Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dog owners. 21:36 - Sep 11 with 22833 viewsqpr_1968

what is your view on this latest attack on 3 people.

not a dog owner myself....

but this seems pretty bad.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Dog owners. on 18:00 - Sep 12 with 1752 viewsMonkey_Roots

It's truly awful to see that kind of video, and once you see that, it's easy to come to the conclusion that something that strong and capable and dangerous should be banned. But it really is mostly the way in which they are raised – yes, certain dogs have been bred irresponsibly by idiots, but I think most dogs that have been trained and raised from puppies to be with people and children and other pets are probably fine – don't get me wrong, I would never leave a small child alone with any dog.

Individual breeds have different dispositions – some have that prey instinct to chase anything that moves, or they are stand offish to strangers because they are looking after a family (not the other way around), they are all different, but experienced, responsible owners do the right thing and act accordingly. You know your dog, if it's a bit of a nightmare, you muzzle it.

I look after an old boy in Iver, and he lives down a bit of a country lane with a dead end - lots of dog walkers. One couple in particular have 7 XL Bully dogs - all muscle-bound, clipped ears the lot - they look terrifying and scare the crap out of me. I don't know why you'd need 7, but that's up to them I suppose - I have a problem with it because they split them between them to walk them, and the woman is slight and has no way of controlling 1 of those dogs were it to bolt, let alone 3. There's also a Cane Corso 2 doors down, which is beautiful, but again, it's just too big for me to be comfortable around.

Dogs that strong and powerful worry me, I worry for my children around them. Its just all too unpredictable I think - maybe not ban them, but definitely muzzle them - sorry Punter :(
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 18:01]
Dog owners. on 18:00 - Sep 12 with 1749 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Not a dog owner, but will be once the kids guinea pigs leave for guinea heaven. I think I'll probably get a retired greyhound.

With regards to XL. Its bred to fight and kill, nothing more, and these attacks are a result of that breeding. Should be banned.
Dog owners. on 18:01 - Sep 12 with 1745 viewsLblock

Dog owners. on 17:17 - Sep 12 by Ranger_Things

To get a proper view you need to look behind the numbers. Most of the deaths are caused by child neglect and many others by pure stupidity. Random attacks causing death are extremely rare. The dogs involved over the years are mainly powerful breeds but move with fashion. GSD, Rotties, Pitbulls, Staffy X and now the Bully XL.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_Kingdom

From the figures you can see the Pitbull ban didn’t work as they just got rebranded Staffy X, American Bulldog X and now Am Bullies. The XL is basically a bigger version. It’s a Pitbull/American Bulldog type crossed with mastiff types to breed a larger dog. Also there is no scientific way of proving the dogs breed as it is a human construct based on looks and opinion. By description an XL could be any one of a dozen large breeds making a ban unworkable but even they did another breed would come into fashion and the deaths would continue. It really is the owners not the dogs.
If our Government were serious about tackling sh1tty owners and dangerous dogs, and I wish they would be, they’d introduce mandatory dog licenses, and properly fund councils, rehoming centres, dog wardens to crack down on out of control dogs and bad behaviour. I doubt it make a difference to the death statistics but I reckon it would cut the numbers of dog bites and dog on dog deaths. Not to mention the mountains of dog sh1t covering our parks and pavements.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 17:54]

Holy shoite!

The world order has gone mad!!!!

A post of yours I agree with
Word for bloody word

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Dog owners. on 18:06 - Sep 12 with 1728 viewsMonkey_Roots

Slight tangent...

There is a story that Gerald McClellan used to go and get rescue dogs, tape up their jaws and let his fighting dogs practice tearing them up.

An extreme example of 'that' kind of owner, but most of the time it just comes down to not being experienced enough, responsible enough or caring enough for your animal. Maybe its the owner that needs banning?
Dog owners. on 18:13 - Sep 12 with 1705 viewsHayesender

Dog owners. on 18:06 - Sep 12 by Monkey_Roots

Slight tangent...

There is a story that Gerald McClellan used to go and get rescue dogs, tape up their jaws and let his fighting dogs practice tearing them up.

