Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A little tribute to my Dad 00:48 - Nov 19 with 10361 viewsNed_Kennedys

My Dad died yesterday: he was a wonderful father and was married to my Mum for over 57 years.
My family were blessed to have him for so long and he will be missed so much.
As with many of us on here my Dad helped fuel my love of QPR.

Dad went as a kid to see his local team in Bournemouth, and when he first moved to London he went to see Tottenham in the mid Sixties with his mates. They also managed to get tickets for most of England’s World Cup matches at Wembley: he married my Mum later that year. Football had to take a back seat over the next years as they started raising a family and money was tight.

Unfortunately for him his eldest boy decided at a very early age that QPR was his team: he took me to my first game in 1978 (0-0 v Leeds) and I was hooked. We went to a number of Rangers games over the next few years and bless him also a few Tottenham ones as well as I think he was hoping I could be swayed but it wasn’t going to happen!

We got our first season tickets in 1981 and over forty years later we still have them. Over the years I have spent periods living outside London and couldn’t make many games so my brother went with Dad who always phoned me on the way home with a full report of the game.

Over the last few years he went to fewer and fewer games due to struggling to walk distances but always renewed: he loved going to games with his sons.

However good or bad QPR have been over the decades they have provided us with so much precious family time together and amazing memories and I really will miss the days out and long QPR chats with my Dad.

None of you will know my Dad but a lot of you will recognise the QPR connection I think.

God bless you Dad and thank you.

[Post edited 20 Nov 2023 9:40]
A little tribute to my Dad on 10:24 - Nov 20 with 1006 viewsSouthAfricanRanger

Beautiful post Ned. Yes, we are QPR family. You dad will be looking down and proud of that post. And if we do the good things we learnt from those before us, they live on. Wishes nd blessings from Brisbane to you and the family.

DonnieR

A little tribute to my Dad on 10:28 - Nov 20 with 1005 viewsterryb

My sincere condolences Ned to yourself, family & friends.

A lovely tribute.
A little tribute to my Dad on 12:43 - Nov 20 with 937 viewsJuzzie

I see my dad, who is now 86, about three times a year as he lives miles away and he was in town this weekend so was able to meet up with him and he came to watch my son's football game yesterday, which my son scored a blinding left footed (he's right footed naturally) 'top-bins' goal in a 2-2 draw.

Really glad my Dad was able to finally see a game my son plays in and even better that he scored.

Each time I see my dad, I wonder if it's the last. He's in good health etc but at 86, you just never know.

So, when I hear of someone who has lost their Dad, my heart goes out to them, and their family.

RIP to your Dad, Ned. He will be missed.
A little tribute to my Dad on 23:25 - Nov 20 with 817 viewsHooping_Mad

My condolences to you and your family.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

A little tribute to my Dad on 23:34 - Nov 20 with 815 viewsdavman

Condolences, Ned - keep the memories; spend time each day thinking about him. Remind yourself and keep smiling - hard, but necessary.

RIP.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

A little tribute to my Dad on 23:55 - Nov 20 with 808 viewsloneranger1

Wonderful post, Ned - thank you for sharing such a lovely tribute on the forum.

All the best to you and yours at this difficult time, and may your dear dad rest in peace.
A little tribute to my Dad on 08:31 - Nov 21 with 771 viewsStevenageRanger

Lovely post Ned and sorry for your loss.
A little tribute to my Dad on 08:35 - Nov 21 with 769 viewsthehat

Hey Ned I've just caught up with this thread and a lovely tribute to your Dad.

I lost my Dad too in June this year very unexpectedly to a cardiac arrest. I was lucky we were really close and like you had QPR as a big part of our relationship. We had season tickets in the 70's and watched that great Dave Sexton team together which I can still remember even though I was only a young boy. Although he didn't go much in later years supporting Rangers continues to be handed on in or families with all his Grandchildren now QPR mad with season tickets something I know he was secretly very proud of.

The circle of life is a killer mate but the memories will always live on.

Take care pal.
Login to get fewer ads

A little tribute to my Dad on 17:02 - Nov 21 with 688 viewsScarecrow

Well done Ned for a loverley post on your dad.
Having lost my wife unexpectedely just over 3 years now, this crazy club & passion we have for it, somewhat provides a outlet for positive memories such as you make comment etc.
Keep strong and sincrere condolances for your loss.
A little tribute to my Dad on 17:22 - Nov 21 with 679 viewsBerkoRanger

When my Dad passed away, dementia meant he did not know who I was so the memory is still raw. So Ned, you and your family have my deepest condolences. for your loss.
A little tribute to my Dad on 21:50 - Nov 21 with 620 viewsnumptydumpty

A little tribute to my Dad on 17:22 - Nov 21 by BerkoRanger

When my Dad passed away, dementia meant he did not know who I was so the memory is still raw. So Ned, you and your family have my deepest condolences. for your loss.

Best wishes Berko.

Hard to remember the good times when the more difficult times were more recent and raw.

Two of my siblings I not seen or spoken to for many years and it meant that last days were quite painful all round when both my folks passed couple years ago.

I now remember all the great times. Dementia is a horrid disease and its hard not to take it as your dad but hope you yourself can get the great memories as more prominent than the tough ones as soon as.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024