on 08:21 - Jun 21 with 2510 viewsDejR_vu

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 22:21 - Jun 20 by simmo

Also this part is pretty damning IMO. I'm paraphrasing but essentially Les says we did things differently this time and we used data and analytics as part of the selection process, whereas in the past we'd just work from a list of candidates that came to us...

What the fck! That's an absolutely atrocious way to go about recruiting, essentially admitting there was no proactive selection or utilising metrics available to them - which is the norm for most clubs for years. Said so flippantly too...

Yeah, but weā€™re lucky to have him, heā€™s done a great job etc. etc. Ć°ÅøĀ„Ā“

Poll: Season tickets - whoā€™s renewing?

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 09:34 - Jun 21 with 2383 viewskernowhoop

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 02:53 - Jun 21 by barbicanranger

While Les isn't great with words (I was grimacing at the "got rid of" comment), I do like the way Beale talks. Looking forward to seeing how this develops and how he talks post match. Will be refreshing after the Warbs era of post-match interviews, which I found to be like groundhog day.

' I do like the way Beale talks.'
I have watched several of his interviews and in most respects I agree with you, but when he begins a sentence with 'Me' and gets 'them' and 'those' mixed up, I wonder who taught him English. Maybe it was Glen Hoddle? There again, perhaps he is simply trying to sound 'down with the lads'.
1st Press Conference on the offy! on 09:43 - Jun 21 with 2357 viewsdaveB

another interview here

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 10:26 - Jun 21 with 2273 viewsHAYESBOY

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 09:43 - Jun 21 by daveB

another interview here

Unfortunately gave up on that. The sound is terrible.

Smells like a trout farm in here

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 10:41 - Jun 21 with 2210 viewsAntti_Heinola

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 22:21 - Jun 20 by simmo

Also this part is pretty damning IMO. I'm paraphrasing but essentially Les says we did things differently this time and we used data and analytics as part of the selection process, whereas in the past we'd just work from a list of candidates that came to us...

What the fck! That's an absolutely atrocious way to go about recruiting, essentially admitting there was no proactive selection or utilising metrics available to them - which is the norm for most clubs for years. Said so flippantly too...

This ownership appointed hughes, Redknapp, a coach from within, Hasselbaink, McClaren. What did you think was happening?
I think there was more to the Warbs appointment, which was a good one, but otherwise, I'm shocked you're shocked. The names say it all.

Bare bones.

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 10:45 - Jun 21 with 2202 viewsaston_hoop

another interview here

Fair play for continuing the interview during what sounds like a hurricane in the background.

Anyway, this is all very well but when does Clive's interview with Beale drop? Thats the one I'm looking forward to

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 10:58 - Jun 21 with 2140 viewsstantheman10

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 09:34 - Jun 21 by kernowhoop

' I do like the way Beale talks.'
I have watched several of his interviews and in most respects I agree with you, but when he begins a sentence with 'Me' and gets 'them' and 'those' mixed up, I wonder who taught him English. Maybe it was Glen Hoddle? There again, perhaps he is simply trying to sound 'down with the lads'.

He's here to coach football not teach English!
1st Press Conference on the offy! on 11:16 - Jun 21 with 2083 viewsdmm

Substituting "them" for "those" is very common today. I'd rather this wasn't the case but happily it doesn't change the meaning of a sentence and I doubt many players would notice.
Login to get fewer ads

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 11:20 - Jun 21 with 2064 viewsHAYESBOY

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 10:41 - Jun 21 by Antti_Heinola

This ownership appointed hughes, Redknapp, a coach from within, Hasselbaink, McClaren. What did you think was happening?
I think there was more to the Warbs appointment, which was a good one, but otherwise, I'm shocked you're shocked. The names say it all.

I would like to know what data they used, as Beale has not managed a team before.

Doesn't make sense.

Smells like a trout farm in here

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 11:22 - Jun 21 with 2054 viewsdmm

I like this: Beale: QPR donā€™t need to sell star players - https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/beale-qpr-dont-need-to-sell-star-players
1st Press Conference on the offy! on 12:34 - Jun 21 with 1898 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 11:22 - Jun 21 by dmm

I like this: Beale: QPR donā€™t need to sell star players - https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/beale-qpr-dont-need-to-sell-star-players

That's great news, in the long term as well as the short term.

Delighted.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 12:53 - Jun 21 with 1875 viewsDannyPaddox

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 11:22 - Jun 21 by dmm

Great news. If we keep hold of all three of Seny, Illy, and Willy and build on that the upcoming season could be a blast.

The video in this link is well worth watching: How will QPR play under new boss Michael Beale.

Suggests heā€™ll play a 4-3-2-1 with full backs bombing on and only the one holding defensive midfield player.

With Willock & Chair as the two inside-forwards it makes you wonder about the centre-forward. Are Dykes & Bonne up to scratch? Will this be Sinclair Armstrongā€™s breakthrough year? (hope so). Or will a goalscoring gem be uncovered elsewhere via the analytics team and Bealeā€™s extensive contacts? Or maybe the goals will come from all over the pitch. Much to anticipate.
1st Press Conference on the offy! on 13:41 - Jun 21 with 1752 viewsPinnerPaul

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 21:53 - Jun 20 by daveB

It's also on here without the chairs

Not on the offy at all now, but a written summary is.