An extreme example of 'that' kind of owner, but most of the time it just comes down to not being experienced enough, responsible enough or caring enough for your animal. Maybe its the owner that needs banning?

From an article in the Guardian.

And I said to Gerald, "Hey, Gerald, this Labrador wouldn't beat Deuce, no way, so why did you tape his mouth shut?" And he said, "Coz I just wanna see how fast my dog would kill him, for one, and, for two, my dog's a championship fighter and you don't need no dog scratched up and bit up by no dog, by no accident

How's that Karma treating him I wonder 🤔

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Dog owners. on 18:19 - Sep 12 with 1688 viewsRanger_Things

Dog owners. on 18:01 - Sep 12 by Lblock

Holy shoite!

The world order has gone mad!!!!

A post of yours I agree with
Word for bloody word

Rangers, dogs, music. We’d get on just fine over a beer.
Dog owners. on 18:24 - Sep 12 with 1679 viewsG_Ottershaw

Dog owners. on 18:06 - Sep 12 by Monkey_Roots

Slight tangent...

if true, karma me thinks...?

people should be made to get a licence! it's not just about what any breed is capable of, some owners are not capable of looking after themselves, let alone an animal

might be one for the change.org if it's not already on there?
Dog owners. on 18:36 - Sep 12 with 1654 viewsPunteR

Dog owners. on 18:00 - Sep 12 by Monkey_Roots

It's truly awful to see that kind of video, and once you see that, it's easy to come to the conclusion that something that strong and capable and dangerous should be banned. But it really is mostly the way in which they are raised – yes, certain dogs have been bred irresponsibly by idiots, but I think most dogs that have been trained and raised from puppies to be with people and children and other pets are probably fine – don't get me wrong, I would never leave a small child alone with any dog.

Individual breeds have different dispositions – some have that prey instinct to chase anything that moves, or they are stand offish to strangers because they are looking after a family (not the other way around), they are all different, but experienced, responsible owners do the right thing and act accordingly. You know your dog, if it's a bit of a nightmare, you muzzle it.

I look after an old boy in Iver, and he lives down a bit of a country lane with a dead end - lots of dog walkers. One couple in particular have 7 XL Bully dogs - all muscle-bound, clipped ears the lot - they look terrifying and scare the crap out of me. I don't know why you'd need 7, but that's up to them I suppose - I have a problem with it because they split them between them to walk them, and the woman is slight and has no way of controlling 1 of those dogs were it to bolt, let alone 3. There's also a Cane Corso 2 doors down, which is beautiful, but again, it's just too big for me to be comfortable around.

Dogs that strong and powerful worry me, I worry for my children around them. Its just all too unpredictable I think - maybe not ban them, but definitely muzzle them - sorry Punter :(
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 18:01]

No need to apologise mate.

Just for the record Murphy my XL is 38 kg , hasn't got his ears clipped and is our lovable family dog. Lottie our pocket bully is half the size (obviously) and she doesn't have her ears clipped either. She was rescued from a breeder (of all people ) who didn't want her as she was the runt of the litter, had a hernia but also didn't get on with the other females in the pack.
She absolutely adores people but doesn't get on with other dogs (apart from Murphy) Not sure why as I didn't have her from birth but it's something we monitor closely and manage..
Poor temperament and behaviour in dogs is an individual thing rather than a breed thing. Obviously they have common characteristics within the breed .
Murphy is 3 years old ,Lottie is 2. I'll admit I'm still learning and both dogs need constant training and correction.
We work hard to give them a good life.
Then I read on here fellow dog owners posting petitions to get them banned.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Dog owners. on 18:42 - Sep 12 with 1648 viewsPunteR

Dog owners. on 18:00 - Sep 12 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Not a dog owner, but will be once the kids guinea pigs leave for guinea heaven. I think I'll probably get a retired greyhound.

With regards to XL. Its bred to fight and kill, nothing more, and these attacks are a result of that breeding. Should be banned.

They're not bred to fight and kill. That's been bred out of them.

