Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite cinema as a kid..... 23:22 - Jul 8 with 4132 viewsqpr_1968

westbourne park...saturday morning cinemas.

older......kensington.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 11:51 - Jul 9 with 1525 viewsDavieQPR

Saturday morning .....Queens cinema Queensway.
Older .... Odeon Paddington Green.
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 11:54 - Jul 9 with 1507 viewsNoDiddley

See that in the Classic, Praed street, Paddington ,
Sylvia Krystal Lovejoy’s Ex😜
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 12:08 - Jul 9 with 1490 viewsMrSheen

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 11:03 - Jul 9 by dmm

Who remembers the Electric cinema on Portobella road in the early 70s long before it got its trendy make-over? It was the worst flea pit I've ever been in. Once went in there with a friend who sat down and had the whole seat totally collapse under him. It showed some good films though and I'm sure I saw the Woodstock film in there.

Used to be spend alternate Saturdays there and at HQ. Three of four different films a day, used to watch all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff, about £1.50 to get in.
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 12:11 - Jul 9 with 1488 viewsMrSheen

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 10:01 - Jul 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Another vote for the Gaumont State, Kilburn, until it became a Mecca bingo.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2022 10:04]

Did you ever go to the Grange across the High Road Bazza, later the National? Saw Chariots of the Gods there, blew my 10 year old mind.

Also the Classic up by Kilburn tube, late night Saturdays. Ken Russell’s The Devils, oooer Mrs.
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 12:28 - Jul 9 with 1473 viewsRanger_Things

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 11:03 - Jul 9 by dmm

Who remembers the Electric cinema on Portobella road in the early 70s long before it got its trendy make-over? It was the worst flea pit I've ever been in. Once went in there with a friend who sat down and had the whole seat totally collapse under him. It showed some good films though and I'm sure I saw the Woodstock film in there.

Yep, it was the nearest cinema to my house but we very rarely went there. Not sure why.
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 13:28 - Jul 9 with 1419 viewsSnipper

The Odeon on Shepherds Bush Green was the one I went to most. You also had one next door which showed the X rated films. Remember when the films were rated A, AA & X.

Had to lie about my age to see The Fog. 😂
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 13:31 - Jul 9 with 1409 viewsMick_S

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 08:42 - Jul 9 by NorthantsHoop

South Harrow Odeon, Rayners Lane Odeon, Harrow Granada, Harrow ABC, Wembley Odeon and ABC.

Same here for Rayners Lane and Harrow, next to the fantastic model shop. Also Hayes Classic - no such thing as an X rated movie there!

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 14:46 - Jul 9 with 1375 viewscolinallcars

When the developers demolished the cinema at the western end of High St Ken, they were supposed to leave the frontage in place. This was the oldest cinema in Britain. I see now the front has been destroyed as well.
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 16:06 - Jul 9 with 1340 viewsNorthantsHoop

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 10:44 - Jul 9 by A40Bosh

I don't remember the South Harrow or Rayners Lane ones, but I remember going to see the Evel Knievel, Star Wars and Ghandi in the Harrow Odeon and ABC.

Think there might have been a cinema on Ruislip High St but don't remember it being open and seeing anything there.

Now have our own Cineworld complex in South Ruislip.

South Harrow Odeon closed down and demolished in early 70s. Rayners Lane Odeon closed in the mid 80s and went through a few guises, it is a fine example of art deco architecture and is a Grade II listed building, now the Zoroastrian Centre.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2022 16:12]
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 17:01 - Jul 9 with 1308 viewsRangersDave

As a totally blatant plug, i run a facebook page called 'old cinema buildings (UK)' and we cover old cinemas (Obs), projection rooms, staff, demolition etc etc, which might be of interest.

I have taken it on to try and photograph externally, and where possible, internally, existing old cinema buildings, around the country, and i have covered the north west of England, down to the midlands, central to north wales, Sunderland down to Peterborough, Cornwall, central midlands, and lots in between, from Dingwall west and down.

Still lots of gaps to fill and i have a trip planned for October that will garnish at least a 100 more, taking my total to over 1000, with a couple more thousand still to do.

One of the things i hate is having photographed a cinema both inside and out, revisiting when its rubble, as i find it quite sad and upsetting.

Anyway, i'f you'd like to view the pics they are in folders that contain the cinemas in alphabetical order.
here's the link to the first folder, and i hope you enjoy.

https://northernphotography.zenfolio.com/f734235588

Best
Dave
[Post edited 9 Jul 2022 17:04]

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 17:07 - Jul 9 with 1303 viewsRebalhoop

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 06:43 - Jul 9 by Ned_Kennedys

The Granada on Windsor Rd, Slough.
Spent many afternoons in there as a kid.

Shame I didn’t appreciate it as a kid,not until it was long gone,I saw pictures of the inside,and it was really nice,quiet grand..a bit Art Deco
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 17:08 - Jul 9 with 1303 viewsRangersDave

oh, my favourite cinemas...
Gerrards Cross 1...... Superman
Gerrards Cross 2......Star Trek & Star Wars
Pinewood (yes that one) club 7.....Shout at the Devil and many more
Wycombe 1....... Thunderbirds are go!
Wycombe 2.......Jaws, Grease amongst others
Marlow......The Battle of Britain
And i seemed to visit all of these on a sort of rotational basis.

Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 18:29 - Jul 9 with 1258 viewskernowhoop

The Odeon Sudbury Town on Saturday morning, especially the Superman serial. I made a cape from a piece of old blanket and tried to emulate Superman on our stairs. For some reason, it didn't work.
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 19:51 - Jul 9 with 1238 viewsdanehoop

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 18:29 - Jul 9 by kernowhoop

The Odeon Sudbury Town on Saturday morning, especially the Superman serial. I made a cape from a piece of old blanket and tried to emulate Superman on our stairs. For some reason, it didn't work.

The Embassy Cinema in Ruislip, remember seeing Monty Python and the Holy Grail in there. Recollections of being let in through side doors as well by mates when I was a young scamp to see I think to see a Bond film (Moon Raker possibly). Gutted when in closed and ended up being redeveloped into a MacDonalds and an Iceland.

Never knowingly understood

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 20:37 - Jul 9 with 1201 viewsChrisNW6

The spy who loved me, Kilburn State and Star Wars Dominion Theatre Tottenham Ct Rd

Hampstead Classic for Animal House/Blues Brothers midnight screenings - Think I still know every good line 😀
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 22:13 - Jul 9 with 1149 viewsdmm

Anyone remember the Victoria Station News Theatre on Buckingham Palace Road that was known as the Cartoon cinema?

A tiny but rather magical place.

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 00:34 - Jul 10 with 1111 viewsRangersDave

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 22:13 - Jul 9 by dmm

Anyone remember the Victoria Station News Theatre on Buckingham Palace Road that was known as the Cartoon cinema?

A tiny but rather magical place.

and the one at waterloo

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 02:25 - Jul 10 with 1097 viewsitsbiga

Ritzy in Brixton was great. Back in the 80's it was kinda QPR colours.

Always loved going to The Odeon Leicester Square to see Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back when they were released.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2022 2:30]

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 07:15 - Jul 10 with 1046 viewsRanger_Things

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 14:46 - Jul 9 by colinallcars

When the developers demolished the cinema at the western end of High St Ken, they were supposed to leave the frontage in place. This was the oldest cinema in Britain. I see now the front has been destroyed as well.

I forgot about that Odeon. I remember coming out of there after watching Rocky and everyone was knocking 7 bells out of each other. The cinema was opposite the Commonwealth Institute, which was also destroyed despite being a listed building. Fcking RBK&C are in the pockets of property developers.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2022 9:24]
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 10:57 - Jul 10 with 959 viewsNoelmc

Odeon 1 at Shepherds Bush Green was a regular destination for me in the 70's (and the location for my first date!).

Also liked Odeon 2 next door which had much more comfortable seats but tended to show smaller budget films.
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 11:06 - Jul 10 with 957 viewsQPRSteve

This will bring back a few memories for some of a certain age

https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/Home/Saturday-Morning-Pictures-on-TPTV-Encore
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 11:35 - Jul 10 with 944 viewsqpr_1968

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 07:15 - Jul 10 by Ranger_Things

I forgot about that Odeon. I remember coming out of there after watching Rocky and everyone was knocking 7 bells out of each other. The cinema was opposite the Commonwealth Institute, which was also destroyed despite being a listed building. Fcking RBK&C are in the pockets of property developers.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2022 9:24]

and our post office hub for w8 next door and behind. that was 12 years ago.
now we have to travel to park royal and back every day.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 13:51 - Jul 10 with 907 viewsAddinall

Odeon Harlesden for Saturday morning pictures.

Picardy Harlesden for Superman serial. If an 'A' picture was showing you had to find an adult to take you in.
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 14:51 - Jul 10 with 868 viewsflynnbo

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 11:34 - Jul 9 by DannytheR

Westbourne Grove and ABC Hammersmith were the big ones for me back in Raiders of the Lost Ark/Ghostbusters days.

Started going to the Electric in my teens. Still a proper old school arthouse fleapit at that point. Saw some things that blew my mind, and at least some of them were actually the films.

Fond of the old Whiteleys cinema too 'cos it's where I took the Mrs on our first date.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2022 11:40]

Clapham South, Mayfair in Tooting although the Classic in Tooting Bec was the “flea pit “. Apparently, the Beatles once played at the ABC in Tooting Broadway. Was a cinema in Balham (Ritz?) and the poky Ruby in Clapham Junction.
Nowadays, there’s the Ritzy in Brixton and the Clapham Picture House.
Wonderful Art Deco buildings and the Savoy in Northampton is stunning.
Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 15:51 - Jul 10 with 842 viewsRamseyR

Favourite cinema as a kid..... on 08:42 - Jul 9 by NorthantsHoop

South Harrow Odeon, Rayners Lane Odeon, Harrow Granada, Harrow ABC, Wembley Odeon and ABC.

Same area as me

Always remember the sweets kiosk was about 4 foot wide with one little old lady serving, and a queue of 20 kids. The good old days before it all became about what they could flog you....and Pearl & Dean
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024