Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone been to Venice ? 23:04 - Mar 7 with 5191 viewswombat

Heading off their end of the month for a few days , apart from taking deep pockets anything else worth seeing when I’m there .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Anyone been to Venice ? on 11:57 - Mar 8 with 1281 viewsSonofpugwash

Went there in the sixties,ain't changed much since then.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Anyone been to Venice ? on 13:07 - Mar 8 with 1187 viewsAntti_Heinola

Anyone been to Venice ? on 10:35 - Mar 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

Pick that name up from the floor Antii! 😆

I mean, if you can't name drop in the middle of the most depressing season in two decades, when can you? ;)

Bare bones.

Anyone been to Venice ? on 13:32 - Mar 8 with 1160 viewsRamseyR

Much what others have said

Get the water bus that goes down the main river instead of a pretentious gondola. There's a reason all the gondola owning families are millionaires.

I'm not a foodie luvvie, but we found food to be average and overpriced even in the cheaper areas. Sitting next to water anywhere doubles the price of a beer or a coffee.

Fantastic place though...so thoroughly recommend it.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 13:41 - Mar 8 with 1139 viewsRangersDave

if you really want to save money, there's an Aldi about 300 metres from St. Marks Square, back left corner. Rolls, and sliced cheese and meet for roughly Aldi prices.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Anyone been to Venice ? on 14:09 - Mar 8 with 1120 viewswombat

Anyone been to Venice ? on 10:46 - Mar 8 by CiderwithRsie

Went there for my honeymoon, in midwinter. The place was flooded, and not just in the old "streets are falloff water, please advise" gag way, the hotel had moved everything out of the ground floor. We bought wellies from the shop next door.

Anyway, echo the points others have made about this being a good time of year to go, and that just wandering around is the thing to do. Whole place is about the size of the West End, but with no cars and everything built about 500 years ago.

St Mark's and the Doge's Palace are obvious choices but still essential - I was taken with the enormous globes in the Palace, gave me a real sense of those guys sitting there plotting out trade routes across the world, Marco Polo-style.

Also: cafe corretto - an espresso with a shot in it - is the absolute business on a cold morning.

did wonder about the wellie boot situation there this time of year , im a werido dont drink coffee cant stand the stuff im affriad lol

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Anyone been to Venice ? on 14:53 - Mar 8 with 1067 viewsBoston

Get off at Warwick Ave...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Anyone been to Venice ? on 14:54 - Mar 8 with 1064 viewsstrikerace

Sit outside and have drinks at night in St Marks square, each bar has a piano player and they take turns. Its touristy, and the drinks are not cheap, but it is really cool

Hit the Devil's Forrest Pub, the oldest pub in Venice.

Just walk, it is such a walking place. You can walk it all in 1.5 days
Anyone been to Venice ? on 15:30 - Mar 8 with 1034 viewsderbyhoop

Went a long time ago.
Stay off the island. 24 hour bus pass was cheap.
St Marks is a rip off, so go away from tourist areas for food and drink.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone been to Venice ? on 16:17 - Mar 8 with 1000 viewsRs_Holy

Love Venice! Yes it's expensive and touristy but it's also unique and stunningly beautiful too.
My advice is just walk and get lost. You will find yourself walking down streets with a handful of other people. Stop off for a coffee and just take it easy.
On the food front, the fritto misto is stunning (if you like fish).
Anyone been to Venice ? on 18:51 - Mar 8 with 927 viewsCheshireR

I arrive in Venice on Friday 31st and will be watching Venezia take on Marc Bircham's Como in Serie B the following day.
As previously mentioned the stadium is a belter.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 19:02 - Mar 8 with 913 viewsCiderwithRsie

Anyone been to Venice ? on 14:09 - Mar 8 by wombat

did wonder about the wellie boot situation there this time of year , im a werido dont drink coffee cant stand the stuff im affriad lol

In that case, just stick to a shot of grappa just after breakfast.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 19:59 - Mar 8 with 876 viewsSuperhoops2808

Dont want to be a party pooper Wombat

But before you toddle off to Venice, you may want to read this and a few other articles available

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/01/photos-show-venices-canals-running-dry-amid-low-
Anyone been to Venice ? on 21:25 - Mar 8 with 813 viewsLogman

I was lucky to live in the next town up from Venice for one year from 97 - 98 so regularly visited the city. Just trying to find your way through the maze of 'calles' from the station to St Mark's Square is an experience in itself. Once there it is nice to head out to the Lido by a vaporetto if the weather is good. Paradiso Perduto is good but not essential. And you can climb up the campanile (bell tower) in St Mark's Square to get a panoramic view of the city. If you are in an authentic bar see if they have got 'Punch'. Its the Italians equivalent of mulled wine/gluewein and it certainly clears the nose.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024