Dog owners. on 18:47 - Sep 12 with 1631 viewsdaveB

Ban them always seems the easy headline grabbing option. I know nothing about dogs, always been terrified of them since watching Moonraker as a kid and beardy villian set the dogs on the Woman after Bond had just given her one, plus doing a paper round and regularly getting chased down the road (By dogs not women James Bond had shagged, I'd have been alright with that)

Anyway reading this thread I find it mad that there is no regulation to owning a dog, feels like you should need some sort of checking that you can look after the dog before you buy one or 7.
Dog owners. on 18:53 - Sep 12 with 1625 viewsLimehouseR

Just my opinion and not a dig at anyone on here at all. I, like many of you, know at least several dog owners, the ones all of which I know are responsible and animal loving people.

I was a postman for 6-7 years in Shepherds Bush and the one thing that I ever got anxious about was dogs on their territory with owners either unable to control them or unwilling. Got bitten 3 times and although not bad ones I was lucky I was quick off the mark and able to slam a gate shut or jump over a fence.

Personally I see animals as individuals in their own right and although I accept there is a long standing bond and relationship between humans and dogs I just can't accept in my mind that people should 'own' one. That is not to say you can't have one as part of your life and get the joy and pleasure from their company as they no doubt get from yours. Most dogs are much more decent than a large number of humans (and a lot more intelligent too). My partner's sister had problems with anxiety and depression and her dog is almost a complete cure for that.

I do appreciate dogs and I do like friendly dogs who say hello if they sense you want to reciprocate but I must say there are far too many 'owners' who let their dog jump up on unwilling people or pester people trying to otherwise go about their day who clearly didn't want an introduction. That's when you get problems with fear and anxiety for some who have had bad experiences or just aren't predisposed to having that interaction, especially when it comes to certain breeds. Unfortunately there is an element of ignorance but also inbuilt survival instinct in the human brain. I think that this attitude of some owners comes hand in hand with that sense of entitlement and or carelessness for other people around them. And some people get a dog for all the wrong reasons as stated on this thread e.g. fashion or status and are totally selfish when it comes to actually taking responsibility or actual basic care.

Anyway I am not including genuine dog lovers in my rant and I hope, for example, PunteR, you don't get any negative backlash just based on the breed of your companion. Sadly though that is how it goes these days for our society.
Dog owners. on 19:53 - Sep 12 with 1553 viewsLazyFan

I find it strange that some people say it's a few bad owners are the problem, not the dogs. But if the owners are the problem, then it is the dogs as they "owned dogs" by those humans. What they are trying to say is don't ban a whole breed due to a few bad humans.

We do know that even the best owners are never fully in control of the dogs. The reason we know this is, that no one yet, speaks dog this is because there is no such thing. Dog cannot speak it as it does not exist.

Therefore it comes down to this, can this type of dog (regardless of breed) kill or ABH a human being for whatever reason (bad owner, situation, lack of dog speak, who the feck knows)? If the answer is yes then unfortunately really we should not be taking such risks, especially in places with large numbers of humans.

How can we identify these dogs or that they may be of high risk to reduce the risk? One way is better education, enforcement of high-quality training standards through the law and regular checks, all paid for by dog owners. Another is to target the breeds that can cause the most damage to humans (and even other dogs, and animals) even if they hardly ever do that damage compared to other breeds like labs which can be nasty but very early fatal.

To reduce the risk to humans, I would do both. Dogs should be for the rich and wealthy, as people still accept that some should people be rich and wealthy over others. Why should the non-rich people have certain types of dogs when they don't have the resources to look after them or compensate families if the worst should happen, yet keep voting for the rich to be in control? Its a capital idea yes?

zzzzzzzzzz

Dog owners. on 20:28 - Sep 12 with 1520 viewsNorthernr

Dog owners. on 18:53 - Sep 12 by LimehouseR

Just my opinion and not a dig at anyone on here at all. I, like many of you, know at least several dog owners, the ones all of which I know are responsible and animal loving people.

