Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. 19:04 - Jul 13 with 8040 viewsKodika

The Second Tier podcast (which I listen to regularly) have just posted a new episode today where they look at all the 24 managers in the Championship and rank them in order of how much they would want them in charge of their football club.

Today's episode covers the managers from 13 to 24th.

You may be surprised (or not!) to find out that they rank our Gareth at bottom of the pile.

I f you want to listen, he is the first they talk about. And they are not very complimentary!

I normally find the two guy's who host the podcast, Ryan Dilks and Justin Peach as very knowledgeable and fair.

Would be interested to hear others thoughts after they have listened. It will only take up 10 minutes of your time to listen to the Gareth section.
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 19:25 - Jul 13 with 6303 viewsRs_Holy

Good … haven’t listened to out yet but thats good. Zero expectation works in our favour 👍
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 19:28 - Jul 13 with 6287 viewsKodika

Just discovered that the podcast is now also up on YouTube.
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 19:35 - Jul 13 with 6233 viewsswisscottage

Well the plus side of this is there isn't much chance of him doing a Beale this season if we start well.
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 19:46 - Jul 13 with 6172 viewsSAPilgrim

To be honest I stopped listening once they said he took a ‘mid table’ side and nearly got it relegated. To anyone paying attention that was a team clearly already on a significant decline. I think there’s plenty of criticism and worries to be had about him but the second tier lads are better entertainment than critical masterminds
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 19:47 - Jul 13 with 6167 viewsHoopstar

I think they're saying what many on here think.

Zero expectation probably does work in our favour as others say. Currently have a side with no identity, that is worse off depth wise than the one which almost went down last year so every little advantage helps.

Not sure the point that we weren't in relegation trouble before he joined is fair given we were already mid-plummet. I thought we were down post Sunderland at home emotionally.
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 19:58 - Jul 13 with 6087 viewsJigsore

it's light on humour but Not the Top 20 is a much better pod for analysis and predictions. Second Tier... do memes on twitter I guess?

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 21:25 - Jul 13 with 5701 viewsNorthernr

Gab Sutton is the one to listen to if you want a general EFL content. The research that guy does is insane. He's in touch constantly on DMs asking what's going on, what happened at the weekend, what we think of this youth teamer, and he's doing it for every club too. His work rate and dedication is out of this world. He's doing a deep dive on every club over the summer and they're all well worth a listen.

NotTheTop20... I don't know, nice lads, but they've basically mastered the art of succinctly and politely saying "oooh, Reading, big financial problems there, probably going to struggle" without swearing or speaking for more than 30 seconds. So they're now on Sky, ITV etc as experts. Compared to the meatheads Sky and ITV usually put on the EFL I guess they are. They'e launched a substack with some long form written stuff and some great contributors so maybe I'll give that a go.

Second Tier... it just feels like they're saying provocative things about stuff they haven't read into very much, which they can then clip for socials and get a whole load of pile on to drive engagement.

This will make me sound arrogant but I know the journalists and podcasts that send me messages asking about an incident, game, appointment, signing before they write about, to try and sound out what the feeling on the ground is before they start prophesising about it. Jack Pitt Brooke at The Athletic for instance, whenever he has a QPR interview, in touch asking what he should ask. Gab Sutton the same. I'm always a bit suspicious of people who purport to cover QPR and offer an opinion on them who not only don't get in touch with the big fan accounts, but also don't even follow then on socials.
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 21:40 - Jul 13 with 5625 viewsdaveB

I've been quite critical of Ainsworth and have big doubts about him but really hope he proves me and others wrong.

The latest miced up video was an interesting one seeing and hearing Ainsworth coaching the team

Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 22:00 - Jul 13 with 5551 viewsnumbers912

I was astounded by the knowledge of that Gab Sutton guy. I assumed he was Rangers thru and thru with his questions and familiarity with the club. The Second Tier guys seem very half assed in comparison but that said I find it personally difficult to disagree with their comments sadly.
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 22:16 - Jul 13 with 5466 viewsingeminate

Thanks for sharing - good watch. I like his passion, his communication and really, really hope he gets us going this season. He’s 100% isn’t he. Made me think of Redknapp in a portacabin going through that days runners and riders, moaning about his knee and plotting his next mega waged big name waster. At least Ainsworth will give everything he’s got.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 22:51 - Jul 13 with 5303 viewsdaveinmelbourne

