Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Macbook advice 08:33 - Apr 25 with 2405 viewshubble

Hello people, I'd like to tap into the LFW store of knowledge if I may: I need to buy a new Macbook to replace my current 2011 model, which has stood me in incredibly good stead all these years, but it's time to retire it.

I've found what looks like a decent option: a 2022 Apple MacBook Air 13.6" Liquid Retina Display, M2 Processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. Just over a grand at John Lewis. If there are any Macbook users out there, I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether this is a good option. Thanks in advance.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Macbook advice on 10:00 - Apr 25 with 2298 viewsozranger

My only comment would be to increase the storage to 512Gb if you can. You will find that 256Gb will fill up rather quickly and the system can take up a good chunk of that as it is. On my MB Pro, the system takes up 85Gb. That's before you add the apps.
Macbook advice on 10:09 - Apr 25 with 2286 viewsBklynRanger

Macbook advice on 10:00 - Apr 25 by ozranger

My only comment would be to increase the storage to 512Gb if you can. You will find that 256Gb will fill up rather quickly and the system can take up a good chunk of that as it is. On my MB Pro, the system takes up 85Gb. That's before you add the apps.

Agree with that - you'd probably only have about 200gb left once the operating system and apps are in there, which seems a bit tight. Not impossible though by any means.

One thing I picked up when looking at this stuff recently was that the M1 version of the Macbook Air was still considered a real bargain, even in the apple line up.

The wife has one and they are good (no idea why they're still calling them 'air' though, it's far from light.) Might be worth looking around for any good deals on M1 versions if you haven't yet.
Macbook advice on 10:10 - Apr 25 with 2283 viewsJuzzie

For work I've just taken delivery of a brand new 2022/23 Mac Book Pro, M2 chip and 1TB drive.
Yes, big improvement over my 2017 M1 Mac Book Pro.

Absolutely go for the highest hard drive you can afford, 256Gb these days is nothing. If not already done, get an external drive too and use it as a time machine back up. As we've seen on another thread, without this it's a right royal pain transferring stuff over to the new machine (as I found out too so I now have one connected).
Macbook advice on 10:15 - Apr 25 with 2273 viewsClive_Anderson

If you don't need it to be a laptop then Mac Minis are pretty good and quite a lot cheaper.
Macbook advice on 10:23 - Apr 25 with 2255 viewsToast_R

Just get a windows laptop and you can have all that for half the price.
Macbook advice on 10:31 - Apr 25 with 2241 viewsShotKneesHoop

I've got a MacBook that is now almost year and its very good, but what is is unbelievable value its the latest iPad. As long as you can put up with the virtual keyboard - it is fantastic value. I'd recommend you do what I did, get both.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Macbook advice on 10:36 - Apr 25 with 2236 viewsCateLeBonR

Macbook advice on 10:23 - Apr 25 by Toast_R

Just get a windows laptop and you can have all that for half the price.

Half the price but twice the trouble.

Agree with the other comments to go for the bigger drive if you can. I know that the 256gb Mac mini apparently suffers from some kind of bottleneck but not sure if it's the same with the MacBook Pro. Although if your current laptop is 256 or smaller and you're happy with it, it might not be a problem.
Macbook advice on 10:45 - Apr 25 with 2218 viewsToast_R

Macbook advice on 10:36 - Apr 25 by CateLeBonR

Half the price but twice the trouble.

Agree with the other comments to go for the bigger drive if you can. I know that the 256gb Mac mini apparently suffers from some kind of bottleneck but not sure if it's the same with the MacBook Pro. Although if your current laptop is 256 or smaller and you're happy with it, it might not be a problem.

I disagree, I've had a MacBook since 2011 but in that time I've had to replace the hard drive, which f*cked out after three years, the trackpad the RAM, the battery and the power adapter twice. Its a bit like Triggers Broom now. I wouldn't buy another one for the price they charge, just doesn't make sense to me.
Login to get fewer ads

Macbook advice on 10:46 - Apr 25 with 2214 viewshubble

Thanks a lot everyone, that's brilliant advice, much appreciated. I've been using a Mac for years, so I'm not going to change to Windows, but I get there's a big price difference. Off to buy it now!

Macbook advice on 11:00 - Apr 25 with 2184 viewsBklynRanger

Far too decisive for my liking Hubble!

How are we supposed to get this to 8 pages of culture wars with behaviour like that?!
Macbook advice on 11:09 - Apr 25 with 2170 viewsToast_R

Macbook advice on 11:00 - Apr 25 by BklynRanger

How are we supposed to get this to 8 pages of culture wars with behaviour like that?!

Perhaps we can try Nespresso Vs Dolce Gusto

I've always been a Nespresso man myself and controversially; I buy my coffee pods from Lidls.
Macbook advice on 11:14 - Apr 25 with 2165 viewsbosh67

Even on the new M1 computers or any Mac keep a Time Machine drive attached. Lacie tough are good as they are well made.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Macbook advice on 11:31 - Apr 25 with 2124 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

They’ve removed USB ports to force you to buy a adapter the snide fckers so be aware of that.
Macbook advice on 11:33 - Apr 25 with 2124 viewsBklynRanger

Macbook advice on 11:09 - Apr 25 by Toast_R

Perhaps we can try Nespresso Vs Dolce Gusto

I've always been a Nespresso man myself and controversially; I buy my coffee pods from Lidls.

I refute and reject the use of any such pods. I buy my coffee from a company in Glasgow and use a sub par cafetiere to convert it into a liquid format.

I consider the likes of you to be part of the problem and so does my colleague Tucker Carlson.
Macbook advice on 11:45 - Apr 25 with 2108 viewsozranger

Macbook advice on 11:31 - Apr 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

They’ve removed USB ports to force you to buy a adapter the snide fckers so be aware of that.

And the monitor port. Don't buy an adapter from Apple. When I got my MB Pro last May, the Apple guy actually told me to get a different and lot cheaper adapter elsewhere. Get one with both USB ports and an HDMI port. The laptop will probably have two ports, one of which you will use for the power and the other for the adapter.
Macbook advice on 12:03 - Apr 25 with 2078 viewsJuzzie

Macbook advice on 11:31 - Apr 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

Plenty of non Apple USB hubs out there so they don't make any money from that.
My 2017 Mac Book Pro didn't have USB-A ports either so it's not a recent thing.

I have a (powered) StarTech hub with 7 USB ports all going through just one USB-C port on the Mac, does the trick nicely. Costs about £55 (not that I had to pay for that).
Macbook advice on 12:07 - Apr 25 with 2057 viewsBlackCrowe

Agree with comments on 256GB. I've got a 2020 Pro and I'm stuck with it and 256gb is too close to the bone. I love it but should've gone for 512gb.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Macbook advice on 12:09 - Apr 25 with 2054 viewscpgerber

16 GB RAM would be my advice, will serve you better in the long run.

Lack of disk space you can always solve with cloud storage or external drives, memory not so easy to fix later.
Macbook advice on 12:52 - Apr 25 with 2010 viewshubble

Macbook advice on 11:00 - Apr 25 by BklynRanger

Soz man, you're right. I should have ummed and aahed much longer!!

Macbook advice on 13:46 - Apr 25 with 1928 viewsBklynRanger

Macbook advice on 12:52 - Apr 25 by hubble

Soz man, you're right. I should have ummed and aahed much longer!!

Did you get it anyway?
Macbook advice on 13:48 - Apr 25 with 1923 viewshubble

Macbook advice on 13:46 - Apr 25 by BklynRanger

Did you get it anyway?

Yes! It is winging it's way to me as we speak.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024