I was a postman for 6-7 years in Shepherds Bush and the one thing that I ever got anxious about was dogs on their territory with owners either unable to control them or unwilling. Got bitten 3 times and although not bad ones I was lucky I was quick off the mark and able to slam a gate shut or jump over a fence.

Personally I see animals as individuals in their own right and although I accept there is a long standing bond and relationship between humans and dogs I just can't accept in my mind that people should 'own' one. That is not to say you can't have one as part of your life and get the joy and pleasure from their company as they no doubt get from yours. Most dogs are much more decent than a large number of humans (and a lot more intelligent too). My partner's sister had problems with anxiety and depression and her dog is almost a complete cure for that.

I do appreciate dogs and I do like friendly dogs who say hello if they sense you want to reciprocate but I must say there are far too many 'owners' who let their dog jump up on unwilling people or pester people trying to otherwise go about their day who clearly didn't want an introduction. That's when you get problems with fear and anxiety for some who have had bad experiences or just aren't predisposed to having that interaction, especially when it comes to certain breeds. Unfortunately there is an element of ignorance but also inbuilt survival instinct in the human brain. I think that this attitude of some owners comes hand in hand with that sense of entitlement and or carelessness for other people around them. And some people get a dog for all the wrong reasons as stated on this thread e.g. fashion or status and are totally selfish when it comes to actually taking responsibility or actual basic care.

Anyway I am not including genuine dog lovers in my rant and I hope, for example, PunteR, you don't get any negative backlash just based on the breed of your companion. Sadly though that is how it goes these days for our society.

It's a good post mate, as you would expect given your profession.

I'm a bit wary of the bigger ones after a bad experience as a kid. What I find now is if I'm out running or whatever there will often be one bounding up, jumping up, usually 9/10 just playing and it's fine, a bit of an inconvenience and not what I need when I'm sweating buckets 6 miles in but ok first world problems. But sometimes you get a boisterous one, maybe I've upset it somehow, and it's sort of bouncing, trying to bite your arm, bite your ankle, and the owner's trotting over gradually going "oh he's alright, oh don't worry about him, hahaha, come on Rover down boy, oh he's a lovely boy really, he's just a bit excited." And I am... not enjoying this.

But suggesting to people maybe their dog should be on a lead, or muzzled, is basically like slagging off their kid, because people are so attached to them. They cannot understand why I wouldn't be as absolutely delighted as they are at some physical attention from their mutt.

I can't watch the video earlier on this thread. Fcking terrifying.
Dog owners. on 20:50 - Sep 12 with 1474 viewsLblock

Dog owners. on 20:28 - Sep 12 by Northernr

It's a good post mate, as you would expect given your profession.

I'm a bit wary of the bigger ones after a bad experience as a kid. What I find now is if I'm out running or whatever there will often be one bounding up, jumping up, usually 9/10 just playing and it's fine, a bit of an inconvenience and not what I need when I'm sweating buckets 6 miles in but ok first world problems. But sometimes you get a boisterous one, maybe I've upset it somehow, and it's sort of bouncing, trying to bite your arm, bite your ankle, and the owner's trotting over gradually going "oh he's alright, oh don't worry about him, hahaha, come on Rover down boy, oh he's a lovely boy really, he's just a bit excited." And I am... not enjoying this.

But suggesting to people maybe their dog should be on a lead, or muzzled, is basically like slagging off their kid, because people are so attached to them. They cannot understand why I wouldn't be as absolutely delighted as they are at some physical attention from their mutt.

I can't watch the video earlier on this thread. Fcking terrifying.

Plenty of kids that need muzzling or worse!

Dog owners. on 21:01 - Sep 12 with 1468 viewsjohncharles

Dog owners. on 14:33 - Sep 12 by Hayesender

I remember reading a few years ago about this stat regarding labs, and can well believe it.

I had a lab years ago, and although he was a big bundle of joy most of the time, he did have a streak in him, and he would switch in a second for no apparent reason.

Now, we got him over a year old off of a drug addict who wanted some drug money, so of course we didn't know his history and how he was brought up.

