Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season 13:18 - Jun 14 with 2564 viewsRed_Ranger

I haven't seen anything positive about our football since GA has been in charge except perhaps the commitment and directness at that Watford game. Everything else terrified me. Did anyone watch Wycombe in their promotion season? Was there anything there to give us some hope?
Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 13:35 - Jun 14 with 2475 viewsslmrstid

They scored goals and won games, which is pretty much better than anything we've achieved in the last 18 months...
Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 13:49 - Jun 14 with 2430 viewsR_from_afar

I saw them a few times that season. I was impressed by the levels of effort and determination and the fact that they staged a lot of late comebacks. There seemed to be a great togetherness in the squad and they never appeared beaten.

I don't recall much or even any aimless hoofing. While they were playing with one big targetman most of the time, they also had smaller, agile players in attacking positions. They liked to move the ball forward quickly, especially down the wings. I really would not describe it as ugly, old-fashionable attritional football, but perhaps that's just some sort of bias I have. It wasn't possession obsessed, Swanselona type football, but it was energetic and committed and I found it exciting.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 14:13 - Jun 14 with 2328 viewswesty

Think the emphasis is nearly always wrongly put on the manager. Should look into the eyes of the failing squad as much as anything else.

At Wycombe GA put together a squad who would play through the pain barrier, work like their job depended on it, give their all in every battle,and more often than not they would upset the so called bigger teams with their work ethics. But understand that it took patience and time to assemble that belief.

Wycombe were 90 minutes from non league football and would probably be forgotten about by now. So to turn that around to what he did was a huge achievement.
Small budget assembled with good pros, excellent loans and pure dedication every time they crossed the line.

Sure Wycombe are a small club punching well above their weight but you don’t get anywhere without togetherness and unity and buying into a certain way of thinking. That is what he put together there over a period of time.

Granted a lot of games last year were devoid of any of what I’ve just written and as the leader of his pack it is his responsibility to put that right. In certain games he did that but the majority of times it was dreadful but that is more to do with overhyped fragile personnel than anything else.

He gets a lot of stick branding his style of play as Hoofball, however not all the goals and wins are attained that way. Sure get the ball forward quickly and directly then play in their 3rd. Isn’t that what a lot of teams set out to do. But to do that as stated you need the right attitude from the players.

Give me 30/40 % possession and winning games against 70% possession getting nowhere but looking pretty all day long.

I’m afraid he won’t be allowed such time here as a big section of the fans seem to have this inflated perception of playing the QPR way, which I’m a bit confused about. Hardly the second coming of Barca long before GA was appointed.

I hope he gets time to prove his worth as I think he could steady the ship and progress but I think the ship is on faulty Azipods and therefore in for a rough ride for a while.
Also its passengers seem to think they are sailing on Cunard rather than Fred Olsen.
Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 14:54 - Jun 14 with 2235 viewsLoyalitat

They got a huge leg up from the EFL as they were lying eighth I believe at the time when the season was curtailed due to covid. Average points per game was implemented to determine the play-off places without factoring in form, number of home/away games remaining and quality of opposition.

Luck. He may be blessed with loads of it, which could be to our advantage.
Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 15:17 - Jun 14 with 2170 viewswesty

Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 14:54 - Jun 14 by Loyalitat

They got a huge leg up from the EFL as they were lying eighth I believe at the time when the season was curtailed due to covid. Average points per game was implemented to determine the play-off places without factoring in form, number of home/away games remaining and quality of opposition.

Luck. He may be blessed with loads of it, which could be to our advantage.

Think luck is a bit harsh. It was the same for every club. There was always going to be winners and losers in that situation.
The biggest slice of luck they got was in the final of the play off but that gets overlooked because of the situation you mentioned. Think there was only 2 or 3 games left. They certainly didn’t get any luck the following season when Derby cheated the FFP and the Efl failed to apply the rules to them.

Was it the great Gary Player who once famously said
“The harder I try the luckier I get.”

Maybe once he gets that into his players mindset things may indeed turn luckier for them.

We all need luck in our life.
Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 15:34 - Jun 14 with 2127 viewsBluce_Ree

With us, maybe there was no time for the niceties of playing good football and he just had to go all in on grit and determination.

Either way, he kept us up and now we've got time to rebuild.

Or c**t it right up, QPR style, and start the season with even worse players.

Who knows?

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 15:42 - Jun 14 with 2084 viewsCamberleyR

Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 15:17 - Jun 14 by westy

Think luck is a bit harsh. It was the same for every club. There was always going to be winners and losers in that situation.
The biggest slice of luck they got was in the final of the play off but that gets overlooked because of the situation you mentioned. Think there was only 2 or 3 games left. They certainly didn’t get any luck the following season when Derby cheated the FFP and the Efl failed to apply the rules to them.

Was it the great Gary Player who once famously said
“The harder I try the luckier I get.”

Maybe once he gets that into his players mindset things may indeed turn luckier for them.

We all need luck in our life.

They had 12 games left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_EFL_League_One#League_table

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 16:07 - Jun 14 with 1993 viewswesty

Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 15:42 - Jun 14 by CamberleyR

They had 12 games left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_EFL_League_One#League_table

Wow I never realised it was that far out. So tbf they could have got Automatic promotion
Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 16:20 - Jun 14 with 1928 viewsRangersw12

Anyone who saw the games under Ainsworth last season would quite rightly be nervous about the upcoming season .

He was tactically naive in the majority of games and we played some of the worst football I've seen in decades

End of the day this isn't Wycombe and the quicker he realises that the better as comments like being scared of the Championship isn't going to go down well with the fanbase .

He needs to change his style of play and if that means 433 with agile runners , hardworking team with loads of crosses and pressing then the fans will buy into it.

442 with with everyone behind the ball and hoofing to Chris Martin the fans will quite rightly be up in arms .

End of the day it's up to Ainsworth to adapt and it's not the fans fault if we won't accept a poor reincarnation of Wimbledon of the 80's
Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 17:26 - Jun 14 with 1790 viewsHunterhoop

They key, for us suppprters, next season will be parking whatever our view of Ainsworth is from the season just gone or from Wycombe, and giving him a fair crack at this season after having a proper pre-season and no doubt having some say over the squad.

That means not finding fault because you had a pre-determined view, or defending him regardless of any poor decisions on his part. Judge him on next season and next season alone. And the bar to which we judge him should be, are we improving on last season. If we improve every year we’ll be quite good before long.
Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 18:58 - Jun 14 with 1677 viewsDorse

I want to put this 'Gaz is scared of the Championship' bit to bed. This is a man that has seen Danny Shittu in the shower.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 08:48 - Jun 15 with 1320 viewswombat

Ainsworth and Wycombe promotion season on 18:58 - Jun 14 by Dorse

I want to put this 'Gaz is scared of the Championship' bit to bed. This is a man that has seen Danny Shittu in the shower.

lol anyone think he might have been saying it slightly tounge in cheek about being scared ?

and ive also been close to the walking tripod dan shittu at a player of the year do while going for a slash , to be honest it looked a little like SWP

Poll: which is your favouite foot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024