Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test 12:19 - Aug 19 with 5673 viewsjoe90

Just seen this in the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/aug/19/qpr-ask-fans-to-take-blood-stem

A family friend of Jimmy Dunne needs an urgent bone marrow transfer. There will be a test centre outside the ground ahead of the game on Saturday.

If you're going Saturday please consider taking the test.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2022 12:19]
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 12:27 - Aug 19 with 4979 viewsA40Bosh

The advert has it as 12:30 to 2:30 so I registered for a home swab kit instead as I am bound to forget until I walk past at 2:35 and realise I have missed it

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 12:37 - Aug 19 with 4934 viewsstowmarketrange

I was on the Anthony Nolan register for almost 40 years,but never got the call to do my bit,but I think I’ve missed the cut off age now.Are they linked to this new campaign?
I’ve had to console myself with 133 blood donations instead.Just a shame they don’t give you a cup of tea anymore.
I hope they find a suitable donor in the near future.
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 13:05 - Aug 19 with 4846 viewsMedwayR

I've registered for the home swab kit too, easy to register and could make a huge difference to someone else.

Poll: Who’s better?

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 13:15 - Aug 19 with 4793 viewslightwaterhoop

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 12:37 - Aug 19 by stowmarketrange

I was on the Anthony Nolan register for almost 40 years,but never got the call to do my bit,but I think I’ve missed the cut off age now.Are they linked to this new campaign?
I’ve had to console myself with 133 blood donations instead.Just a shame they don’t give you a cup of tea anymore.
I hope they find a suitable donor in the near future.

I was on the Anthony Nolan register as well for about 30 years but never got a call.I recieved a letter this year to tell me that i was being taken off their list as i had reached the age of 61 and was no longer eligble.Why 61 im not sure.
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 13:20 - Aug 19 with 4771 viewsstowmarketrange

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 13:15 - Aug 19 by lightwaterhoop

I was on the Anthony Nolan register as well for about 30 years but never got a call.I recieved a letter this year to tell me that i was being taken off their list as i had reached the age of 61 and was no longer eligble.Why 61 im not sure.

I’m 61 and haven’t received a letter,although I’ve moved a few times over the years.
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 14:10 - Aug 19 with 4674 viewsPlanetHonneywood

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 13:15 - Aug 19 by lightwaterhoop

If you can still get a bone at 61, well done you!

Tremendous effort to commit to this from you and the poster before you. Well done to you both and QPR for facilitating.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 18:01 - Aug 19 with 4475 viewsStreathamRanger

Good few minutes on this just now on Radio Five. Jimmy Dunne spoke to the presenter. Comes across as a very humble guy.
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 18:16 - Aug 19 with 4419 viewsstainrods_elbow

As far as I'm aware, giving bone marrow can be pretty physically challenging - it's much more than just giving blood. Has anyone here done it?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Login to get fewer ads

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 19:03 - Aug 19 with 4386 viewseastside_r

Sorry but can anyone explain what this swab test entails, is it a bit like the Covid test?

And then what happens if you are a match? Presumably they will ask you to donate some bone marrow! Which I am not sure what that entails either but presumably pretty invasive?
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 19:33 - Aug 19 with 4342 viewsStreathamRanger

I don't think the swab is as unpleasant at covid test. Just a swab of the inside of your mouth.
No idea about the procedure but presumably it's safe otherwise I doubt they'd go ahead with the whole thing.
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 19:59 - Aug 19 with 4306 viewslightwaterhoop

When i went on the Bone Marrow register they took a blood sample at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead but that was about 30 years,it might be different now.The blood had to be treated within a few hours of being taken which was why they liked doing it there.
If your asked to donate your stem cells they take them from your hip and i think i am right in saying this you have to stay overnight in hospital and there is a small risk as in any medical procedure.
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 20:04 - Aug 19 with 4306 viewsjoe90

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 18:16 - Aug 19 by stainrods_elbow

As far as I'm aware, giving bone marrow can be pretty physically challenging - it's much more than just giving blood. Has anyone here done it?

You can find all the information here:

https://www.bbmr.co.uk/donating-stem-cells/
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 20:43 - Aug 19 with 4270 viewsstowmarketrange

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 19:59 - Aug 19 by lightwaterhoop

When i went on the Bone Marrow register they took a blood sample at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead but that was about 30 years,it might be different now.The blood had to be treated within a few hours of being taken which was why they liked doing it there.
If your asked to donate your stem cells they take them from your hip and i think i am right in saying this you have to stay overnight in hospital and there is a small risk as in any medical procedure.

I think stem cells is just like giving blood,but bone marrow involves a stay in hospital.
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 07:13 - Aug 20 with 4122 viewsPaddyhoops

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 18:01 - Aug 19 by StreathamRanger

Good few minutes on this just now on Radio Five. Jimmy Dunne spoke to the presenter. Comes across as a very humble guy.