My dog now is a staff. First time I've ever had a bull breed, and I've gotta say, he is the most loving dog I've ever had. Can be a bit offish with other dogs, but only if he feels threatened by them, but this is where you as the owner should be responsible and take them away from what could be a situation.

Back to the XL types, I wouldn't fancy trying to drag a snarling 9 stone dog away from anything tbh. May as well have a lion on a lead

Stupidly I down arrowed when I agree with the whole post. The breed of dog is not as important as the individual dog’s character. I was brought up with Border Collies and though they are great dogs we had some right buggers who were NOT friendly.
p.s. The last time I was bitten was by a Golden Retriever.

Strong and stable my arse.

Dog owners. on 21:33 - Sep 12 with 1436 viewsChrisNW6

Dog owners. on 18:42 - Sep 12 by PunteR

They're not bred to fight and kill. That's been bred out of them.

Sorry PunteR that would take many generations of well organised breeding. The XL has only been around since the 80s by cross breeding American Bull dogs and Pitbull Terriers. Then chuck in some Cane Corso, Mastiff, American Staffie plus some further genetic modification of sperm/eggs in the test tube and you get the desired muscle dog.

You sound like a real dog lover and I am sure Murphy is well socialised and trained. This must be an incredibly stressful time and your happiness is being ruined by a high number of inexperienced owners not capable of controlling or training such a complex animal.
Dog owners. on 22:03 - Sep 12 with 1388 viewsRanger_Things

Dog owners. on 18:36 - Sep 12 by PunteR

No need to apologise mate.

Just for the record Murphy my XL is 38 kg , hasn't got his ears clipped and is our lovable family dog. Lottie our pocket bully is half the size (obviously) and she doesn't have her ears clipped either. She was rescued from a breeder (of all people ) who didn't want her as she was the runt of the litter, had a hernia but also didn't get on with the other females in the pack.
She absolutely adores people but doesn't get on with other dogs (apart from Murphy) Not sure why as I didn't have her from birth but it's something we monitor closely and manage..
Poor temperament and behaviour in dogs is an individual thing rather than a breed thing. Obviously they have common characteristics within the breed .
Murphy is 3 years old ,Lottie is 2. I'll admit I'm still learning and both dogs need constant training and correction.
We work hard to give them a good life.
Then I read on here fellow dog owners posting petitions to get them banned.

Sadly you have to expect to experience prejudice if you own a bull breed and it’ll seem completely uncalled for. It used to either p1ss me off or make me laugh depending on how ridiculous their response until I spoke to a bloke who practically climbed a wall to get out of our way. He told me he was bitten as a kid and was left with a phobia of dogs. He wasn’t kidding either, his voice was shaking and he went white as sheet. Probably stupid of me but growing up we got chased a lot and bitten a few times too. GSD’s or Alsatians as they were known at the time were usually the culprits and they used run free all day, but possibly because I liked dogs or grew up with them it didn’t affect me in the same way as this dude. Anyway, now I treat everyone as if they were that bloke even though it’s more likely their views actually formed by Fleet St, and I give them plenty of room and give way if necessary when we walk. There is a corny but true saying by bully owners that we and our dogs should all try to be ‘ambassadors for the breed’. Our dogs have to be much better behaved than other dogs and risk assessment must become a way of life. You literally have to make a show of having your dog walking close, under control on lead. Little dogs can get away with barking and people don’t seem to mind spaniels jumping up but we can’t ever let our dogs even run up to greet a stranger, even in a dog friendly area. Since that day I have always made sure nobody has an excuse to say a single bad word about any of our dogs. They have always been properly trained and socialised but we now also go out of our way to be sympathetic to others. Our current dog is a 60 kilo brindle bullmastiff and sometimes people cross the road when they see us but more have met him and told us he was lovely and not the scary beast they imagined, and I take that as a small win.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 22:20]
Dog owners. on 22:21 - Sep 12 with 1353 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Such misunderstood dogs…..yeah right

Recorded dog attacks in 2023 so far..