Hasn’t it always been the QPR way to do the opposite of what’s expected? I suspect Ainsworth is a lot smarter than what people give him credit for.
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 23:00 - Jul 13 with 5262 viewsQPR_John

I’m sure he spends many sleepless nights.
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 00:00 - Jul 14 with 5088 viewsMatch82

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 19:46 - Jul 13 by SAPilgrim

To be honest I stopped listening once they said he took a ‘mid table’ side and nearly got it relegated. To anyone paying attention that was a team clearly already on a significant decline. I think there’s plenty of criticism and worries to be had about him but the second tier lads are better entertainment than critical masterminds

Yeah it does smack a bit of "we've got to talk about ainsworth, someone get on wikipedia real quick and figure out his win rate and where they were when he took over"
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 00:23 - Jul 14 with 5035 viewsQPRConor2000

Ive stopped listening to it tbh, I much prefer NTT20 podcast and Gab Sutton who I find more balanced in their views.

They seem to be very anti-QPR.
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 01:11 - Jul 14 with 4992 viewsBoston

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 21:25 - Jul 13 by Northernr

Gab Sutton is the one to listen to if you want a general EFL content. The research that guy does is insane. He's in touch constantly on DMs asking what's going on, what happened at the weekend, what we think of this youth teamer, and he's doing it for every club too. His work rate and dedication is out of this world. He's doing a deep dive on every club over the summer and they're all well worth a listen.

NotTheTop20... I don't know, nice lads, but they've basically mastered the art of succinctly and politely saying "oooh, Reading, big financial problems there, probably going to struggle" without swearing or speaking for more than 30 seconds. So they're now on Sky, ITV etc as experts. Compared to the meatheads Sky and ITV usually put on the EFL I guess they are. They'e launched a substack with some long form written stuff and some great contributors so maybe I'll give that a go.

Second Tier... it just feels like they're saying provocative things about stuff they haven't read into very much, which they can then clip for socials and get a whole load of pile on to drive engagement.

This will make me sound arrogant but I know the journalists and podcasts that send me messages asking about an incident, game, appointment, signing before they write about, to try and sound out what the feeling on the ground is before they start prophesising about it. Jack Pitt Brooke at The Athletic for instance, whenever he has a QPR interview, in touch asking what he should ask. Gab Sutton the same. I'm always a bit suspicious of people who purport to cover QPR and offer an opinion on them who not only don't get in touch with the big fan accounts, but also don't even follow then on socials.

In an effort to cut costs, the New York times wrapped up their sports dept and now rely on The Athletic to fill the columns in the back pages. This will extend The Athletics life expectancy by about five years or so as they are losing money hand over fist.

No dog in the fight, just a business assessment.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 01:17 - Jul 14 with 4989 viewsNorthernr

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 01:11 - Jul 14 by Boston

In an effort to cut costs, the New York times wrapped up their sports dept and now rely on The Athletic to fill the columns in the back pages. This will extend The Athletics life expectancy by about five years or so as they are losing money hand over fist.

I have to say, Jack apart, I find the Athletic over here mostly very poor and have unsubscribed (and if I'm not the audience for long form written football journalism in the UK who is?). A ridiculously high proportion of their content is four lads who were Forest fans as boys because of Clough now going to work and having a wnk onto their keyboard everyday - 6,000 words on why Brennan Johnson is the Star Boy, by his dad and some cnt that saw him play U13s once. And you want my money for that? Nah.
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 01:58 - Jul 14 with 4932 viewsSydneyRs

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 21:40 - Jul 13 by daveB

I've been quite critical of Ainsworth and have big doubts about him but really hope he proves me and others wrong.

The latest miced up video was an interesting one seeing and hearing Ainsworth coaching the team

Yeah I'd agree with this, its just will he be given time if as seems likely we're struggling.

I think a lot of views on him may have looked no further than his hairstyle and dress sense, including those of much of our squad when he came in last season.
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 06:04 - Jul 14 with 4805 viewsjtuck

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 01:11 - Jul 14 by Boston

I live in the US and sports journalism here is in deep trouble. NY Times sub-contracting their sports section to The Athletic is only one sign of this. LA Times has this week turned its sports pages into a so-called 'magazine' and will no longer have match reports or Box Scores. Main reason for the move is cost cutting.

