Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric bikes (non QPR) 20:53 - Oct 6 with 5533 viewsGloryHunter

Anybody got one? Any recommendations?
(I'm on tour in France, and every second bike that overtakes me seems to be electrically assisted. Maybe it's time to accept the inevitable and buy one.)
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 14:06 - Oct 10 with 1438 viewsJuzzie

Don't use after-market chargers on any e-bike. Apparently these are the main causes of fires as they overload the battery.
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 21:03 - Oct 10 with 1359 viewsGloryHunter

Thanks for all contributions to the thread. The two things that most interest me in my search for an electric bike are (a) range, and (b) weight. And strangely enough, neither of these seem to figure prominently in the manufacturers' publicity.

I want a bike that weighs 20kg max, so that I can lift it onto my motorhome's bike rack. And I want one that does 40 kilometres before running out of juice. Otherwise it seems like I might be left with a rather heavy chunk of push-bike with a flat battery that I have to pedal home.
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 21:56 - Oct 10 with 1339 viewsdigswellhoop

THEY ARE ILLEGAL IN THIS COUNTRY
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 22:07 - Oct 10 with 1333 viewsBlackCrowe

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 21:03 - Oct 10 by GloryHunter

Thanks for all contributions to the thread. The two things that most interest me in my search for an electric bike are (a) range, and (b) weight. And strangely enough, neither of these seem to figure prominently in the manufacturers' publicity.

I want a bike that weighs 20kg max, so that I can lift it onto my motorhome's bike rack. And I want one that does 40 kilometres before running out of juice. Otherwise it seems like I might be left with a rather heavy chunk of push-bike with a flat battery that I have to pedal home.

I think my bike is pretty heavy and that's 21kg, but it claims a 60 mile ride on a single fully charge which feels about right. There are lighter models with built in batteries and/or single speed.

I nearly went for a Cowboy 4 which has the good looks in abundance and is light, but is single gear and i wanted something that i could work out a bit on and had more control. Also it has a built in battery so have to bring it inside to charge. Cowboy 4 is really a fun A to B commuter bike imo but not more than that.

I made the right choice i reckon for my needs, it's an absolute joy to ride, but it's pretty weighty.

Ps. I'm a bit OCD on brand loyalty...owned Saabs all my driving life until i couldn't get the parts any more and it's the same with Marin bikes, so that clouds my judgement a bit.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2023 22:14]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 23:14 - Oct 10 with 1287 viewsAkindweevil

As you are in France atm then...

https://moustachebikes.com/gb/en/

My wife and I both have one and they have positively transformed our lives and the range of pubs we can reach! (There is a direct correlation!)
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 01:38 - Oct 11 with 1260 viewsLblock

Four wheels good, two wheels bad.

Al cyclists should have to be registered, insured, licensed and forced to comply with the road laws of the land. Most, not all, are an absolute menace and cause more issues than most car drivers; these souped up electric jobs even worse.

Dont get me started on the scooters and Lime Bike clicker chavs

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 10:05 - Oct 11 with 1199 viewsJuzzie

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 21:56 - Oct 10 by digswellhoop

THEY ARE ILLEGAL IN THIS COUNTRY

Only if above a 250w motor and exceed 15mph unassisted by the rider.

Plenty are legal (even if ridden by tw@ts) but loads aren't and that's the problem.
It took 5 seconds to find a 720w one on Amazon.

https://amzn.eu/d/4evMlji

There's no mention at all that I can see of it's unassisted top speed and there's one line that says "Warning:Only for domestic use" so not sure if that's some kind of 'off road use only' type of disclaimer sellers use to get around the law.

[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 10:23]
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 10:28 - Oct 11 with 1176 viewsstevec

If you get one, don’t park it at the airport.
Login to get fewer ads

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 11:02 - Oct 11 with 1131 viewsSonofpugwash

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 10:28 - Oct 11 by stevec

If you get one, don’t park it at the airport.

Trying to blame a diesel engined vehicle.I've never seen a diesel let go like that in over 30 years of working on cars.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 11:47 - Oct 11 with 1098 viewskensalriser

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 01:38 - Oct 11 by Lblock

Four wheels good, two wheels bad.

Al cyclists should have to be registered, insured, licensed and forced to comply with the road laws of the land. Most, not all, are an absolute menace and cause more issues than most car drivers; these souped up electric jobs even worse.

Dont get me started on the scooters and Lime Bike clicker chavs

You have actually fully become one of Harry Enfield's Old Gits.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 12:05 - Oct 11 with 1081 viewsstevec

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 11:02 - Oct 11 by Sonofpugwash

Trying to blame a diesel engined vehicle.I've never seen a diesel let go like that in over 30 years of working on cars.