Listen to this interview. Fantastic effort from club and Jimmy.
5 live’s Tony Livesy described as Fantastic family club. Nice touch!
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 08:25 - Aug 20 with 4072 viewsnix

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 20:43 - Aug 19 by stowmarketrange

I think stem cells is just like giving blood,but bone marrow involves a stay in hospital.

A friend's daughter was actually called upon to donate. I think she said it was an uncomfortable procedure but that paled into insignificance at the thought she might be saving a life!
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 08:51 - Aug 20 with 4044 viewsstowmarketrange

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 08:25 - Aug 20 by nix

A friend's daughter was actually called upon to donate. I think she said it was an uncomfortable procedure but that paled into insignificance at the thought she might be saving a life!

That must be an amazing feeling to know that you’ve changed somebody’s life so much.I give blood regularly and I know it helps to save lives as well,but it’s all so random compared to what your friend’s daughter did.Well done to her.
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 08:57 - Aug 20 with 4041 viewsflynnbo

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 08:51 - Aug 20 by stowmarketrange

That must be an amazing feeling to know that you’ve changed somebody’s life so much.I give blood regularly and I know it helps to save lives as well,but it’s all so random compared to what your friend’s daughter did.Well done to her.

It was a lovely interview with the boy’s mum just now on 5Live and to hear Daniel. Just a cheek swab.
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 09:24 - Aug 20 with 4003 viewsMrSheen

I signed up about 10 years ago when a local family ran a big registration drive to find a donor for their daughter. Unfortunately they couldn’t find one and the poor mite died about four years later. So, long odds, so the more that sign up the better chance the kid has. Do it, such a trivial effort gives you a great feeling.
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 10:02 - Aug 20 with 3968 viewsterryb

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 19:03 - Aug 19 by eastside_r

Sorry but can anyone explain what this swab test entails, is it a bit like the Covid test?

And then what happens if you are a match? Presumably they will ask you to donate some bone marrow! Which I am not sure what that entails either but presumably pretty invasive?

My son has taken the test and says it is basically a saliva swab from inside the cheeks to get your tissue type, and is far preferable to a Covid test! If you are a match for someone, you are contacted for a blood test to check if you are a close enough match, so they can decide who is the best donor

My wife was a match for her sister & volunteered to make a donation of stem cells.

She had proliferation injections for a few days prior to the donation, which I am assured didn't hurt! Then in hospital, was hooked up to a machine with a needle in each arm, while the bone marrow was extracted from the blood as it was taken from one arm and went back in to the other. It took about 4 or 5 hours. She was straight up and about again, and after checking that there were enough cells for a donation she left the hospital for home. No side effects to speak of bar a faint bruise on each arm, but she has said that if anyone needed it again, she wouldn't hesitate, though sadly she is now over the age limit to do it.
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 13:21 - Aug 20 with 3872 viewsMyke

This just got a plug on Sky from Jeff. I have no personal experience of donating bone marrow but a very good friend did it for her sister. Quite invasive involving an over-night stay but well worth it as her sister lived for another 7 1/2 years as a result. Obviously the family of the 14-year-old would be hoping for a lot longer than another 7 years, but they would probably take it this minute. Respect to all of you getting involved, hopefully somebody comes up trumps. Balances the books a bit for Mr O'Halloran's death
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 20:39 - Aug 20 with 3758 viewsdigswellhoop

all rady on list
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 13:51 - Oct 5 with 3200 viewsHAYESBOY

Really good news.

Smells like a trout farm in here

QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 13:54 - Oct 5 with 3182 viewsnix

Wow that's amazing. I hope it all works out!
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 18:32 - Oct 5 with 3014 viewshantssi

Just come back from giving blood, I’m O Negative so can be given to anybody without knowing their blood type.
I was also told today that I have “baby” blood whatever that means!
QPR ask fans to take blood stem cell donor test on 20:59 - Oct 5 with 2879 views67loftboy

This post is of particular interest to me as l have had a stem cell (bone marrow) transplant after being diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of Non Hodgkin Lymphoma ( blood cancer) 6 years ago.
My brother who was 63 at the time was a10/10 HLA match.
It would take me all night to try and explain the complexity’s and procedures involved in having a transplant and the complications and infections you have post transplant.
Collection of doner cells is fairly straight forward as is the transplant itself and l would gladly help with any questions someone might have if needed.
After a long journey l was finally given the all clear last year once l got my immune system back l am now about 90% of my old self.
I would appeal to anyone on this site to take the test as it could be you that is a match.
I had bloody shed fulls of chemo and radiotherapy over a long period but the treatment and care l had on the NHS was incredible, l owe them my brother and my family my life.
Lets give Jimmy Dunne’s friend every chance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024