Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Elections 07:41 - Nov 23 with 5472 viewsDr_Winston

The rise of Geert Wilders, Marine Le Pen and the AFD in Germany (not forgetting the Italians) should be of no surprise to anyone who has actually been paying attention over the last couple of decades.

Perhaps the single biggest reason I voted for Brexit (other than the democratic shortage at the heart of the EU Governing process) was my belief that the whole thing would come crashing down within a couple of decades and that we'd be better off out before that happened.

Seen little since to change my mind.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

European Elections on 08:47 - Nov 28 with 711 viewsKilkennyjack

European Elections on 09:11 - Nov 27 by felixstowe_jack

Post war peace in Europe has been due to NATO nothing to do with EU.

UK trade with the EU and the World has increased since we left. Do at least TRY to get your facts right.

Democracy lives in Europe even if you don't believe people are allowed to vote differently to you.

Well, well, well …..

Beware of the Risen People

European Elections on 08:57 - Nov 28 with 695 viewscontroversial_jack

European Elections on 08:32 - Nov 28 by felixstowe_jack

Why disband an organisation that has kept the peace in Europe since the last World War. If only the United Nations was as successful.

There have been countless conflicts since ww2, admittedly not so many in Europe, the Balkans aside, but NATO isn't just about Europe
European Elections on 10:29 - Nov 28 with 683 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

European Elections on 08:47 - Nov 28 by Kilkennyjack

Well, well, well …..

Perhaps his crystal ball is cracked. Or maybe he’s got a few cards missing from his tarot deck. Because the Bank of England and these other economy “experts” seem to be about as adept at predicting the future as Mystic Meg was. They are akin to these nutters who stand on street corners holding a sign that says “the end of the world is nigh”.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

European Elections on 13:19 - Nov 28 with 643 viewsKilkennyjack

European Elections on 10:29 - Nov 28 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Perhaps his crystal ball is cracked. Or maybe he’s got a few cards missing from his tarot deck. Because the Bank of England and these other economy “experts” seem to be about as adept at predicting the future as Mystic Meg was. They are akin to these nutters who stand on street corners holding a sign that says “the end of the world is nigh”.

Johnson had no plan for Brexit.

Yes I will take my chances with the experts, thanks.

Its sort of why, say …. surgeons are … well, you know …. experts.
Far more likely to be able to deliver successful operations than say Brian from down the pub who sneers at experts …

European Elections on 13:27 - Nov 28 with 642 viewsfelixstowe_jack

European Elections on 08:57 - Nov 28 by controversial_jack

There have been countless conflicts since ww2, admittedly not so many in Europe, the Balkans aside, but NATO isn't just about Europe

Yes the Balkans was a mishmash of disparate states as part of the Yugoslavian communist state held together by Tito. Once he died it was never going to work.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

European Elections on 13:29 - Nov 28 with 640 viewsfelixstowe_jack

European Elections on 08:47 - Nov 28 by Kilkennyjack

Well, well, well …..

The man who told us we were in recession a year ago, then he said we would enter a recession in the first part of this year. Not sure when he last got a forecast right.

European Elections on 13:38 - Nov 28 with 637 viewsonehunglow

We should not have left.
We did
We won’t get back
Live on

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

European Elections on 14:00 - Nov 28 with 631 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

European Elections on 13:19 - Nov 28 by Kilkennyjack

Far more likely to be able to deliver successful operations than say Brian from down the pub who sneers at experts …

A surgeon deals with the facts at the time. He or she does not perform a liver transplant based on a forecast that someone may need one in ten years time.

Predicting the future in any way is an absolute waste of time. Even meteorologists with all their satellites and weather stations and prediction models and their data very rarely get a simple weather forecast correct. And certainly not more than a few days.

Login to get fewer ads

European Elections on 17:53 - Nov 28 with 602 viewsSullutaCreturned

European Elections on 13:19 - Nov 28 by Kilkennyjack

Well surgeons have a guarateed set of circumstances, economists don't have it quite so easy.

Experts generally have trouble predicting the future, look at the weather, we have experts studying the situation but they can't guarantee anything beyond 24 hours.

Not all experts are equal.
European Elections on 19:37 - Nov 28 with 583 viewsFlashberryjack

European Elections on 17:53 - Nov 28 by SullutaCreturned

Well surgeons have a guarateed set of circumstances, economists don't have it quite so easy.

Experts generally have trouble predicting the future, look at the weather, we have experts studying the situation but they can't guarantee anything beyond 24 hours.

But they can predict what the weather will be in thirty years time.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

European Elections on 19:47 - Nov 28 with 580 viewsGwyn737

European Elections on 19:37 - Nov 28 by Flashberryjack

But they can predict what the weather will be in thirty years time.

Not weather; climate.
European Elections on 21:20 - Nov 28 with 563 viewsFlashberryjack

European Elections on 19:47 - Nov 28 by Gwyn737

Not weather; climate.

Same horse, different jockey.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

European Elections on 21:29 - Nov 28 with 555 viewsGwyn737

European Elections on 21:20 - Nov 28 by Flashberryjack

Same horse, different jockey.

No, they’re not.
European Elections on 23:47 - Nov 28 with 535 viewsBoundy

European Elections on 21:29 - Nov 28 by Gwyn737

No, they’re not.

I thought climate and weather only differed due time one is short term the other long

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

European Elections on 00:52 - Nov 29 with 530 viewsKilkennyjack

European Elections on 17:53 - Nov 28 by SullutaCreturned

Not really.

