Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy 22:37 - Nov 24 with 12832 viewsqprxtc

There’s a musicologist out there somewhere that will name the chords and reasons why this makes me yearn for a hanky.

Gordon Bennett, emotions are strong in this one.

As they are in this bastard

F uck a duck. Melon Collie. You bastard.
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 23:51 - Nov 24 with 6186 viewsNorthLondonR

This will be a tough listen for most (and undoubtedly most will get bored) but I was transfixed by this at the time c.1993 when I first heard it as I was always (and still ) mesmerised by historic and real life recordings and the fact this was a recording of homeless folk around Waterloo station in the early 70s just took me right there... It's a slow burner but it also reminds me of my late grandpa (1912-1994) so just makes me drift to that time.. strangely Mungo Jerry's video for In the Summertime shot at Marble Arch does exactly the same...

But slightly more modern (2005) I was always transfixed by this track inspired by a needless argument and murder:

[Post edited 25 Nov 2022 0:17]
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 23:59 - Nov 24 with 6176 viewsdistortR

This is glorious melancholy for me. Wistful....I remember where I first heard it, sitting in my bedroom on a wet night, full of teen angst, finger hovering over the 'play' button of the tape recorder, counter number remembered, as I listened to the John Peel show.
Oh for youth, romance, hope....

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 00:13 - Nov 25 with 6153 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Was going through a tough time some years ago because of a close death in the family and this randomly played on my iPhone causing me to cry my guts out after not having done so throughout.

When I hear it now it does the same:

[Post edited 25 Nov 2022 0:14]
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 00:26 - Nov 25 with 6138 viewsCiderwithRsie

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 23:59 - Nov 24 by distortR

This is glorious melancholy for me. Wistful....I remember where I first heard it, sitting in my bedroom on a wet night, full of teen angst, finger hovering over the 'play' button of the tape recorder, counter number remembered, as I listened to the John Peel show.
Oh for youth, romance, hope....

God, yes, The Chameleons - all of that. Very 80s. How do kids cope now without cassette recorders?
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 00:36 - Nov 25 with 6121 viewsdistortR

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 00:26 - Nov 25 by CiderwithRsie

God, yes, The Chameleons - all of that. Very 80s. How do kids cope now without cassette recorders?

Mate, when I was 15 I got a summer job working with Karl in a fish factory. £1/hr, I worked and saved and bought a beige sanyo record player, radio and tape deck for £100. I could make tapes off the radio and off records! I loved that thing, and the fact that I earnt the money for it made it even more special.
I was 16 when I first heard the Chameleons song. Within the year my youthful hope and zest would have me living the dream - squats, drugs, nights in cells, Rangers etc, Oh well!
I'd do it all again, though.
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 00:37 - Nov 25 with 6123 viewsCiderwithRsie

Played this pretty randomly on the way back from dropping my daughter off at university in Aberystwyth last autumn. It's the loveliest drive. Sun going down behind me on the Irish Sea and lighting up the hills in front of me; half moon as it happens rather than full, but in the sky in front off me; heading home alone, knowing it'd be dark by the time I got in, thinking how proud of her her mum would be and the opening just got to me: "Everybody else has gone, But you're still here with me." Which she wasn't and was, if you see what I mean.

"I miss you more than I can say.
I can't remember how I pass the time (with you away),
Wondering if you'll ever know
How much you mean to me."

And then the sax solo...the bloody thing stayed with me for weeks

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=sandy+denny+everyon
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 00:38 - Nov 25 with 6117 viewsdistortR

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 00:37 - Nov 25 by CiderwithRsie

Played this pretty randomly on the way back from dropping my daughter off at university in Aberystwyth last autumn. It's the loveliest drive. Sun going down behind me on the Irish Sea and lighting up the hills in front of me; half moon as it happens rather than full, but in the sky in front off me; heading home alone, knowing it'd be dark by the time I got in, thinking how proud of her her mum would be and the opening just got to me: "Everybody else has gone, But you're still here with me." Which she wasn't and was, if you see what I mean.

"I miss you more than I can say.
I can't remember how I pass the time (with you away),
Wondering if you'll ever know
How much you mean to me."