https://i0.wp.com/bullywatch.link/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/image-8.png?w=2048&
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 22:22]
Dog owners. on 22:40 - Sep 12 with 1308 viewsRanger_Things

Dog owners. on 22:21 - Sep 12 by Beckenhamhoop

https://i0.wp.com/bullywatch.link/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/image-8.png?w=2048&

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/11/banning-some-dog-breeds-in-the-u
Dog owners. on 22:51 - Sep 12 with 1299 viewsPunteR

Dog owners. on 21:33 - Sep 12 by ChrisNW6

Sorry PunteR that would take many generations of well organised breeding. The XL has only been around since the 80s by cross breeding American Bull dogs and Pitbull Terriers. Then chuck in some Cane Corso, Mastiff, American Staffie plus some further genetic modification of sperm/eggs in the test tube and you get the desired muscle dog.

You sound like a real dog lover and I am sure Murphy is well socialised and trained. This must be an incredibly stressful time and your happiness is being ruined by a high number of inexperienced owners not capable of controlling or training such a complex animal.

My point is its not been bred to fight and kill. Its been bred for it size and looks like most dogs these days. Yes Bull breeds have in their past been bred for fighting.
All of those breeds you mention are perfectly good dogs in their own right if trained properly.
Look , im not gonna pretend im the Dog Whisperer and an expert on the breed but i know more about the XL than probably most on here. I know my responsibility to keep my dogs and family and friends and neighbours around me comfortable with a big dog with a reputation.
I talk with other dog owners and the general consonance is that smaller dog owners are probably the most irresponsible dog owners , as they arguably can get away with it. But that dog will still exhibit aggressive tendency's , poor manners, lack of discipline.
We've had these news stories in the past as far back as i can remember. The Rottweiler was public enemy number 1 for a while, then the Staffys.
Its media hype thats behind this.
When you have cars killing 1.3 million people a year around the world , do you ban cars..? No of course not, but you put in regulations , training, a means of ownership of responsibility, insurances. I'm happy with all that and will comply.
Banning is not the answer imo.
Also just to add that some so called road men, or gangsta wannabies or grey jogging bottom wannabe drug dealers actually are responsible dog owners. Of course they are.
Lots of snobbery , misinformation , ignorance thats being aimed at a certain demographic and lumping a perfectly good dog with that image.
Anyway, yes its touched a nerve and every time i walk my dogs now i just know im gonna get judged.

Dog owners. on 22:54 - Sep 12 with 1295 viewsPunteR

Dog owners. on 22:21 - Sep 12 by Beckenhamhoop

Reported dog attacks.

My point being, your not going to report Flossie the Cockapoo for grabbing and biting your feet. but its still exhibiting aggressive tendencies. You obviously cant get away with that with a Bully. Doesnt mean the dog is a killing machine. Just needs better training. Same as Flossie.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 23:07]

Dog owners. on 23:25 - Sep 12 with 1261 viewsLblock

Dog owners. on 19:53 - Sep 12 by LazyFan

I find it strange that some people say it's a few bad owners are the problem, not the dogs. But if the owners are the problem, then it is the dogs as they "owned dogs" by those humans. What they are trying to say is don't ban a whole breed due to a few bad humans.

We do know that even the best owners are never fully in control of the dogs. The reason we know this is, that no one yet, speaks dog this is because there is no such thing. Dog cannot speak it as it does not exist.

Therefore it comes down to this, can this type of dog (regardless of breed) kill or ABH a human being for whatever reason (bad owner, situation, lack of dog speak, who the feck knows)? If the answer is yes then unfortunately really we should not be taking such risks, especially in places with large numbers of humans.

How can we identify these dogs or that they may be of high risk to reduce the risk? One way is better education, enforcement of high-quality training standards through the law and regular checks, all paid for by dog owners. Another is to target the breeds that can cause the most damage to humans (and even other dogs, and animals) even if they hardly ever do that damage compared to other breeds like labs which can be nasty but very early fatal.