Every patient and condition is slightly different.
Therefore their years of training and proven expertise allows them to exercise judgement to ensure the best possible outcomes. They have the skilks needed. The tools needed.

Brian from down the pub just has a big gob and hates to acknowledge experts.
Brian is 57 and still lives with his mum.

European Elections on 07:03 - Nov 29 with 519 viewsGwyn737

European Elections on 23:47 - Nov 28 by Boundy

I thought climate and weather only differed due time one is short term the other long

Pretty much but it’s an important distinction.

Climate can also be used to describe conditions over a large area whereas weather in that context is more localised.
European Elections on 08:07 - Nov 29 with 514 viewsScotia

European Elections on 07:03 - Nov 29 by Gwyn737

Pretty much but it’s an important distinction.

Climate can also be used to describe conditions over a large area whereas weather in that context is more localised.

Yes Gwyn.

And another important distinction in the climate change discussion, and in very simple terms climate effects weather rather than vice versa. That's the problem.
European Elections on 09:45 - Nov 29 with 493 viewscontroversial_jack

European Elections on 19:47 - Nov 28 by Gwyn737

Not weather; climate.

No they can't predictions so far have been wildly inaccurate
[Post edited 29 Nov 2023 9:46]
European Elections on 10:01 - Nov 29 with 489 viewsScotia

European Elections on 09:45 - Nov 29 by controversial_jack

No they can't predictions so far have been wildly inaccurate
[Post edited 29 Nov 2023 9:46]

Have they?
European Elections on 10:32 - Nov 29 with 480 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

European Elections on 00:52 - Nov 29 by Kilkennyjack

Not really.

Therefore their years of training and proven expertise allows them to exercise judgement to ensure the best possible outcomes. They have the skilks needed. The tools needed.

Experts can legitimately comment on things as they were or are, but the sort of vaticination you referred to in your post is not worth listening to. Don’t you understand that nobody can accurately predict the future? Especially with the huge number of variables involved. Anything could happen,

European Elections on 10:35 - Nov 29 with 480 viewsAnotherJohn

It seemed to me that the first of the 2023 Reith lectures by Ben Ansell, broadcast this morning, was partly a reaction to "populist" election results. Ansell criticised "majoritarianism", arguing that election or referendum results should not be allowed to over-rule other foundations of liberal democracy. In his view institutions such as the courts, NGOs and the media should be able to check or even block controversial policies supported by national electorates, which he argued depend on attitudes/opinions that change in unpredictable ways over time. I wondered if the title of his talk should have been "ode to juridification", as the courts and international law were what he really had in mind. Conspiracy theorists would probably say that this is exactly the mechanism that "liberal elites" prefer to use to mitigate the effects of unwelcome election results. No doubt Prof Ansell has higher ideals and sees the power of established institutions as a way of preserving liberal democracy. I don't doubt that it went down very well in North Oxford. However, what I think people like Ansell don't get is that there is nothing that undermines faith in democracy as quickly as the perception among voters that nothing will change however they vote.
European Elections on 11:53 - Nov 29 with 456 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Not really.

Which is why they are wrong so often and second options are vital.

It is amazing that since doctors and Surgeons have been on strikes deaths in hospitals have fallen .

European Elections on 14:42 - Nov 29 with 444 viewsGwyn737

European Elections on 10:35 - Nov 29 by AnotherJohn

It seemed to me that the first of the 2023 Reith lectures by Ben Ansell, broadcast this morning, was partly a reaction to "populist" election results. Ansell criticised "majoritarianism", arguing that election or referendum results should not be allowed to over-rule other foundations of liberal democracy. In his view institutions such as the courts, NGOs and the media should be able to check or even block controversial policies supported by national electorates, which he argued depend on attitudes/opinions that change in unpredictable ways over time. I wondered if the title of his talk should have been "ode to juridification", as the courts and international law were what he really had in mind. Conspiracy theorists would probably say that this is exactly the mechanism that "liberal elites" prefer to use to mitigate the effects of unwelcome election results. No doubt Prof Ansell has higher ideals and sees the power of established institutions as a way of preserving liberal democracy. I don't doubt that it went down very well in North Oxford. However, what I think people like Ansell don't get is that there is nothing that undermines faith in democracy as quickly as the perception among voters that nothing will change however they vote.

'...there is nothing that undermines faith in democracy as quickly as the perception among voters that nothing will change however they vote.'

You should pin that sentence. It's perfect.
European Elections on 16:32 - Nov 29 with 434 viewsSullutaCreturned

Not really.

A surgeon only operates on ONE patient, one set of circumstances at a time. An economist has to look at the Uk situation then look at the bigger picture, he has to go global to jusge how the UK might do.

When the surgeon is operating on his patient he doesn't keep looking to see what the rest of the hospital is doing unless something happens to affect the job right in front of him.

Now I hadn't realised your real name was Brian, I do apologise.
European Elections on 17:20 - Nov 29 with 413 viewsAnotherJohn

European Elections on 16:32 - Nov 29 by SullutaCreturned

A surgeon only operates on ONE patient, one set of circumstances at a time. An economist has to look at the Uk situation then look at the bigger picture, he has to go global to jusge how the UK might do.

When the surgeon is operating on his patient he doesn't keep looking to see what the rest of the hospital is doing unless something happens to affect the job right in front of him.

Now I hadn't realised your real name was Brian, I do apologise.

Unmasked as Brian the "Emperor of the Irish"?

https://www.tcd.ie/library/exhibitions/boru/emperor.php#:~:text=Brian%20Boru%20(
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024