Even if it was a diesel, it should have been very manageable unless there was an EV parked next to it!
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 14:23 - Oct 11 with 1019 viewsLblock

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 11:47 - Oct 11 by kensalriser

You have actually fully become one of Harry Enfield's Old Gits.

Nerrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhh!

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 14:47 - Oct 11 with 986 viewsJimmyR

Trek.

Boardmans are half the price but built by ppl that work in Halfords'
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 14:54 - Oct 11 with 972 viewsJimmyR

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 09:56 - Oct 7 by Juzzie

At some point things like helmets, licences, insurance, reg numbers, VED etc then has to come into play.

Yeah yeah bruv all those things will 100% be necessary when the bikes weigh two tons, do 150mph, take half a mile to stop and kill hundreds of ppl every year

They were asking recommendations about electric bikes because they are thinking of getting one. Not your opinion on them! But thanks all the same for sharing Karen
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 16:20 - Oct 11 with 902 viewsJuzzie

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 14:54 - Oct 11 by JimmyR

Yeah yeah bruv all those things will 100% be necessary when the bikes weigh two tons, do 150mph, take half a mile to stop and kill hundreds of ppl every year

They were asking recommendations about electric bikes because they are thinking of getting one. Not your opinion on them! But thanks all the same for sharing Karen

Two words, and the seconds one is off.

Condescending !@£$@£$
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 22:00 - Oct 11 with 807 viewsGloryHunter

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 22:07 - Oct 10 by BlackCrowe

I think my bike is pretty heavy and that's 21kg, but it claims a 60 mile ride on a single fully charge which feels about right. There are lighter models with built in batteries and/or single speed.

I nearly went for a Cowboy 4 which has the good looks in abundance and is light, but is single gear and i wanted something that i could work out a bit on and had more control. Also it has a built in battery so have to bring it inside to charge. Cowboy 4 is really a fun A to B commuter bike imo but not more than that.

I made the right choice i reckon for my needs, it's an absolute joy to ride, but it's pretty weighty.

Ps. I'm a bit OCD on brand loyalty...owned Saabs all my driving life until i couldn't get the parts any more and it's the same with Marin bikes, so that clouds my judgement a bit.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2023 22:14]

Which bike have you got, then?
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 22:09 - Oct 11 with 804 viewscpgerber

We have 3 in the household, but cycling and e-bikes are huge over here in NL. Kids cycle 20km a day to school and back and in winter especially, an e-bike helps a lot! And then at night football training is 6km from home for my son and the lights on an e-bike is a must have

We have the very first Vanmoof S1 from 2018 and it still runs fine. But the company went bust after the later S3 especially proved to be a disaster.

Earlier this year we got the Veloretti Ace 2 and Ivy 2 with Enviolo automatic gear shifters. An absolute joy to ride those things! My wife works at Enviolo, so I know a bit about the e-bike market.

Whatever you get, get a bike with an Enviolo automatic shifter. Its a class apart from everything else out there.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 22:11]
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 22:31 - Oct 11 with 793 viewsGloryHunter

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 22:09 - Oct 11 by cpgerber

We have 3 in the household, but cycling and e-bikes are huge over here in NL. Kids cycle 20km a day to school and back and in winter especially, an e-bike helps a lot! And then at night football training is 6km from home for my son and the lights on an e-bike is a must have

We have the very first Vanmoof S1 from 2018 and it still runs fine. But the company went bust after the later S3 especially proved to be a disaster.

Earlier this year we got the Veloretti Ace 2 and Ivy 2 with Enviolo automatic gear shifters. An absolute joy to ride those things! My wife works at Enviolo, so I know a bit about the e-bike market.

Whatever you get, get a bike with an Enviolo automatic shifter. Its a class apart from everything else out there.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 22:11]

Where is NL?
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 22:36 - Oct 11 with 790 viewsChrisNW6

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 22:31 - Oct 11 by GloryHunter

Where is NL?

Holland in old money 😁
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 23:35 - Oct 11 with 778 viewsLblock

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 22:31 - Oct 11 by GloryHunter

Where is NL?

North London innit

Home of the Woke Council to force the Climate lie down your throat

Or….. possibly Holland where many cities totally suited to urban and city cycling

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 10:23 - Oct 12 with 714 viewscpgerber

Yeah, NL = The Netherlands.

Sorry, I am used to using iso 2-letter country codes when shorthand typing. Been in the IT industry too long now, it seems.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024