To reduce the risk to humans, I would do both. Dogs should be for the rich and wealthy, as people still accept that some should people be rich and wealthy over others. Why should the non-rich people have certain types of dogs when they don't have the resources to look after them or compensate families if the worst should happen, yet keep voting for the rich to be in control? Its a capital idea yes?

This has to be some sort of wind up?

Either that or you’ve taken too much Spice or Monkey Dust

Dog owners. on 23:40 - Sep 12 with 1243 viewsLblock

Dog owners. on 21:01 - Sep 12 by johncharles

Stupidly I down arrowed when I agree with the whole post. The breed of dog is not as important as the individual dog’s character. I was brought up with Border Collies and though they are great dogs we had some right buggers who were NOT friendly.
p.s. The last time I was bitten was by a Golden Retriever.

Exactly this

The single most vicious, unpredictable, aggressive and mental dog I’ve ever met in my life was my Nans little Jack Russell. He was only scared of one thing and that was my Nan but he’d still have a go at her now and then…..to his cost!!!
Lots of the time he was lovely but he’d flip out quite easily; especially around food

Looking back as a kid he taught me lots about dogs and made me a bit wary but also taught me to be assertive as well

What is heartbreaking is knowing, everytime these stories become “vogue” for a week, the effect it’ll have on decent family pets.
My sister in law will be swamped with rehoming requests for decent family pets that are bull breeds just because of people being spooked or out of worry, embarrassment etc etc
She specialises in bull breed rescue and she’ll see innocent dogs now having to leave a settled family home and lose all balance and routine thereby sometimes causing issues that weren’t there

Funny how it can mirror some “human” issues….. we don’t see campaigns for these troubled kids or damaged adults to be PTS though do we?

I’ll say no more only to sign off that I’d take the company of my dogs over 95% of humans and I’d choose the company of good dog owners 100% ahead of those without the joy of four legs in yer life

Dog owners. on 06:46 - Sep 13 with 1165 viewsjoe90

We’re far too precious about dogs in this country and we need to stop indulging owners who pretend there’s an equivalence to having children or those who think it's just 'bad' owners. Which is a conveniently vague term, I doubt anyone thinks they're a 'bad' owner.

We can ban XL bully’s but the irresponsible owners will find another breed or will continue to own them illegally.

The right to own a dog for pleasure is secondary to the safety of people. We really do have a perverse relationship with dogs in this country.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2023 14:18]
Dog owners. on 06:54 - Sep 13 with 1157 viewsjoe90

Dog owners. on 22:51 - Sep 12 by PunteR

My point is its not been bred to fight and kill. Its been bred for it size and looks like most dogs these days. Yes Bull breeds have in their past been bred for fighting.
All of those breeds you mention are perfectly good dogs in their own right if trained properly.
Look , im not gonna pretend im the Dog Whisperer and an expert on the breed but i know more about the XL than probably most on here. I know my responsibility to keep my dogs and family and friends and neighbours around me comfortable with a big dog with a reputation.
I talk with other dog owners and the general consonance is that smaller dog owners are probably the most irresponsible dog owners , as they arguably can get away with it. But that dog will still exhibit aggressive tendency's , poor manners, lack of discipline.
We've had these news stories in the past as far back as i can remember. The Rottweiler was public enemy number 1 for a while, then the Staffys.
Its media hype thats behind this.
When you have cars killing 1.3 million people a year around the world , do you ban cars..? No of course not, but you put in regulations , training, a means of ownership of responsibility, insurances. I'm happy with all that and will comply.
Banning is not the answer imo.
Also just to add that some so called road men, or gangsta wannabies or grey jogging bottom wannabe drug dealers actually are responsible dog owners. Of course they are.
Lots of snobbery , misinformation , ignorance thats being aimed at a certain demographic and lumping a perfectly good dog with that image.
Anyway, yes its touched a nerve and every time i walk my dogs now i just know im gonna get judged.

Genuine question. What do you get out owning one of these dogs? From reading your posts it sounds like massive ball ache. Why not get a more manageable bread?

I’m not saying this is you, but I get the impression some people revel in the negative attention it brings. Is not obvious why the average person views them with suspicion?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024