Disney CEO Bob Iger has indicated he is open to selling off mega sports cable network ESPN. The network has already laid off a whole load of its top TV and radio presenters and personalities. The Bally chain of regional sports TV broadcasters which airs local team games in many areas is also in bad financial shape and in some regions ice hockey and baseball teams no longer have a local TV contract but put out their games straight to streaming.

We are all on both sides of the Atlantic now going to have to rely much more on the 'citizen journalists' who are unpaid and get to you via podcast and YouTube. Sometimes they're good, sometimes very bad. Thank your lucky stars the main 'content generator' on LFW is a professional journalist who knows what he is talking about.

LAranger

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 07:55 - Jul 14 with 4670 viewsNortholt_Rs

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 21:25 - Jul 13 by Northernr

Can the club hire Gab Sutton? We need somebody on the back room team who knows something about up and coming players etc. Sounds like he’d be ideal for us.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 08:17 - Jul 14 with 4617 viewsFDC

Like others I was amazed at that Gab Sutton fella's knowledge of QPR, first I've seen of him, very impressive

Re that Second Tier pod, I used to listen to it but dropped out of the habit. Listening to the start of this one, it does seem a bit nonsensical and they seem to contradict themselves a fair bit by qualifying everything with caveats to do with the club rather than the manager. I guess Second Tier is more light entertainment than serious analysis
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 08:30 - Jul 14 with 4576 viewsAntti_Heinola

Gaz's mic'd up is an interesting watch. Very different to the similar one with Beale last year. But love the last couple of lines on there from Gaz: 'Rushden! I did that once' - funny.

Bare bones.

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 08:39 - Jul 14 with 4537 viewskernowhoop

I enjoyed watching the rapid short passing routine. Can we have some of that in matches, please?
Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 08:44 - Jul 14 with 4524 viewsHoopsie

Gab Sutton - the EFL Debate, Clive and Charlie were in the recent one on QPR

He has a lot of respect for Ainsworth, hasn’t he?

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 09:01 - Jul 14 with 4466 viewsngbqpr

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 01:17 - Jul 14 by Northernr

I have to say, Jack apart, I find the Athletic over here mostly very poor and have unsubscribed (and if I'm not the audience for long form written football journalism in the UK who is?). A ridiculously high proportion of their content is four lads who were Forest fans as boys because of Clough now going to work and having a wnk onto their keyboard everyday - 6,000 words on why Brennan Johnson is the Star Boy, by his dad and some cnt that saw him play U13s once. And you want my money for that? Nah.

I know what you mean Clive - and as someone who's been exiled in Nottingham for half my adult life, the Forest thing drives me nuts.

But...I think there's still just enough to merit the subscription. Very good Nick Powell feature today, for example.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 09:11 - Jul 14 with 4417 viewsMrSheen

Ainsworth ranked last on The Second Tier Podcast. on 06:04 - Jul 14 by jtuck

I live in the US and sports journalism here is in deep trouble. NY Times sub-contracting their sports section to The Athletic is only one sign of this. LA Times has this week turned its sports pages into a so-called 'magazine' and will no longer have match reports or Box Scores. Main reason for the move is cost cutting.

Disney CEO Bob Iger has indicated he is open to selling off mega sports cable network ESPN. The network has already laid off a whole load of its top TV and radio presenters and personalities. The Bally chain of regional sports TV broadcasters which airs local team games in many areas is also in bad financial shape and in some regions ice hockey and baseball teams no longer have a local TV contract but put out their games straight to streaming.

We are all on both sides of the Atlantic now going to have to rely much more on the 'citizen journalists' who are unpaid and get to you via podcast and YouTube. Sometimes they're good, sometimes very bad. Thank your lucky stars the main 'content generator' on LFW is a professional journalist who knows what he is talking about.

I'm not a subscriber to either the New York Times or The Athletic, but I found the statements really dispiriting..."We're not going to cover local teams in the same dept, but The Atlantic will give you all you need to know about the English Premier League while the paper will cover the "business of sport". Reminded me of when the Evening Standard scrapped coverage of London sides outside the Premier League to make room for Tony Jones writing about the Greatest Club In The World (TM). The future of sports media, if you don't have a Netflix documentary, you don't exist.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024