Ok hearing aid turned up, I'm going to listen to Dave's video interview now
1st Press Conference on the offy! on 13:56 - Jun 21 with 1698 viewsPinnerPaul

another interview here

Thanks Dave, sound not too bad, better than the presss conference.

In both cases not sure why there should be a problem, a professional sound man isn't THAT expensive.

Its a 2 man press conference with questions from the floor and one on one interview - its hardly the London Philharmonic in concert!
1st Press Conference on the offy! on 14:04 - Jun 21 with 1633 viewssimmo

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 10:41 - Jun 21 by Antti_Heinola

I'm not shocked, I'm aware of how fckin brainless the process was for appointing a lot of our managers under Fernandes, early on especially, but to be this far into your tenure where every recruitment decision is so important and casually admit that you didn't bother with candidates other than those that were brought to you... Idk, I guess I'm just wondering why more isn't made of things like that.

I also understand that maybe Les and Lee weren't allowed to implement this each time, when Fernandes is making demands about this or that manager I guess you have to go with it, even if it is an ego driven decision from a football idiot.

Just frustrating I guess, we seem to learn the basics so late and nobody takes anybody to task for it.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 14:12 - Jun 21 with 1617 viewsAntti_Heinola

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 14:04 - Jun 21 by simmo

I'm not shocked, I'm aware of how fckin brainless the process was for appointing a lot of our managers under Fernandes, early on especially, but to be this far into your tenure where every recruitment decision is so important and casually admit that you didn't bother with candidates other than those that were brought to you... Idk, I guess I'm just wondering why more isn't made of things like that.

I also understand that maybe Les and Lee weren't allowed to implement this each time, when Fernandes is making demands about this or that manager I guess you have to go with it, even if it is an ego driven decision from a football idiot.

Just frustrating I guess, we seem to learn the basics so late and nobody takes anybody to task for it.

I think Warburton was the first one Hoos and Ferdinand chose, and there was certainly a more rigorous process that time.
It's still rife in football I'd argue. Look at West Brom's last few appointments. Or Watford's. Or Reading's. Or Forest's - they got lucky with Cooper, but you can't tell me if Cooper was still in a job but say, Bruce wasn't, they wouldn't have taken Bruce.
Also, not sure Les is brilliant at expressing exactly what he means sometimes. You could take that to mean, 'people knew we were looking, we had applications, we interviewed, we got the best person who wanted the job' - which is still not great for the sort of position they're filling, but still a step up from 'give it to 'Arry'

Bare bones.

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 14:58 - Jun 21 with 1544 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 12:53 - Jun 21 by DannyPaddox

Great news. If we keep hold of all three of Seny, Illy, and Willy and build on that the upcoming season could be a blast.

The video in this link is well worth watching: How will QPR play under new boss Michael Beale.

Suggests heā€™ll play a 4-3-2-1 with full backs bombing on and only the one holding defensive midfield player.

With Willock & Chair as the two inside-forwards it makes you wonder about the centre-forward. Are Dykes & Bonne up to scratch? Will this be Sinclair Armstrongā€™s breakthrough year? (hope so). Or will a goalscoring gem be uncovered elsewhere via the analytics team and Bealeā€™s extensive contacts? Or maybe the goals will come from all over the pitch. Much to anticipate.

So if it is 4 at the back then weā€™ll need to leave out one of Dickie, Dunne or Salter. Itā€™s a brave man who drops his Dickie so Iā€™d say itā€™ll be between the other two. Full-backs itā€™s currently Paal and Kakay first choice with another right-back incoming Iā€™d have thought.

The 3 midfield slots will be Field holding, with Amos and Johansen marauding. I think I read that Paal can also play as a number 8 so I guess heā€™s another option there. This doesnā€™t fill me with confidence defensively so Iā€™d have thought another couple of signings in this position are possible. A midfield battler, one for all those long trips oop norf and also try to unearth a young playmaker from somewhere.

Illy and Willy as ā€˜inside-forwardsā€™ (Ć°Åøā€˜ĀĆ°ÅøĀĀ») and a rejuvinated Dykes up top.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 15:25 - Jun 21 with 1458 viewsDannyPaddox

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 14:58 - Jun 21 by CliveWilsonSaid

So if it is 4 at the back then weā€™ll need to leave out one of Dickie, Dunne or Salter. Itā€™s a brave man who drops his Dickie so Iā€™d say itā€™ll be between the other two. Full-backs itā€™s currently Paal and Kakay first choice with another right-back incoming Iā€™d have thought.

The 3 midfield slots will be Field holding, with Amos and Johansen marauding. I think I read that Paal can also play as a number 8 so I guess heā€™s another option there. This doesnā€™t fill me with confidence defensively so Iā€™d have thought another couple of signings in this position are possible. A midfield battler, one for all those long trips oop norf and also try to unearth a young playmaker from somewhere.