And then the sax solo...the bloody thing stayed with me for weeks

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=sandy+denny+everyon

mate, you've got me going now x
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 01:43 - Nov 25 with 6077 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Every time.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 01:51 - Nov 25 with 6074 viewsDannyPaddox

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 03:05 - Nov 25 with 6030 viewsBucksRanger

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 07:00 - Nov 25 with 6002 viewsdmm

This won't be to everyone's tastes but I've been a Pat Metheny fan for over 30 years. This piece reminds me of so much that's been and gone over that time.

I'll have it played at my funeral!

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 08:47 - Nov 25 with 5949 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 00:36 - Nov 25 by distortR

Mate, when I was 15 I got a summer job working with Karl in a fish factory. £1/hr, I worked and saved and bought a beige sanyo record player, radio and tape deck for £100. I could make tapes off the radio and off records! I loved that thing, and the fact that I earnt the money for it made it even more special.
I was 16 when I first heard the Chameleons song. Within the year my youthful hope and zest would have me living the dream - squats, drugs, nights in cells, Rangers etc, Oh well!
I'd do it all again, though.

This brings back memories of hours spent recording tracks

When I first went travelling in 1990, I borrowed a tape-to-tape and recorded loads of songs from tapes and the radio. Took planning and time and you always had that agonising situation of having 33 left on the tape counter and wondering what you could put on to max out the tape's capacity. Then with your walkman, that was your music for the next year!

Subsequent travels saw me rock up with an iPod, and hours spent taping evaporated to a near meaningless transaction. Now, I am sure I am behind the curve with spotify on my phone.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 09:37 - Nov 25 with 5927 viewsEsox_Lucius

The Living Years by Mike & The Mechanics. I just cannot listen to it.

The grass is always greener.

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 09:41 - Nov 25 with 5924 viewsAirtomoreira

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 07:00 - Nov 25 by dmm

This won't be to everyone's tastes but I've been a Pat Metheny fan for over 30 years. This piece reminds me of so much that's been and gone over that time.

Big PM fan here, going back at least as long as you. Love this track, but no melancholic thoughts at all when I hear it. I'll post links to the two that really knock me sideways.....
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 09:46 - Nov 25 with 5910 viewsAirtomoreira

Just can't listen to these without welling up

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 09:55 - Nov 25 with 5891 viewsHantsR

This film and particularly this song has so many memories for me and even when I saw the play 'Local Hero' at Chichester theatre last week, I found I had something in my eye when it was played.

One of my most poignant and haunting memories is when it was played at my friend's memorial service. He was in the UTA plane blown up over Niger in 1989
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 11:41 - Nov 25 with 5837 viewsSuperhoop83

Suffering since 1978.

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 12:11 - Nov 25 with 5822 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 08:47 - Nov 25 by PlanetHonneywood

This brings back memories of hours spent recording tracks

When I first went travelling in 1990, I borrowed a tape-to-tape and recorded loads of songs from tapes and the radio. Took planning and time and you always had that agonising situation of having 33 left on the tape counter and wondering what you could put on to max out the tape's capacity. Then with your walkman, that was your music for the next year!

Subsequent travels saw me rock up with an iPod, and hours spent taping evaporated to a near meaningless transaction. Now, I am sure I am behind the curve with spotify on my phone.

I remember I used to tape the top 40 chart show off of the radio sometimes on a Sunday afternoon. Most of it was Tiffany and Belinda Carlisle but I remember one time it had Prefab Sprout - King of Rock n Roll. I’d never heard anything like it and I played and rewound it over and over until I’d learned all of the words.

Anyway they say some singers have a throaty voice and some have a nasal voise. The singer in this band sounds like he’s singing through the tear ducts in his eyes.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 14:12 - Nov 25 with 5780 viewsRangersw12

This was played at my Dads funeral haven't played it for a couple of years as it still makes me cry.
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 15:08 - Nov 25 with 5749 viewsbollockchops

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 15:51 - Nov 25 with 5707 viewsizlingtonhoop

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 15:57 - Nov 25 with 5702 viewsizlingtonhoop

Two on a similar theme (to each other)

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 16:23 - Nov 25 with 5687 viewsdmm

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 15:51 - Nov 25 by izlingtonhoop

I bought his Sweet Baby James album when it came out and was desperate to play guitar like him. This beauty takes me right back then.
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 06:04 - Nov 26 with 5585 viewsDannyPaddox

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 07:00 - Nov 25 by dmm

Jesus fcuking christmas stay alive David I never want to hear that shit again …
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 06:13 - Nov 26 with 5583 viewsDannyPaddox

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024