Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This morning 15:12 - Oct 11 with 2140 viewsBoston

...myself and another fellah stopped at a shop in the Brighton area of Boston. It imports a lot of Brit/Irish stuff so you frequently meet and strike up conversation with strange euro types. This morning we heard a Yorkshire twang and had a chat with a Bradford City fan who had been injured, suffered burns in the '85 inferno. He'd luckily picked the pitch as his escape route, hope I never have to make a choice like that.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

This morning on 15:53 - Oct 11 with 1965 viewsTonto

it does put things into perspective.

You go to a football match to support your team and hopefully enjoy yourself (probably in that order). anything else is.... i cant think of the adjective - absurd? unfair? incomprehensible? all of the above?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

This morning on 16:09 - Oct 11 with 1891 viewsblacky200

This was exactly the reason why I hated grounds with fencing in front of the pitch. Bradford was a disaster but imagine how much worse if that stand had been fenced in.
This morning on 16:12 - Oct 11 with 1882 viewsstowmarketrange

Luckily they didn’t have fences around the pitch or the death toll would’ve been a lot greater.A really terrible decision to have to make,unfortunately similar to the one that too many made wrongly in Indonesia last week.
This morning on 16:34 - Oct 11 with 1792 viewshantssi

I had to watch/listen to it all unfold on a H&S course I attended years ago.
From the first report of a minor fire they put a clock up on the screen and within 5 minutes it was out of control.
It was a truly horrible thing to watch god knows how much worse it must have been to have experienced it first hand.
I feel truly sorry for anybody who experienced it having been close to a small fire myself.
This morning on 19:52 - Oct 11 with 1431 viewsPlanetHonneywood

We had a Bradford fan in our halls of residence, who regularly returned home to watch the Bantems.

He didn't return for a week after thatgame, we all feared the worst. When he did return, he was never the same again. None of us were able to ask him about it. Sadly there was always something distant about him after that.

Awful. You just feel for them.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

This morning on 00:26 - Oct 12 with 1100 viewsSydneyRs

Annoying that this tends to get forgotten and everything is about Hillsbrough rather than this and Heysel. All equally tragic events.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2022 0:27]
This morning on 08:44 - Oct 12 with 916 viewsLblock

This morning on 16:34 - Oct 11 by hantssi

I had to watch/listen to it all unfold on a H&S course I attended years ago.
From the first report of a minor fire they put a clock up on the screen and within 5 minutes it was out of control.
It was a truly horrible thing to watch god knows how much worse it must have been to have experienced it first hand.
I feel truly sorry for anybody who experienced it having been close to a small fire myself.

I've had to sit through that myself for an IOSH course - actually in Bradford itself.

It was as the tutor was putting it on he announced he was one of the attending firemen that day and left the service soon after as a result.
He said he'd shown the video countless times since and seen a whole range of emotions and it was perfectly okay for any single one of us to get emotional, leave the room if we wanted.... exclusively male from the Construction Industry. He then said "if anyone of you judges anyone else in this room for doing that or makes a wise crack I will personally throw you out of the window, go downstairs simply to make sure you've suffered terrible injuries"
I was a bit bemused... didn't expect what I saw or how it made me feel.
Really hit me in the guts and I just kept thinking "how many grounds like that have I been in? How stupid have I been?".... seeing the old man wandering around totally ablaze tipped me over and I was numb.

If you watch that H&S video and don't have an absolute respect for fire safety afterwards then you are beyond a dickhead.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

This morning on 10:28 - Oct 12 with 775 viewsderbyhoop

Did a few years as a steward at Derby County. Bradford fire video formed part of our training. A few years later there was a non football event at Baseball Ground, where they had wooden stands, and we smelt smoke. It took ages to evacuate the stand.
Fortunately somebody had lit a bonfire in one of nearby allotments, so we didn't need the precautions.

But it is illustrative of the difficulties of trying to evacuate LR if there were an emergency. Especially Stanley Bowles stand.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024