Illy and Willy as ā€˜inside-forwardsā€™ (Ć°Åøā€˜ĀĆ°ÅøĀĀ») and a rejuvinated Dykes up top.

The jury remains out for me with Dykes but the rest of that sounds workable. I still have hopes for Bettache. Has bundles of potential. Surely the sort of player Beale has experience of getting the best out of.
1st Press Conference on the offy! on 17:06 - Jun 21 with 1313 viewsAntti_Heinola

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 14:58 - Jun 21 by CliveWilsonSaid

I'd lay fairly big money we'll be certainly be signing a right back and definitely a striker, (or at least an attacker who plays off a striker) and i suspect another midfielder. Possibly a keeper, as maybe Archer is off?

Bare bones.

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 17:15 - Jun 21 with 1297 viewsdaveB

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 14:04 - Jun 21 by simmo

I wouldn't read much into what he said, it's all new manager waffle, every time they talk abut a rigorous process etc much like most new managers talk about players not being fit enough. How they pick who is interviewed is the same at most clubs it's more about asking them the right questions and selecting the best fit. They got it right with Warburton, hopefully they have again here. It sounds like they have at least tried to find a manager with a similar style to suit the squad, however it was they did that it should be seen as a positive but if he loses the first few games people will say why didn't they give the job to Ainsworth or whoever is flavour of the month at the time.
1st Press Conference on the offy! on 17:16 - Jun 21 with 1295 viewsdannyblue

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 11:20 - Jun 21 by HAYESBOY

I would like to know what data they used, as Beale has not managed a team before.

Doesn't make sense.

Exactly the point I was coming on here to make.

Saying it's based on the data is simply BS, and it's also trying to evade responsibility for the decision. 'We just did what the conundrum (sic) told us'. As you say, what stats are collected for assistant managers? What data would you collect to analyse?

Also 'then the owners got involved' always sounds ominous!

Anyway it's a risky appointment, but it's intriguing and you never know it could work out really well.
1st Press Conference on the offy! on 18:05 - Jun 21 with 1211 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 17:16 - Jun 21 by dannyblue

Exactly the point I was coming on here to make.

Saying it's based on the data is simply BS, and it's also trying to evade responsibility for the decision. 'We just did what the conundrum (sic) told us'. As you say, what stats are collected for assistant managers? What data would you collect to analyse?

Also 'then the owners got involved' always sounds ominous!

Anyway it's a risky appointment, but it's intriguing and you never know it could work out really well.

They can still study the teams he's coached and do data on passes, short passes, long passes, crosses etc.

I get that he's not managed before, but with all of his videos it's clear what his style of play is so data on the teams he's coached should be reliable and usable with a fair expectation that he'll play the same way here, no?

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 18:13 - Jun 21 with 1181 viewsdannyblue

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 18:05 - Jun 21 by BrianMcCarthy

They can still study the teams he's coached and do data on passes, short passes, long passes, crosses etc.

I get that he's not managed before, but with all of his videos it's clear what his style of play is so data on the teams he's coached should be reliable and usable with a fair expectation that he'll play the same way here, no?

Thanks Brian.

I guess you could. It seems a bit tenuous a link. We want a manager who's teams have 55% posession, attack from the flanks, prefer short passes (whatever metrics they do look at)? Seems a bit backwards to me. Makes sense to judge a player's style that way, perhaps, but a manager?

I'm all for using data by the way. I'm just still not sure what data one could look at, what filters one could apply, that would result in Michael Beale being at the top.

My expectation is that they wanted a young respected coach, with excellent contacts, who has a reputation for improving players, and they're prepared to take a chance on him. I think that's not unreasonable at all in our situation.
1st Press Conference on the offy! on 18:18 - Jun 21 with 1156 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 18:13 - Jun 21 by dannyblue

Thanks Brian.

I guess you could. It seems a bit tenuous a link. We want a manager who's teams have 55% posession, attack from the flanks, prefer short passes (whatever metrics they do look at)? Seems a bit backwards to me. Makes sense to judge a player's style that way, perhaps, but a manager?

I'm all for using data by the way. I'm just still not sure what data one could look at, what filters one could apply, that would result in Michael Beale being at the top.

My expectation is that they wanted a young respected coach, with excellent contacts, who has a reputation for improving players, and they're prepared to take a chance on him. I think that's not unreasonable at all in our situation.

I'm just guessing too, Danny, and not pretending to know.

I have big reservations about hiring a first-time manager, by the way.
The old adage in the building game is that if there's a new material on the market you build your neighbour's house with it first. I think that's usually wise.

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 19:10 - Jun 21 with 1047 viewsPunteR

1st Press Conference on the offy! on 18:13 - Jun 21 by dannyblue

Thanks Brian.

Just chuck in the word data into your last paragraph to make it sound more football 2022.

My expectation is that they wanted a young respected coach, with excellent data, who has a reputation for improving data, and they're prepared to take a chance on data. I think that's not unreasonable at all in our data.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024